Total Posts:135|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

murder wrong in the christian worldview?

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 7:57:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am really curious what a murderer has done wrong according to christians. I want to look at several different things in this situation.

First, lets look at it from what god must or must not have known. If the person is going to heaven, what is the conversation like between god and the murder victim:

God- what are you doing up here?
person- well I was just murdered.
God- well I didn't know that was going to happen.

Huh, god did not know? The christian god knows all and the murderer is just carrying out gods perfect plan. You always here it was their time to go by christians. Well if it was the persons time to go then, why punish the murderer. I mean the murderer was just carrying out gods will. Shouldn't we reward them for following gods will.

Now, lets look at it from the perspective of a murder victim, if you are murdered you get out of this imperfect world and go to heaven which is perfect. Why would this be bad. Wouldn't the murderer be the greatest person ever. Shouldn't your family invite them over to dinner as a reward getting you to heaven faster.

The only reason as a christian you have to say murder is wrong is that it is in the bible. That doesn't really mean much though as it says you are allowed to beat slaves and kill anyone for working on the sabbath and it is just pickng and chosing to say that is your means for finding murder wrong.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 12:15:26 PM
I am sad to see no christian trying to defend their worldview.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 8:42:29 PM
I will they are a sinner they are not following God's will the bible says not to beats slaves and God gave us free will he is not just going to flick the murderer to Japan.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 9:51:56 PM
At 9/3/2011 7:57:50 AM, izbo10 wrote:
I am really curious what a murderer has done wrong according to christians. I want to look at several different things in this situation.

First, lets look at it from what god must or must not have known. If the person is going to heaven, what is the conversation like between god and the murder victim:

Huh, god did not know? The christian god knows all and the murderer is just carrying out gods perfect plan. You always here it was their time to go by christians. Well if it was the persons time to go then, why punish the murderer. I mean the murderer was just carrying out gods will. Shouldn't we reward them for following gods will.

Now, lets look at it from the perspective of a murder victim, if you are murdered you get out of this imperfect world and go to heaven which is perfect. Why would this be bad. Wouldn't the murderer be the greatest person ever. Shouldn't your family invite them over to dinner as a reward getting you to heaven faster.

The only reason as a christian you have to say murder is wrong is that it is in the bible. That doesn't really mean much though as it says you are allowed to beat slaves and kill anyone for working on the sabbath and it is just pickng and chosing to say that is your means for finding murder wrong.

haha this is actually very true.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 9:53:40 PM
At 9/3/2011 8:42:29 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
I will they are a sinner they are not following God's will the bible says not to beats slaves and God gave us free will he is not just going to flick the murderer to Japan.

Actually the bible said it's okay to beat slaves as long as they can get back up....
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 9:56:12 PM
To hijack, or not to hijack... That is the question.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:00:36 PM
At 9/3/2011 9:56:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

Obvious reference to Hamlet's famous soliloquy. What do you think of Shakespeare's plays, poems, and apocrypha?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Sketchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:00:52 PM
At 9/3/2011 9:53:40 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/3/2011 8:42:29 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:

Actually the bible said it's okay to beat slaves as long as they can get back up....

Lol, good point. Luke 12:47-48 to be exact.
http://www.biblegateway.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:06:15 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:00:36 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Obvious reference to Hamlet's famous soliloquy. What do you think of Shakespeare's plays, poems, and apocrypha?

I am not much of a fan of Shakespeare, though I've only read Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I do think however that he is a genius, on the simplistic level, for crafting whole plays in continuous rhyme and rhythm, on the literary level, for eloquently revealing the nuances and patterns of common human behavior and how it shapes the world around us.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:10:59 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:06:15 PM, 000ike wrote:

I am not much of a fan of Shakespeare, though I've only read Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I do think however that he is a genius, on the simplistic level, for crafting whole plays in continuous rhyme and rhythm, on the literary level, for eloquently revealing the nuances and patterns of common human behavior and how it shapes the world around us.

I read Julius Caesar and A Midsummer Night's Dream...It is true that he has captured, on a basic level, the nuances, patterns, and also base natures of human conduct (the complicated love triangle, set by Oberon, in the latter, is an example)...though I do prefer other playwrights...Goethe is well known for weaving in religion and philosophy, and like Shakespeare, writes it in a continuous rhyme and rhythm that almost borders on doggerel, but is amazing complicated in allusion and form, for example. Shakespeare might be a genius in having these talents as well (though some will disagree), but there are others that surpass him in such areas.

But that is only my opinion.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:15:27 PM

I agree that Shakespeare was a truly eloquent poet and playwright (having worked with his work, and playing Hamlet before). However, I DID want to be kind of a buzzkill and point out that in reality only 2 of his plays he actually wrote the stories for--one of them being Titus.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:18:39 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:15:27 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I agree that Shakespeare was a truly eloquent poet and playwright (having worked with his work, and playing Hamlet before). However, I DID want to be kind of a buzzkill and point out that in reality only 2 of his plays he actually wrote the stories for--one of them being Titus.

You're right, he ripped off A Midsummer Nights Dream for example from Pyramus and Thisbe. Although, to his credit, the stories are not identical at all, only the basic plot is, AND he sort of lets the reader know where he got the idea from by including the play, Pyramus and Thisbe as a part of the story in A Midsummer Night's Dream.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:22:17 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:18:39 PM, 000ike wrote:

You're right, he ripped off A Midsummer Nights Dream for example from Pyramus and Thisbe. Although, to his credit, the stories are not identical at all, only the basic plot is, AND he sort of lets the reader know where he got the idea from by including the play, Pyramus and Thisbe as a part of the story in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

True. And, to add to that, originality wasn't a huge thing at the time. In fact, ever since the days of Thespus, drama really has mostly consisted of taking other stories and rehashing them, slightly differently, until finally you start getting a variety of play-styles.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:25:40 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:22:17 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

True. And, to add to that, originality wasn't a huge thing at the time. In fact, ever since the days of Thespus, drama really has mostly consisted of taking other stories and rehashing them, slightly differently, until finally you start getting a variety of play-styles.

Well, he wasn't original..Macbeth is said to have come from Holinshed's Chronicles, which retells the story of the British Isles...King Lear is influenced partly by an ancient poem, titled the Faerie Queene, with a character of Cordelia (similar to King Lear's youngest daughter) who dies from hanging, but primarily by The Chronicles of England, Scotlande, and Irelande by Raphael Holinshed, published in 1587.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:28:32 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:25:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Well, he wasn't original..Macbeth is said to have come from Holinshed's Chronicles, which retells the story of the British Isles...King Lear is influenced partly by an ancient poem, titled the Faerie Queene, with a character of Cordelia (similar to King Lear's youngest daughter) who dies from hanging, but primarily by The Chronicles of England, Scotlande, and Irelande by Raphael Holinshed, published in 1587.

That's what I kinda said. Only 2 of his plays actually were what could be considered "original."

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:30:23 PM
Thats kind of like the same thing that's happening with hollywood right now. No more original movies, they're either based off of best selling books or the idea is cliche and predictable.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:33:49 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:28:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That's what I kinda said. Only 2 of his plays actually were what could be considered "original."

Is it "Julius Caesar" and "Timon of Athens"?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:37:28 PM
At 9/3/2011 10:33:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/3/2011 10:28:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Is it "Julius Caesar" and "Timon of Athens"?

Y'know, I can't for the life of me recall the plays that were supposed to be original. I want to say Titus Andronicus, but that was based on the bloody and violent plays of the time so...

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:31:11 AM

If genocide does not count as murder, then yes.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:54:14 PM
It is truly sad that their must be trolls on everyone of my posts.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:55:40 PM
At 9/4/2011 9:54:14 PM, izbo10 wrote:
A discussion on Shakespeare is a productive conversation, not a work of trolls.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:56:53 PM
At 9/4/2011 9:55:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

If you want to talk shakespeare make a thread about it. This is about christians and finding murder wrong.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:00:22 PM
At 9/4/2011 9:56:53 PM, izbo10 wrote:

If you want to talk shakespeare make a thread about it. This is about christians and finding murder wrong.

You have such belief in the inveterate nature of threads...and their subject matter.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:02:51 PM
At 9/4/2011 10:00:22 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

You have such belief in the inveterate nature of threads...and their subject matter.

Nobody is forcing you to respond please respond to the actual topic or don't respond at all idiot.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:08:42 PM
At 9/4/2011 10:02:51 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Nobody is forcing you to respond please respond to the actual topic or don't respond at all idiot.

I am an atheist, so I would question the view of murder in the 'Christian worldview'...

How about this, based on your opening post, I will ask Christians to answer this question,

"If God is omnibenevolent, and that everything, including a murder, follows his intended path, then how is being murdered a choice of highest moral good?

Does the fact that the victim goes to heaven (assumed) make it so? And if so, does that mean the act of murder was good, and the murderer rewarded?"

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:08:19 PM
At 9/4/2011 10:08:42 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I am an atheist, so I would question the view of murder in the 'Christian worldview'...

How about this, based on your opening post, I will ask Christians to answer this question,

"If God is omnibenevolent, and that everything, including a murder, follows his intended path, then how is being murdered a choice of highest moral good?

Does the fact that the victim goes to heaven (assumed) make it so? And if so, does that mean the act of murder was good, and the murderer rewarded?"

I somehow think you are missing the point, we should all as people know murder is wrong, the point is that the religions docturine shows being murdered might be the best thing that can happen to someone. Sorry, that is ignorant to think that.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:33:35 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:08:19 PM, izbo10 wrote:

I somehow think you are missing the point, we should all as people know murder is wrong, the point is that the religions docturine shows being murdered might be the best thing that can happen to someone. Sorry, that is ignorant to think that.

Common sense morality doesn't work in the face of a debate.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:07:58 AM

It's called counter-trolling and you must approve of it because you know exactly how you can stop it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:52:26 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:33:35 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:08:19 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Common sense morality doesn't work in the face of a debate.

See this is why I call you retarded, debates can't start at scratch there are certain things that can be assumed to be accepted, if murder is wrong is not one of those things then you are a fuckin retard.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:16:18 AM

We are ALL murderers but without the guts to follow our hearts that those doing a life sentence or are on death row have..

If you do not forgive someone then God will not forgive them and you are sending them (and yourself) to an eternal hell. (a REAL murder)

because you are not born again you cannot think spiritually and so contiunually revel in your own one dimensional thinking, believing you have out-witted us or God..
The Cross.. the Cross.