Jump to topic:

Christian canon

Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 8:34:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If one were to reinspect the Christian canon what would you add what would you take out what would you leave in and why

Divine provdence is not a valid answer
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:41:05 PM
Canon in terms of scripture, or canon in terms of theology?

If we are going to go in terms of theology, I think Jesus was attempting to go for a Tao Te Ching kind of thing in a religiously retarded society. The thing was, Jesus loves you all, so he sacrificed himself in order to spread a message that very much resembled what the Tao Te Ching taught. In doing so, he became a hypocrite, and his intentions backfired terribly.

To be a Master Sage, it is not to your benefit to openly preach about it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:43:49 PM
I use the word hypocrite lightly...

Jesus wanted to make an impact, and in doing so, he made an impact. But it is likely that he did not make the impact that he intended to.

I gather this impression from his words.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 10:47:22 PM
If I could take out one part of the bible, it'd be the story with the fig tree. That whole tale seemed really bizzare to me--it didn't seem to fit Jesus.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:08:47 PM
I'd also take out the story of Jacob and his colored flock...It seems rather bizarre to me.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:35:07 AM
At 9/3/2011 8:34:42 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
If one were to reinspect the Christian canon what would you add what would you take out what would you leave in and why

Maybe the sexist stuff, the homophobic stuff, the faith stuff, the slavery stuff. That would be a start.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:58:18 AM

wow, take out revelations and put in The acts of Thecla, I know it is a forgery, but so are many of the letters of Paul that made it in. The bible just needs more man eating seals.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:43:53 AM
I have an idea to.
We can just have a bunch of people on an obscure website toss out or include laws of physics they do or do not like.

Someone can start with Gravity. How boring! We should really be able to fly!
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:56:17 AM
At 9/4/2011 10:43:53 AM, Gileandos wrote:
I have an idea to.
We can just have a bunch of people on an obscure website toss out or include laws of physics they do or do not like.

Calm down. It's a mere hypothetical--presented by a pretty devout Christian, among other things.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:35:29 AM
At 9/4/2011 10:56:17 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I have an idea to.

Calm down. It's a mere hypothetical--presented by a pretty devout Christian, among other things.

I thought it came across pretty clear. I did not see an uncalm mannor relayed by the previous text.

I do not see how him being a devout Christian is relevant.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:54:13 AM
At 9/3/2011 10:47:22 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
If I could take out one part of the bible, it'd be the story with the fig tree. That whole tale seemed really bizzare to me--it didn't seem to fit Jesus.

You would have to take the whole gospel it is recorded in with it
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:54:58 AM
At 9/3/2011 11:08:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I'd also take out the story of Jacob and his colored flock...It seems rather bizarre to me.

you have to take all of Genesis with it
Dude. Shades
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:56:06 AM
At 9/4/2011 12:35:07 AM, Dan4reason wrote:

Maybe the sexist stuff, the homophobic stuff, the faith stuff, the slavery stuff. That would be a start.

We can't take fragments we have to take the full book with it like all of leviticus would have to go
Dude. Shades
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:57:07 AM
At 9/4/2011 9:58:18 AM, izbo10 wrote:

wow, take out revelations and put in The acts of Thecla, I know it is a forgery, but so are many of the letters of Paul that made it in. The bible just needs more man eating seals.

Why put revelations and what is the acts of thelca
Dude. Shades
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:52:25 PM
I have an idea to.

Laws against homosexuality are comparable to the laws of physics? I don't think so.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:50:30 PM

There is an inconsistency never properly addressed between Jesus' stated fundamentalism and his abrogation of the old laws.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 5:36:28 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:57:07 AM, Calvincambridge wrote:

Acts of thecla is a book that contains god striking down man eating seals with bolts of lightning. It would be so awesome for christians to have to explain that. It is about Pauls female companion Thecla. It was very popular in early christianity but was left out of the cannon because it was found to be a forgery. Although knowing what we know now that isn't really an issue, so I say put it back in damn it.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 6:07:10 PM
At 9/4/2011 5:36:28 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Acts of thecla is a book that contains god striking down man eating seals with bolts of lightning. It would be so awesome for christians to have to explain that. It is about Pauls female companion Thecla. It was very popular in early christianity but was left out of the cannon because it was found to be a forgery. Although knowing what we know now that isn't really an issue, so I say put it back in damn it.

That ruins my theroy on Pauls personal opinions on staying single
Dude. Shades
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 6:30:13 PM
At 9/4/2011 12:52:25 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I have an idea to.

Laws against homosexuality are comparable to the laws of physics? I don't think so.

Objective Moral truths are fundamental as Objective rules that govern physics.

Moral laws govern our society and existence as much a physical laws. I am sorry if you do not like that?

Perhaps such a tact should not be taken to pick and choose.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:13:31 PM
lul at objective morality.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:15:49 PM
At 9/4/2011 6:30:13 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I have an idea to.

Moral laws govern our society and existence as much a physical laws. I am sorry if you do not like that?

Lol you do realize that god thought the morally right thing to do was kill someone for working on the sabbath. Is it still wrong to work on the sabbath? If so is it still morally right to kill them? If not what happened to this objective morality garbage?

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:08:00 AM
I have an idea to.

I am sure your subjective morality is fundamental to your subjective life. However I don't see any evidence to support the idea of objective morality. The evidence is simply not there.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 2:55:20 AM
I have an idea to.

What moral laws?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:10:56 AM
At 9/4/2011 6:07:10 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
At 9/4/2011 5:36:28 PM, izbo10 wrote:

That ruins my theroy on Pauls personal opinions on staying single

http://en.wikipedia.org...

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:19:44 AM

Divine providence is the ONLY valid answer as that is what the word 'cannon' is referring to.

This is like saying; what is 2+2?

and 4 is NOT a valid answer!

1984 anyone?
The Cross.. the Cross.