Jump to topic:

Christians: Do you believe in Bible inerrancy

kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 8:46:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I notice more and more Christians no longer hold an inerrant view of their Bible.

Here is my question: If you do not, why do you still believe?
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:11:58 PM
Believe what?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:21:36 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:06:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
No and why shouldn't I?

Virgin born zombie saviors are ridiculous. Why would you believe such nonsense.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:24:22 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:21:36 PM, izbo10 wrote:
No and why shouldn't I?

You have a knack for persuasion.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:34:48 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:24:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
No and why shouldn't I?

Its a serious concern, out of every birth historically recorded by eye witnesses not one has been born of a virgin. Out of every person who has been dead for 3 days not a single one has got up and walked. Yet you believe this nonsense based on books written some 30-70 years after the fact It is complete and utter nonsense and in any other context you would recognize that.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:35:55 PM
No and why shouldn't I?

by the way I am past the point of respect, if you don't respect yourself enough to turn on your brain why should i respect you.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:43:51 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:35:55 PM, izbo10 wrote:
No and why shouldn't I?

by the way I am past the point of respect, if you don't respect yourself enough to turn on your brain why should i respect you.

That's nice.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:56:47 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:43:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2011 10:35:55 PM, izbo10 wrote:
No and why shouldn't I?

That's nice.

You are a grown adult, you do realize Rumpelstiltskin is a fairy tale right?

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 10:58:15 PM
Izbo is kind of a d-bag but raises a legitimate point: if the bible is not inerrant, then why believe in some of the most absurd of the claims? This is a futile question that I don't even know why atheists bother asking. It's a faith thing lol might as well leave it at that. To people like innomen and wjmelements who think being a Christian isn't about taking stuff literally but rather deriving nice little messages applicable to our lives, I'd say that's retarded because then you might as well be a Jew or a Muslim or a Unitarian Universalist or any other denomination that emphasizes practical or moral ideals. I'm an atheist and think it's quite obvious that I can learn a lot of life lessons through the bible's story telling myths, but unless you believe in the miracles and other important stuff (for which there's no reliable evidence whatsoever) then I don't see the point in labeling yourself a Christian. Again, believing in the hear-say stuff without evidence just goes back to being a faith thing.
President of DDO
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:10:27 PM
At 9/6/2011 10:58:15 PM, Danielle wrote:
Izbo is kind of a d-bag but raises a legitimate point: if the bible is not inerrant, then why believe in some of the most absurd of the claims?

This is what I cannot understand. For something that requires you to basically give your entire life, how can you pick and choose what you want to believe in and agree with? I just can't wrap my head around it.

This is a futile question that I don't even know why atheists bother asking. It's a faith thing lol might as well leave it at that. To people like innomen and wjmelements who think being a Christian isn't about taking stuff literally but rather deriving nice little messages applicable to our lives, I'd say that's retarded because then you might as well be a Jew or a Muslim or a Unitarian Universalist or any other denomination that emphasizes practical or moral ideals.

Good point.

I'm an atheist and think it's quite obvious that I can learn a lot of life lessons through the bible's story telling myths, but unless you believe in the miracles and other important stuff (for which there's no reliable evidence whatsoever) then I don't see the point in labeling yourself a Christian. Again, believing in the hear-say stuff without evidence just goes back to being a faith thing.

Sigh. I wish someone had actually answered the OP question. But I notice that Christians have a habit of asking you a question to avoid answering yours.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:13:11 PM
I repeat...

Believe what?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:14:39 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:13:11 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I repeat...

Believe what?

This board can't go one post without some idiot needing every little detail spelled out for him wow. Seems everyone else on here has some concept of what he is talking about, stop being an annoying idiot.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:30:45 PM
I'm an atheist and think it's quite obvious that I can learn a lot of life lessons :through the bible's story telling myths, but unless you believe in the miracles and :other important stuff (for which there's no reliable evidence whatsoever)

Yeah, except I don't agree with that. I think there is evidence - especially for the Resurrection.

And this is pretty much the standard case:

http://www.lydiamcgrew.com...
http://exapologist.blogspot.com...

then I don't see the point in labeling yourself a Christian. Again, believing in the :hear-say stuff without evidence just goes back to being a faith thing.

And testimony is a valid source of knowledge absent defeaters.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:34:45 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:30:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'm an atheist and think it's quite obvious that I can learn a lot of life lessons :through the bible's story telling myths, but unless you believe in the miracles and :other important stuff (for which there's no reliable evidence whatsoever)

Yeah, except I don't agree with that. I think there is evidence - especially for the Resurrection.

then I don't see the point in labeling yourself a Christian. Again, believing in the :hear-say stuff without evidence just goes back to being a faith thing.

Ridiculous testimony within itself with no actual evidence is a defeater itself. We don't have a reliable source for the resurrection at all. Mark some 30 years later? Matthew and Luke 10 years afterwards. Really? I mean seriously its time we grow up and stop making excuses for ridiculous stories and admit they are nonsense.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:42:02 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:34:45 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Ridiculous testimony within itself with no actual evidence is a defeater itself. We don't have a reliable source for the resurrection at all. Mark some 30 years later? Matthew and Luke 10 years afterwards. Really? I mean seriously its time we grow up and stop making excuses for ridiculous stories and admit they are nonsense.

Perhaps you should read my links.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:43:17 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:42:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

perhaps i have already started, sad part is it seems to be taking heresay accounts of witnesses as serious evidence for a ridiculous claim.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:45:15 PM

perhaps you should read some scholarly work not apologetics as well

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:48:40 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:45:15 PM, izbo10 wrote:

perhaps you should read some scholarly work not apologetics as well

I can almost guarantee you that I've read more scholarly work from both believers and non-believers on this subject than you have.

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm even engaging you...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:49:57 PM
"Our argument will proceed on the assumption that we have a substantially accurate text of the four gospels, Acts, and several of the undisputed Pauline epistles (most significantly Galatians and I Corinthians); that the gospels were written, if not by the authors whose names they now bear, at least by disciples of Jesus or people who knew those disciples – people who knew at first hand the details of his life and teaching or people who spoke with those eyewitnesses – and that the narratives, at least where not explicitly asserting the occurrence of a miracle, deserve as much credence as similarly attested documents would be accorded if they reported strictly secular matters."

If webster had the phrase piss poor, he would use it in this example: This quote is an example of piss poor assumptions.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 11:56:24 PM
At 9/6/2011 11:49:57 PM, izbo10 wrote:
"Our argument will proceed on the assumption that we have a substantially accurate text of the four gospels, Acts, and several of the undisputed Pauline epistles (most significantly Galatians and I Corinthians); that the gospels were written, if not by the authors whose names they now bear, at least by disciples of Jesus or people who knew those disciples – people who knew at first hand the details of his life and teaching or people who spoke with those eyewitnesses – and that the narratives, at least where not explicitly asserting the occurrence of a miracle, deserve as much credence as similarly attested documents would be accorded if they reported strictly secular matters."

If webster had the phrase piss poor, he would use it in this example: This quote is an example of piss poor assumptions.

Lol, 'kay.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:00:37 AM
At 9/6/2011 11:56:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lol, 'kay.

These guys seem crudly unaware or to blatantly disregard that the oldest known bible the Codex Sinaiticus is missing many key elements of the resurrection story, and has been changed over the years many times. They seem embarrassingly ignorant of the fact that the gospels were written in highly literate greek, when Jesus disciples were actually lower class (fisherman and the such) who spoke Aramaic. Again according to webster: This quote is an example of piss poor assumptions.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:11:03 AM

Lol, 'kay.

They also seem ridiculously unaware that the most accurate of the gospels mark, has no resurrection story, it ends with a man in white proclaiming the resurrection, its not until a decade or 2 later do we start to see the other resurrection stories.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:13:58 AM
At 9/7/2011 12:11:03 AM, izbo10 wrote:

Lol, 'kay.

They also seem ridiculously unaware that the most accurate of the gospels mark, has no resurrection story, it ends with a man in white proclaiming the resurrection, its not until a decade or 2 later do we start to see the other resurrection stories.

Yet to add further insult to injury, the resurrection is not included in the writings of Q or Quelle, you know the parts of Matthew and Luke that are considered to most likely be true by historians as they come from a more contemporary source.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 2:06:52 AM
I REPEAT.

Believe what?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 4:09:45 AM

The argument from miracles is pretty much self-refuting!

Testimony of supernatural events is not a valid source of knowledge, and you do not believe otherwise.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 4:50:03 AM
At 9/6/2011 8:46:42 PM, kohai wrote:
I notice more and more Christians no longer hold an inerrant view of their Bible.

You must begin with inerrancy, with blind faith.. then even the errancy is within Gods will and there for a reason.

But most people wish to begin with the errancy in order to have another reason for not believing.. God says "Be my guest."
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 4:52:50 AM
At 9/7/2011 4:50:03 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

You must begin with inerrancy, with blind faith.. then even the errancy is within Gods will and there for a reason.

But most people wish to begin with the errancy in order to have another reason for not believing.. God says "Be my guest."

So you believe that the rational human mind should accept something utterly riddled with mistakes, absurdities and inconsistencies just because... well just because?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 4:59:14 AM
At 9/7/2011 4:52:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

So you believe that the rational human mind should accept something utterly riddled with mistakes, absurdities and inconsistencies just because... well just because?

"utterly riddled with mistakes, absurdities and inconsistencies" absolutely not, but that is not the Bible.

Your own, and everyone elses, utter lack of success on this forum prove this point rather nicely.

Every post, every new topic regarding Biblical theology or Christian doctrine I have been pulled to pieces and then been ignored on!

This is called VICTORY where I come from.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:03:29 AM
At 9/7/2011 4:59:14 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/7/2011 4:52:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

"utterly riddled with mistakes, absurdities and inconsistencies" absolutely not, but that is not the Bible.

Your own, and everyone elses, utter lack of success on this forum prove this point rather nicely.

Every post, every new topic regarding Biblical theology or Christian doctrine I have been pulled to pieces and then been ignored on!

This is called VICTORY where I come from.

No you get ignored because you fail to participate in the debate, not because your opponents concede victory. Would you like a biblical debate?