Total Posts:91|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christians forcing their beliefs?

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:30:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Gay marriage is not about religion. Let me know when christians pass a law saying that everyone is required to be a christian.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:33:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:30:52 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Gay marriage is not about religion. Let me know when christians pass a law saying that everyone is required to be a christian.

wow are you serious?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
kowalskil
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:35:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Let me repeat,

RELIGION = THEISM + MANY OTHE THINGS

I wish we had a separate forum for theism.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
.
Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality." <http://csam.montclair.edu...

http://csam.montclair.edu...

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with youn
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:39:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:33:20 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:30:52 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Gay marriage is not about religion. Let me know when christians pass a law saying that everyone is required to be a christian.

wow are you serious?

Yes, passing laws against gay marriage is not shoving religion down anyone's throats, no more than banning murder is shoving religion down people's throats. The Bible also teaches to give away one's money, so are taxes forcing religion upon people? no.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:42:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes... both theists and atheists preach. I don't preach I argue... but feh.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:53:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
well, i don't know about anybody else, but i've never experienced a member of any other religion telling me that i "will go to hell you horrible sinner" for not wanting one of their religious flyers. of course, Christianity is the predominant religion here. if we lived in another country, that had seperation of church from state, would the same thing happen with members of another prominent religion?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:55:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:53:07 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
well, i don't know about anybody else, but i've never experienced a member of any other religion telling me that i "will go to hell you horrible sinner" for not wanting one of their religious flyers. of course, Christianity is the predominant religion here. if we lived in another country, that had seperation of church from state, would the same thing happen with members of another prominent religion?

I've had it once, kind of. A women sitting behind me on a bus tapped my shoulder and asked if I had seen the light of Jesus. I told her that I had, but she went right on into her little spiel.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:56:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:39:01 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:33:20 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:30:52 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Gay marriage is not about religion. Let me know when christians pass a law saying that everyone is required to be a christian.

wow are you serious?

Yes, passing laws against gay marriage is not shoving religion down anyone's throats, no more than banning murder is shoving religion down people's throats. The Bible also teaches to give away one's money, so are taxes forcing religion upon people? no.

You do realize taxation and murder have other reasons for being rules then this, gay marriage on the other hand is strictly being promoted as a religious objection.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:57:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:53:07 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
well, i don't know about anybody else, but i've never experienced a member of any other religion telling me that i "will go to hell you horrible sinner" for not wanting one of their religious flyers. of course, Christianity is the predominant religion here. if we lived in another country, that had seperation of church from state, would the same thing happen with members of another prominent religion?

^oh and this sort of thing doesn't just happen once in a blue moon.

its a generalization, sure, not every christian is the same way, but most generalizations are based on some form of truth.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:01:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:55:22 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:53:07 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I've had it once, kind of. A women sitting behind me on a bus tapped my shoulder and asked if I had seen the light of Jesus. I told her that I had, but she went right on into her little spiel.

LOL, thats too much. she must have been a looney. i take a lot of heat from christians because of the whole "Astrology" thing. i like astrology, big whoop.

i think any religion that has restrictions (which they all do) will be seen as demeaning for those who don't fall into them. and when so many people agree with the religion, it can be perceived as in their face.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:01:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:56:08 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:39:01 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:33:20 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:30:52 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:25:56 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Huh, they are incorporating laws based on bronze age mythology, denying millions of people the right to marriage, but they don't shove their religion in the face?

Gay marriage is not about religion. Let me know when christians pass a law saying that everyone is required to be a christian.

wow are you serious?

Yes, passing laws against gay marriage is not shoving religion down anyone's throats, no more than banning murder is shoving religion down people's throats. The Bible also teaches to give away one's money, so are taxes forcing religion upon people? no.


You do realize taxation and murder have other reasons for being rules then this, gay marriage on the other hand is strictly being promoted as a religious objection.

No, it is being promoted as a moral objection, which is the same reason that murder is outlawed. Murder just happens to be disapproved through more moral beliefs.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
el-badgero
Posts: 1,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:12:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
see Ireland fifty years ago and all the little kids priests were raping. that's shoving it somewhere worse, and then you can fvck a face too. these days we're a much more athiestic society, the priests stripped of their rule, and we don't have children being raped en masse. we're right to argue and dispel such ridiculous and damaging beliefs. the religious are the idiot of today's world cowering in self delusion. how could they argue? are you saying you choose not to rather than can't? and if you can't then how can you justify lending numbers to such twisted and disgusting institutes...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:14:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can say with a fair degree of certainty that YES, not only do certain Christians attempt to force their beliefs on to you, but they also will treat you very different if they find out you are a non-believer.

I've had to deal with it, and it took a long time before the people around me could mellow out to the point that I am treated like a somewhat normal human being.

Even then, because of my experiences of prejudice and dehumanizing discrimination, I prefer to not talk about religion to the religious. The fact of the matter is, I'm not stupid enough to think that I can convert anyone, and at the same time, the complications are not worth it.

These are highly deluded people we are talking about here. They are completely unaware of how deluded they are, and they are impervious to reason. Christians are some of the most judgmental and gossipy people I've ever met. Even the ones that smile, act nice, and pretend like they don't care about your beliefs are secretly resenting you. They are white washed tombs, and I don't care for them. At the same time, I honestly believe(especially in the case of the older ones, not so much the teenagers) that there comes a point where the Christian must straight up lie to themselves in order to persist in their beliefs. I think they are fundamentally dishonest, despite their appearances.

On the bright side, since they are so concerned with appearances, they will often times do good. But I'm fairly certain that they only do good because it makes them look better.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:20:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For the record, religion is government.

In fact, the ancient Jewish religion WAS the state. They weren't the only ones.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:30:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 12:12:08 PM, el-badgero wrote:
see Ireland fifty years ago and all the little kids priests were raping. that's shoving it somewhere worse, and then you can fvck a face too. these days we're a much more athiestic society, the priests stripped of their rule, and we don't have children being raped en masse. we're right to argue and dispel such ridiculous and damaging beliefs. the religious are the idiot of today's world cowering in self delusion. how could they argue? are you saying you choose not to rather than can't? and if you can't then how can you justify lending numbers to such twisted and disgusting institutes...

Good points well made.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:33:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

Christians are generally timid when it comes to explaining the reasoning for their beliefs..

this doesn't mean they're timid in imposing their religious wants on others through Law.. or social pressures..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:35:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 11:19:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One thing that I've heard from Atheists and Agnostics on pretty much every forum I've ever been on (including this one), is that Christians are the ones going around, forcing their beliefs on others, often linked to anecdotal evidence of a few small extremists that don't even come close to representing the hundreds of millions of us in the US alone.

Atheists claim that christians and religious people in general should just leave them alone and let them live life the way they want to live. If there is truly a heaven and hell, they'll deal with it then, but for now, just leave them alone.

However, I've noticed that it seems that it is the Atheists that keep bringing up religion and shoveing it in people's faces. As I look through through the 50 most recently started debates on DDO, we see 11 debates started by Atheists attacking religion and 0 debates started by religious people supporting religion. If we look through the first few pages of the Religion forums, we see that most threads are started by non-religious members attacking religion.

Now, no one should mis-construe this post to saying that people should not talk about religion or debate about it on a debate site, but when people start talking about religion being shoved in people's faces, we should remember that it isn't the christians doing the shoving into anyone's faces.

First off, i agree that it isnt all the christians out there going around, preaching on corner blocks and shoving religion in peoples faces. But the people who are doing it, are loud enough and numerous enough to cause disturbance. Especially those that are trying to enact christian values, ethics and morals, by trying to legislate them as laws, are certainly vocal and powerful enough to gain notice.

If youre not one of them, and infact are against such acts, then great. But if you dont like us complaining and arguing about these, then stop letting it fall on the atheists and non-theists to voice their concerns over this. It should be you christians who should be the ones who are the most vocal and against these things, if you want people to stop bunching these christian minorities with yourselves. Theres a reason why Madalyn Murray Ohair became the most hated woman in america, and thats because most of the christians out there, yes, ones like you, never really thought about how mandatory prayer in public schools was in any way bad. Time and again, its the atheists who are the most vocal, who are the most organized against such things as violations on church and state separation and secular laws.

Secondly, i dont see how forums and debate topics, are "Shoving religion in peoples faces". Its not as if the topics and debates appear as pop-ups and force you to look at them, while you are surfing the web. Its not at all like the preachers at the corners with a megaphone who shout bible quotes at you. No one is forcing you to read the topics, the debates are not unavoidable.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:41:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"When you write about science, you expect to receive all sorts of different letters and emails from those that occupy the world outside. Some of this correspondence comes in the form of ‘job well done', others come as ‘I think you'll find', but always the most baffling are the ‘science is a lie'-type emails. Most of the latter come from religionists of one type or another and usual involve evolution.

Science writers get used to this sort of email. We are used to being harangued for using tools like observation and evidence by those that rely upon faith alone to inform their world-view. But every so often an email drops in your inbox that truly takes your breath away.

Last week one such email dropped into the Cosm inbox. The title of the mail was ‘Galileo was wrong: Evidence that the Earth is the centre of the universe'. It went on to describe how the heliocentric view of our solar system (which places the Sun at its centre) was invented by heretic scientists to undermine the power of the church and that the old-world view of a solar system that orbits the Earth (called geocentrism) is the true reality.

Ordinarily, this sort of message would be dismissed as being the fevered rantings of a delusional individual but a quick ‘Google' proved that this is not the case. It seems there is a growing movement of conservative Roman Catholics who are taking a handful of Bible verses as proof that the Sun, planets and the stars orbit the Earth."

http://www.cosmonline.co.uk...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:41:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Apparently one in five people in Britain and America dismiss Newton's Law of Gravity and believe that the earth is at the centre of the universe.

These people are not retards; they are devout Christians (the two are not synonymous).

They may not insist that everybody shares their misguided beliefs but they do impose their beliefs on their children.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:44:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 12:41:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Apparently one in five people in Britain and America dismiss Newton's Law of Gravity and believe that the earth is at the centre of the universe.

These people are not retards; they are devout Christians (the two are not synonymous).

They may not insist that everybody shares their misguided beliefs but they do impose their beliefs on their children.

One in five? Bull huey! Surely that's not true?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:47:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't believe it.

But I do know plenty of people who can't even have a civil discussion about evolution, because the subject matter itself offends the hell out of them.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:50:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Atheists start debate site debates, theists go door to door.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 12:52:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 12:50:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Atheists start debate site debates, theists go door to door.

And often because their church tells them they must.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:03:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ore_Ele, DDO is not analogous to the real world. Atheists probably instigate attacks on religion here because it is generally very frowned upon or considered taboo, and this is a good place to debate. I refrain from posting anti-religious things on my Facebook for instance because the vast majority of people I know are religious, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable. CosmicAlfonzo is right in that the theists I know, even my friends, look at me differently upon knowing my views.

I'd also like to think that people who are into debating will be more receptive to the logic and reason that atheists use to dismantle religion, whereas most people aren't educated or don't care enough to try and comprehend it. It makes sense that atheists are going to be aggressive in asking people to justify absurd claims. Considering more people are theists than atheists, the suggestion that atheists are just as bad cannot be taken seriously. For every militant atheist there are a dozen fundy's who are typically more intrusive.

You're also completely kidding yourself if you think being against gay marriage is strictly a moral issue and not a religious one. The people who are anti-gay marriage are all religious (find me one that isn't). People also look to their religion for moral guidance, so at the end of the day the idea that procreation is a legitimate moral argument against gay marriage can only be one based on religion. Other ideologies adhere to moral self-interest or what's in the best interest of most so long as it's not harmful (which gay marriage is not). But enough about us gays :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:05:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 12:41:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Apparently one in five people in Britain and America dismiss Newton's Law of Gravity and believe that the earth is at the centre of the universe.

These people are not retards; they are devout Christians (the two are not synonymous).

They may not insist that everybody shares their misguided beliefs but they do impose their beliefs on their children.

10/10 ... Think of the people who don't believe in evolution! It honestly blows my mind lol.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:06:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 1:03:01 PM, Danielle wrote:
The people who are anti-gay marriage are all religious (find me one that isn't).

our little hitler: http://www.debate.org...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:08:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Surely there has got be a distinction made between genuine, mutual and discourse and those who do either want to preach, mindlessly instruct and have no interest in defending beliefs?

Atheists or theists starting debates, forum topics or discussions seems pretty fine by me, as long as they are trying to get somewhere, and aren't just talking at or past each other.

As for atheists evangelising and so on, of course this happens. Anyone who goes on the richard dawkins website knows that this is true, and theists obviously do it as well.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:11:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 12:41:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Apparently one in five people in Britain and America dismiss Newton's Law of Gravity and believe that the earth is at the centre of the universe.

These people are not retards; they are devout Christians (the two are not synonymous).

They may not insist that everybody shares their misguided beliefs but they do impose their beliefs on their children.

I'd be more inclined to believe that 1 in 5 people like to mess with stupid survey questions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"