Jump to topic:

British Humanists run from William lane Craig

unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 8:12:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A pretty dramatic video regarding WLC's upcoming UK tour. In all seriousness though, it's pretty dreadful that people like Dawkins and Grayling just point-blank refuse to defend their views, especially given the kind of rhetoric Dawkins in particular uses to describe religion and belief in God.

On the plus side, I'm glad Stephen Law will be one of the debaters taking on Craig. I still don't expect him to win the debate, but it should be interesting all the same.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 8:15:06 PM
At 9/9/2011 8:12:14 PM, unitedandy wrote:

A pretty dramatic video regarding WLC's upcoming UK tour. In all seriousness though, it's pretty dreadful that people like Dawkins and Grayling just point-blank refuse to defend their views, especially given the kind of rhetoric Dawkins in particular uses to describe religion and belief in God.

On the plus side, I'm glad Stephen Law will be one of the debaters taking on Craig. I still don't expect him to win the debate, but it should be interesting all the same.

Craig is a con man, debates have time limits he runs though 5 arguments long since refuted, but impossible to refute adequately within the constraints of a timed debate. Either Craig missed the class on fallacies at his University or he is incredibly intellectually dishonest.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 1:22:54 AM

Dawkins does not refuse to defend his views, he writes books defending his views. He just refuses to debate with the Izbo and DATCMOTOs of the world because he does not believe they are capable.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 4:19:03 AM

If Craig ever dropped by DDO, I'd be the first in line to debate him. I know for a fact that I could do better than many of the people he debates, which is odd considering most of them have PhDs. It's like they didn't even take the time to study his arguments before they get into the debate.

He's been using the same arguments for 20 years! Seriously, it's not hard to do research and compile the best list of objections on offer. It's not like he's springing a trap on anyone.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 7:55:24 AM
At 9/10/2011 1:22:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Dawkins does not refuse to defend his views, he writes books defending his views. He just refuses to debate with the Izbo and DATCMOTOs of the world because he does not believe they are capable.

The problem with this is its just not true. Dawkins has been happy to talk with folks like Wendy Wright, Ted Haggard and so on, so he clearly engages in this stuff when it suits him. Furthermore, he hasn't even replied to the criticisms Craig, Plantinga and others have made in print, either regarding their criticisms of his own work, or regarding their arguments for the existence of God, as far as I know. In other words, he's just not someone we can take seriously at this point.

Also, with WLC, one can vehemently disagree with pretty much everything he says (which I do), but to say he's not serious is crazy. He's wrote loads of peer-reviewed articles on various issues concerning God's existence, he has written books on things like the nature of time,on the defence of kalam, and has written a score of books on philosophy, and has been described by atheists and theists alike as the world's foremost defender of Christian theism. Continually refusing to debate him on such spurious grounds just seems like a concession that Dawkins could not defend his position against WLC.