Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God: The answer!

izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.

What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:53:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This post reminded me of this video.

"Scientists have determined that the universe was created by- (voiceover) GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD- ig Bang."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:05:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

So medic still thinks god is throwing lightning bolts from the sky, if not then he is lying when he says he doesn't see any that were proven wrong. Plus beyond the claims of things gods did you can look at all the other gods that are man made and are no longer thought to be true and realize that people just like to make up gods for things they don't understand.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:25:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

I have answered this a 1000 times just because you don't listen doesn't mean their isn't a reason.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:33:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:25:33 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

I have answered this a 1000 times just because you don't listen doesn't mean their isn't a reason.:

You don't have a good reason. But from a psychological point of view, I suspect I know exactly why you do it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:36:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:33:05 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:25:33 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

I have answered this a 1000 times just because you don't listen doesn't mean their isn't a reason.:

You don't have a good reason. But from a psychological point of view, I suspect I know exactly why you do it.

The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:42:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?

Well a theist has no reason to believe their beliefs benefit society all the evidence says the opposite.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:52:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

Faith based positions are in my humble opinion pretty unteneble. That's a nice way of saying they appear 'stupid'. Now don't get me wrong there are no end of intelligent theists, but their position is invariably irrational. I am fully aware that makes me sound like a dick!

Someone like Izbo who is distinctly below average intelligence is able to make himself feel like an intelligent thinking adult by going after religious people. It's that simple.

Some people are atheists because that is where their logic takes them, Izbo is an atheist because he is desperate for the intellectual validation he does not really deserve.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:56:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:52:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

Faith based positions are in my humble opinion pretty unteneble. That's a nice way of saying they appear 'stupid'. Now don't get me wrong there are no end of intelligent theists, but their position is invariably irrational. I am fully aware that makes me sound like a dick!

Someone like Izbo who is distinctly below average intelligence is able to make himself feel like an intelligent thinking adult by going after religious people. It's that simple.

Some people are atheists because that is where their logic takes them, Izbo is an atheist because he is desperate for the intellectual validation he does not really deserve.

When he says me he is actually talking about himself, as I can demostrate the logical fallacies and actually grasp logic unlike him, he just is way above his head against me.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:00:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:42:10 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?

Well a theist has no reason to believe their beliefs benefit society all the evidence says the opposite.

All evidence? Yet if I was to challenge that you would throw your toys out of the pram and whine about red herrings or strawmen or whatever bastardised terms you have picked up from the idiots guide to philosophy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:02:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:52:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:16:29 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your obsession with dethroning God's you don't even think exist? Aren't you interested in anything else besides theology?

Faith based positions are in my humble opinion pretty unteneble. That's a nice way of saying they appear 'stupid'. Now don't get me wrong there are no end of intelligent theists, but their position is invariably irrational. I am fully aware that makes me sound like a dick!

Someone like Izbo who is distinctly below average intelligence is able to make himself feel like an intelligent thinking adult by going after religious people. It's that simple.

Some people are atheists because that is where their logic takes them, Izbo is an atheist because he is desperate for the intellectual validation he does not really deserve.

Some people are atheists because that is where their logic takes them, Izbo is an atheist because he is desperate for the intellectual validation he does not really deserve.

So basically what he is saying is I know the arguments and if anyone else uses them they are good but because it is me, they are just me trying to validate myself, really????? Logic is independent of the person making the argument if they are valid they are valid.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:05:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:00:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:42:10 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?

Well a theist has no reason to believe their beliefs benefit society all the evidence says the opposite.

All evidence? Yet if I was to challenge that you would throw your toys out of the pram and whine about red herrings or strawmen or whatever bastardised terms you have picked up from the idiots guide to philosophy.

Statistics show lack of religion correlates with better education, lower crime rate, higher standard of living, and other factors. I have shown these several times in threads you have been in. Stop being an intellectually dishonest idiot. I am not posting them again for you to ignore them. If you don't learn the first 50 times I am not wasting my time again. Go look for them in other posts at this point or google this. It is pretty easy to find if you care about the truth.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:11:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:05:46 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:00:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:42:10 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?

Well a theist has no reason to believe their beliefs benefit society all the evidence says the opposite.

All evidence? Yet if I was to challenge that you would throw your toys out of the pram and whine about red herrings or strawmen or whatever bastardised terms you have picked up from the idiots guide to philosophy.


Statistics show lack of religion correlates with better education, lower crime rate, higher standard of living, and other factors. I have shown these several times in threads you have been in. Stop being an intellectually dishonest idiot. I am not posting them again for you to ignore them. If you don't learn the first 50 times I am not wasting my time again. Go look for them in other posts at this point or google this. It is pretty easy to find if you care about the truth.

If I find a single example of religion having a positive social influence I have discredited your argument. Remember you said all religion... even when you conform to the rules of English you are still unable to form coherent arguments.

Also you make the logical fallacy of assuming that correlation = causation. That is possibly one of the most basic of logical fallacies, no one with any education in maths, science, philosophy, anthropology or logic would ever make that mistake.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:29:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:05:03 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

So medic still thinks god is throwing lightning bolts from the sky, if not then he is lying when he says he doesn't see any that were proven wrong.

You're mischaracterizing what I said.

Plus beyond the claims of things gods did you can look at all the other gods that are man made and are no longer thought to be true and realize that people just like to make up gods for things they don't understand.

And people like to deny things that interfere with their personal agenda,
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:37:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:11:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:05:46 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:00:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:42:10 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:40:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fact that this happens and many other things happen and we accept it due to stupid beliefs is enough.:

So you're on a moral crusade, yet it pisses you off when theists do the same thing?

Well a theist has no reason to believe their beliefs benefit society all the evidence says the opposite.

All evidence? Yet if I was to challenge that you would throw your toys out of the pram and whine about red herrings or strawmen or whatever bastardised terms you have picked up from the idiots guide to philosophy.


Statistics show lack of religion correlates with better education, lower crime rate, higher standard of living, and other factors. I have shown these several times in threads you have been in. Stop being an intellectually dishonest idiot. I am not posting them again for you to ignore them. If you don't learn the first 50 times I am not wasting my time again. Go look for them in other posts at this point or google this. It is pretty easy to find if you care about the truth.

If I find a single example of religion having a positive social influence I have discredited your argument. Remember you said all religion... even when you conform to the rules of English you are still unable to form coherent arguments.

Also you make the logical fallacy of assuming that correlation = causation. That is possibly one of the most basic of logical fallacies, no one with any education in maths, science, philosophy, anthropology or logic would ever make that mistake.

Bump: I'd like you to to defend or concede your statements instead of just ignoring them to troll somewhere else.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:39:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.

A would be a rational choice, but even so, there's more to the story. Nothing happens if you don't turn on the burner.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:44:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:39:20 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.

A would be a rational choice, but even so, there's more to the story. Nothing happens if you don't turn on the burner.

so medic how about my leprechaun example buddy, why do you have faith in your ridiculous god story, and not grant the leprechaun story the same faith?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:45:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:39:20 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.

A would be a rational choice, but even so, there's more to the story. Nothing happens if you don't turn on the burner.

My point is you go with the simple explanation that seems consistent with the world as you know it.

As retarded and offensive as Izbo is he is actually making a sensible point when he whines and rants about unicorns and leprechauns. It is not rational to assume that such entities exist because you don't have positive evidence against them and they might just be very good at hiding.

Sure you can propose the existence of a unicorn, but without finding it's droppings how rational is it to believe in it?

Surely the same thing applies to God? There ought be some evidence, logical or otherwise for his existence and I don't think the case has been made.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:47:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:34:04 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:29:55 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:05:03 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

So medic still thinks god is throwing lightning bolts from the sky, if not then he is lying when he says he doesn't see any that were proven wrong.

You're mischaracterizing what I said.

Plus beyond the claims of things gods did you can look at all the other gods that are man made and are no longer thought to be true and realize that people just like to make up gods for things they don't understand.

And people like to deny things that interfere with their personal agenda,

OK, fuckin retard here is something for you to consider, 6 billion years ago leprechauns got tired of living outside of time and space, so the created the universe to live in. The created life on several planets to interact with them. On earth they use rainbows as places to hide their most cherished possessions. The got tired of being chased and observed thousands of years ago in ireland so they left earth and went to another planet they created to live. You can't disprove it, so its so fuckin obvious that a person who believes this is on the same grounds as a person who disregards this as complete and utter fuckin nonsense, right jackass.

If you keep stamping your feet and bringing up absurd comparisons, maybe someday you'll believe it.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:48:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:47:48 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:34:04 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:29:55 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:05:03 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:16:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 2:12:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:19:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Why do the tides come in and out? Answer centuries ago a water god pulled them in and out. Failed!

Why does the sun rise? Answer centuries ago a god pulled it up on a firey chariot. Failed

What causes the moon to rise? Answer centuries ago God pulling it up in the sky. Failed.

What is lightning? Answer centuries ago a god throws it out of the sky. Failed

Why does the earth stay up? Answer centuries ago god holds it up. Failed

What causes certain emotions? Answer centuries ago they were caused by gods. Failed

Why do crops grow? Answer centuries ago blessings from agricultural gods. Failed.


What is the ultimate reason for the universe? Answer given centuries ago a god created it.

Hmm wonder whether this little doozy of a question will follow the same pattern of all the other gods asserted by ancient goat and pig herders, couldn't be could it?

Sure we have more detail about how things happen, but I don't see one question on here which you've shown that God is not ultimately responsible for.

True, but shouldn't a rational person find explanations that are as simple or as evident as possible? To suggest that God is ultimately behind all these things is elaborate and uneccessary.

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

So medic still thinks god is throwing lightning bolts from the sky, if not then he is lying when he says he doesn't see any that were proven wrong.

You're mischaracterizing what I said.

Plus beyond the claims of things gods did you can look at all the other gods that are man made and are no longer thought to be true and realize that people just like to make up gods for things they don't understand.

And people like to deny things that interfere with their personal agenda,

OK, fuckin retard here is something for you to consider, 6 billion years ago leprechauns got tired of living outside of time and space, so the created the universe to live in. The created life on several planets to interact with them. On earth they use rainbows as places to hide their most cherished possessions. The got tired of being chased and observed thousands of years ago in ireland so they left earth and went to another planet they created to live. You can't disprove it, so its so fuckin obvious that a person who believes this is on the same grounds as a person who disregards this as complete and utter fuckin nonsense, right jackass.

If you keep stamping your feet and bringing up absurd comparisons, maybe someday you'll believe it.

OH, so did we get to see your bias, a leprechaun is absurd, god is not, why is this?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:52:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"And people like to deny things that interfere with their personal agenda,"- hmm wonder whether this applies to you and the leprechaun hypothesis.

It certainly applies to me with the god hypothesis, my agenda is the search for the truth, the god hypothesis has gotten us nowhere in that search, so since it has retarded or interfered with this quest, yes I do throw it out.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:53:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:52:13 AM, izbo10 wrote:
"And people like to deny things that interfere with their personal agenda,"- hmm wonder whether this applies to you and the leprechaun hypothesis.

It certainly applies to me with the god hypothesis, my agenda is the search for the truth, the god hypothesis has gotten us nowhere in that search, so since it has retarded or interfered with this quest, yes I do throw it out.

You appear to be evading my questions why is that?

When you make a moral statement, such as "x is wrong" do you mean that,
a) X is factually incorrect.

or

b) You simply dislike X.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:55:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:45:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:39:20 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.

A would be a rational choice, but even so, there's more to the story. Nothing happens if you don't turn on the burner.

My point is you go with the simple explanation that seems consistent with the world as you know it.

As retarded and offensive as Izbo is he is actually making a sensible point when he whines and rants about unicorns and leprechauns. It is not rational to assume that such entities exist because you don't have positive evidence against them and they might just be very good at hiding.

Sure you can propose the existence of a unicorn, but without finding it's droppings how rational is it to believe in it?

Surely the same thing applies to God? There ought be some evidence, logical or otherwise for his existence and I don't think the case has been made.

at work and got a call, will answer later
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 9:57:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 9:55:10 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:45:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 9:39:20 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:47:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:03:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Maybe elaborate, but that doesn't make it the wrong answer. We can't know if it's necessary or unnecessary until we have a definitive, conclusive answer. People say that God isn't necessary to explain how the universe got here, then they give a theory. First, it's a theory because it's unproven. Secondly, even if it were proven, how do we know that's the end of the story?? Anyone who can imagine how the universe might have got here can claim that God isn't necessary to explain it, but that doesn't make them right.

I want a cup of tea. I fill the kettle with water and put in onto boil. What happens?
a) The electricity heats the element which heats the water.
b) The electricity heats the element which open a portal to somewhere else, teleports away my cold water and replaces it with hot water.
c) A small invisible imp is summoned, posseses the element and heats the water.
d) I never got to actually turn the kettle on, ten seconds after I thought I did God created the universe and fabricated all memories from before that event.
e) I am a brain in a vat in a computer simulation.

All these options could be correct... but I am going to go with A.

A would be a rational choice, but even so, there's more to the story. Nothing happens if you don't turn on the burner.

My point is you go with the simple explanation that seems consistent with the world as you know it.

As retarded and offensive as Izbo is he is actually making a sensible point when he whines and rants about unicorns and leprechauns. It is not rational to assume that such entities exist because you don't have positive evidence against them and they might just be very good at hiding.

Sure you can propose the existence of a unicorn, but without finding it's droppings how rational is it to believe in it?

Surely the same thing applies to God? There ought be some evidence, logical or otherwise for his existence and I don't think the case has been made.

at work and got a call, will answer later

Sure, as an addition of course there are logical and evidential arguments for God, they just don't convince me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.