Total Posts:53|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What's wrong with being an athiest?

Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:32:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

I have a problem with religion. Does that make me snobby/pretentious? I don't think so. I think that makes me a logical person.
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:36:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 5:32:05 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

I have a problem with religion. Does that make me snobby/pretentious? I don't think so. I think that makes me a logical person.

Exactly! Thinking in a different perspective does not make you a snob!
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:48:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 5:36:35 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/10/2011 5:32:05 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

I have a problem with religion. Does that make me snobby/pretentious? I don't think so. I think that makes me a logical person.

Exactly! Thinking in a different perspective does not make you a snob!

Well, you've already described the paradox, have you not? They are not logical, therefore they describe people who actually use logic as snobby, kind of like poor people calling rich people greedy.
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:42:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 6:50:52 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 9/10/2011 6:50:41 PM, Rusty wrote:
Atheist*

Sorry...
Lool it's okay thanks for correcting me
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
inferno
Posts: 10,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:58:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 4:42:39 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/10/2011 6:50:52 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 9/10/2011 6:50:41 PM, Rusty wrote:
Atheist*

Sorry...
Lool it's okay thanks for correcting me

The list is too long to write here. Do you have like a day ?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:02:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You won't find that here--us atheists are the second largest "religious" group on here.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 7:48:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.

Ohai, inferno. I thought you may have gotten bored for a while.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:22:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.

That's not a defensible claim.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 4:47:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

The principal problem with being an atheist is that it is a false position, like believing 2+2=5.

Now, you are perfectly free to believe that 2+2=5.. and until you come to build a house, it won't do you any great harm.

Exactly, the same with atheism, until a crisis hits your life then it's a pretty harmless position to adopt.

Ultimately, we are ALL going to stand before the judgment seat of Jesus christ, The Son of God!

It is our response to Him and His gospel that matters. Nothing else.
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 7:15:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 4:47:45 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

The principal problem with being an atheist is that it is a false position, like believing 2+2=5.

Now, you are perfectly free to believe that 2+2=5.. and until you come to build a house, it won't do you any great harm.

Exactly, the same with atheism, until a crisis hits your life then it's a pretty harmless position to adopt.

Ultimately, we are ALL going to stand before the judgment seat of Jesus christ, The Son of God!

It is our response to Him and His gospel that matters. Nothing else.

Lol, crisis hits your life? Really you don't think atheists make it through crisis? You are absolutely ridiculous.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:46:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.
Deep internally conflicting issues? Really?
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:22:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 2:46:53 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.
Deep internally conflicting issues? Really?

Because someone doesn't have faith in a supreme being that has NO evidence of actually existing, that means that that person has deep internally conflicting issues?
Thats ridiculous
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
gr33k_fr33k5
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:25:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
absolutely nothing wrong with being an athiest :) and this is from a die hard christian . . . dont think that wont mean ill tell you one hundred times a day your wrong though, seeing as i'd expect nothing less from you.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:29:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 6:22:23 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/13/2011 2:46:53 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.
Deep internally conflicting issues? Really?

Because someone doesn't have faith in a supreme being that has NO evidence of actually existing, that means that that person has deep internally conflicting issues?
Thats ridiculous

If someone greatly desires there to be a supernatural aspect to life but is an absolute atheist/naturalist then yes there is internal conflict. That is me, but I am in a minority... or just honest.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:39:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 6:25:20 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
absolutely nothing wrong with being an athiest :) and this is from a die hard christian . . . dont think that wont mean ill tell you one hundred times a day your wrong though, seeing as i'd expect nothing less from you.

Thanks a lot! :D I don't have problems with people that follow faith at all! It's just when some of them act self righteous and try to shove their views down your throat that really bothers me. Same with Atheists too. Some can act self righteous too.
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:44:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 6:29:24 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/13/2011 6:22:23 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/13/2011 2:46:53 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:12:56 PM, inferno wrote:
Being an Atheist means that you have deep internally conflicting issues with yourself and sometimes others.
Deep internally conflicting issues? Really?

Because someone doesn't have faith in a supreme being that has NO evidence of actually existing, that means that that person has deep internally conflicting issues?
Thats ridiculous

If someone greatly desires there to be a supernatural aspect to life but is an absolute atheist/naturalist then yes there is internal conflict. That is me, but I am in a minority... or just honest.

It's not really inner conflict. It's more of coming to terms with what you believe in and being honest with yourself.
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
gr33k_fr33k5
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 7:15:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 6:39:25 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 9/13/2011 6:25:20 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
absolutely nothing wrong with being an athiest :) and this is from a die hard christian . . . dont think that wont mean ill tell you one hundred times a day your wrong though, seeing as i'd expect nothing less from you.

Thanks a lot! :D I don't have problems with people that follow faith at all! It's just when some of them act self righteous and try to shove their views down your throat that really bothers me. Same with Atheists too. Some can act self righteous too.

the line between conviction and snobbery is extremely fine, unfortunately i cross it a little more often than i'd like
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 4:53:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 7:15:41 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/13/2011 4:47:45 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/10/2011 5:20:26 PM, Yarely wrote:
There have been plenty of forums I've seen where people have been complaining on how being an athiest is illogical.
Illogical?
Religion/spirituality really relies on faith. Faith has nothing to do with logic! The definition of faith is "Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
This is the definition of logic "A particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference."
To say that athiests are illogical for thinking this way is a paradox!
I for one don't have a problem with people who are religious/spiritual. I respect their faith. It's a misconception that all athiests are pretentious and/or snobby

The principal problem with being an atheist is that it is a false position, like believing 2+2=5.

Now, you are perfectly free to believe that 2+2=5.. and until you come to build a house, it won't do you any great harm.

Exactly, the same with atheism, until a crisis hits your life then it's a pretty harmless position to adopt.

Ultimately, we are ALL going to stand before the judgment seat of Jesus christ, The Son of God!

It is our response to Him and His gospel that matters. Nothing else.

Lol, crisis hits your life? Really you don't think atheists make it through crisis? You are absolutely ridiculous.

Make it through physically perhaps, yes.

But spiritually? It doesn't even take a crisis; the drip drip of everyday unforgiveness (or conditional love) slowly erodes the atheists spiritual constitution, making them, by old age, bitter, regretful and suspicious..
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.

Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..
The Cross.. the Cross.
hotdog
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 3:54:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.

Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..

Call yourself a christian do you? If some atheists end up embittered it's hardly any wonder after having to deal with sanctimonious christians like you. Jesus would be so ashamed ....
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 5:18:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/17/2011 3:54:26 AM, hotdog wrote:
At 9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.

Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..

Call yourself a christian do you? If some atheists end up embittered it's hardly any wonder after having to deal with sanctimonious christians like you. Jesus would be so ashamed ....

would be? you mean is, right?
The Cross.. the Cross.
hotdog
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 8:48:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/17/2011 5:18:12 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/17/2011 3:54:26 AM, hotdog wrote:
At 9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.

Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..

Call yourself a christian do you? If some atheists end up embittered it's hardly any wonder after having to deal with sanctimonious christians like you. Jesus would be so ashamed ....

would be? you mean is, right?

either way.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 11:22:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've been through more crises than a person my age should ever go through, and I'll tell you this...

My ability to cope never had anything to do with my belief in Jesus, even when I was a Christian.

My ability to cope with things has only gotten better as I quit deluding myself into believing that Christianity is as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4.

Seriously Dat, you can't believe what you are saying.

Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..

I allow people in my life that most Christians would throw to the curb. On a daily basis, I deal with the mentally ill, the drug addicted, and the homeless.

Does that mean that I trust people more or less? No, it means that I have my priorities in order, and that there is more that I'm willing to risk for the sake of love.

Or at least, you could say that.

You know Dat, your ineffectiveness around here might have to do with the things that you believe about other people. The things you say are sometimes offensively ignorant, and reveal a dark side that you probably aren't intending to project. But as it is written, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh."
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
hotdog
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 2:04:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/17/2011 11:22:09 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/14/2011 5:00:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/13/2011 10:24:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yes, but now your heart is a little harder, you're a little less loving and trusting, right?

drip.. drip..

I allow people in my life that most Christians would throw to the curb. On a daily basis, I deal with the mentally ill, the drug addicted, and the homeless.

that's very christian behaviour. If only more christians would actually practice such things instead of telling everyone else to do it ...