Jump to topic:

Supernatural Healing -A Personal Testimony

VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:01:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A few weeks ago, I had mentioned that I knew someone who had been supernaturally healed. I had said that one of this lady's legs was six inches shorter than the other due to polio and that during a Christian meeting a minister laid hands on her and prayed for her and her polio leg grew six inches to match the healthy leg before the eyes of many witnesses. As would be expected, there was some skepticism from my atheist friends. Cerebral_Narcissist had questions and doubts, and asked me to reveal this person's name. I told him I felt it would not be appropriate to give that information on the Internet, but that I would contact the lady and ask her to tell her story here. I have done so, and she has agreed to do so. Her username is I_Am_That_Woman. Please feel free to ask her any questions concerning her healing.

Once again, I will agree with my atheist friends that it is not fair of Christians to expect you to have BLIND faith in God. I can vouch for the fact that I_Am_That_Woman is not delusional, nor does she act as though she is "three bricks shy of a full load." She is a normal and sane woman. I first met her as my boss in a retail sales job when I was in college. She has been a manager for a number of retail stores over the years, so she is certainly mentally competent. I feel I_Am_That_Woman's healing is certainly good evidence for a theistic world view.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 12:45:52 PM
Is she aware that she is probably going to be interrogated by a few people? Some who are probably less than polite?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:16:51 PM
Problem: One case is not enough proof for the Theist worldview. If there were a loving God, he would heal the majority of amputees and leave only the sinister sinners who have earned their way to hell. Why would God heal just her and nobody else?

Are you really going to claim that the majority of amputees are evil and not worthy of Gods healing?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:45:42 PM
Even if she has been healed (which I fully believe is possible), it does not prove anything about a Christian God. Faith healing or the power of belief has healed many people from many different spiritual backgrounds all around the world. Your evidence proves nothing about the bible or Christian God being any more valid than any other God or spiritual beliefs.

I am glad to hear about the woman's healed leg though (if it's true). Good things come to those who believe in a positive way. Light and Love to her.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:25:15 PM
At 9/13/2011 11:01:18 AM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:
A few weeks ago, I had mentioned that I knew someone who had been supernaturally healed. I had said that one of this lady's legs was six inches shorter than the other due to polio and that during a Christian meeting a minister laid hands on her and prayed for her and her polio leg grew six inches to match the healthy leg before the eyes of many witnesses. As would be expected, there was some skepticism from my atheist friends. Cerebral_Narcissist had questions and doubts, and asked me to reveal this person's name. I told him I felt it would not be appropriate to give that information on the Internet, but that I would contact the lady and ask her to tell her story here. I have done so, and she has agreed to do so. Her username is I_Am_That_Woman. Please feel free to ask her any questions concerning her healing.

Once again, I will agree with my atheist friends that it is not fair of Christians to expect you to have BLIND faith in God. I can vouch for the fact that I_Am_That_Woman is not delusional, nor does she act as though she is "three bricks shy of a full load." She is a normal and sane woman. I first met her as my boss in a retail sales job when I was in college. She has been a manager for a number of retail stores over the years, so she is certainly mentally competent. I feel I_Am_That_Woman's healing is certainly good evidence for a theistic world view.

Ever hear of Peter Popoff? Cured people of all sorts of diseases, tumors, etc just by praying and touching the ill. He could even tell the person what they ailment and name was without EVER meeting them before.

If you look at interviews with the people he "touched" they all claim to feel healed.

AMAZING! HE MUST BE THE REAL DEAL!

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:28:56 PM
My main interest would be the testimony of her doctor.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:36:39 PM
At 9/13/2011 2:28:56 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

"Funny, that miracle took place right after her leg extension surgery."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:47:57 PM
I've been around faith healers my whole life. Never seen it done convincingly, though the people involved all go along with it.

It doesn't happen though, it's all, like many things to do with religion, psychological warfare. There are few things as mind fvcking as the first time someone attempts to cast demons out of you(especially if you consider yourself a believer).
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
i_am_that_woman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:10:43 PM
first of all let me say, yes i realize that i may be "grilled" by many.
secondly i will answer questions concerning God's goodness to me.
however will not debate whether or not God exist. i believe that to be futile. i can only say what happened to me and how i interprept it. i can no more PROVE to anyone that God did these things for me than anyone can prove He didn't. i agreed to this venture show the love, mercy and grace of the Father of all mercies. of course some will disagree and argue that my healing is invalid, and of course all have a right to their opinion. i would never insinuate otherwise. on the other hand if i am able to help or even open a mind or spirit to another school of thought i will be happy to oblige. it is my belief that we all could and should learn from one another.
i_am_that_woman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:13:11 PM
At 9/13/2011 2:36:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/13/2011 2:28:56 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

"Funny, that miracle took place right after her leg extension surgery."

i've not ever had "leg extension surgery", didn't even know it existed.
i_am_that_woman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:16:26 PM
At 9/13/2011 12:38:50 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Was it videotaped? If not why? Because then we just have hearsay evidence....

services were not videotaped, this happened back in the late 1980's and not customarily taped as it was not a very large church, around a hundred people or so. i can't remember ever having a service videotaped.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:45:21 PM
At 9/13/2011 5:10:43 PM, i_am_that_woman wrote:
however will not debate whether or not God exist. i believe that to be futile. i can only say what happened to me and how i interprept it. i can no more PROVE to anyone that God did these things for me than anyone can prove He didn't. i agreed to this venture show the love, mercy and grace of the Father of all mercies. of course some will disagree and argue that my healing is invalid, and of course all have a right to their opinion. i would never insinuate otherwise. on the other hand if i am able to help or even open a mind or spirit to another school of thought i will be happy to oblige. it is my belief that we all could and should learn from one another.

Granted that your story is true, there still remains many critical unanswered questions that poke holes in the idea that this is evidence for the Christian God or Theist world view. .

How is it evidence that Yahweh exists? What denomination was your church and does that mean it is the one true denomination?

Does this mean God thinks the majority of all the other amputees are evil and undeserving of healing? What about all the armless children suffering in the Middle East?

Why is God not making a greater effort to heal some of the greater ails of the world that need healing?

Why didn't he eradicate AIDS? There's so many other healing acts he could have done other than make someones short leg grow 6 inches.

Doesn't this make your God evil and irrationally selective?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:20:30 PM
At 9/13/2011 5:45:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Ill take a poke at a few of these . . .

Granted that your story is true, there still remains many critical unanswered questions that poke holes in the idea that this is evidence for the Christian God or Theist world view. .

How is it evidence that Yahweh exists? What denomination was your church and does that mean it is the one true denomination?

true denomination? God is interested in the heart, not what we call him or what denomination we are.

Does this mean God thinks the majority of all the other amputees are evil and undeserving of healing? What about all the armless children suffering in the Middle East?

God doesnt think anythin, he knows :) . . . anyways, yes, the truth is we are all evil, whether you like it or not thats a central teaching of christianity. . . So all the "armless children" are just as undeserving of grace as the rest of us.

Why is God not making a greater effort to heal some of the greater ails of the world that need healing?

Who are you (or anyone) to say that he isn't? Perhaps, we simply don't know what the "greater ails" are . . . To think that as humans with our puny understanding of existence we can possibly make accurate speculation as to what these "greater ails" are is ridiculous.

Why didn't he eradicate AIDS? There's so many other healing acts he could have done other than make someones short leg grow 6 inches.

Hypothetical questions do nothing to prove/disprove the validity of her experience. . . but He'd know better than me, why don't you ask him some time. . .

Not at all . .. if humans are all evil and deserving of exactly what they "get" in life (which is a core doctrine of Christianity) then God is simply dealing out mercy, and whom De gives it to is simply based on His will.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:29:55 PM

I'm glad your leg healed. It does not show as support to me of a Christian God though. People are naive and rarely leave themselves open to understand how or why something happens. Faith healings and healings through belief happen all through the world everyday. Christianity isn't any special case. Nothing special about it really, unless you want to follow a tyrant God who judges you, wants you to be a slave by choice, and demands that he is worshiped. If that's what you want to believe in... go right on ahead. I could and would never want to support such spiritual beliefs though.

Like I said, if you are indeed real... (which I'm not convinced of) I'm glad that your leg healed. Bet it feels good to walk and run like a normal person.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 6:38:24 PM
At 9/13/2011 6:20:30 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:

Ill take a poke at a few of these . . .

true denomination? God is interested in the heart, not what we call him or what denomination we are.

God doesnt think anythin, he knows :) . . . anyways, yes, the truth is we are all evil, whether you like it or not thats a central teaching of christianity. . . So all the "armless children" are just as undeserving of grace as the rest of us.

Who are you (or anyone) to say that he isn't? Perhaps, we simply don't know what the "greater ails" are . . . To think that as humans with our puny understanding of existence we can possibly make accurate speculation as to what these "greater ails" are is ridiculous.

Hypothetical questions do nothing to prove/disprove the validity of her experience. . . but He'd know better than me, why don't you ask him some time. . .

Not at all . .. if humans are all evil and deserving of exactly what they "get" in life (which is a core doctrine of Christianity) then God is simply dealing out mercy, and whom De gives it to is simply based on His will.

What reasons do you have to believe that Christianity is true or justified?

What proof do you have that any of it's doctrines are truly divine or valid as being the actual truth above all opposing knowledge?

What reasons do you have to believe that the bible wasn't anything more than a book written by men who believed certain things spiritually and nothing more?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 7:35:52 PM
There is not one faith healer on earth, who demands bring me the amputee's, I don't care if every person and every camera watches, cause I am the real deal, no funny business going on here, the amputee will be healed.

NEVER HAPPENS.....Do I really need to explain why ? deep down you already know the answer.

But but but, I saw a faith healer do this song and dance and a person who was in a wheel chair got up and said its a miracle, praise Jesus or Allah or Krishna.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
i_am_that_woman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 7:45:10 PM

I do not seek to prove Yahweh exist, that's not my mission. the church i attended when this took place was non-denominational, at no time have i ever believed that one church or group of believers are the only and true denomination.

i do not believe that God thinks the majority of any group of people are evil and undeserving. what about armless children in the middle east?

i am not at liberty to speak for what and why God does or doesn't do, because i simply do not know the answer to that question, however my question to you would be what are you doing to heal the world of what ails it? it never ceases to amaze me that that question is always asked and amazes me even more that we expect God to do for us what He has already given us the ability to do for ourselves.

how do we know He won't eradicate aids? yes, there is plenty for Him to do, but a personal relationship with Jesus (or anyone for that matter) would mean they are interested in even the smallest details of your life.

well of course i won't say that God is evil and irrationally selective but i will say that He is God, i am not. His ways are higher than my ways. it isn't blind faith that makes me answer thus but the rather just plain faith. i suppose i could go on for a while answering this question but i will not..............
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:22:32 PM
At 9/13/2011 5:16:26 PM, i_am_that_woman wrote:

services were not videotaped, this happened back in the late 1980's and not customarily taped as it was not a very large church, around a hundred people or so. i can't remember ever having a service videotaped.

Before and after pictures? Anything to substantiate the claim other than hearsay?
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 9:15:20 PM
At 9/13/2011 6:38:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/13/2011 6:20:30 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:

What reasons do you have to believe that Christianity is true or justified?

Christianity is true because it stands out from other religions. I have witnessed its life changing effects and for me personally, that was enough. I understand that others might take more convincing, however skepticism doesn't equal intelligence :).

What proof do you have that any of it's doctrines are truly divine or valid as being the actual truth above all opposing knowledge?

well, seeing as I believe in Biblical inerrancy thats one. Secondly I've seen the impact that those doctrines have had on countless friends of mine which proves to me the power behind them. Truth against all opposing knoweledge? I suppose that one comes down to faith, however, thus far I have yet to find fault with any of the teachings, which is far better than I can say for science.

What reasons do you have to believe that the bible wasn't anything more than a book written by men who believed certain things spiritually and nothing more?

Well for one it was written by men who believed certain things spiritually. However, I feel like this is similar to the above question.

These answers are simply my view on all of this. . . they really aren't meant to convince you to Christianity :p, and by no means do i represent all Christians in what I say. . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:19:29 AM
At 9/13/2011 8:22:32 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 9/13/2011 5:16:26 PM, i_am_that_woman wrote:

Before and after pictures? Anything to substantiate the claim other than hearsay?

She is saying that it happened to her. My telling her story is hearsay, because I wasn't there. Her telling the story is a witness testimony, because she says it happened to her. If you wish to cross examine your witness to find inconsistencies in her story, that's one thing; but, she is not giving you hearsay. Long before DNA evidence, murder cases were proven in court by the testimony of witnesses and through the application of logic and cross examination. In this case, Jesus is on trial, and you have a witness to His supernatural power to heal. Ask her questions and use your logic.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:23:21 AM

Ever heard of photoshop?
The Cross.. the Cross.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:10:26 AM
At 9/14/2011 5:23:21 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Ever heard of photoshop?

Dat has a good point, there are thousands of excuses.

There are to many instances where Jesus healed and people rejected Him anyway.

Evidence is not enough, it never has been and never will be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:48:07 AM
At 9/14/2011 8:10:26 AM, jharry wrote:

Ever heard of photoshop?

The Jesus of the Bible did not hand out homeopathic remedies and scented candles, he cured leprosy with a touch, made the lame walk again and brought back the dead.

How could anyone have rejected that?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:17:42 AM
At 9/14/2011 8:48:07 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Ever heard of photoshop?

The Jesus of the Bible did not hand out homeopathic remedies and scented candles, he cured leprosy with a touch, made the lame walk again and brought back the dead.

They wanted to.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:31:54 AM
At 9/14/2011 9:17:42 AM, jharry wrote:

Ever heard of photoshop?

They wanted to.

That's just not realistic to me.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:40:20 AM
At 9/14/2011 9:31:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

They wanted to.

Have you ever been betrayed by someone you love? A lover? A friend? Family?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:59:29 AM
At 9/14/2011 9:40:20 AM, jharry wrote:
At 9/14/2011 9:31:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

They wanted to.

Have you ever been betrayed by someone you love? A lover? A friend? Family?

Yes.

But I've never had my divinity denied after bringing a rotting body back from the dead.

In all seriousness the miracles of Jesus are not consistent with history, if the bible is at all accurate there is not sufficient mass conversion to Christ to justify belief that he ever performed miracles.

Doesn't he heal a roman soldier during his arrest? In reality they would have hailed him as a unique magician or a God.
i_am_that_woman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:39:55 AM
i have no pictures that show the before and after effects persay. as is the case with most people i have pictures that do show my legs both before and after that night. many bald people have pictures back when they had hair, many old people have pictures back when they were young but really what DOES THAT PROVE. and point taken photoshop is amazing. but to answer the question did i take pictures to show that my leg was healed, no. i went to church that night to hear a sermon from a visiting minister that had come out of a different religion, it was not supposed to be a healing service nor did the woman profess to a healing ministry. i've read the various post and seen the phrase "faith healer," this saddens me that the term is thrown around willy nilly when it's such an inacurate description of the "gift of healing" but i suppose that could be a debate in and of itself so i'll just go on. i can not PROVE to anyone that God did this miracle for me nor can i prove a Christian God exist. if i were able to do this,that in and of itself would be a miracle and one i would be very leary about,seeing that it's not in God's character to do so. God didn't heap such a responsibily on one moral man. i just like other Christians can only say what God through Jesus His Son has done for them and allow others to decide for themselves. God created man with free will. who am to judge the God that provided that free will or mans decision to excerise free will.
i will answer all serious questions. i will answer to the best of my ability and with all truth.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:48:10 AM
At 9/14/2011 11:39:55 AM, i_am_that_woman wrote:
i have no pictures that show the before and after effects persay. as is the case with most people i have pictures that do show my legs both before and after that night. many bald people have pictures back when they had hair, many old people have pictures back when they were young but really what DOES THAT PROVE. and point taken photoshop is amazing. but to answer the question did i take pictures to show that my leg was healed, no. i went to church that night to hear a sermon from a visiting minister that had come out of a different religion, it was not supposed to be a healing service nor did the woman profess to a healing ministry. i've read the various post and seen the phrase "faith healer," this saddens me that the term is thrown around willy nilly when it's such an inacurate description of the "gift of healing" but i suppose that could be a debate in and of itself so i'll just go on. i can not PROVE to anyone that God did this miracle for me nor can i prove a Christian God exist. if i were able to do this,that in and of itself would be a miracle and one i would be very leary about,seeing that it's not in God's character to do so. God didn't heap such a responsibily on one moral man. i just like other Christians can only say what God through Jesus His Son has done for them and allow others to decide for themselves. God created man with free will. who am to judge the God that provided that free will or mans decision to excerise free will.
i will answer all serious questions. i will answer to the best of my ability and with all truth.

"of this lady's legs was six inches shorter than the other due to polio " so let me get this straight, there are no pictures that could verify this. 6 inches on a leg is a good part of your leg. A picture demonstrating this big of a percentage difference should not be hard to provide.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.