Arguments specifically for Christianity

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:21:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
J'attend Izbo de repondre d'abord.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:28:18 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:21:00 PM, 000ike wrote:

My french grandmother died in 2006 and I speak Latin.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:32:31 PM
Non parli nella lingua francese, per favore.

Inoltre, rispondero alla posta: penso che, una altra argomenta per il cristanesimo e sulla presenza di una vita nell' aldila (la esperanza vicina il tempo del morte) o la argomenta ontologica.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:37:23 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:32:31 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Inoltre, rispondero alla posta: penso che, una altra argomenta per il cristanesimo e sulla presenza di una vita nell' aldila (la esperanza vicina il tempo del morte) o la argomenta ontologica.

Ne parlent pas en italien. Le français est le meilleur.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:41:50 PM
I don't get why this thread is being derailed?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:43:34 PM

La abbreviata argomenta ontologica di Kalam e:
1. Qualunqe che incomincia per esistere ha una causa.
2. L'universa ha un inizio della sua esistenza.

Dunque,
3. L' universa ha una causa della sua esistenza, E
4. Se l' universa h una causa della sua esistenza, dunque il Dio esiste.
Dunque,
5. Il Dio esiste.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:45:48 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:41:50 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't get why this thread is being derailed?

parce que ses sujets amusants et religieuses sont ennuyeuses
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:47:26 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:43:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Dunque,
Dunque,
5. Il Dio esiste.

Translation:
In addition, I will respond to the [opening] post...: I think that, another argument for Christianity is that of the presence of an afterlife [as inferred from the near death experience] or the ontological argument...

(Note: This argument is very popular in proving God's existence)

The abbreivated Kalam Ontological Argument:
1. Whatever which begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe has a beginning of its existence.

Therefore,
3. The universe has a cause of its existence. (As inferred from premise 2)
4. If the universe has a cause of its existence (3), then God is the [or that] cause.
[Finally],
God exists.

This basically proves the existence of God, and can be used for support of the argument of Christianity.

Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:47:39 PM

Dunque,
Dunque,
5. Il Dio esiste.

That's an argument for a God, not for the Christian God.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:47:52 PM
000ike, are you competing with Izbo to see who can troll and derail threads better?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:48:49 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:47:39 PM, Jon1 wrote:

Dunque,
Dunque,
5. Il Dio esiste.

That's an argument for a God, not for the Christian God.
I've seen it been used by Christians, so technically it can apply to the Christian god...

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:49:15 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:16:19 PM, Jon1 wrote:
Besides the argument from resurrection, do Christians have anything else?

There are usually arguments from prophecy which are usually based on either poor understanding of the actual old testament prophecy or the new testament author writing the prophecy to be fulfilled. Such instances are clearly shown in Matthew and Luke when they take a passage from Isiah and claim it was about Jesus. Two problems here, one the old testament said young woman, not virgin. Second problem the verse referred to Isiahs second son, not someone to be born 2000 years later, who was named Jesus not Immanuel. Or where Jesus rides into Jerusalem on a Colt or a donkey, which is based off of 2 different understandings of the same old testament passage.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:52:50 PM
More relevant to this could be the argument of intelligent design used to support the act of creation...Other teological arguments include: Aquina's five logical arguments for the existence of God in the Summa Theologica, the watchmaker analogy, and so on...

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:54:10 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:52:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
More relevant to this could be the argument of intelligent design used to support the act of creation...Other teological arguments include: Aquina's five logical arguments for the existence of God in the Summa Theologica, the watchmaker analogy, and so on...

Those don't prove a christian god, but merely attempt to prove a creator god.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:55:49 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:54:10 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Those are teological arguments that help prove the existence of god (possibly a creator god, as seen in the watchmaker analogy), but I am not sure if that extends to the Christian god himself...

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 8:58:12 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:55:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Those are teological arguments that help prove the existence of god (possibly a creator god, as seen in the watchmaker analogy), but I am not sure if that extends to the Christian god himself...

Well I think the point the original poster was making is what arguments do christians have for their god, not just a generic creator god. The original poster could correct me if I am misinterpreting his question.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 9:01:27 PM
At 9/13/2011 8:58:12 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/13/2011 8:55:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Well I think the point the original poster was making is what arguments do christians have for their god, not just a generic creator god. The original poster could correct me if I am misinterpreting his question.

He was, but many arguments used by Christians can apply to other creator/personal gods...and to other purposes...General arguments can include: showing Jesus as the Messiah (as the second post stated), showing specific incidents in the Bible (the flood, creation, and so on) happened, affirming their God's existence through teological arguments, and so on.

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:02:39 PM
I refer everybody on this thread to "The Case for Christ". It's even been made into a movie now and is on netflix. All the evidence you would need right there.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:30:58 PM
At 9/13/2011 10:02:39 PM, Crede wrote:
I refer everybody on this thread to "The Case for Christ". It's even been made into a movie now and is on netflix. All the evidence you would need right there.

strobel lol, he lobs softball questions then accepts the first answer. The questions he asks are the clarification questions atheists ask to attack the actual position, then he accepts the actual position. His books only look good to those who believe.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:08:34 PM

To be blunt, even that is a very bad argument.

I've never seen an argument that makes it even remotely reasonable to accept orthodox Christianity as being accurate or even plausible.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:10:26 PM
At 9/13/2011 11:08:34 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I've never seen an argument that makes it even remotely reasonable to accept orthodox Christianity as being accurate or even plausible.

Hey to give them credit its one of the few times that they actually understand that their argument must end in the existence of their god, not some arbitrary creator god.

Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 1:11:53 AM
At 9/13/2011 11:08:34 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

The problem here is not the quality (which we can argue about forever, no exaggeration) but the quantity. Quality and Quantity is necessary for a justified belief of this magnitude.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 5:40:47 AM

Relationship by revelation; I believe in Jesus because He has spoken to me.
The Cross.. the Cross.