Jump to topic:

The Ten Commandments.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:49:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I interpret the Ten Commandments as a list of specific human behaviors that everyone should live by to maintain a reasonably orderly cohesive society.

Of these ten, which if any of them would you get rid of because you think it irrelevant in maintaining a reasonably orderly cohesive society.

Here's the hard part. Just say which one(s), Don't explain why.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:52:02 PM
At 9/14/2011 8:49:13 PM, sadolite wrote:
I interpret the Ten Commandments as a list of specific human behaviors that everyone should live by to maintain a reasonably orderly cohesive society.

Of these ten, which if any of them would you get rid of because you think it irrelevant in maintaining a reasonably orderly cohesive society.

1-4 and 10 are ridiculous. The others are pretty elementary school basic morality(above cerebral's head)
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:01:01 PM
At 9/14/2011 8:52:02 PM, izbo10 wrote:

1-4 and 10 are ridiculous. The others are pretty elementary school basic morality(above cerebral's head)

We have a winner, He said why "They are ridiculous"

I knew it was to hard to resit I figured the third guy not the first>

Follow directions next time 1 demarit for you
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:31:44 PM
At 9/14/2011 9:01:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

We have a winner, i never gave a reason why, just that they are ridiculous. Your judging me, and you think bronze age mythology has brought us the best source of morality, a monkey could figure out not to steal or murder.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 10:07:08 PM
The first commandment is the one that I have trouble with mostly. I also see a contradiction with the first commandment.

The first commandment is as follows: You shall have no other gods before me.

There is a clear contradiction here, because the Bible specifies that there is only 1 God. But here in this so called "commandment", God is implying that there are other Gods instead of him since he said that you shall not have any other gods before him.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 10:10:25 PM
Definitely the first four.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:08:26 PM
At 9/14/2011 9:31:44 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/14/2011 9:01:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

We have a winner, i never gave a reason why, just that they are ridiculous. Your judging me, and you think bronze age mythology has brought us the best source of morality, a monkey could figure out not to steal or murder.

The OP just got owned. That's what he gets for being a close minded d*ck.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:18:39 PM
At 9/14/2011 10:07:08 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
The first commandment is the one that I have trouble with mostly. I also see a contradiction with the first commandment.

The first commandment is as follows: You shall have no other gods before me.

There is a clear contradiction here, because the Bible specifies that there is only 1 God. But here in this so called "commandment", God is implying that there are other Gods instead of him since he said that you shall not have any other gods before him.

Actually thats the irony, most of the old testament was written under a worldview of polytheism that developed to monothiesm towards the later books. It went through stages where it was ok to worship other gods to other gods existed but Yahweh/Elohim was the only one worthy of worship to Yahweh/Elohim was the only god. This did not come easy and it explains why the 1st commandment is written that way. If you really want to get more info on this I suggest reading The Evolution of God by Robert Wright or A History of God by Karen Armstrong.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:35:45 PM
"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

Egypt? Where did that come from. Besides, it is pretty selfish of the writer to claim that he is "lord the god." Who wrote the ten commandments anyway?

2 Too ridiculous to write here.

3"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

Hardly makes any sense.

4"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Six days of labor. Yeah, right.

5"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

Oh really? When "god" gives us free land that doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, I am consider looking at the 10 C's.

6"You shall not murder.
wow! really? I didn't know that?

7"You shall not commit adultery.
same as above

8"You shall not steal.
same as above

9"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
obvious

10"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

What on earth do I need donkeys and oxen for? In a modern situation, it might say that you must not covet your neighbor's car, which isn't really a bad thing at all. If you want a car like your neighbor's, you would work hard for it, and this will give you the motivation.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:49:29 AM

That's curious... I interpret the Ten Commandments as four ways to remain subjugated by religious asceticism coupled with the co-option of already established moral principles.

May as well toss them all... they don't actually do anything useful.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:13:50 AM
One to four should go.

Adultery should be redefined, to just dishonesty in sexual/romantic relationships.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:14:45 AM

How does that make any sense whatsoever?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SPACKlick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:30:12 AM
1) I am the lord your god - Get Rid
1a) Do not have other gods before me - Get Rid
2) Do not make idols - Get Rid
2a) Do not bow down or worship idols - keep
2a.1) Reason not to worship is that god will punish you - Get rid
3) Do not use the name god in vain - Get rid
4) Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy - Get rid
4a) Labour for 6 days and do all your work - Get rid
4b) The seventh day is holy to God - Get rid
4bi) Do no work on the seventh day - Get rid
4bii)God made the world in six days and rested on the seventh - Get rid
5) Honour your father and your mother - Keep(with caveat)
5a) Honouring your father and mother will give you long life - Get rid
6) Do not murder - Keep
7) Do not commit adultery - Keep (with redefinition of adultery)
8) Do not steal - Keep
9i) Do not lie in evidence against others - Keep
9ii) Do not lie - Keep(with caveat) [I put both interpretations of that one in]
10a) Do not covet property - Get rid
10b) Do not covet relationships /people - Get rid

so my trimming of the 10 commandments gets down to

1) Do not bow down or worship idols
2) Do not murder
3) Do not commit adultery - (with redefinition of adultery)
4) Do not steal
5) Do not lie in evidence against others
6) Do not lie - (with caveat)

this discussion would be more interesting if we all broke the prohibition against discussing why we would keep or get rid of...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 4:32:22 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:30:12 AM, SPACKlick wrote:
6) Do not murder - Keep
8) Do not steal - Keep

2) Do not murder
4) Do not steal

this discussion would be more interesting if we all broke the prohibition against discussing why we would keep or get rid of...

The reason I said not to say why is because I pretty much new which ones and why. I do find it predictable though that all the ones pertaining to God would be at the top of the list. I liken it to children telling their parents, "You just don't understand". When the parent is the one who gave them 99% of the knowledge they have in the first place. I know of course this will be taken the wrong way. Man would have eventually figured out all the things about murdering and stealing and adultery without religion. Why is it that people who don't believe in god, which by the way are the smartest people to ever walk the earth didn't bother to write down the stuff about murdering and adultery and stealing and have a book more famous than the bible when it comes to human behavior and it's consequences.

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 4:47:28 PM
At 9/14/2011 11:35:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
10"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

What on earth do I need donkeys and oxen for? In a modern situation, it might say that you must not covet your neighbor's car, which isn't really a bad thing at all. If you want a car like your neighbor's, you would work hard for it, and this will give you the motivation.

Capitalism owns again.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 5:34:47 AM

The Law cannot heal unspiritual men, only reveal their sin to them.

By their traditions the Jews bypassed the Law because they could not enter into the SPIRIT of it.
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 5:36:58 AM
At 9/15/2011 6:30:12 AM, SPACKlick wrote:
6) Do not murder - Keep
8) Do not steal - Keep

2) Do not murder
4) Do not steal

The fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil: you believe you know better than God!
The Cross.. the Cross.