Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

God as all powerful

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:23:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The common conception that God is all powerful is a hindrance to Christianity. I'm undecided on the issue but the point of this topic is that non Christians find it very hard to believe in something that is all powerful. Even Christians who do believe it have a hard time understanding it.

But the big problem is that non Christians think that they have to believe in an all powerful God first in order to be able to believe in Christianity. It's much easier to grasp the existence of a God who has limited powers than to believe in a God who can do anything. Non Christians don't seem to realize that they don't have to believe that God is all powerful in order to believe in Him.

That's the way it seems to me anyways.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:29:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What makes god god?
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:38:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 9:29:25 PM, kohai wrote:
What makes god god?

What makes God God can be entirely different to different people. The common attribute of God in different beliefs is that He is our creator.

He is powerful but I don't know if He's all powerful.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:40:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 9:38:30 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/20/2011 9:29:25 PM, kohai wrote:
What makes god god?

What makes God God can be entirely different to different people. The common attribute of God in different beliefs is that He is our creator.

He is powerful but I don't know if He's all powerful.

gumby god, you can bend him squash him roll him up in a ball and he always bounces back to the same ugly shape.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 3:28:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know I certainly don't believe God is all-powerful otherwise he could fix the world's many problems. Either that or he's a sadist.
hotdog
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 4:05:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 9:23:07 PM, phantom wrote:
The common conception that God is all powerful is a hindrance to Christianity. I'm undecided on the issue but the point of this topic is that non Christians find it very hard to believe in something that is all powerful. Even Christians who do believe it have a hard time understanding it.

But the big problem is that non Christians think that they have to believe in an all powerful God first in order to be able to believe in Christianity. It's much easier to grasp the existence of a God who has limited powers than to believe in a God who can do anything. Non Christians don't seem to realize that they don't have to believe that God is all powerful in order to believe in Him.

That's the way it seems to me anyways.

So are you suggesting we just make up beliefs we are comfortable with about what god is like rather that try and find out the actual truth?

You say all powerful god is a hindrance to christianity - so i assume you think the goal of christianity is to increase the quantity of the congregation? Are you sure it's not enlightnement?

If god isn't all powerful what makes him god?
hotdog
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 4:08:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 3:28:22 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I know I certainly don't believe God is all-powerful otherwise he could fix the world's many problems. Either that or he's a sadist.

Actually they are not the only two possible explanations. Your logic is flawed and thus so is your conclusion.

Which particular problems would you like him to fix? The ones humans have created? Why should god clean up the mess humans have created. Why don't 'we' fix it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 6:13:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 4:08:50 AM, hotdog wrote:
At 9/21/2011 3:28:22 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I know I certainly don't believe God is all-powerful otherwise he could fix the world's many problems. Either that or he's a sadist.

Actually they are not the only two possible explanations. Your logic is flawed and thus so is your conclusion.

Which particular problems would you like him to fix? The ones humans have created? Why should god clean up the mess humans have created. Why don't 'we' fix it?

By the same rationale why should a parent change their babies nappies? The baby made the mess after all.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 7:15:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 4:05:57 AM, hotdog wrote:
At 9/20/2011 9:23:07 PM, phantom wrote:
The common conception that God is all powerful is a hindrance to Christianity. I'm undecided on the issue but the point of this topic is that non Christians find it very hard to believe in something that is all powerful. Even Christians who do believe it have a hard time understanding it.

But the big problem is that non Christians think that they have to believe in an all powerful God first in order to be able to believe in Christianity. It's much easier to grasp the existence of a God who has limited powers than to believe in a God who can do anything. Non Christians don't seem to realize that they don't have to believe that God is all powerful in order to believe in Him.

That's the way it seems to me anyways.

So are you suggesting we just make up beliefs we are comfortable with about what god is like rather that try and find out the actual truth?


You say all powerful god is a hindrance to christianity - so i assume you think the goal of christianity is to increase the quantity of the congregation? Are you sure it's not enlightnement?

You seem to miss the point. The point is that it is such a common conception non Christians often think they have to believe in an all powerful God to be a Christian. The problem is not God being all powerful but that people assume He is and that that's what you have to believe in if you believe in Him.


If god isn't all powerful what makes him god?

God's powerful, why the heck does He have to be all powerful?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 2:29:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 4:08:50 AM, hotdog wrote:
At 9/21/2011 3:28:22 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I know I certainly don't believe God is all-powerful otherwise he could fix the world's many problems. Either that or he's a sadist.

Actually they are not the only two possible explanations. Your logic is flawed and thus so is your conclusion.

Which particular problems would you like him to fix? The ones humans have created? Why should god clean up the mess humans have created. Why don't 'we' fix it?

My problem mainly lies in the fact that various religions teach how kind and merciful God is. If that was the case then why isn't he being kind and merciful and giving starving African children a chance at life? Why isn't he giving people proper shelter and food? Where is God in Somalia, India, Iraq, Palestine, and everywhere else where there's suffering people?