Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Religious People Are Nerds

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 8:30:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Religious people use religion as a method of giving meaning to life. The majority of man cannot go on living without an firm basis upon which to live. It is this vice and necessity that compels many of sound and reasonable mind to suppress their logical capacity and reasoning to make room for religion such that they may be at peace and balance with themselves and with life.

Even the most eloquent and out-spoken religious intellectuals on this website simply have stumbling and weak logic to justify their beliefs. Religious people are like everyone else, just that they were unable to ignore or find an alternate route to give life substance.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 8:51:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would point out that religions have claims that supercede enjoyment. Their claims are clearly eternal and with moral weight.

I can equate our judicial process and the manufacturing of ice cream in quite a few ways. I could even specifically show what end a lawyer is in the process of making milk but that is merely ignoring the auxiliary information.

As long as God exists it isn't about preferential focus but it will be about justified focus.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:04:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/25/2011 8:30:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
Religious people use religion as a method of giving meaning to life. The majority of man cannot go on living without an firm basis upon which to live. It is this vice and necessity that compels many of sound and reasonable mind to suppress their logical capacity and reasoning to make room for religion such that they may be at peace and balance with themselves and with life.

Even the most eloquent and out-spoken religious intellectuals on this website simply have stumbling and weak logic to justify their beliefs. Religious people are like everyone else, just that they were unable to ignore or find an alternate route to give life substance.

Roflcopter.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:07:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/25/2011 9:04:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/25/2011 8:30:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
Religious people use religion as a method of giving meaning to life. The majority of man cannot go on living without an firm basis upon which to live. It is this vice and necessity that compels many of sound and reasonable mind to suppress their logical capacity and reasoning to make room for religion such that they may be at peace and balance with themselves and with life.

Even the most eloquent and out-spoken religious intellectuals on this website simply have stumbling and weak logic to justify their beliefs. Religious people are like everyone else, just that they were unable to ignore or find an alternate route to give life substance.

Roflcopter.

Bold claim there, ike.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 3:43:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 1:00:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Hey, don't bring Game of Thrones fanatics down to the level of the religious. :P

I read the books when they first came out. It was an incredible dissapointment (before I was a Christian).

Not just the icky sexual relationships but the destruction of the moral characters and the raising of the immoral ones.

I do not know the end of the series but what a disappointment.
reddj2
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 2:04:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 3:43:19 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 9/26/2011 1:00:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Hey, don't bring Game of Thrones fanatics down to the level of the religious. :P

I read the books when they first came out. It was an incredible dissapointment (before I was a Christian).

Not just the icky sexual relationships but the destruction of the moral characters and the raising of the immoral ones.

I do not know the end of the series but what a disappointment.

D
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:27:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I posted this a while ago. Very funny.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:33:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Judging someone as a nerd is relative. I look at metrosexuals as nerds, while I find people who are obsessed with technology and nature to be more likable and interesting. A nerd is just someone who is obsessed with a specific subject. If someone does not like that subject, that person will call the obsessed or passionate person a nerd. I call people who follow celebrity media nerds, while I think people who read all day and go out at night are cool.

It's all relative.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 3:39:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm totally a religious nerd. Had a lot to do with my upbringing though. I come from a very long line of preachers. One side of my family can be traced back to the Church of Ephesus.

Very religious family.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
TheLaw
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 7:33:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's funny because the guy talking in the video is also technically a nerd, he's one of those nerds that are "passitionately obsessed about saying stuff about religion". So yea, you could call him the anti-religious nerd. Quite ironic if you ask me.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 10:20:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/28/2011 7:33:06 PM, TheLaw wrote:
It's funny because the guy talking in the video is also technically a nerd, he's one of those nerds that are "passitionately obsessed about saying stuff about religion". So yea, you could call him the anti-religious nerd. Quite ironic if you ask me.

ROFL, nice
Chilopodophobia
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:23:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/25/2011 8:30:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
Religious people use religion as a method of giving meaning to life. The majority of man cannot go on living without an firm basis upon which to live. It is this vice and necessity that compels many of sound and reasonable mind to suppress their logical capacity and reasoning to make room for religion such that they may be at peace and balance with themselves and with life.

Even the most eloquent and out-spoken religious intellectuals on this website simply have stumbling and weak logic to justify their beliefs. Religious people are like everyone else, just that they were unable to ignore or find an alternate route to give life substance.

Hmmmm Il assume you're an atheist, I'd expect that when you finalized your
decision that "God does not exist" you experienced a kind of freedom. A
weight was lifted off your shoulders of a sort. This life is easier if this
life is for nothing. Like a test without a grade, who cares if you pass? and
from your earlier statement "The majority of man cannot go on living without
an firm basis upon which to live." I would assume that you think that you
have found away to live without a basis.
I disagree with the statement "The majority of people-". All people cannot
live there life without a basis to believe in. Take you for example you.
Your basis by which you live by is freedom from eternity E.g. Atheism.
Believing that after this life nothing matters is probably just as
comforting to you as a person who believes that this life doesn't end with
death. I also believe in order to hold on to this comfort of freedom you
choose to utilize just as much faith as a religious person. Faith in your
science. That's why atheist are always trying to acquire as much information
about science as they can. With every drop of evidence they find that to
them points toward the non-existence of God, helps to solidify their faith
and comfort in moral freedoms.
Chilopodohobia
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:29:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Moses; killed a man with his bare hands..

David; lots of war, wives, adultery..

Peter; chopped someones ear off with a sword..

Hardly nerds..
The Cross.. the Cross.