Jump to topic:

Dante's Hell versus Christian Hell

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:33:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm curious what people think about what may be a rather interesting inconsistency between Dantes hell and most definitions I've heard of Christian hell.

From what most people tell me, Christian hell is where you go if you aren't christian (excluding Limbo). Yet many of those christians espouse Dante's idea of multiple rings of hell.

The thing is, lots of people in Dante's hell believe in Christianity. Heresy/blasphemer was a more seriously crime than lust, gluttony, greed, and anger. That means any heretics who are lustful end up in the heretics circle, not the lust circle. Heretic murderers would end up in the murder circle, not the heretic's one.

That means that, at minimum, everyone in Dante's hell who is within the first five circles (excluding limbo) are not heretics are blasphemers. It also means that some portion of those in circle six are not necessarily heretics.

Can you go to hell if you are a non-heretical non-blaspheming christian?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:40:25 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:33:02 PM, Wnope wrote:
I'm curious what people think about what may be a rather interesting inconsistency between Dantes hell and most definitions I've heard of Christian hell.

From what most people tell me, Christian hell is where you go if you aren't christian (excluding Limbo). Yet many of those christians espouse Dante's idea of multiple rings of hell.

The thing is, lots of people in Dante's hell believe in Christianity. Heresy/blasphemer was a more seriously crime than lust, gluttony, greed, and anger. That means any heretics who are lustful end up in the heretics circle, not the lust circle. Heretic murderers would end up in the murder circle, not the heretic's one.

That means that, at minimum, everyone in Dante's hell who is within the first five circles (excluding limbo) are not heretics are blasphemers. It also means that some portion of those in circle six are not necessarily heretics.

If you want to know about Hell, just read the Bible you moron.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:40:27 PM

Interesting can I ask some questions:
- Do you realize that Dante's work is a literary work and not a commentary or anything factual to the Christian religion?

- If yes are you comparing Christian orthodoxy or heaven/hell only protestantism to it?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:42:39 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:40:27 PM, Gileandos wrote:

- Do you realize that Dante's work is a literary work and not a commentary or anything factual to the Christian religion?

- If yes are you comparing Christian orthodoxy or heaven/hell only protestantism to it?

Dante's work was a satire of the catholic community that exiled him.

However, that has not stopped our society from implanting Dante's concepts into their ideas about hell. I have met quite a few christians who are sympathetic to the concept of "circles" and "sets" of hells with differing levels of punishment.

They are the ones this is more geared towards.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:46:04 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:42:39 PM, Wnope wrote:

However, that has not stopped our society from implanting Dante's concepts into their ideas about hell. I have met quite a few christians who are sympathetic to the concept of "circles" and "sets" of hells with differing levels of punishment.

It will be interesting to see if any Christians join in on the speculation of different levels of hell. The only levels discussed in the bible are the deepest darkness for the fallen angels that broke the rules.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:51:45 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:46:04 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It will be interesting to see if any Christians join in on the speculation of different levels of hell. The only levels discussed in the bible are the deepest darkness for the fallen angels that broke the rules.

The levels are irrelent. Once again you Atheists are being overindulgent in your
quest for the truth. These petty matters do not matter.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 6:02:20 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:51:45 PM, inferno wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:46:04 PM, Gileandos wrote:

The levels are irrelent. Once again you Atheists are being overindulgent in your
quest for the truth. These petty matters do not matter.

Well, it's quite relevant for atheists especially, wouldn't you think?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 8:23:42 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:40:25 PM, inferno wrote:

If you want to know about Hell, just read the Bible you moron.

Ahem. The Bible never actually describes Hell, except for the obvious "it's a horrid place."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 10:14:44 PM
At 9/26/2011 6:02:20 PM, Wnope wrote:
Well, it's quite relevant for atheists especially, wouldn't you think?

I could not stop laughing. A pointed statement. I can barely contain myself.