Jump to topic:

Tsunami Survivors

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:16:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just finished the Nova special "surviving the Tsunami" in Japan.

I noticed everyone chalked their survival up to chance.

(There was no discussion on PBS of third man rescue's btw)

I was wondering on an athiestic worldview in such a condition would you pray by chancing that there might be a God? (let me know if you are strong or weak athiest)
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:30:48 PM
At 10/2/2011 6:16:26 PM, Gileandos wrote:

I was wondering on an athiestic worldview in such a condition would you pray by chancing that there might be a God? (let me know if you are strong or weak athiest)

No. Weak Atheist.

I can't prove that there isn't a god, but it makes no sense whatsoever. It's like praying to Zeus. Also, praying to God probably wouldn't do anything, even if it was real.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:33:55 PM
At 10/2/2011 6:30:48 PM, seraine wrote:

No. Weak Atheist.

I can't prove that there isn't a god, but it makes no sense whatsoever. It's like praying to Zeus. Also, praying to God probably wouldn't do anything, even if it was real.

Interesting. So you are sitting on a rooftop on a house that is being drug out to sea and despite the very small odds of there being a God (In Your Opinion) and the even slimer odds he would anwer (IYO) you would not toss one out?
Even with nothing else productive to do but ride to your demise?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:34:14 PM

Yes in such a situation I would pray even though I am fairly confident that no such entity will hear my prayers nor act on them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:22:51 PM
At 10/2/2011 6:33:55 PM, Gileandos wrote:

No. Weak Atheist.

Interesting. So you are sitting on a rooftop on a house that is being drug out to sea and despite the very small odds of there being a God (In Your Opinion) and the even slimer odds he would anwer (IYO) you would not toss one out?

Yes. The odds of a god listening is 0. As I said, I would think of it like a prayer to Zeus.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:34:18 PM
At 10/2/2011 7:22:51 PM, seraine wrote:

No. Weak Atheist.

Yes. The odds of a god listening is 0. As I said, I would think of it like a prayer to Zeus.

I meant to the maximally supreme being.

Thank you for the response.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 1:59:49 PM

No. Weak Atheist.

You conveniently rule out the possibility of a god who would have saved you if you didn't pray. Prayer statistically has very little effect beyond the effect of positive thinking.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 2:40:50 PM
At 10/3/2011 1:59:49 PM, izbo10 wrote:

You conveniently rule out the possibility of a god who would have saved you if you didn't pray. Prayer statistically has very little effect beyond the effect of positive thinking.

This is actually a pretty good point - I would much rather believe in a god that didn't require me to ask him to save me before he took action.

And in the situation described, I might even wish there was a god, but would I pray.... no - complete waste of time.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:01:53 PM

If there is a god, I figure he wouldn't be too pleased that I suddenly decided to switch sides only when faced with extreme odds of death.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:14:19 PM

No. Weak Atheist.

Considering that many people are not saved and they do not pray... doesn't that factually show that such a God does not exist?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:20:09 PM
At 10/3/2011 2:40:50 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

This is actually a pretty good point - I would much rather believe in a god that didn't require me to ask him to save me before he took action.

And in the situation described, I might even wish there was a god, but would I pray.... no - complete waste of time.

Thank you for the response.
I bet God would much rather believe in people that would take action ( by praying) before they were in such a circumstance too.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:20:12 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:14:19 PM, Gileandos wrote:

No. Weak Atheist.

Considering that many people are not saved and they do not pray... doesn't that factually show that such a God does not exist?

And quite a few people who prayed also drowned.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:22:41 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:01:53 PM, Wnope wrote:

If there is a god, I figure he wouldn't be too pleased that I suddenly decided to switch sides only when faced with extreme odds of death.

Thank you for sharing.
It is a curiosity that Christian theology suggests that such events continue to exist so that people would seek for God by calling out His name to save them.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:24:42 PM

'waste of time', what else you got going on? You're sitting on a roof.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:26:40 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:22:41 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Thank you for sharing.
It is a curiosity that Christian theology suggests that such events continue to exist so that people would seek for God by calling out His name to save them.

Yeah. Personally, my feeling has always been that if there is a personal, omniscient god he'll understand my thought processes and experiences to the point where he knows why I believe what I believe. If he knows that and still wants me to pray in order to save me, he's just being a...well...I hesitate to use the word considering the subject matter, but you get the picture.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:31:06 PM

First, it should be noted that freaking out and saying "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!!" does not qualify as praying. I think that most Atheists would not even have praying cross their minds. They would likely only be thinking about what they can do to stay alive (should I stay on this house, or try and jump onto that other house). I know the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes," but I don't think that would apply to a sudden disaster. Maybe something more like a city being bombed, hiding in the basement, hoping your house isn't hit. The time spent just waiting and hoping my drive some to take the gamble.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 4:01:41 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:26:40 PM, Wnope wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Yeah. Personally, my feeling has always been that if there is a personal, omniscient god he'll understand my thought processes and experiences to the point where he knows why I believe what I believe. If he knows that and still wants me to pray in order to save me, he's just being a...well...I hesitate to use the word considering the subject matter, but you get the picture.

Would you be grateful if you were saved?
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 4:17:24 PM
At 10/3/2011 4:01:41 PM, innomen wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Would you be grateful if you were saved?

What type of arrogance does it take to believe that in a disaster where thousands died, that a all loving all powerful being was watching over you? Really I want to know.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 4:53:13 PM

Since God has granted us free will, we do need to ask in order to receive some things. "Ask and ye shall receive..."

"The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."
http://lds.org...

...whether in that situation or for example in this: If you prayed and asked God if He is real --->then at judgment you would be justified...because you could cite God's own scripture promise and have solid ground to stand on...but if a person doesn't pray or ask, then they may not have a legitimate claim to that knowledge.

So indeed our free agency of choosing what to do and what we desire is very important....especially in Prayer!...because sometimes that is all that is in our power.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 5:06:11 PM
I pray for everything out of habit, not that I believe someone is actually going to answer them. Sometimes prayers get "answered", sometimes they don't. One of the most fascinating things about religion is the persistence of prayer. Because if your prayers don't get answered, it wasn't in "God's plan" or it wasn't "God's time". LOL
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 6:48:04 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:20:12 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 10/3/2011 3:14:19 PM, Gileandos wrote:

No. Weak Atheist.

And quite a few people who prayed also drowned.

Really? Do you have any numbers on that?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 6:58:33 PM
At 10/3/2011 5:06:11 PM, nonentity wrote:
I pray for everything out of habit, not that I believe someone is actually going to answer them. Sometimes prayers get "answered", sometimes they don't. One of the most fascinating things about religion is the persistence of prayer. Because if your prayers don't get answered, it wasn't in "God's plan" or it wasn't "God's time". LOL

I believe it goes like this:
"The prayer of a righteous man availeth much".

In other words you can get some really extreme things the more righteous you are. However, prayers of salvation and extreme duress do not require righteousness.

If you are asking God for a High definition TV so you can spend more time ignoring him... why do you think He might say no?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 10:11:00 AM

Thank you for sharing.

I can understand this feeling. I at one point would have echo'ed your sentiments.

Then I had children. God began to teach me... how I am taught.

You cannot approach a 5 year old on the 5 year old's terms. You have to create a learning process before him to teach him. Only when the child becomes belligerent, feckless and/or "evil" do you whip out the "big teach".

We see the same process before us in Religion. We see God placing religious family members, churches on every street corner, powerful teachers, prophets and when we get out of line, God must bring out the big guns.

In my teenage years I would have treated God as I treated my father. Now in my "not so limited" experience I agree and concur with the punishments my biological father gave me and now much more so the punishments from my Father in Heaven.

What seems harsh to us as children proves a necessary tool to our learning and growth.
Remember Death is not the end when it comes to God.
We are reminded how powerless we are when a 7 Meter Tsunami comes 5 kilometers inland to our home.