Murder

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:30:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have another curiosity fo Athiests.
It is spawned from several of the other people posting here.

Who should define what murder is in your athiestic viewpoint.
For example:
I believe the Christian Church should define murder. I hold that the theologians have a stronger moral standard that we should bring to bear in such decisions.

Who do you view to hold the ability to make the distinction of what is murder and why?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:32:09 PM
At 10/2/2011 7:30:07 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I have another curiosity for Athiests.

For example:
I believe the Christian Church should define murder. I hold that the theologians have a stronger moral standard that we should bring to bear in such decisions.

Who do you view to hold the ability to make the distinction of what is murder and why?

fixed
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:34:38 PM
Who should define it?
No opinion.

Who does?
The law.

Should any religious group be controlling the law?
God no. Pun intended.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:41:55 PM
At 10/2/2011 7:34:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Who should define it?
No opinion.

Who does?
The law.

Should any religious group be controlling the law?
God no. Pun intended.

Lol you forgot the why.
But if I read into what you are stating you are saying you do not care who defines murder as long as it is not a religious group?

Also, Once murder is defined by a group of people it becomes law. Law does not itself make the definition. People makes laws. The question is who do you believe should make the laws concerning what is or is not murder?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:42:27 PM
I think Jesus said it best when he said, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Most atheists are judging theists by their own measure.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 7:44:39 PM
There is killing, which is the taking of another's life. Then there is murder. Murder only exists within a legal context.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 8:19:01 PM
I think Wikipedia should define Murder:

"Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with "malice aforethought", and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter)."
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 8:26:29 PM
At 10/2/2011 7:30:07 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I have another curiosity fo Athiests.

For example:

Considering that the Bible does not provide any moral guidance I would be terrified by such a thought. In any case our prohibition against murder rarely derives from organised religion but from our normal attributes of empathy and self-interest.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 8:36:37 PM
OP seems to hold little trust in the human capacity for rational thinking. "Murder" is a legal term, so the government defines it. Hopefully that government is forming its legal concepts off of solid moral ones.