Jump to topic:

Who lived before adam and eve?

YE-ARE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:55:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who did Cain think would harm him if only him, his mother, and father were the only living people on the planet.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 7:22:08 PM
At 10/3/2011 3:55:50 PM, YE-ARE wrote:
Who did Cain think would harm him if only him, his mother, and father were the only living people on the planet.

Well I can see two obvious explanations here.
1. The creation account is actually the "old Earth" creation view and there were actually man other humans around, but Adam marked the beginning of God's direct intervention with man.

2. In the case of young Earth creation it is apparent that Cain had many other brothers and sisters. Cain and Abel were the only ones talked about at first. This is apparent in Genesis 3:17 where Cain has a wife. She was either his sister, or a sister/brothers daughter/grandaughter. Also the bible described humans living several centuries, and from one man who could still be alive, nations of men could stem. No time frame is given about when Adam was created to when Cain sinned. We don't know how many brothers and sisters there were, and how many extended generations were around.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 8:49:56 PM
yeah there are 2 basic schools of thought and depending on which on you role with changes how you would answer this question.

1)Metephor.....
these early chapters of Genesis are metaphoric. the days were not literally 6 in which the earth was created and Adam and Eve are not a literal first man and woman but rather represent first generation of humans
That might sound like just trying to explain away for evolution, but taking these scriptures metaphorically continues on with the story of Cain and Able with unrelated significance to the Old Earth Vs Young Earth controversy.
Cain supposedly represented all of the first of Farmers that learned to harvest crops from the land. Able represented the men that shepherded livestock. Anyway there is already a population of people at the time.

2) Literal....
Even taking it literally there was still a greater population of people than you are thinking. Time is not specified with when the event took place or how many children were already conceived. or for a lot of events in the early chapters of genesis. for all the info the text gave Adam and Eve may have been in the garden for a day or for years before they were kicked out. Time enough had passed for Cain and Able to be at the very least working adults. and considering how long people lived during those days on average the golden years is very long time period of your life compared to how long we live at what is considered a working age. after Adam and Eve figured out how to make Cain and Able, I doubt they hesitated and making more any time fast for a while. the world was there's so no trouble in resources to support children and pain in child birth or no pain that's certainly not going to slow down there....fun together.

By the literal Young earth view, adam and eve where healthy, in there viral prime from probably hundreds of years. the standard of so old you will die was in the 900's. this was because Adam and Eve where the first humans.
To make this simple to understand think of a paper copier. you take and original document and run it through the machine and make a copy. then make a copy of the copy. than make a copy of that copy. and keep doing this.....
the further on down the copy chain you get the more faded and imperfect it is compared to the original.
Early man was also the earliest copies

Also the earth was different by the literal YEC view. there was an ice dome (the firmament of water above) making air pressure higher and purer, and this dome blocked ultraviolet radiation. this would extend life significantly for humans. Interesting to note. right after the flood during Noah's time, the average for how long humans lived dropped to 600 and then got progressively worse so that by Abraham day, 100 years old was considered to old to make kids. The firmament was destroyed during the flood providing much of the water that made up the flood.

anyway this all means Adam and Eve obviously did not just reproduce Cain and Able at the time of Cains act of murder. the only person its implied in the scripture that was born after the event was Seth.

personally I am YEC but both theories are interesting and I can roll with either one.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 6:22:42 PM
Nobody Adam and Eve never existed.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 7:26:24 PM
At 10/4/2011 6:22:42 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Excellent! Finally somebody provides proof for Adam and Eve to have never existed! Good job! I love your logical and constructive comments.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 8:04:59 PM
The Adam and Eve story is a parable. Not only is it a parable, but it is OBVIOUSLY a parable.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 8:11:06 PM
Funny take on the whole story.

The first lie was actually when Eve told God that the snake told her to do it.

God, knowing full well that snakes don't talk, dramatically announces, "For doing this snake, you are cursed to crawl on yo belly!"

The snake slithers past, and just goes, "lulwat?" before slithering back away.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:22:15 PM
God
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:22:39 PM
fallen angels
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 10:59:12 PM
At 10/3/2011 7:22:08 PM, Crede wrote:

1. The creation account is actually the "old Earth" creation view and there were actually man other humans around, but Adam marked the beginning of God's direct intervention with man.

2. In the case of young Earth creation it is apparent that Cain had many other brothers and sisters. Cain and Abel were the only ones talked about at first. This is apparent in Genesis 3:17 where Cain has a wife. She was either his sister, or a sister/brothers daughter/grandaughter. Also the bible described humans living several centuries, and from one man who could still be alive, nations of men could stem. No time frame is given about when Adam was created to when Cain sinned. We don't know how many brothers and sisters there were, and how many extended generations were around.

3. The whole "Adam and Eve" story is symbolic bull$hit, and anyone who actually believes it is an ignorant prick.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 12:40:48 AM
At 10/4/2011 7:26:24 PM, Crede wrote:

Excellent! Finally somebody provides proof for Adam and Eve to have never existed! Good job! I love your logical and constructive comments.

Oh yeah....and you provide such strong evidence for them literally existing! I'm so convinced!

Not. I agree with Izbo. 100%
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
shift4101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:21:03 AM
At 10/4/2011 10:59:12 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 10/3/2011 7:22:08 PM, Crede wrote:

3. The whole "Adam and Eve" story is symbolic bull$hit, and anyone who actually believes it is an ignorant prick.

Huh. So that's what I am. Tell me, with all your wisdom, what should a person like that do with their life?
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:23:07 AM
At 10/5/2011 12:40:48 AM, Tiel wrote:

Oh yeah....and you provide such strong evidence for them literally existing! I'm so convinced!

Never did I say that they existed in this thread. Not sure where your getting that from. If I did I'd give my evidence. All I did is call out the comment that had absolutely no constructive element to it except for religious bashing.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 7:16:29 AM

Although I don't believe what you do, I have a belief in the biological adam and eve. izbo10 is a troll, ignore him.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 8:31:43 AM

It has been proven that the adam and eve story is not true try reading about evolution idiot.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 8:39:22 AM
At 10/5/2011 8:31:43 AM, izbo10 wrote:

It has been proven that the adam and eve story is not true try reading about evolution idiot.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Ad homonym helps nothing.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 10:46:55 AM

Why rule out the idea that there were two people who were the first (modern) humans?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 11:17:22 AM
At 10/4/2011 9:22:15 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
God

that does not help the OP of the thread. Cain was talking to god and the people he was afraid where third party to the conversation.

fallen angles

you believe the earth was populated by fallen angles that Cain would be afraid of judging him for his crime and killing him because they disapprove of his killing his brother Able?

please elaborate.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 11:20:47 AM
At 10/5/2011 8:39:22 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

Win

A Scout is Obedient.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 1:57:42 PM
At 10/5/2011 11:20:47 AM, Marauder wrote:

Win

we are not talking about disputable facts anymore, evolution happened creationism is nonsense. This is not disputable among educated people.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:02:01 PM
At 10/5/2011 1:57:42 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/5/2011 11:20:47 AM, Marauder wrote:

Win

we are not talking about disputable facts anymore, evolution happened creationism is nonsense. This is not disputable among educated people.

at this point reexplaining the facts to idiots who fail to grasp this yet does not seem useful, we need to just tell them they are idiots and continue with conversations among the educated.

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:44:05 PM
at this point reexplaining the facts to idiots who fail to grasp this yet does not seem useful, we need to just tell them they are idiots and continue with conversations among the educated.

Maybe these self-proclaimed educated folks could read the thread topic and the context it is presupposing. Nothing worse than "educated" trolls.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:54:56 PM
At 10/5/2011 2:44:05 PM, Crede wrote:

Maybe these self-proclaimed educated folks could read the thread topic and the context it is presupposing. Nothing worse than "educated" trolls.

Ok, within the context of the thread, this is aftet the murder of Able, was the event being referred to before the birth of Seth?

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:01:45 PM
At 10/5/2011 2:54:56 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:44:05 PM, Crede wrote:

Ok, within the context of the thread, this is aftet the murder of Able, was the event being referred to before the birth of Seth?

with that said the question is within the context of a nonsensical story, adam and eve had three sons Cain and Abel, as well as Seth. They couldn't reproduce unless they got their mother in her later years.

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:03:43 PM

Yes. Adam even says he had another child (Seth) to replace Abel since Cain killed him.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:07:19 PM
At 10/5/2011 3:03:43 PM, Crede wrote:

Yes. Adam even says he had another child (Seth) to replace Abel since Cain killed him.

so when Cain was worried seth was not yet born?

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:10:50 PM

yes.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:24:38 PM
At 10/5/2011 12:40:48 AM, Tiel wrote:

Indeed and agreed.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:27:36 PM
At 10/5/2011 7:16:29 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

Although I don't believe what you do, I have a belief in the biological adam and eve. izbo10 is a troll, ignore him.

He's not a troll; he's just not that smart. lol
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 3:31:34 PM
At 10/5/2011 3:10:50 PM, Crede wrote:

yes.

ok well if i had murdered my brother I think i would be a little paranoid about how my parents viewed me. Question answered.