Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Religion is the same

Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:05:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All religions are the same. They all share common goals, and have some sort of belief in the afterlife. Even Hinduism and Buddhism, eventually an individual escapes the cycle of reincarnation and reaches Moksha, or Nirvana.
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:15:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Correct, and they all put limetations on people; and stop them from being their true selves.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:18:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Taoism?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 1:34:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Buddhism is a bit complicated. Reaching something is more or less realizing the truth of something rather than actually obtaining anything. That said, in my experience, it is rare to find a Buddhist who isn't a dipsh!t. or some pseudo-spiritual airhead housewife.

Taoism was never meant to be a religion, though it was corrupted pretty heavily over the centuries by people who fused it with various Chinese mythologies.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 1:42:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Actually, most religions are a bit more complicated than they are commonly taken as.

Most religions can be interpreted in a way that doesn't have a disconnect from reality. It just depends on your capacity to stretch metaphor.

There are Christians that still believe that Jesus literally rose from the dead physically, even though Paul makes it pretty clear that it was something other than the physical.

Religious texts are almost intentionally misleading. They are meant to separate the honest from those who have made the CHOICE to be schmucks.

Those who stubbornly believe in the ridiculous are singled out as blasphemers.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
shift4101
Posts: 50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 1:42:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Actually, most religions are a bit more complicated than they are commonly taken as.


Most religions can be interpreted in a way that doesn't have a disconnect from reality. It just depends on your capacity to stretch metaphor.

There are Christians that still believe that Jesus literally rose from the dead physically, even though Paul makes it pretty clear that it was something other than the physical.


I have always felt people who interpreted the bible as a metaphor have always been a little disconnected with history. They are very concerned about what the text says and how it can be read, but less concerned about who the audience was who was receiving it. People during the middle ages would be incapable comprehending such texts in their supposedly intended ways, for instance.

Then again, it always seems as new ideas spring up about the bible that seem to diminish the power of God, or make him seem less God-like, which makes people more accepting of other unchristian like behavior (i.e. atheism, multiculturalism, paganism), simply because people do diminish the character and ability of God.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:21:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/4/2011 9:15:44 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Correct, and they all put limetations on people; and stop them from being their true selves.

Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 10:29:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/4/2011 9:15:44 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Correct, and they all put limetations on people; and stop them from being their true selves.
You don't have the choice to be who you want?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 10:54:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM, shift4101 wrote:
I have always felt people who interpreted the bible as a metaphor have always been a little disconnected with history. They are very concerned about what the text says and how it can be read, but less concerned about who the audience was who was receiving it. People during the middle ages would be incapable comprehending such texts in their supposedly intended ways, for instance.

Then again, it always seems as new ideas spring up about the bible that seem to diminish the power of God, or make him seem less God-like, which makes people more accepting of other unchristian like behavior (i.e. atheism, multiculturalism, paganism), simply because people do diminish the character and ability of God.

Whether you consider yourself a Christian or not, it is very obvious that a good portion of the bible is meant to be taken metaphorically. Jesus himself taught mostly through parables, which are rife with metaphor.

At 10/5/2011 2:21:42 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/4/2011 9:15:44 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Correct, and they all put limetations on people; and stop them from being their true selves.

Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism

What is that supposed to discredit him or something?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 11:41:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 10:54:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM, shift4101 wrote:
I have always felt people who interpreted the bible as a metaphor have always been a little disconnected with history. They are very concerned about what the text says and how it can be read, but less concerned about who the audience was who was receiving it. People during the middle ages would be incapable comprehending such texts in their supposedly intended ways, for instance.

Then again, it always seems as new ideas spring up about the bible that seem to diminish the power of God, or make him seem less God-like, which makes people more accepting of other unchristian like behavior (i.e. atheism, multiculturalism, paganism), simply because people do diminish the character and ability of God.

Whether you consider yourself a Christian or not, it is very obvious that a good portion of the bible is meant to be taken metaphorically. Jesus himself taught mostly through parables, which are rife with metaphor.

At 10/5/2011 2:21:42 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/4/2011 9:15:44 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Correct, and they all put limetations on people; and stop them from being their true selves.

Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism

What is that supposed to discredit him or something?

It's a religion predicated on the notion of utter freedom and selfishness, well I am not sure it can be called a religion.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 12:20:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/4/2011 9:05:02 PM, Mikeee wrote:
All religions are the same. They all share common goals,

All sports are the same. They all share the common goal of winning.

and have some sort of belief in the afterlife.

Ok, and? Btw, no they don't. Buddhism and Taoism reject the afterlife.

Even Hinduism and Buddhism, eventually an individual escapes the cycle of reincarnation and reaches Moksha, or Nirvana.

First of all, Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation. Secondly, that doesn't in anyway show how they're the same. Nirvana is nothing at all like Heaven. Nirvana is not even a place! How can you even compare Nirvana to the afterlife of Judeo-Christian religions.

Let me also point out that the goals aren't even the same in religions. Take for example, Islam and Buddhism.

Muslims seek to please and obey Allah and his word. Buddhists seek Enlightenment and self-improvement and are required to obey no one.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 5:24:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 11:41:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/5/2011 10:54:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM, shift4101 wrote:
Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism

What is that supposed to discredit him or something?

It's a religion predicated on the notion of utter freedom and selfishness, well I am not sure it can be called a religion.

It isn't a religion, unless you go to gatherings and do those silly magic rituals or start taking it too seriously.

LaVey Satanism basically exists to piss people off. It is intended to be controversial. Fundamentally, I find it to be an honest philosophy. Everyone is a Satanist, most people are just in denial about it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Crede
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 5:43:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 5:24:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 11:41:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/5/2011 10:54:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM, shift4101 wrote:
Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism

What is that supposed to discredit him or something?

It's a religion predicated on the notion of utter freedom and selfishness, well I am not sure it can be called a religion.

It isn't a religion, unless you go to gatherings and do those silly magic rituals or start taking it too seriously.

LaVey Satanism basically exists to piss people off. It is intended to be controversial. Fundamentally, I find it to be an honest philosophy. Everyone is a Satanist, most people are just in denial about it.

Actually according to LaVey's church of Satan website on their 9 doctrinal statements of what it means to be a member of the church of Satan, nothing is stated to only exist to be a controversy. In stead it states that it is anti-religion in it's entirety, especially agains Theism, and that self-indulgence is better than abstinence.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 5:53:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 5:43:51 PM, Crede wrote:
At 10/5/2011 5:24:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 11:41:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/5/2011 10:54:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:17:38 AM, shift4101 wrote:
Deathbeforedishonour
Beliefs: Laveyan Satanism

What is that supposed to discredit him or something?

It's a religion predicated on the notion of utter freedom and selfishness, well I am not sure it can be called a religion.

It isn't a religion, unless you go to gatherings and do those silly magic rituals or start taking it too seriously.

LaVey Satanism basically exists to piss people off. It is intended to be controversial. Fundamentally, I find it to be an honest philosophy. Everyone is a Satanist, most people are just in denial about it.

Actually according to LaVey's church of Satan website on their 9 doctrinal statements of what it means to be a member of the church of Satan, nothing is stated to only exist to be a controversy. In stead it states that it is anti-religion in it's entirety, especially agains Theism, and that self-indulgence is better than abstinence.

It's called Satanism, and you say that it isn't meant to be controversial?

They don't even believe in God or a Satan, dawg.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Crede
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:04:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
They don't even believe in God or a Satan, dawg.

True, but not to be controversial, but because they actually don't believe in God or Satan.
Crede
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:05:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:04:22 PM, Crede wrote:
They don't even believe in God or a Satan, dawg.

True, but not to be controversial, but because they actually don't believe in God or Satan.

Actually you might be right, because a non-controversial Satanist could be called a naturalist. Maybe the only reason to claim "Satanism" is just for the controversy, or else they'd all be just a bunch of naturalists.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:14:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:04:22 PM, Crede wrote:
They don't even believe in God or a Satan, dawg.

True, but not to be controversial, but because they actually don't believe in God or Satan.

It isn't the views themselves that I am saying are controversial, it is the way they present their views that is meant to be controversial.

Given what they actually believe, it wouldn't even be called "Satanism" if it wasn't meant to offend. It is called Satanism for a reason, and it isn't because Satanists consider themselves to be bad. Most just consider themselves to be honest, and most that I've met aren't nearly as extreme as the book would lead you to believe.

Honestly, self interest is primarily what motivates people. Even if it isn't obvious, doing good for someone else will give one a personal satisfaction. I like helping people, but if I wanted to, I could still call myself a Satanist. I don't though, I find the label to be misleading. It is the same reason why I don't call myself a Christian, a Buddhist, or anything like that.

Sure, I consider myself to be all of these things, but my understanding of these things is so radically different than what the masses believe that it would be misleading. I don't like labels. Lick my decals off, baby. I am what I am.

Probably the least misleading thing I could call myself is a Taoist, but I like discordianism more because it's funnier, and I am absolutely obsessed with the concept of mathematical chaos.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:15:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:05:54 PM, Crede wrote:
At 10/5/2011 6:04:22 PM, Crede wrote:
They don't even believe in God or a Satan, dawg.

True, but not to be controversial, but because they actually don't believe in God or Satan.

Actually you might be right, because a non-controversial Satanist could be called a naturalist. Maybe the only reason to claim "Satanism" is just for the controversy, or else they'd all be just a bunch of naturalists.

Yeah, that is close enough to what I'm saying.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:17:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:16:22 PM, Crede wrote:
Yeah I think you posted that before you saw my last post.

Yeah, I did.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Crede
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 6:36:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:17:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 6:16:22 PM, Crede wrote:
Yeah I think you posted that before you saw my last post.

Yeah, I did.

However their "religioin" is wroght with rituals and practices. This makes it more of a religion and directly opposed to Christianity in the form of believing in Satan himself, even though they don't directly say it. Thoughts?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:12:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 6:36:25 PM, Crede wrote:
At 10/5/2011 6:17:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/5/2011 6:16:22 PM, Crede wrote:
Yeah I think you posted that before you saw my last post.

Yeah, I did.

However their "religioin" is wroght with rituals and practices. This makes it more of a religion and directly opposed to Christianity in the form of believing in Satan himself, even though they don't directly say it. Thoughts?

Satanic rituals are the result of an understanding of magic. No, not the kind of magic you are thinking of, REAL magic. Real magic is the type of magic that illusionists will play on an audience. The tool of a magician is not anything truly arcane or supernatural, but the very belief of the target.

Magic is the manipulation of belief, and if you think of this when examining anything that pertains to magic, you will find that it is true.

Satanist rituals are for those who believe that rituals are necessary for easing some sort of mental tension. It is a release.

Either way, as you see, it is a manipulation of a belief. All rituals are a form of magic.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp