Jump to topic:

to all "intelligent" creationists...

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 1:53:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
how can you deny the thought of evolution? You have to blatantly ignore fact to do so.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 2:07:54 PM
At 10/6/2011 1:53:30 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
how can you deny the thought of evolution? You have to blatantly ignore fact to do so.

the title of this thread is an oxymoron.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 2:09:16 PM
At 10/6/2011 2:07:54 PM, izbo10 wrote:

haha, that would be why I put it in quotes.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:21:15 PM
I'm not sure why there are quotes around intelligent. There are some intelligent creationists out there.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:33:45 PM
At 10/6/2011 4:21:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'm not sure why there are quotes around intelligent. There are some intelligent creationists out there.

It's because this is an attack thread. Rather than engaging it actual debate, the thread is starting right off the bat at attacking and insulting creationists. That causes creationists to dismiss these kinds of threads, which only leaves the creators of the thread talking to themselves, thinking that there is no one that disagrees with them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:45:33 PM

It is amazingly how they become selectively stupid isn't it?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 5:19:38 PM
At 10/6/2011 2:09:16 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
At 10/6/2011 2:07:54 PM, izbo10 wrote:

haha, that would be why I put it in quotes.

I know several mechanical engineers who are creationists. Same with a PhD physicist.

Are they morons?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 5:30:15 PM
I am also a physicist and working towards a high school teaching post baccalaureate.
I also hold a BA in Theology.

I am a creationist.

Do you mind listing your qualficiations that allows you the determine the mental capacity of a creationist?
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:10:52 PM
At 10/6/2011 5:30:15 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I am also a physicist and working towards a high school teaching post baccalaureate.

I am a creationist.

Do you mind listing your qualficiations that allows you the determine the mental capacity of a creationist?

lol, yeah ok and Im a chinese fighter pilot.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:13:15 PM
What is the fundamental belief of a creationist?

After answering this, what about it intrinsically contradicts evolution?

I'd imagine that there are creationists who see evolution as being a part of the creation process.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:16:11 PM
At 10/6/2011 6:13:15 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
What is the fundamental belief of a creationist?

After answering this, what about it intrinsically contradicts evolution?

I'd imagine that there are creationists who see evolution as being a part of the creation process.

Its not evolution that is the problem for some creationists, its the evolution by natural selection part that is the problem. Even that is not a problem if you assume the creator didn't have any specific creatures in mind and just created a universe.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:24:28 PM
I don't understand why chaos can't be considered part of the "hand of god".

Maybe God is just so awesome that all it has to do is lay down some laws, and then let everything run it's course until it is as complex is the current universe.

To me, that's more impressive than being some kid who plays spore.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:27:56 PM
At 10/6/2011 6:24:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Maybe God is just so awesome that all it has to do is lay down some laws, and then let everything run it's course until it is as complex is the current universe.

Hence Deism.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 6:41:50 PM
At 10/6/2011 6:27:56 PM, Crede wrote:
At 10/6/2011 6:24:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Hence Deism.

It could be a few things yeah, but deism is definitely one of them.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 9:38:47 PM
At 10/6/2011 6:10:52 PM, izbo10 wrote:

I am a creationist.

lol, yeah ok and Im a chinese fighter pilot.

It isn't everyday that you see such brilliant, crushing arguments on DDO.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 11:53:02 PM
At 10/6/2011 4:45:33 PM, izbo10 wrote:

It is amazingly how they become selectively stupid isn't it?

Its amazing how your indiscriminately stupid
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:15:09 AM

You do understand there is a significant difference between YEC and other creationism, right?

Now, I happen to agree that YEC is stupid. However, any Theist is a creationist. I can guarantee you that there are perhaps millions of 'creationists' on this planet who are more intelligent than you.

kthxbai.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:44:37 AM
At 10/7/2011 12:15:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:

You do understand there is a significant difference between YEC and other creationism, right?

Now, I happen to agree that YEC is stupid. However, any Theist is a creationist. I can guarantee you that there are perhaps millions of 'creationists' on this planet who are more intelligent than you.

kthxbai.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 1:52:11 AM

kthxbai.

The Bible says that man was created as a special being in the image of God, as opposed to the evolutionary view that holds man is just another animal in the evolutionary process - which probably started by random chance. Evolution is a philosophy based on naturalism and materialism. Naturalism holds that nature is all there is and that the universe is self-sufficient without a supernatural cause or control of the world. Materialism regards matter as the original cause of all — that matter did its own creating. Materialism denies the existence of the soul. The philosophical assumption of evolution is therefore essentially atheistic or agnostic, thus seemingly incompatible with special creation and the other miracles of the Bible.

With evolution, if God exists, He is so distant as to be irrelevant. The Bible teaches that God created man by fiat (supernatural power) - not by natural processes as evolution suggests. Evolution also seems to imply that survival/perpetuation is the 'meaning' of life, as opposed to human beings having an alternate special purpose. Since evolution offers no real purpose for life, it results in an absence of meaning, and therefore an absence of objective moral values. This is clearly in conflict with the Bible. Evolution also seems to deny that man even has a sinful nature or that we should be faulted for our human nature because "that is just our nature." Thus evolution is inconsistent with the Christian belief that man is indeed fallen and in need of a savior.

Sure, apologetics can try and reconcile these things (because they know that not accepting evolution is just DUMB), but that doesn't make their connections significant enough to be taken seriously. They're trying to relate apples and oranges to make their side appear more credible. It's easy to say "Oh that's not what the Bible really meant here... Sure, the Bible is to be taken literally here but not here." How convenient :)
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 2:31:34 AM

I am a creationist.

You are not a physicist. Don't get me wrong you are intelligent, but you have no scientific qualifications or inclinations.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 6:53:59 AM
it is because creationism is sort of ridiculous, but I put it in quotes because intelligence is relative. I am sorry if it offended anyone. (:
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 9:51:22 AM

? . . . i believe people think about evolution all the time .. . also, I firmly agree that creatures evolve (after all Noah only brought two creatures on board the arc of each type, now look at them all!)

but, how can you deny the though of creationism . .. im pretty sure i think about it all the time.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:05:23 AM
At 10/7/2011 9:51:22 AM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:

? . . . i believe people think about evolution all the time .. . also, I firmly agree that creatures evolve (after all Noah only brought two creatures on board the arc of each type, now look at them all!)

but, how can you deny the though of creationism . .. im pretty sure i think about it all the time.
well, through the overwhelming proof of evolution, I can safely deny the thought of creationism.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 2:36:39 PM
At 10/7/2011 1:52:11 AM, Danielle wrote:

kthxbai.

The Bible says that man was created as a special being in the image of God, as opposed to the evolutionary view that holds man is just another animal in the evolutionary process - which probably started by random chance. Evolution is a philosophy based on naturalism and materialism. Naturalism holds that nature is all there is and that the universe is self-sufficient without a supernatural cause or control of the world. Materialism regards matter as the original cause of all — that matter did its own creating. Materialism denies the existence of the soul. The philosophical assumption of evolution is therefore essentially atheistic or agnostic, thus seemingly incompatible with special creation and the other miracles of the Bible.

With evolution, if God exists, He is so distant as to be irrelevant. The Bible teaches that God created man by fiat (supernatural power) - not by natural processes as evolution suggests. Evolution also seems to imply that survival/perpetuation is the 'meaning' of life, as opposed to human beings having an alternate special purpose. Since evolution offers no real purpose for life, it results in an absence of meaning, and therefore an absence of objective moral values. This is clearly in conflict with the Bible. Evolution also seems to deny that man even has a sinful nature or that we should be faulted for our human nature because "that is just our nature." Thus evolution is inconsistent with the Christian belief that man is indeed fallen and in need of a savior.

Sure, apologetics can try and reconcile these things (because they know that not accepting evolution is just DUMB), but that doesn't make their connections significant enough to be taken seriously. They're trying to relate apples and oranges to make their side appear more credible. It's easy to say "Oh that's not what the Bible really meant here... Sure, the Bible is to be taken literally here but not here." How convenient :)

Dare to defend your view?