Jump to topic:

Christianity is not a religion . . .

gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 9:08:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
recently I've been hearing more and more of my Christians claim that Christianity isn't a religion, every time the follow up with the cliche' remark that its a "relationship."

Does this make sense? As a Christian Ive always enjoyed taking pride in my religion ...

This isn't just a figure of speech either, they legitimately believe that its not a religion, so I guess the question is:

if you're a Christian, why make this distinction, its petty and muddies the water if you will . . .

if you're some other religion do you make the same claims?

lastly, if you're an athiest what do you think about this?
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 9:14:09 PM
Christianity meets the definition of a religion.
Perhaps these "people" you speak of are trying to avoid some pre-conceived negative connotation about what a religion is?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 9:25:15 PM
At 10/6/2011 9:14:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Perhaps these "people" you speak of are trying to avoid some pre-conceived negative connotation about what a religion is?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 11:19:41 PM
Atheism its not a religion its a personal relationship with reality, is such a great quote mocking this stupidity.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:31:36 AM
At 10/6/2011 11:19:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Atheism its not a religion its a personal relationship with reality, is such a great quote mocking this stupidity.

I lol'd.

Its not assault, its just a punch in the face.

Semantics anyone ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:37:16 AM
People are quick to call Izbo stupid, when in reality, he's just an @sshole.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 6:11:00 AM
At 10/6/2011 11:19:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Sigged
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 9:45:14 AM
it just pisses me off to see them smugly proclaim this . . . Almost as though thanks to the generally negative connotation surrounding religion they've packed up and run . . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 3:47:47 PM
How is Christianity not religion? Ask them that.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 3:54:36 PM
Ask them to define religion. They probably have a different idea of what a religion is than you.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:06:18 PM
At 10/7/2011 9:45:14 AM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
it just pisses me off to see them smugly proclaim this . . . Almost as though thanks to the generally negative connotation surrounding religion they've packed up and run . . .

Tell them that their God is cheating on them and seeing other people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:09:45 PM
No I think tvellalott nailed it when he said Christians say this to try and break down mental barriers people build up with the general distaste for religion. Also Christians say this because of the belief that it is the only true religion, and therefore not just a religion as if it were one of many apples in the basket to pick from. I know I know this is and sounds completely subjective, but it is the mentallity of a Christian. If nothing else you have to admire the full-hearted commitment they / we have. It's not a confession of ignorance, but rather an attempt to speak to someone without preconceived notions of what Christianity is.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:27:30 PM
At 10/7/2011 4:09:45 PM, Crede wrote:
No I think tvellalott nailed it when he said Christians say this to try and break down mental barriers people build up with the general distaste for religion. Also Christians say this because of the belief that it is the only true religion, and therefore not just a religion as if it were one of many apples in the basket to pick from. I know I know this is and sounds completely subjective, but it is the mentallity of a Christian. If nothing else you have to admire the full-hearted commitment they / we have. It's not a confession of ignorance, but rather an attempt to speak to someone without preconceived notions of what Christianity is.

Even Christians have preconceived notions about what Christianity is.

Breaking that down in anyone is almost impossible.

If you really want to learn about what Christianity is, you have to forget everything you learned in church. You have to forget about everything you've been told.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:35:50 PM
If you really want to learn about what Christianity is, you have to forget everything you learned in church. You have to forget about everything you've been told.

Wow you are jaded. Just read the bible, and if you find a Chruch that holds that as truth then you are doing just fine in learning about true Christianity.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:39:40 PM
At 10/7/2011 4:35:50 PM, Crede wrote:

Wow you are jaded. Just read the bible, and if you find a Chruch that holds that as truth then you are doing just fine in learning about true Christianity.

which bible?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:46:07 PM
At 10/7/2011 4:35:50 PM, Crede wrote:

I'm not jaded, I'm just aware of the many different ways the bible can be interpreted.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:52:52 PM
I'm not jaded, I'm just aware of the many different ways the bible can be interpreted.

Oh come on Cosmic, your telling me your honestly not jaded? Seriously take a minute and think of church, Jesus, and the Christian, and tell me you don't feel emotions of stereotype, ignorance, and arrogance. If you actually don't then I will take back this post, but I can hardly believe that when your statement of not being jaded is true.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:02:31 PM
At 10/7/2011 4:52:52 PM, Crede wrote:

Oh come on Cosmic, your telling me your honestly not jaded? Seriously take a minute and think of church, Jesus, and the Christian, and tell me you don't feel emotions of stereotype, ignorance, and arrogance. If you actually don't then I will take back this post, but I can hardly believe that when your statement of not being jaded is true.

which bible are we talking about: King James, New King James, New International Edition, Codex Siniacticus, New American Standard........ which one?

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:11:19 PM
which bible are we talking about: King James, New King James, New International Edition, Codex Siniacticus, New American Standard........ which one?

I understand your synical nature to your comment...So I reply any version alongside the Hebrew / Greek bible to reference root words and to get deeper meanings. Also to read it with an OT/NT survey book to understand more deeply the context in which it was written pertaining to the audience and culture it was written in. But regardless of these, the main meaning behind scripture, can be attained through a genuine search of the spirit.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:20:06 PM
At 10/7/2011 4:52:52 PM, Crede wrote:

Churches are usually very different from each other, and for the most part, Christians are nice people.

Yes, I've been mistreated by a particular church in the past, but most churches aren't so daring.

Most Christians don't really put too much thought into what they believe. Most people don't put too much thought into what they believe.

On the whole, I'd say that human beings are very ineffective communicators, and this prevents an effective religion from being established.

Otherwise, I hold as much disdain for the church as Jesus did.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:27:35 PM

Jesus had disdain for the church because it lacked the spirit. They got so consumed with the law and boasting for upholding it they had begun to miss the point. The Christian church there after has the spirit, gifted by Christ through his atonement for sin. So to say you have disdain for the church today, is to say you have disdain for Christ. For Christ said if you believe in him you partake in his body. The church of Christ is the body with Christ as the head, and the spirit is the Holy Spirit. The Christian church today, even with it's imperfections, and luke warm ignorant Christians, is Christs body. So be careful when you compare the church of old with the church of new.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:33:02 PM
At 10/7/2011 5:27:35 PM, Crede wrote:

Jesus had disdain for the church because it lacked the spirit. They got so consumed with the law and boasting for upholding it they had begun to miss the point. The Christian church there after has the spirit, gifted by Christ through his atonement for sin. So to say you have disdain for the church today, is to say you have disdain for Christ. For Christ said if you believe in him you partake in his body. The church of Christ is the body with Christ as the head, and the spirit is the Holy Spirit. The Christian church today, even with it's imperfections, and luke warm ignorant Christians, is Christs body. So be careful when you compare the church of old with the church of new.

How pretentious.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:34:34 PM
At 10/7/2011 5:27:35 PM, Crede wrote:

The historical Jesus was as consumed with the law, it wasn't until later that we see the mythological Jesus changing from this. You have to understand the context of what is being writtien, isn't it you who said this.

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:43:07 PM
The historical Jesus was as consumed with the law, it wasn't until later that we see the mythological Jesus changing from this. You have to understand the context of what is being writtien, isn't it you who said this.

No he came to say that they had misunderstood the law. They were taking it at face value and not understanding the intent of God's word. For example the accusation brought to him about not honoring the sabath when he did a miracle healing. Jesus had a consistent theme that without him you cannot understand God, because you don't understand him. So yes, Jesus quoted the law often, but brought a new meaning to it, a deeper meaning as it can be seen through his spirit.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:46:10 PM
How pretentious.

No Cosmic, not pretentious, but scripture driven truth. Christ himself repeatedly refers himself as the bridegroom to the church.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:47:26 PM
How pretentious.

No Cosmic, not pretentious, but scripture driven truth. Christ himself repeatedly refers himself as the bridegroom to the church..
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:50:13 PM
The letter of the law killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Of course, finding a Christian who actually understands the words that are being used in the bible is like unearthing a fossil by digging in your backyard.

Christian interpretations tend to be very otherworldly and fantastic. Spirit has somehow become some type of ghost or supernatural entity when that is not at all what it is.

Then you have the problem of those who believe the bible to be the literal, set apart word of God. This is tantamount to idolatry in my opinion.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:51:29 PM
At 10/7/2011 5:43:07 PM, Crede wrote:

No he came to say that they had misunderstood the law. They were taking it at face value and not understanding the intent of God's word. For example the accusation brought to him about not honoring the sabath when he did a miracle healing. Jesus had a consistent theme that without him you cannot understand God, because you don't understand him. So yes, Jesus quoted the law often, but brought a new meaning to it, a deeper meaning as it can be seen through his spirit.

No study actual historical research on Jesus, not the Jesus of christian mythology, there is a distinct differenct. Who was Jesus of Nazareth?

He was a boy born in Nazareth not Bethlehem, who failed to impress the Pharisees in his own town, by failing at miracles. He would eventually gain noteriety outside of Nazareth. He started to preach of an impending end times and as a rabinic Jew preached of a coming end times(within his peers life times). He would eventually be put to death on the cross. End of Story. This information comes from analyxis of Mark,Matthew and Luke(the synoptic gospels) and using Mark as the best available source. You add in that you piece together a lost work labeled Q or Quelle, which was lost collection of sayings of Jesus, and we get a much more accurate detailed understanding of who a historical Jesus really was.

Paul would eventually make him more loving. Matthew and Luke would create stories of virgin births and bodily resurrections. John was whole hardily making things up as he went for the most part by time he wrote. Who could blame him, times were changing and the end times had not come.

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 5:53:09 PM
At 10/6/2011 9:14:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:

No, no, no..

God is real..
you either know him or you don't...

If you know him you're christian.. if you don't you're not.

"religions" are beliefs based in your being sinful and believing the words of devils.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."