Jump to topic:

Voluntary Concession

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 10:45:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Has there ever been a debate that anybody knows of on DDO where either Pro or Con after reading their opponents argument just concedes. Their argument was to good and caused the opponent to change his mind and outlook on the topic. I could see this being an ego thing, especially when it comes to religion, but it would be nice to see such brutal honesty. Just wondering if anybody has ever seen it.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 10:50:16 PM
I've seen it.

I think its questionable though, even if it does convince you, it's your job as the opposition to provide as strong a counter-argument as possible. I'm sure I could dig up examples.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 11:24:43 PM
You are on a debate site.

This place is as egotistical as they come.

The debate system is not conducive to an honest exchange of ideas, and I don't think it ever can be. This is why I prefer to interact on the forums. There is more to learn on the forums, because competition isn't necessary. If you are in a formal debate, there is a pressure to contradict your opponent whether or not he/she makes you concede your point or not.

The debate system will always be hampered by ego, but at least if someone so chooses, they can be honest on the forums. On the forums, you can admit that you have been convinced or have at least changed your opinion without a "loss" being counted against you.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp