Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Debate resolutions/topics I want to debate.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 5:11:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So thought I would put up a thread of things I want to debate. Guess I am kinda sick of just creating a debate and taking who ever comes along.

Resolution: Atheism is reasonable/rational

I would take the Pro side.

Not to sure if that is how I should word the resolution. What I want to argue for is that not believing that that an omi god exists is reasonable and or rational. I am looking to debate the absence of belief in an omi god specifically, so maybe a kind of non theism would be a better way of putting it.

Resolution: Kalam Cosmological argument

I would take Con

Here I am looking to debate not just the conclusion that says "the universe has a cause" but also the added argument that support that the cause of the universe must be God. (Classic Omi God of course)

Resolution: Gay marriage should be illegal

I would take the Con

Yep, its another gay marriage debate :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:58:33 AM
I think atheism is a rational position just like any other religion besides paganism and Satanism. Atheism is just a false position.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 10:49:28 AM
At 10/8/2011 9:58:33 AM, Calvincambridge wrote:
I think atheism is a rational position just like any other religion besides paganism and Satanism. Atheism is just a false position.

Atheism is a non-position. Not doing the Macarena isn't false dancing, it's non-dancing.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 3:01:05 PM
At 10/8/2011 10:49:28 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:

Atheism is a non-position. Not doing the Macarena isn't false dancing, it's non-dancing.

Wouldn't you be taking a position if you said there was no dance called the Macarena?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 5:02:44 PM
At 10/8/2011 3:01:05 PM, jharry wrote:

Wouldn't you be taking a position if you said there was no dance called the Macarena?

That's not what atheism is. It's a lack of belief, not a positive assertion of a negative position. If I don't have a belief in something, it doesn't mean that I actively believe it doesn't exist.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 7:37:52 PM

Would anyone like to debate me on paganism and Satanism being a justified religion, I would be on the Pro side.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:11:06 PM
At 10/8/2011 7:37:52 PM, Mikeee wrote:

Would anyone like to debate me on paganism and Satanism being a justified religion, I would be on the Pro side.

I will be con
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:08:12 PM
At 10/8/2011 5:11:56 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Resolution: Atheism is reasonable/rational

I would take the Pro side.

Not to sure if that is how I should word the resolution.

Resolved: Strong atheism (the belief that gods do not exist) is reasonable.

Resolved: It is reasonable not to believe in gods.

Resolved: Strong atheism (the belief that gods do not exist) is at least as reasonable as theism.

Resolved: Atheism is a reasonable response to reading the arguments of William Lane Craig.

Resolved: Non-theism is more reasonable than theism.

Resolved: Non-theism is at least as reasonable as theism.

Resolved: Since theists make really bad arguments, and since people who make bad arguments generally do so because they don't know any good arguments, it stands to reason that we shouldn't expect any good arguments from theists.

Resolved: Even if theism is a reasonable position, it isn't the only reasonable position.

Resolved: Theism sucks.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:20:37 PM

I would take Con

That's not a resolution. A resolution is a statement. If you want to be Con, you could say something like:

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument provides a logical warrant for believing in the existence of a god.

Or,

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument provides a logical warrant for believing in the existence of Jehovah.

If you want to be Pro, you reverse it, something like:

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument fails to provide a reasonable basis for believing in god.

Here I am looking to debate not just the conclusion that says "the universe has a cause" but also the added argument that support that the cause of the universe must be God. (Classic Omi God of course)

Okay, then, if you want to be Con, you can go with something like,

- Resolved, the Kalam Cosmological Argument establishes the existence of the Christian God.

Only you really shouldn't get any takers on that resolution. There aren't two sides to the issue. Plantinga and William Lane Craig totally agree with you, and everyone else should too.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:46:28 PM
At 10/12/2011 9:20:37 PM, wiploc wrote:

I would take Con

That's not a resolution. A resolution is a statement. If you want to be Con, you could say something like:

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument provides a logical warrant for believing in the existence of a god.

Or,

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument provides a logical warrant for believing in the existence of Jehovah.

Agreed.

If you want to be Pro, you reverse it, something like:

- Resolved: The Kalam Cosmological Argument fails to provide a reasonable basis for believing in god.

Okay, then, if you want to be Con, you can go with something like,

- Resolved, the Kalam Cosmological Argument establishes the existence of the Christian God.

Only you really shouldn't get any takers on that resolution. There aren't two sides to the issue. Plantinga and William Lane Craig totally agree with you, and everyone else should too.

Right, that's why I talked about the more generic OMI God, the christian God wasn't even mentioned. I am not expecting some one to argue that Kalam proves the christian God.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:48:10 PM
I think atheism is a rational position just like any other religion besides paganism and Satanism.

I'll debate you that Satanism is equally rational to Christianity and Paganism even more so.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 12:12:24 AM
At 10/8/2011 5:02:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 10/8/2011 3:01:05 PM, jharry wrote:

That's not what atheism is. It's a lack of belief, not a positive assertion of a negative
position. If I don't have a belief in something, it doesn't mean that I actively believe it
doesn't exist.

How can you not actively believe something doesn't exist? That doesn't make sense. If you even think of it you are making a judgement one way or the other. If I don't believe something is true I think about it and take a position on it.

It looks like a bunch of semantics to me.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:24:52 PM
At 10/13/2011 12:12:24 AM, jharry wrote:
That's not what atheism is. It's a lack of belief, not a positive assertion of a negative
position. If I don't have a belief in something, it doesn't mean that I actively believe it
doesn't exist.

How can you not actively believe something doesn't exist? That doesn't make sense. If you even think of it you are making a judgement one way or the other. If I don't believe something is true I think about it and take a position on it.

So you take a position on every issue? You have a belief one way or the other on whether I have an odd number of coins in my pocket? I don't think so.

Some people believe gods exist; some people believe gods don't exist, and some people don't believe either way. Call them, "fence sitters," if you want, but don't try to deny their existence.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:37:58 PM
At 10/13/2011 9:24:52 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 10/13/2011 12:12:24 AM, jharry wrote:
doesn't exist.

So you take a position on every issue? You have a belief one way or the other on whether I have an odd number of coins in my pocket? I don't think so.

Some people believe gods exist; some people believe gods don't exist, and some people don't believe either way. Call them, "fence sitters," if you want, but don't try to deny their existence.

How about a debate on whether such people exists, haha.