Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

I know we are talking religion here, but...

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:19:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is there anyone on this forum who is actually emotionally detached enough to discuss the subject intellectually while also being civil?

Is there anything really gained by insulting each other and looking past what one is saying?

I'd rather see people working to find a mutual understanding, but you see none of that here. I see a lot of Poes, I see a lot of stereotypes, and I see a lot of hate.

Why are you here? Why do you preach whatever message you are trying to preach? If you are here, you should be here to learn or aide others in their quest for truth. No one is going to listen to you if you act like a wanker. It doesn't matter what you are saying, it doesn't matter if you are right on the money, and just predicted the outcome of the the World Cup along with all injuries etc, if you are being a pr!ck about it, people are going to think you are an arrogant @sshole. Right or wrong, that's just how people are. If you are just trying to stir up trouble, you aren't being productive. If you see that someone is stirring up trouble, you aren't being productive by engaging them.

So why are you on this forum? Think about that.

With loves and kisses.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:36:15 PM
At 10/14/2011 9:19:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Is there anyone on this forum who is actually emotionally detached enough to discuss the subject intellectually while also being civil?

Is there anything really gained by insulting each other and looking past what one is saying?

I'd rather see people working to find a mutual understanding, but you see none of that here. I see a lot of Poes, I see a lot of stereotypes, and I see a lot of hate.

Why are you here? Why do you preach whatever message you are trying to preach? If you are here, you should be here to learn or aide others in their quest for truth. No one is going to listen to you if you act like a wanker. It doesn't matter what you are saying, it doesn't matter if you are right on the money, and just predicted the outcome of the the World Cup along with all injuries etc, if you are being a pr!ck about it, people are going to think you are an arrogant @sshole. Right or wrong, that's just how people are. If you are just trying to stir up trouble, you aren't being productive. If you see that someone is stirring up trouble, you aren't being productive by engaging them.

With loves and kisses.

I think people who refuse to grasp reality at some point need a proverbial slap in the face. Insults have a useful effect on people.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:38:03 PM
At 10/14/2011 9:36:15 PM, izbo10 wrote:

With loves and kisses.

I think people who refuse to grasp reality at some point need a proverbial slap in the face. Insults have a useful effect on people.

Useful in realizing you are incoherent.
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:47:19 PM

With loves and kisses.

Good post, Cosmic.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:48:03 PM
Now now, this is what I'm talking about.

Izbo, I can see where you are coming from, but trust me when I say it isn't as effective as you might think it is.

Slapping people in the face doesn't work. For it to work, you have to stick them in prison for a while, and make them eat bologna every day. Even that doesn't work usually, it just makes them more pissed.

You don't have to believe me, but please be open to the possibility.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 9:49:54 PM

With loves and kisses.

When studying history, it is interesting to see how people adapt religion and incorporated other ideas, such as incarnation in both Buddhism and Hinduism, and "good vs evil" in Zoroastrianism and most monotheistic faiths". I do not believe in strict church teachings and doctrines that describe my faith and what I believe in (which is where most atheist fail in trying to disprove religion). I believe that true religion is the religion that is discovered by one's self. Manichaeism is interesting and inspirational because it takes the best "truths" and ideas from multiple religions, Zoroastrianism, Christianity, and Buddhism, and makes them one. Religions like this make more sense and are more appealing to me.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 10:45:33 PM
At 10/14/2011 9:49:54 PM, Mikeee wrote:

With loves and kisses.

When studying history, it is interesting to see how people adapt religion and incorporated other ideas, such as incarnation in both Buddhism and Hinduism, and "good vs evil" in Zoroastrianism and most monotheistic faiths". I do not believe in strict church teachings and doctrines that describe my faith and what I believe in (which is where most atheist fail in trying to disprove religion). I believe that true religion is the religion that is discovered by one's self. Manichaeism is interesting and inspirational because it takes the best "truths" and ideas from multiple religions, Zoroastrianism, Christianity, and Buddhism, and makes them one. Religions like this make more sense and are more appealing to me.

That's all fine and dandy. There is no reason why these ideas, which are fundamentally philosophical can't be discussed civilly.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 11:30:02 PM

With loves and kisses.

Personally I enjoy pointing out where people are wrong and stupid in a condescending way on the internet where they shouldn't care too much. It helps relieve some stress and anger for me. :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 11:38:39 PM
At 10/14/2011 11:30:02 PM, rogue wrote:

With loves and kisses.

Personally I enjoy pointing out where people are wrong and stupid in a condescending way on the internet where they shouldn't care too much. It helps relieve some stress and anger for me. :)

It's ok if you do it, because of your tasty hair pies, and beautiful eyes.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 11:47:13 PM
At 10/14/2011 11:30:02 PM, rogue wrote:

With loves and kisses.

TROLLOLOLOL.

but seriously.. Yelling arguments isnt going to convert anyone. It needs to be done slowly and civily. +1 interwebz point to cosmic.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 6:46:57 AM

Oh yes, unfortunately we need two such people.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 8:01:54 AM

With loves and kisses.
It's not only in this forum, nor are religious people anywhere near the most insulting ones. Try again.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 11:17:25 AM
At 10/15/2011 8:01:54 AM, Mirza wrote:

With loves and kisses.
It's not only in this forum, nor are religious people anywhere near the most insulting ones. Try again.

What about my post made you feel I was accusing religious people of anything? I'm talking about the people on this forum, the religion forum. That includes religious and non-religious.
Diagoras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 3:46:11 PM

With loves and kisses.

There's not a middle ground. If one person says "2+2=4" and another person says "no, 2+2=6" the first person shouldn't say "well, let's meet in the middle and say 2+2=5."

If people are going to believe something that is wrong, they should be told that they are wrong. If they want to get defensive and angry, we can get angry right back at them and throw down more logic. Sure, the slapping around isn't needed, but sometimes people need to be hit by the truth, rather than just told the truth.