Total Posts:81|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

WTF Atheism?

Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 8:51:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why are there so many "kids", members under the legal age (18), that are either atheist or agnostic, on this site? These "kids" are also the ones who get all defensive and "pushy" about their "faith", and are the ones who are criticizing and attacking others on their views of faith.

Personally, I feel that I do not know enough, or experienced enough, to come to a firm conclusion on my faith. I think that some of these "kids" are declaring atheism due to the lack of knowing what certain faiths are truly about. Often I see post that a just wrong and ignorant, because they are completely untrue regarding the faith that they are trying to un-justify. Just from looking at a few post, it is evident that they have wrong information, and have not even considered looking at something from a different perspective.

These "kids" cannot come up with any justification for being an atheist other than, because they do not know enough, or using any "main stream" ideas.

My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths.

Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Zoroastrianism
Buddhism
Hinduism
Confucianism
Taoism
Manichaeism
Basic Monotheism religions
Basic Polytheism religions
Basic Animism religions
Satanic Worship

One thing that would be mentioned; you should look at what I meant to be taught, not what is actual. To clarify, do not be so anal about strict church rules, doctrines, and other aspects of organized religion. Focus on the main ideas, do not think that you should not be, let's say christian for example, because the pope deems people of my lifestyle to hell. Do not be super analytical either, because unless you read the original, untranslated version, such as the Qur'an, there are going to be some stuff that doesn't make sense in English, but is easily understandable in the original langue. I hope you "kids" can look at some new religious ideas, and turn to one that is right for you, or at least now be able to justify (well) being an atheist
kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:01:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM, kohai wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.

LOL epic fail, at least read the bible before you try to disprove it "kid"
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:01:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM, kohai wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.

I'm sure that's exactly the response the OP wanted, thanks for your input
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
fergie1
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:03:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"The irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end. The plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live. The hour is getting very late to be able to indulge in having in key decisions made by religious people. By irrationalists, by those who would steer the ship of state not by a compass, but by the equivalent of reading the entrails of a chicken. George Bush prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn a lot about it. Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting things dead wrong. This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you actually comes at a terrible price. If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you'd resign in protest. To do otherwise is to be an enabler, a mafia wife, for the true devils of extremism that draw their legitimacy from the billions of their fellow travelers. If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it. That's it. Grow up or die." -Bill Maher
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:07:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:01:12 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM, kohai wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.

LOL epic fail, at least read the bible before you try to disprove it "kid"

LOL! I read the bible. I am an apostate of Christianity. EPIC FAIL!
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:08:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:03:49 PM, fergie1 wrote:
"The irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end. The plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live. The hour is getting very late to be able to indulge in having in key decisions made by religious people. By irrationalists, by those who would steer the ship of state not by a compass, but by the equivalent of reading the entrails of a chicken. George Bush prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn a lot about it. Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting things dead wrong. This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you actually comes at a terrible price. If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you'd resign in protest. To do otherwise is to be an enabler, a mafia wife, for the true devils of extremism that draw their legitimacy from the billions of their fellow travelers. If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it. That's it. Grow up or die." -Bill Maher

See this is exactly what I'm talking about, your just pointing out stupid people, who just happen to be religious. I can point out stupid atheist, but it wouldn't make any difference. Have you ever heard of West Baptist Church? Completely ignorant and stupid, they represent "faithful people", but not all "faithful people" are like that....
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:09:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My atheism (which I TRY to not speak about too much) stemmed from the time where I was a devout (and I do mean DEVOUT, devout) Catholic. It's weak atheism, of course--I by no means know--or pretend to know--if there's a god or gods. However, I believe there isn't. I know that this would be only anti-Catholicism, and I recognize that. I also recognize that one of the other (non-Abrahamic) religions MAY be for me.

That being said, I still feel it valid identify a a weak atheist, as that is currently my belief.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.

There are also other faiths, just because one religion is completely outrageous doesn't mean its right. Most religions are probably wrong, such as satin worship, how I'm I ignorant?

Personal I don't "have" a religion, but I believe in aspects of Buddhist, Toasit, and Islamic teachings, I do not except everything, just what I personally believe is right...
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:13:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:07:45 PM, kohai wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:01:12 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM, kohai wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.

LOL epic fail, at least read the bible before you try to disprove it "kid"

LOL! I read the bible. I am an apostate of Christianity. EPIC FAIL!

Have you looked at more than one view on the matter and other religious beliefs, because your ignorance show otherwise, and you are only helping to "prove" your stereotype.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.

There are also other faiths, just because one religion is completely outrageous doesn't mean its right. Most religions are probably wrong, such as satin worship, how I'm I ignorant?

Personal I don't "have" a religion, but I believe in aspects of Buddhist, Toasit, and Islamic teachings, I do not except everything, just what I personally believe is right...

Cause they all have something in common, non testable claims.

If your going to believe one non testable claim, why not believe them all ? I want my virgins damm it.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:17:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 8:51:08 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Why are there so many "kids", members under the legal age (18), that are either atheist or agnostic, on this site? These "kids" are also the ones who get all defensive and "pushy" about their "faith", and are the ones who are criticizing and attacking others on their views of faith.

Personally, I feel that I do not know enough, or experienced enough, to come to a firm conclusion on my faith. I think that some of these "kids" are declaring atheism due to the lack of knowing what certain faiths are truly about. Often I see post that a just wrong and ignorant, because they are completely untrue regarding the faith that they are trying to un-justify. Just from looking at a few post, it is evident that they have wrong information, and have not even considered looking at something from a different perspective.

These "kids" cannot come up with any justification for being an atheist other than, because they do not know enough, or using any "main stream" ideas.

My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths.

Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Zoroastrianism
Buddhism
Hinduism
Confucianism
Taoism
Manichaeism
Basic Monotheism religions
Basic Polytheism religions
Basic Animism religions
Satanic Worship

One thing that would be mentioned; you should look at what I meant to be taught, not what is actual. To clarify, do not be so anal about strict church rules, doctrines, and other aspects of organized religion. Focus on the main ideas, do not think that you should not be, let's say christian for example, because the pope deems people of my lifestyle to hell. Do not be super analytical either, because unless you read the original, untranslated version, such as the Qur'an, there are going to be some stuff that doesn't make sense in English, but is easily understandable in the original langue. I hope you "kids" can look at some new religious ideas, and turn to one that is right for you, or at least now be able to justify (well) being an atheist

Why don't I believe in those? Simple, there is no reason to.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:18:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.

There are also other faiths, just because one religion is completely outrageous doesn't mean its right. Most religions are probably wrong, such as satin worship, how I'm I ignorant?

Personal I don't "have" a religion, but I believe in aspects of Buddhist, Toasit, and Islamic teachings, I do not except everything, just what I personally believe is right...

Cause they all have something in common, non testable claims.

If your going to believe one non testable claim, why not believe them all ? I want my virgins damm it.

Now your the one being ignorant, if one of their beliefs is in NOT committing adultery, then why you it be a "reward" when they go to "heaven" after living a "faithful" life, there is obviously more to that believe, and it is just being manipulated because the truth is people like you are afraid of it...
themedianerd
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:18:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.

No one can prove a negitive. its like trying to prove that i do not have a invisible pink unicorn in my room that is un-tochable. because right as your getting close to disproving its existence i can just make up a brand new property that you have to disprove. also the problem atheists have with religion is that you NEVERsee a atheist burning down a hospital because the doctors performing abortions are "killing innocent babys". because just imagine how awesome it would be to just let scientists do their thing without people shoving their "morality" in the way of scientific achievement. because here is a question, did religion provide us with electricity,tvs,the internet, legit health care, and cars? NO! those modern conveniences come from people who think with their brains not their hearts.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:20:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Bump of my first post:

My atheism (which I TRY to not speak about too much) stemmed from the time where I was a devout (and I do mean DEVOUT, devout) Catholic. It's weak atheism, of course--I by no means know--or pretend to know--if there's a god or gods. However, I believe there isn't. I know that this would be only anti-Catholicism, and I recognize that. I also recognize that one of the other (non-Abrahamic) religions MAY be for me.

That being said, I still feel it valid identify a a weak atheist, as that is currently my belief.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:22:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:18:54 PM, themedianerd wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?

Maybe you are the ignorant one, maybe you need to stop attacking these faith claims and see it from a new perspective.

No one can prove a negitive. its like trying to prove that i do not have a invisible pink unicorn in my room that is un-tochable. because right as your getting close to disproving its existence i can just make up a brand new property that you have to disprove. also the problem atheists have with religion is that you NEVERsee a atheist burning down a hospital because the doctors performing abortions are "killing innocent babys". because just imagine how awesome it would be to just let scientists do their thing without people shoving their "morality" in the way of scientific achievement. because here is a question, did religion provide us with electricity,tvs,the internet, legit health care, and cars? NO! those modern conveniences come from people who think with their brains not their hearts.

What you see on the new are not every day "religious people", they are extremest. Not all Muslims hate America and wanted to contribute to 9/11 attacks, Yes, the people you hijacked the plains where Muslim, but they where extremist, not all people are like that. That's like saying all black people are just like stereotypical black people, it simply not true.
fergie1
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:29:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:08:15 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:03:49 PM, fergie1 wrote:
"The irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end. The plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live. The hour is getting very late to be able to indulge in having in key decisions made by religious people. By irrationalists, by those who would steer the ship of state not by a compass, but by the equivalent of reading the entrails of a chicken. George Bush prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn a lot about it. Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith, and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas. And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting things dead wrong. This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you actually comes at a terrible price. If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you'd resign in protest. To do otherwise is to be an enabler, a mafia wife, for the true devils of extremism that draw their legitimacy from the billions of their fellow travelers. If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it. That's it. Grow up or die." -Bill Maher

See this is exactly what I'm talking about, your just pointing out stupid people, who just happen to be religious. I can point out stupid atheist, but it wouldn't make any difference. Have you ever heard of West Baptist Church? Completely ignorant and stupid, they represent "faithful people", but not all "faithful people" are like that....

Of course I have heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. Explain in detail how they do not represent Christianity. And even if you give me a good argument that they do not, you yourself are being a bad Christian as we speak. You are judging people who believe differently than you do. If that still doesn't work, I have a list of the evils that religion has brought. I genuinely and sincerely believe that the price outweighs the payout.

"Religion does no harm"

The crusades
Spanish inquisition
9/11
Arranged marriages to minors
Blowing up girls schools
Oppression of women and homosexuals
Fatwas
Ethnic cleansing
Honor rape
Human sacrifice
Burning witches
suicide bombings
Condoning slavery
Systematically having sex with children
kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:32:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:13:25 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:07:45 PM, kohai wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:01:12 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:00:07 PM, kohai wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!! Epic fail.

LOL epic fail, at least read the bible before you try to disprove it "kid"

LOL! I read the bible. I am an apostate of Christianity. EPIC FAIL!

Have you looked at more than one view on the matter and other religious beliefs, because your ignorance show otherwise, and you are only helping to "prove" your stereotype.

Yes. I use to be a Christian missionary/apologist.
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:32:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The onus is not on someone to disprove every religious claim before they can genuinely call themselves an atheist. You're equivocating weak and strong atheism. Most atheists I've met are weak atheists, meaning they have yet to be shown convincing evidence as to the validity of any religion. Then there are strong atheists who positively disbelieve in god. You might want to direct this more at strong atheists, though the same could be said of a "strong" Catholic or a "strong" Jew since they are positively claiming all other religions or lack thereof to be false. Has anyone ever possessed the time needed to search through every single religion practiced to be able to positively state which is correct? Not to mention those religions that don't rely on physical or logical evidence i.e. revelation and/or faith. The OP is nonsensical.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:36:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?


I return your OWN question to YOU.

"My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths."

What is your reason for not practicing the faith of Islamic jihadist martyrdom?.......kid.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:44:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Of course I have heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. Explain in detail how they do not represent Christianity. And even if you give me a good argument that they do not, you yourself are being a bad Christian as we speak.

1. I'm not a Christian
2. There are different sect of catholosism, they all teach the same basic principles, but each are slightly different.

You are judging people who believe differently than you do. If that still doesn't work, I have a list of the evils that religion has brought. I genuinely and sincerely believe that the price outweighs the payout.

"Religion does no harm"

The crusades -- Pope's decision, it was political, not religious
Spanish inquisition -- Political, to ward off another Islamic conquest
9/11 -- extremist
Arranged marriages to minors -- societal, not religious
Blowing up girls schools -- extremist
Oppression of women and homosexuals -- societal
Fatwas
Ethnic cleansing -- societal
Honor rape -- societal/extremist
Human sacrifice -- I never said those type of religious where true, why do you think its not a very widely accepted practice?
Burning witches -- societal/political/part extremist
suicide bombings -- extremist
Condoning slavery -- political
Systematically having sex with children -- stereotypical, not a good representation/extremist

Most of these are political or social issues, not religious
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:47:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:36:11 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?


I return your OWN question to YOU.

"My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths."

What is your reason for not practicing the faith of Islamic jihadist martyrdom?.......kid.

I believe that the jihad and crusades hat nothing to do with religion, an it was a political opportunity, I believe that this is not true religion, and to an extent a little extremist.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:51:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just because you are American, does not mean you agree with everything the government is doing, same applies to religion...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:06:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 8:51:08 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Hi Mikeee.

My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths.
OK, lets have a look at your list...

Judaism
Don't believe in the Jewish God. I also like bacon.

Christianity
Don't believe in the Christian God. I know quite a bit about Christianity and though I've never sat down and read the Bible, I've read quite a bit of it's scripture, but the positive stuff and the negative stuff. I reject it as mostly useless, archaic rubbish mixed with common sense 'morality'.

Islam
Don't believe in the Islamic God. I also know quite a bit about Islam. I like drinking, smoking pot, having casual sex, bikini's on women and ham, cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches. Pretty much excludes me...

Zoroastrianism
Totally had to check the Wikipedia page on this one; I knew the name but didn't know what these people believed. I remember FREEDO going on about a documentary series about this particular religion a few months ago. Upon checking the Wikipedia page, I see talk of prophets and 'deities', both of which I reject as lies, fiction and tools of manipulation.

Buddhism
I like Buddhism and if I feel a void in my life needed to be filled with religion, I'd probably first turn to the teachings of Buddha. He was clearly way ahead of his time. Having said that, I still can't see myself practising it any time soon.

Hinduism
Meh. More deities. Quite a peaceful religion though... I have no problem with it.

Confucianism
Taoism
Manichaeism
Bah, I reject all these religions for the same reason. I don't feel a need to follow some ancient prophet (or whatever) and what he thought about the world and the meaning of life. I have my own mind, I can make my own observations and decisions, so I don't feel I need these philosophies. If someone made Carlinism, after the late, great George Carlin, I'd be interested.

Basic Monotheism religions
Basic Polytheism religions
If it deals with a God, well... I don't believe in Gods or deities or magic men in the sky, so anything they supposedly have to say on the subject of what I should and shouldn't do is asinine.

Basic Animism religions
I like animals, often more than I like people. I don't think they need to be worshiped though. Unless they're really, really cute.

Satanic Worship
There are lots of different types of Satanism. I read and still have a copy of the Satanic bible. I found it highly amusing. Do people who serious practise not read the foreword, where he essentially said "This book is rubbish and I just wanted to annoy Christians."
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:09:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:47:11 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:36:11 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?


I return your OWN question to YOU.

"My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths."

What is your reason for not practicing the faith of Islamic jihadist martyrdom?.......kid.

I believe that the jihad and crusades hat nothing to do with religion, an it was a political opportunity, I believe that this is not true religion, and to an extent a little extremist.

Sounds like a dodge to me. You can just dismiss anything you don't like by your OWN arbitrary claim that that isn't a true religion. I'm not having any of that......kid.

Doesn't sound like your have a GOOD reason for not practicing islamic jihadist martyrdom.

But wait weren't you the one who was calling out all atheists for not having a good reason to practice various faiths ?

Golly Mike, what a pickle you have gotten yourself into, how will you ever get out of this one.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
fergie1
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:17:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:44:17 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Of course I have heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. Explain in detail how they do not represent Christianity. And even if you give me a good argument that they do not, you yourself are being a bad Christian as we speak.

1. I'm not a Christian
2. There are different sect of catholosism, they all teach the same basic principles, but each are slightly different.

You are judging people who believe differently than you do. If that still doesn't work, I have a list of the evils that religion has brought. I genuinely and sincerely believe that the price outweighs the payout.

"Religion does no harm"

The crusades -- Pope's decision, it was political, not religious
Spanish inquisition -- Political, to ward off another Islamic conquest
9/11 -- extremist
Arranged marriages to minors -- societal, not religious
Blowing up girls schools -- extremist
Oppression of women and homosexuals -- societal
Fatwas
Ethnic cleansing -- societal
Honor rape -- societal/extremist
Human sacrifice -- I never said those type of religious where true, why do you think its not a very widely accepted practice?
Burning witches -- societal/political/part extremist
suicide bombings -- extremist
Condoning slavery -- political
Systematically having sex with children -- stereotypical, not a good representation/extremist

Most of these are political or social issues, not religious

The Crusades were indeed blessed by the Pope as well as the rest of the Catholic church. The goal was to restore Christian control to Jerusalem.

The Spanish Inquisition was started by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella and it was intended to maintain Catholic Orthodoxy in their kingdoms. They killed and tortured millions of Christians, Jews (they had always had a shtick with the Jews, They even funded Columbus's journey with the money the pillaged from them), homosexuals, etc.

9/11 happened because of our relationship with Israel and our treatment of Muslim countries such as drilling on their holy land. Extremist, yes. The cause was religion nonetheless.

Many religions have arranged marriages. But I will just use one example. In Hinduism, arranged marriage rose from the historical Vedic religion, which eventually turned into classic Hinduism.

Same thing with 9/11. Blowing up girls schools is obviously extremist. But extremism is not an excuse for the underlying cause of said extremism.

You have got to be kidding me. You are really arguing that the bible and other religious documents do not speak out against homosexuals and do not contain sexism?

Honor rape, again with the extremism..

Ethnic cleansing is a policy designed by one religious group to remove by violent and terror inspiring means the civilian population of another ethnic or religious group from certain geographic areas.

Condoning slavery- http://en.wikipedia.org...

"I never said those type of religious where true, why do you think its not a very widely accepted practice?" You have got to be kidding me. In the bible it says that God came down to Issac and told him to sacrifice his only son whom he loved so much on top of the mountains. Not wanting to piss off his god, he did so. He took his son atop the mountains and just when he was about to do it, God came down and said NOOOO!!! And it turned out to be a practical joke. He was willing to kill his own son for his God, and his God wanted the comfort of knowing that he would. There are many examples of this in other religions.

For burning witches, again, you have got to be kidding me.

http://articles.cnn.com...

Many instances of this^

You should really do your research BEFORE you make claims like these.

And as for assuming that you are a Christian, I do apologize, That was on my part.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:19:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 10:09:58 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:47:11 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:36:11 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:15:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:11:09 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:06:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh Puh-lease.....

Give me one good reason you shouldn't practice the faith of the meta-physics of Islamic jihadist martyrdom. Kill infidel, get heaven + virgins.

Can you prove this claim false ? Can you prove a paradise/heaven doesn't exist ? Can you prove that there aren't virgins in this heaven ? Can you prove that killing infidels won't get you this paradise with virgins ?


I return your OWN question to YOU.

"My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths."

What is your reason for not practicing the faith of Islamic jihadist martyrdom?.......kid.

I believe that the jihad and crusades hat nothing to do with religion, an it was a political opportunity, I believe that this is not true religion, and to an extent a little extremist.

Sounds like a dodge to me. You can just dismiss anything you don't like by your OWN arbitrary claim that that isn't a true religion. I'm not having any of that......kid.

Doesn't sound like your have a GOOD reason for not practicing islamic jihadist martyrdom.

But wait weren't you the one who was calling out all atheists for not having a good reason to practice various faiths ?

Golly Mike, what a pickle you have gotten yourself into, how will you ever get out of this one.

There are reasons for NOT practicing something, and there are reasons FOR practicing something

I am not saying atheism is wrong, I am just saying that some people, believe or accept it for the wrong reasons.

If I religion tells me to kill people, but I am a pacifist, then why would I believe in that religion. Like the world and history, religion does not develop in isolation, atheism is the exception to the rule. Even satin worship and Buddhism have similarities, very, very, very, few, none the less some. Atheism has nothing to do with any other religion other then the fact that is agents everything all religion says. Its hard to be both Catholic and a worshiper of Satin, they contradict, therefore, you can only choice one or the other (or parts of both, assuming they don't contradict). There are contradictions in Toasim, Buddhism, and Islam, yet I practice parts of all three, I disregard some aspects of each, but I take beliefs from all of them into my religious practice/belief. Have I answered your question, because it seems like you are unwilling to answer mine.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:24:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 8:51:08 PM, Mikeee wrote:

These "kids" cannot come up with any justification for being an atheist other than, because they do not know enough, or using any "main stream" ideas.

My challenge for you "kids" and other atheist, is to come up with GOOD REASONS for not wanting to practice these following faiths.

Judaism
Christianity
Islam

Well mostly because these three are simply wrong - the Juedo-Christian God certainly does not exist as explained by the Bible or Quran. The Abrahamic faiths are tribal religions. Christianity, as their offshoot, carries no more validity, and is a great deal less compelling for it's plagiarism of contemporary mythology and Jewish texts.

Zoroastrianism

Pretty standard good vs. evil mythology. No real need to believe it to do good deeds.

Buddhism
Hinduism
Confucianism
Taoism
Manichaeism

Mostly the same - don't need to believe in the elaborate cosmology/mythology in order to be good. In short - there is no evidence for their substantive or conceptual claims, and their moral claims don't hinge on religious belief...

Basic Monotheism religions
Basic Polytheism religions
Basic Animism religions

Now you're desperate - casting a wide net. Why believe in any God? No evidence, no reason to believe.

Satanic Worship

Mostly because it's no more plausible than belief in God... and some of the moral structures are a little too hedonistic for my taste.

One thing that would be mentioned; you should look at what I meant to be taught, not what is actual. To clarify, do not be so anal about strict church rules, doctrines, and other aspects of organized religion. Focus on the main ideas, do not think that you should not be, let's say christian for example, because the pope deems people of my lifestyle to hell. Do not be super analytical either, because unless you read the original, untranslated version, such as the Qur'an, there are going to be some stuff that doesn't make sense in English, but is easily understandable in the original langue. I hope you "kids" can look at some new religious ideas, and turn to one that is right for you, or at least now be able to justify (well) being an atheist

By this, I assume you mean not to get caught up on bizarre beliefs like, say, transubstantiation, and just have a hippie outlook on religion. Cafeteria Christians, so to speak... Sounds like a great plan - let's apply it to moral beliefs.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:28:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 10:17:58 PM, fergie1 wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:44:17 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Of course I have heard of the Westboro Baptist Church. Explain in detail how they do not represent Christianity. And even if you give me a good argument that they do not, you yourself are being a bad Christian as we speak.

1. I'm not a Christian
2. There are different sect of catholosism, they all teach the same basic principles, but each are slightly different.

You are judging people who believe differently than you do. If that still doesn't work, I have a list of the evils that religion has brought. I genuinely and sincerely believe that the price outweighs the payout.

"Religion does no harm"

The crusades -- Pope's decision, it was political, not religious
Spanish inquisition -- Political, to ward off another Islamic conquest
9/11 -- extremist
Arranged marriages to minors -- societal, not religious
Blowing up girls schools -- extremist
Oppression of women and homosexuals -- societal
Fatwas
Ethnic cleansing -- societal
Honor rape -- societal/extremist
Human sacrifice -- I never said those type of religious where true, why do you think its not a very widely accepted practice?
Burning witches -- societal/political/part extremist
suicide bombings -- extremist
Condoning slavery -- political
Systematically having sex with children -- stereotypical, not a good representation/extremist

Most of these are political or social issues, not religious

The Crusades were indeed blessed by the Pope as well as the rest of the Catholic church. The goal was to restore Christian control to Jerusalem.

The Spanish Inquisition was started by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella and it was intended to maintain Catholic Orthodoxy in their kingdoms. They killed and tortured millions of Christians, Jews (they had always had a shtick with the Jews, They even funded Columbus's journey with the money the pillaged from them), homosexuals, etc.

9/11 happened because of our relationship with Israel and our treatment of Muslim countries such as drilling on their holy land. Extremist, yes. The cause was religion nonetheless.

Many religions have arranged marriages. But I will just use one example. In Hinduism, arranged marriage rose from the historical Vedic religion, which eventually turned into classic Hinduism.

Same thing with 9/11. Blowing up girls schools is obviously extremist. But extremism is not an excuse for the underlying cause of said extremism.

You have got to be kidding me. You are really arguing that the bible and other religious documents do not speak out against homosexuals and do not contain sexism?

Honor rape, again with the extremism..

Ethnic cleansing is a policy designed by one religious group to remove by violent and terror inspiring means the civilian population of another ethnic or religious group from certain geographic areas.

Condoning slavery- http://en.wikipedia.org...

"I never said those type of religious where true, why do you think its not a very widely accepted practice?" You have got to be kidding me. In the bible it says that God came down to Issac and told him to sacrifice his only son whom he loved so much on top of the mountains. Not wanting to piss off his god, he did so. He took his son atop the mountains and just when he was about to do it, God came down and said NOOOO!!! And it turned out to be a practical joke. He was willing to kill his own son for his God, and his God wanted the comfort of knowing that he would. There are many examples of this in other religions.

For burning witches, again, you have got to be kidding me.

http://articles.cnn.com...

Many instances of this^

You should really do your research BEFORE you make claims like these.

And as for assuming that you are a Christian, I do apologize, That was on my part.

You are still wrong. I Church was the only power during that time, therefore it was political. Not all Catholics believe the pope is holy or other beliefs about the pope. Just because the pope said it, doesn't necessarily make it okay. The "church" has been wrong before...

You are really being stereotypical here, not all people of the same religion are the same, practice the same way, and have the same morals. I believe in faith, but I do not believe in organized religion, so I really don't have a cause to want to back these up, Yes, some of these acts where wrong, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a part of the faith and that they are practiced more than just these few people.

At first Hinduism was a tool used to keep social order, again I do not agree on much with organized religion. Nobody tells me what my "faith" is, that I what I decide for myself. Yes, all these things where bad, they just happened to be supported by people who happens to be religious.