Total Posts:143|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To the atheists of DDO

nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 12:46:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It may not make a difference to anyone now that a lot of the older members have gone and there are a lot of new members who are unfamiliar with me. But I used to be very vocal in the Religion form and poorly disguised my contempt for religion, while regularly comparing belief in religion/God to mental illness. Some of you may have noticed that I have been avoiding the religion forum (if we were in the middle of a discussion and I just suddenly stopped posting).

So I wanted to announce to the atheists of DDO that I chose to go to church this morning. I won't go into details about my personal life, but I'm actually trying to reconcile what I believe intellectually with a possible belief in God. I don't think I could ever be a Christian or follow any religion dogmatically, but I'm now open to some other things.

I'll be honest, I have lost a little intellectual respect for myself. But we'll see how this goes. I'm currently an atheist. But I know how easily the mind can be tricked...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 12:50:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well--whatever you end up believing, I hope it suits you.

I know I've had enough Catholic church to come to my decision.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 12:59:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is better to be open minded towards these things that completely closed off.

If you still find it isn't for you after a serious and humble search for truth, it will only enhance your faith.

Along the way, you are guaranteed to get new insights on things. You might find yourself converting, but to be completely honest... There are very few religions out there that are going to appeal entirely to the intellect. If that is your method of evaluating, you will still find things to learn, but you probably won't end up becoming a convert.

Good luck though.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:09:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's better to have a healthy combination of being skeptical, but still being open to new possibilities and changes of faith or attitudes, in my opinion.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:33:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Your desire for God ought not to have any bearing on how you or others respect your intellect. Atheism is not automatically a superior intellectual position, or rather it is that individual atheists do not always have a superior intellectual case for their position. If you can find some plausibility in a religion, and if you make a moderate rational (or I guess slightly irrational) leap of faith then do so.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:34:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 12:59:06 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is better to be open minded towards these things that completely closed off.

If you still find it isn't for you after a serious and humble search for truth, it will only enhance your faith.

Along the way, you are guaranteed to get new insights on things. You might find yourself converting, but to be completely honest... There are very few religions out there that are going to appeal entirely to the intellect. If that is your method of evaluating, you will still find things to learn, but you probably won't end up becoming a convert.

Good luck though.

Now that you mention it:

What are some religions what appeal to intellect?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 12:46:03 PM, nonentity wrote:
It may not make a difference to anyone now that a lot of the older members have gone and there are a lot of new members who are unfamiliar with me. But I used to be very vocal in the Religion form and poorly disguised my contempt for religion, while regularly comparing belief in religion/God to mental illness. Some of you may have noticed that I have been avoiding the religion forum (if we were in the middle of a discussion and I just suddenly stopped posting).

So I wanted to announce to the atheists of DDO that I chose to go to church this morning. I won't go into details about my personal life, but I'm actually trying to reconcile what I believe intellectually with a possible belief in God. I don't think I could ever be a Christian or follow any religion dogmatically, but I'm now open to some other things.
I'll be honest, I have lost a little intellectual respect for myself. But we'll see how this goes. I'm currently an atheist. But I know how easily the mind can be tricked...

May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:55:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:34:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 10/16/2011 12:59:06 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is better to be open minded towards these things that completely closed off.

If you still find it isn't for you after a serious and humble search for truth, it will only enhance your faith.

Along the way, you are guaranteed to get new insights on things. You might find yourself converting, but to be completely honest... There are very few religions out there that are going to appeal entirely to the intellect. If that is your method of evaluating, you will still find things to learn, but you probably won't end up becoming a convert.

Good luck though.

Now that you mention it:

What are some religions what appeal to intellect?

Buddhism, as long as you avoid druggies and soccer moms. In my experience, most Buddhists don't get it, but Buddha was a very scientific thinker.

The Tao Te Ching is a very interesting philosophical work. First time I read it, I instantly considered myself a Taoist, and still could consider myself one.

Discordianism is probably only going to make sense to people who are familiar with the former two and/or physics.

None of these when properly practiced are religions in the western sense, however. When turned into organized religions, they completely lose their meaning and usefulness. The Tao Te Ching, for example, is the type of work that once understood never really has to be read again. The teachings of Buddha are very similar.

But you are going to find goodies in just about every religious text. They only become dangerous when you take everything being written down as absolute truth.

From the bible, Ecclesiastes is pretty good, and it probably is one of the first recorded grapples that someone has ever had with the absurd. Proverbs has a lot of good advice, though there are parts of it that didn't really age well.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:58:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How was church? You didn't say whether or not you enjoyed yourself. Church isn't for everyone haha
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:59:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 12:46:03 PM, nonentity wrote:
It may not make a difference to anyone now that a lot of the older members have gone and there are a lot of new members who are unfamiliar with me. But I used to be very vocal in the Religion form and poorly disguised my contempt for religion, while regularly comparing belief in religion/God to mental illness. Some of you may have noticed that I have been avoiding the religion forum (if we were in the middle of a discussion and I just suddenly stopped posting).

So I wanted to announce to the atheists of DDO that I chose to go to church this morning. I won't go into details about my personal life, but I'm actually trying to reconcile what I believe intellectually with a possible belief in God. I don't think I could ever be a Christian or follow any religion dogmatically, but I'm now open to some other things.

I'll be honest, I have lost a little intellectual respect for myself. But we'll see how this goes. I'm currently an atheist. But I know how easily the mind can be tricked...

Would you mind if I ask what has caused the reduction of your intellectual respect for yourself?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:00:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 12:46:03 PM, nonentity wrote:
It may not make a difference to anyone now that a lot of the older members have gone and there are a lot of new members who are unfamiliar with me. But I used to be very vocal in the Religion form and poorly disguised my contempt for religion, while regularly comparing belief in religion/God to mental illness. Some of you may have noticed that I have been avoiding the religion forum (if we were in the middle of a discussion and I just suddenly stopped posting).

So I wanted to announce to the atheists of DDO that I chose to go to church this morning. I won't go into details about my personal life, but I'm actually trying to reconcile what I believe intellectually with a possible belief in God. I don't think I could ever be a Christian or follow any religion dogmatically, but I'm now open to some other things.

I'll be honest, I have lost a little intellectual respect for myself. But we'll see how this goes. I'm currently an atheist. But I know how easily the mind can be tricked...

Nietzche made the point that, in the end, the "search for truth" is no more legitimate a pursuit than the "search for happiness" in the human mind, and in fact humans tend to go for the latter.

Hopefully, you can make due balancing the two out.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:13:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:33:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Your desire for God ought not to have any bearing on how you or others respect your intellect. Atheism is not automatically a superior intellectual position, or rather it is that individual atheists do not always have a superior intellectual case for their position. If you can find some plausibility in a religion, and if you make a moderate rational (or I guess slightly irrational) leap of faith then do so.

Mostly this.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:15:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke.

I've seen you make some ridiculous statements. But that is the thing, what is absurd to me may be the "truth" to you. And you probably believe most of what you say. And
I'm sure you feel the same about what I believe.

To me, being intellectual does not automatically mean being honest with your self. People can lie to themselves from either side of the Cross.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:15:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?

Don't worry about it, though you bring jelly you also have a spine. He doesn't and he resents it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:25:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 2:15:23 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke.

I've seen you make some ridiculous statements. But that is the thing, what is absurd to me may be the "truth" to you. And you probably believe most of what you say. And
I'm sure you feel the same about what I believe.

To me, being intellectual does not automatically mean being honest with your self. People can lie to themselves from either side of the Cross.

Sounds like you took my statement a little bit more personal than you needed to.

When I am speaking of being "intellectual", I am speaking of rational thought, which would be oppose to emotional thought, wishful thinking, etc.

Anything less than that is not honesty.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 2:34:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No, don't board the crazy train!

I'm kidding, it's your life. Believe what seems most reasonable to you (if you even have a choice about that): no-one has the right to stop you. People and the beliefs they hold evolve and change over time, sometimes radically, as they learn and experience new things. If you want to add a religious element to your life, why not? Just make sure its really what you want.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 3:24:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I will tell you that i had needs, a sort of thirst that wasn't being met by my intellectual and other more prurient pursuits. I attended probably 15-20 different sorts of churches, temples, denominations, and i even went to a Krishna gathering once. All of them had something (except the UU's, that was just a waste of my time) worth taking.

I believe it to be a more natural way of living, to believe in some sort of a higher power, but that is just opinion, and probably a bit egocentric at that.

I can't imagine anyone thinking less of you, except maybe Izbo.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 3:29:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 2:25:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:15:23 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke.

I've seen you make some ridiculous statements. But that is the thing, what is absurd to me may be the "truth" to you. And you probably believe most of what you say. And
I'm sure you feel the same about what I believe.

To me, being intellectual does not automatically mean being honest with your self. People can lie to themselves from either side of the Cross.

Sounds like you took my statement a little bit more personal than you needed to.

Sorry, I never know when you are being serious.


When I am speaking of being "intellectual", I am speaking of rational thought, which
would be oppose to emotional thought, wishful thinking, etc.)
Do you really believe "rational" thought is always rational? Do you honestly believe emotions never influence the "rational" thought process? Is it impossible for an emotional beginning to influence the "rational" process?
Anything less than that is not honesty.

In the end i could never know for sure if your rational thought is totally honest, one you can know that. And the same foe for the judgment you may or not past on others.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 5:12:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:58:56 PM, MarquisX wrote:
How was church? You didn't say whether or not you enjoyed yourself. Church isn't for everyone haha

Eh... Well, the pastor is a long time family friend. And I personally think he's an amazing man. I have a lot of respect for him. The people are extremely friendly (it's a smaller church) and all know my parents, while some of them remembered me.

But it made me uncomfortable. Two families dedicated their newborn babies and at one point the entire church was asked to signify whether they accept the shared responsibility of bringing them up in the Christian way by standing. I didn't want to stand but everyone else stood, so I did. Also, normally when people pray I don't do anything different (ie. close my eyes or bow my head) but today I felt that I had to because I chose to be there. I didn't like the idea of me conforming to things I don't believe in.

But I'll probably keep going for a while.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 5:19:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 1:59:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Would you mind if I ask what has caused the reduction of your intellectual respect for yourself?

Yikes. I realize now, without an explanation, how condescending that sounds.

Basically, what prompted me to give this a chance was I was kind of hitting bottom in an aspect of my life, and I "prayed" for things to get better. And I swore to myself that if it did, I would give belief in God a chance. Then like a light switch, things turned around and now I feel that I have to keep to my word.

The reason I say I lost a little intellectual respect for myself is that (intellectually) I know that things might have turned around whether I had asked God for them to or not. I know that the fact that I wanted it to happen so badly probably prompted me to work a lot harder for it to happen, and it may not have to do with God at all.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 5:20:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 2:00:31 PM, Wnope wrote:

Nietzche made the point that, in the end, the "search for truth" is no more legitimate a pursuit than the "search for happiness" in the human mind, and in fact humans tend to go for the latter.

Hopefully, you can make due balancing the two out.

Great point. Thanks.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 5:21:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 3:24:57 PM, innomen wrote:
I will tell you that i had needs, a sort of thirst that wasn't being met by my intellectual and other more prurient pursuits. I attended probably 15-20 different sorts of churches, temples, denominations, and i even went to a Krishna gathering once. All of them had something (except the UU's, that was just a waste of my time) worth taking.

I believe it to be a more natural way of living, to believe in some sort of a higher power, but that is just opinion, and probably a bit egocentric at that.

I can't imagine anyone thinking less of you, except maybe Izbo.

I think... I'll be okay. LOL
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 6:01:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 3:29:23 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:25:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:15:23 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 2:02:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:52 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:56:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:54:00 PM, jharry wrote:
May I ask why you place intellect so high in your life? I'm curious.

For me, it's a personal matter of honesty. Anything else is less than honest.

Lol, that's a good one.

Why do you mock me? What is so ridiculous about my statement?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke.

I've seen you make some ridiculous statements. But that is the thing, what is absurd to me may be the "truth" to you. And you probably believe most of what you say. And
I'm sure you feel the same about what I believe.

To me, being intellectual does not automatically mean being honest with your self. People can lie to themselves from either side of the Cross.

Sounds like you took my statement a little bit more personal than you needed to.

Sorry, I never know when you are being serious.







When I am speaking of being "intellectual", I am speaking of rational thought, which
would be oppose to emotional thought, wishful thinking, etc.)
Do you really believe "rational" thought is always rational? Do you honestly believe emotions never influence the "rational" thought process? Is it impossible for an emotional beginning to influence the "rational" process?
Anything less than that is not honesty.

In the end i could never know for sure if your rational thought is totally honest, one you can know that. And the same foe for the judgment you may or not past on others.

Uggggh..... *facepalm*
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 6:03:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Jharry, you are putting waaaaay too much baggage on the things I say.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 6:29:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 5:19:29 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Would you mind if I ask what has caused the reduction of your intellectual respect for yourself?

Yikes. I realize now, without an explanation, how condescending that sounds.

Basically, what prompted me to give this a chance was I was kind of hitting bottom in an aspect of my life, and I "prayed" for things to get better. And I swore to myself that if it did, I would give belief in God a chance. Then like a light switch, things turned around and now I feel that I have to keep to my word.

The reason I say I lost a little intellectual respect for myself is that (intellectually) I know that things might have turned around whether I had asked God for them to or not. I know that the fact that I wanted it to happen so badly probably prompted me to work a lot harder for it to happen, and it may not have to do with God at all.

Sounds like me. I did not understand the why's or how's to pray at first. I just did it. God kept answering my prayers.
Keep praying. You will be stunned how many times God will answer.

I am glad you have a family friend that is a pastor. It will aid you as you start to experience God doing things in your life.

The more you listen for Him the more clear He will become. Do you mind if I pray for you as well?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:11:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 5:19:29 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 10/16/2011 1:59:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Would you mind if I ask what has caused the reduction of your intellectual respect for yourself?

Yikes. I realize now, without an explanation, how condescending that sounds.

Basically, what prompted me to give this a chance was I was kind of hitting bottom in an aspect of my life, and I "prayed" for things to get better. And I swore to myself that if it did, I would give belief in God a chance. Then like a light switch, things turned around and now I feel that I have to keep to my word.

The reason I say I lost a little intellectual respect for myself is that (intellectually) I know that things might have turned around whether I had asked God for them to or not. I know that the fact that I wanted it to happen so badly probably prompted me to work a lot harder for it to happen, and it may not have to do with God at all.

I was about to say, your smart enough to know about confirmation bias, correlation isn't causation etc etc which is shown in your second paragraph.

What you just did could be used to justify any and all religions. What about the person who turns to islam, something good happens, then all muslims will pounce on that, see , see , Allah is working in your life. Ergo for Christians, baptists, Scientologists, etc etc.

Take heart, it has been said humans are pattern seeking, we can't help ourselves in trying to establish such connections. This kind of thinking has been useful in helping us such as shaking a tree causes the fruit to drop. But this kind of thinking also can result in, you know we were having bad crop harvests, we then push the virgin into the volcano as a sacrifice to a God, now we have good crops........hmmmm might be something going on here eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12