Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

The Atheist "God"

Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 7:43:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Isn't this the topic of your previous thread, "WTF Atheism?"
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 8:47:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
God = actuality

Even atheists acknowledge this, even though some refuse to use this term as they feel it is misleading.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 10:07:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

1: The onus is on the theist to establish evidence of a deity. Atheism is the default position until then.

2: The definition of God is something with the omni-characteristics, such an entity is a logical impossibility.

3: This leads me to consider the possibility of a God-like being somewhere in the universe, however as it appears absolutely indifferent or ignorant of mankind and as it's properties are unknown can I even call it a God and can even move forward in my life with any sort of sensible belief in it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 10:46:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

Your point?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 11:02:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 8:47:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God = actuality

Even atheists acknowledge this, even though some refuse to use this term as they feel it is misleading.

It is not simply misleading but utterly meaningless.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 11:06:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 11:02:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/16/2011 8:47:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God = actuality

Even atheists acknowledge this, even though some refuse to use this term as they feel it is misleading.

It is not simply misleading but utterly meaningless.

Clearly it has meaning, constable fish'n'chips.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 11:09:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 11:06:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 11:02:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/16/2011 8:47:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God = actuality

Even atheists acknowledge this, even though some refuse to use this term as they feel it is misleading.

It is not simply misleading but utterly meaningless.

Clearly it has meaning, constable fish'n'chips.

The Prussian Consulate will soon be pertubed by the steady lashings in his vinegar cellar!

But seriously, God = personal creator of the universe. You can't just replace that with the non-sentient universe. Well it was good enough for Einstein, but fvck him what did he know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 11:26:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 11:09:24 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/16/2011 11:06:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 10/16/2011 11:02:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/16/2011 8:47:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God = actuality

Even atheists acknowledge this, even though some refuse to use this term as they feel it is misleading.

It is not simply misleading but utterly meaningless.

Clearly it has meaning, constable fish'n'chips.

The Prussian Consulate will soon be pertubed by the steady lashings in his vinegar cellar!

But seriously, God = personal creator of the universe. You can't just replace that with the non-sentient universe. Well it was good enough for Einstein, but fvck him what did he know.

While the universe doesn't appear to be sentient, whether or not it is sentient is not exactly within the realms of our knowing.

Not all definitions of God have it as the personal creator of the universe. Just the stupid ones.

The universe is all of existence... If you created all of existence, you are outside of existence and do not exist.

The idea of this type of God is patently ridiculous, and it comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of both theology and terminology.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:35:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
To atheist:

Is there a difference between someone who denies all of religions and someone who only denies the Christian "God", but does not acknowledged other aspects of religion, and religion that have no "god" such as non-animistic Hinduism and Buddhism?

Weather some people like to believe it or not, atheist at least have some points (valid or not) on the Christian "God", but what about the others?

No, there is more to other religions than "fairy tales" and concepts that defy all logic, there are valid points to consider...
googlemabob
Posts: 16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 9:22:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:35:16 PM, Mikeee wrote:
To atheist:

Is there a difference between someone who denies all of religions and someone who only denies the Christian "God", but does not acknowledged other aspects of religion, and religion that have no "god" such as non-animistic Hinduism and Buddhism?

Obviously there is a difference between someone who denies only the Judeo-Christian God and someone who denies all religion, even non-theistic ones. However, the term atheist can still be used for both, as it means "not believing in a god". I for one am Buddhist, but I am still an atheist because I believe there is no one supreme entity.


No, there is more to other religions than "fairy tales" and concepts that defy all logic, there are valid points to consider...

You make an important point that some atheists need to consider, that there really is more to some religions that just mythology, however you yourself seem to be implying that ALL atheists reject ALL religion, which is obviously not true considering what I have just said about myself. You make a good point though, there are valid and logical things in many religions. In Buddhism specifically, the systematic method of self-examining meditation has actually been proven by psychologists to have beneficial effects, and is used as a form of therapy for some mental illnesses.
Diagoras
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 1:48:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

That's because those are the most rapent of disease beliefs. Believe us, we know they're all fake, but we deal with the most popular fakes first.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 2:15:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/18/2011 1:48:43 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

That's because those are the most rapent of disease beliefs. Believe us, we know they're all fake, but we deal with the most popular fakes first.

Is it's so obvious prove right now that paganism and polytheism are wrong ("fake religions".
Diagoras
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 2:17:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/18/2011 2:15:31 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/18/2011 1:48:43 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

That's because those are the most rapent of disease beliefs. Believe us, we know they're all fake, but we deal with the most popular fakes first.

Is it's so obvious prove right now that paganism and polytheism are wrong ("fake religions".

To show that they have no logical or scientifical backing, completely. But the reason they are put aside is because for now, they are small fry.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 2:32:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/18/2011 2:17:37 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/18/2011 2:15:31 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/18/2011 1:48:43 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

That's because those are the most rapent of disease beliefs. Believe us, we know they're all fake, but we deal with the most popular fakes first.

Is it's so obvious prove right now that paganism and polytheism are wrong ("fake religions".


To show that they have no logical or scientifical backing, completely. But the reason they are put aside is because for now, they are small fry.

The only difference between Greek Polytheism and Catholics, basically, is the fact that there is one god, who is superior to all, and that God is good, opposed to evil or unconcerning of humanity.
Diagoras
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 3:03:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/18/2011 2:32:22 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/18/2011 2:17:37 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/18/2011 2:15:31 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/18/2011 1:48:43 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/16/2011 7:22:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Atheist often only refuse or deny the existence of God/Yahweh/Ala, but there are other faiths...

That's because those are the most rapent of disease beliefs. Believe us, we know they're all fake, but we deal with the most popular fakes first.

Is it's so obvious prove right now that paganism and polytheism are wrong ("fake religions".


To show that they have no logical or scientifical backing, completely. But the reason they are put aside is because for now, they are small fry.

The only difference between Greek Polytheism and Catholics, basically, is the fact that there is one god, who is superior to all, and that God is good, opposed to evil or unconcerning of humanity.

What's your point?