Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Did God Give out Bad Laws

kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 6:52:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
(IZBO, NO COMMENTS!)

Ezekiel 20:25
King James Version (KJV)
 25Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;

Does this mean that God gave bad commandments purposefully?

PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.
JE 8:8 The scribes (copyists, editors, teachers) falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Not every word of God can prove true if God deceives anyone at all; teaching from the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. In other words, the first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect, all-powerful and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

Infidels.org
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Bible clearly reflects men who wrote it. We know now, thousands of years later, that lots of the things it teaches are archaic nonsense.

Imagine a God capable of creating the Universe in all it's complexity.
Now imagine that entity created us, in his image, and over X amount of time inspired certain special individuals to write what would eventually become the greatest book ever written.

Is that book the modern Bible? Is it the Quran?

Is it?

I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
kohai
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:43:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The Bible clearly reflects men who wrote it. We know now, thousands of years later, that lots of the things it teaches are archaic nonsense.

Imagine a God capable of creating the Universe in all it's complexity.
Now imagine that entity created us, in his image, and over X amount of time inspired certain special individuals to write what would eventually become the greatest book ever written.

Is that book the modern Bible? Is it the Quran?

Is it?

I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.

+1

Agreed
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:51:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The Bible clearly reflects men who wrote it. We know now, thousands of years later, that lots of the things it teaches are archaic nonsense.

Imagine a God capable of creating the Universe in all it's complexity.
Now imagine that entity created us, in his image, and over X amount of time inspired certain special individuals to write what would eventually become the greatest book ever written.

Is that book the modern Bible? Is it the Quran?

Is it?

I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.

Agreed.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:49:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:


I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

How about now? :P
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:52:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The Bible clearly reflects men who wrote it. We know now, thousands of years later, that lots of the things it teaches are archaic nonsense.

Imagine a God capable of creating the Universe in all it's complexity.
Now imagine that entity created us, in his image, and over X amount of time inspired certain special individuals to write what would eventually become the greatest book ever written.

Is that book the modern Bible? Is it the Quran?

Is it?

I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.

Agreed.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:52:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 6:52:58 PM, kohai wrote:
(IZBO, NO COMMENTS!)

Ezekiel 20:25
King James Version (KJV)
 25Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;

Does this mean that God gave bad commandments purposefully?


PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.
JE 8:8 The scribes (copyists, editors, teachers) falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Not every word of God can prove true if God deceives anyone at all; teaching from the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. In other words, the first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect, all-powerful and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

Infidels.org

Quote mining. Try reading it all first.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 7:54:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/20/2011 7:49:41 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/17/2011 7:42:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:


I'd rather my unborn children learnt their morals from Spongebob Squarepants or Batman than the Bible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

How about now? :P

LOL!
+1 Jharry
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Crede
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 8:35:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 6:52:58 PM, kohai wrote:
(IZBO, NO COMMENTS!)

Ezekiel 20:25
King James Version (KJV)
 25Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;

Does this mean that God gave bad commandments purposefully?


PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.
JE 8:8 The scribes (copyists, editors, teachers) falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Not every word of God can prove true if God deceives anyone at all; teaching from the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. In other words, the first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect, all-powerful and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

Infidels.org

I think Jesus gave us an answer here:
Matthew 19:7-8
7They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?" 8He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

So laws were given because of mans hardness of their hearts and were not what God had desired for them. When Jesus came we were then given the Holy Spirit and our hearts can be given to God and then the desired laws of God could be accomplished.
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 8:36:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No !
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 8:39:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/20/2011 8:35:18 PM, Crede wrote:
At 10/17/2011 6:52:58 PM, kohai wrote:
(IZBO, NO COMMENTS!)

Ezekiel 20:25
King James Version (KJV)
 25Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;

Does this mean that God gave bad commandments purposefully?


PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.
JE 8:8 The scribes (copyists, editors, teachers) falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Not every word of God can prove true if God deceives anyone at all; teaching from the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. In other words, the first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect, all-powerful and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

Infidels.org

I think Jesus gave us an answer here:
Matthew 19:7-8
7They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?" 8He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

So laws were given because of mans hardness of their hearts and were not what God had desired for them. When Jesus came we were then given the Holy Spirit and our hearts can be given to God and then the desired laws of God could be accomplished.

It's even easier then that if you read the first verse he quoted...........in context.

The people of Israel rebelled and chased after other gods. So God gave it to them. And the result? Israel returned to Him when they figured out their actions were destroying them.

Simple a dishonest case of quote mining, that's all this is.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen