Jump to topic:

The Rock Paradox

Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:07:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The rock paradox says, "Can God make a rock too big that even he cannot lift it?" I use to think this argument was invalid until I read a verse in Luke that says, "With God all things are possible." Hence I believe it is a valid argument.

Christians, what are you to do about paradoxes that limits god's ability when it says, "With god, all things are possible."

(this does not prove the non-existence of other God's, just the Christian god).
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:08:18 PM
http://www.debate.org...

Kohai/Mr. Infidel, what do you think of InquireTruth's arguments against the Omnipotence paradox?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
jewgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:12:36 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:07:06 PM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
The rock paradox says, "Can God make a rock too big that even he cannot lift it?" I use to think this argument was invalid until I read a verse in Luke that says, "With God all things are possible." Hence I believe it is a valid argument.

Christians, what are you to do about paradoxes that limits god's ability when it says, "With god, all things are possible."

Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:15:00 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:08:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Kohai/Mr. Infidel, what do you think of InquireTruth's arguments against the Omnipotence paradox?

This was an interesting attempt. Like I said, it all depends on how the theist defines omniscient.

Want to debate the stone paradox?
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:15:11 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:12:36 PM, jewgirl wrote:

You try to argue against the rock paradox...by citing your own debate...which YOU lost...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:18:33 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:15:00 PM, Mr.Infidel wrote:

This was an interesting attempt. Like I said, it all depends on how the theist defines omniscient.

Want to debate the stone paradox?

Sorry, but I'm occupied with other matters--including tests (technology class in particular, which I detest)....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
jewgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:19:09 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:15:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

You try to argue against the rock paradox...by citing your own debate...which YOU lost...

Loseing is not evidence of being wrong.
As was pointed out my opponent had the advantage of going first and last.
I whanted to discuss those points in a forum format for that reason.
So if you are willing, I would like to discuss why you think I am wrong.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:24:55 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:19:09 PM, jewgirl wrote:
At 10/23/2011 6:15:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Loseing is not evidence of being wrong.

But it is one hell of a hint.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 6:54:16 PM
Kohai, should God be able to make green ideas sleep furiously if he's omnipotent?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 7:15:35 PM

(this does not prove the non-existence of other God's, just the Christian god).:

Well, if you say it is a paradox then you admit that it is a seemingly impossible or contradictory proposition, not that it is necessarily so.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 7:32:50 PM
At 10/23/2011 6:54:16 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Kohai, should God be able to make green ideas sleep furiously if he's omnipotent?

/thread
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 7:58:25 PM
The general refutation I've heard is that the argument rests entirely on a God being limited to the laws of logic. Seeing as God is definitionally omnipotent, he is not constrained by such laws.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:02:33 PM
Being omnipotent does not mean that you can do the impossible. This is patently retarded.

If it able to be done, it isn't impossible.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:40:13 PM

I could basically use the ontological argument to refute this. Since the concept of God creating something too heavy for him to lift is not only impossible in theory but also impossible logically it fails to hold up. Essentially, you set up an argument with flawed logic.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:50:28 PM
At 10/23/2011 8:40:13 PM, BennyW wrote:

I could basically use the ontological argument to refute this. Since the concept of God creating something too heavy for him to lift is not only impossible in theory but also impossible logically it fails to hold up. Essentially, you set up an argument with flawed logic.

Is god restricted by the rules of logic or did he create them?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
jewgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 9:24:37 PM

Since god is all powerful, the words, "A stone he can't lift", have no meaning. There can be no such thing; it is like a "square circle" there is no such thing. God cannot create square circles, nor create a stone he can't lift, nor can he check mate with only his king. Bec. Such things are logical impossibilities, and thus make no sense and thus no question has even been proposed.

An alternate approach is even if you say that god cannot create a stone he can't lift. This is not a limitation since it comes from his all powerfulness. There are many things god cannot do such as make a mistake, or improve. This does not show god is not all powerful it's just that there are certain things that only imperfect people can do. And so too is it with the stone.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 9:56:10 AM
An interesting rebuttal I seen is "Yes, God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift; and then lift the rock."

1) Nothing is impossible for God
2) Illogical things are something
3) Lifting a stone so heavy he can't lift it is an illogical thing
4) Therefore, lifting a stone so heavy he can't lift is possible for God
5) Therefore, God can create a stone so heavy he can't lift it, yet still lift it
6) Therefore, the SP fails in its attempt to disprove the existence of an Omnipotent God.

Quite an interesting argument. I believe that this argument works for the paradox.
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:37:54 AM

Huh... what... yes... I mean no... I mean what... AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:43:20 AM

Great way of showing the problem.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:46:24 AM
At 10/24/2011 10:43:20 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Did you understand it or do you need it broken down for you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:05:56 AM

I don't get it.
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:09:13 AM
At 10/24/2011 11:05:56 AM, Mr.Infidel wrote:

I don't get it.

If God is omnipotent can he make an object that is both square and circular?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:30:52 AM
With God all things are possible...........except the following things.....err what ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:36:02 AM
At 10/24/2011 11:30:52 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
With God all things are possible...........except the following things.....err what ?

this
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:41:31 AM
I don't find the "Rock Paradox" to be a direct statement against gods per se, but rather an illustration of the incoherence of the words typically used to describe gods.

Of course, the point of contention is "anything."

Omnipotence - the power to do anything. Ok, can you do the impossible? If you can then it truly wasn't impossible, if you can't, then there is something you can't do.

Omniscience - knowing everything. Ok, can you know something that is false? If you can, then it wasn't truly false, if you can't, then there is something you don't know.

Etc.

These types of arguments do have their uses. I feel their utility lies in forcing god-believers to describe their god in more accessible terms. Take "God is love" for example. Poetic, but essentially meaningless. If god is to be discussed in a manner that could ever potentially result in some sort of satisfiable conclusion, then we need to be able to articulate, clearly, what is being talked about. Omniscience and omnipotence, as defined above, don't cut it.

However, the argument is not useful in any sort of disproof of god in general, as it just results in redefinition. Omnipotence - the power to do anything that is possible. Omniscience - knowing all that is true, etc. So, at best, it just delays the discussion. However, if we are dealing with a god-concept that is consists only of those types of words, as defined above, then we can rightfully point out that it is a meaingless concept. Word fluff and nothing more.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 12:41:48 PM
*sigh*

I wish someone would come up with a philosophical point about God that hasn't already been beaten to death a million times before.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 12:43:08 PM
At 10/24/2011 12:41:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:
*sigh*

I wish someone would come up with a philosophical point about God that hasn't already been beaten to death a million times before.

You believe every philosophical argument against God has been refuted?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 1:53:13 PM
At 10/24/2011 12:41:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:
*sigh*

I do all the time, and when that happens, people find that they can't google an rebuttal, so they just ignore me.

I'm being patient. Maybe one day, someone will pull their head out of their @ss and realize I know what I'm talking about.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:40:16 PM

I commented on this (the OP, not InquireTruth) debate, and later remembered I had seen this thread...

IT's argument is one of the (few) points that he and I agree on. There is no omnipotence paradox... I don't think it's necessarily self-refuting as IT says... I think it's just meaningless. That said, we employ the same reasoning.