Jump to topic:

What Type of Religion are You?

Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:49:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Disregarding atheism because it does it own thing, what type of faith are you?

I believe there are two basic schools of thought for religion:

"Literal", faith that is about strict teaching and doctrines, responds to the bible in a literal way.

Example: people who believe in a literal faith would believe that Jesus "actually" rose from the dead, and was living in the physical world.

"Actuality", faith that changes, certain things can be interpreted in many ways, does not follow strict doctrines

Example: May think the Jesus rose spiritual and not physical, Jesus did not physical die, Jesus was not an actual person, etc (Could also believe in literal example)

Along the lines of Christianity, there are many sects that address this issues, such as belief/worship/use of icons and weather or not "the bread and wine" are "actually" the body and blood of Jesus.

Personally, I do not practice strict teaching and doctrines, because sometimes they are unclear or do not make perfect sense (to me).

Why type of theist person are you? Do you allow room for interpretation and changes in your faith, or do you practice your faith "word for word"?
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:29:17 PM
word through word
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:30:41 PM
When I was religious, I fit into the "actualism," category--we believed scripture was to be interpreted, not taken literally.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:32:30 PM
At 10/30/2011 9:30:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
When I was religious, I fit into the "actualism," category--we believed scripture was to be interpreted, not taken literally.

Sorry--"actuality."

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:36:27 PM
I would think that some people you would put into the "literal" column would resent the fact that you use the term "actuality" for the other, depending on the intended definition of the word "actuality". It could imply that people who follow the literal word of a doctrine are unrealistic or impractical.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:43:01 PM
I think the best answer to that is "none." I don't usually say I am an "Atheist" because that puts everyone with no religion into one category. It is much like putting everyone who don't play football into one category as "afootballists." It doesn't make sense. I simply follow no religion. Of course, my profile says that I am an Atheist because "none" or "not applicable" were not available as options, and I wanted to be accurate.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:44:08 PM
At 10/23/2011 8:49:42 PM, Mikeee wrote:

By the way, Atheism is not a religion that "does its own thing." It simply involves the absence of any religious beliefs.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:11:16 PM
At 10/30/2011 9:44:08 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

By the way, Atheism is not a religion that "does its own thing." It simply involves the absence of any religious beliefs.

Atheism is the lack of belief in the theistic conception of God. This does not imply an absence of religious beliefs..
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:16:25 PM
At 10/30/2011 10:11:16 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Atheism is the lack of belief in the theistic conception of God. This does not imply an absence of religious beliefs..

Nor does it imply the presence of religious beliefs.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:23:39 PM
At 10/30/2011 10:16:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

It goes without saying that it implies neither.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 8:35:23 AM
At 10/30/2011 10:23:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Actually it does generally imply naturalism.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 8:39:56 AM
At 10/31/2011 8:35:23 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/30/2011 10:23:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Actually it does generally imply naturalism.

Why? Atheists can't believe in ghosts or spirits?
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 8:58:55 AM

I believe there are two basic schools of thought for religion:

"Literal", faith that is about strict teaching and doctrines, responds to the bible in a literal way.

Example: people who believe in a literal faith would believe that Jesus "actually" rose from the dead, and was living in the physical world.

"Actuality", faith that changes, certain things can be interpreted in many ways, does not follow strict doctrines

Example: May think the Jesus rose spiritual and not physical, Jesus did not physical die, Jesus was not an actual person, etc (Could also believe in literal example)

Along the lines of Christianity, there are many sects that address this issues, such as belief/worship/use of icons and weather or not "the bread and wine" are "actually" the body and blood of Jesus.

Personally, I do not practice strict teaching and doctrines, because sometimes they are unclear or do not make perfect sense (to me).

Why type of theist person are you? Do you allow room for interpretation and changes in your faith, or do you practice your faith "word for word"?

You do know that there are more paths than Christianity and atheism, right?
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 12:17:31 PM
I'd say both. I generally take Buddhist scripture literally, but sometimes it blatantly makes use of irony in metaphors in some parts of scripture. So the parts that are metaphorical are not selectively taken as such, they were written clearly as irony/metaphor so no picking and choosing there.

Also, Buddhist scripture does not need to be updated or reinterpreted to keep with the times. It's philosophy is sound and solid enough so that modernism doesn't require it to adapt.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 12:23:05 PM

Completely false. Jainism, Buddhism, and Taoism are all Atheistic religions.

Atheism is the lack of belief in Gods.

Theism = Belief in God, A-theism = no belief in God
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 5:21:34 PM
Agnostic-- and for the last time, I am not questioning my religion. I have no religion to question. I believe in nothing because nothing can be proved of the existence of a God.

I go to catholic school and was baptized catholic. I know more about the catholic faith than most believing catholics.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:19:35 PM

The belief of not believing is still a belief in which you believe...