Jump to topic:

Is Man Naturally Materialistic???

josh_42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 6:08:56 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I am writing a speech on materialism, and i was wondering what are your views.
Does man naturally tend to be materialistic?

(Materialistic as in: focused only on material gain)
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 6:21:52 PM
Of course man is naturally materialistic. Look at our form of economics, capitalism. It relies upon materialism to work.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 6:38:00 PM
Well, forms of Buddhism preach non-materialism. For the most part, materialism and survival are intertwined. Man is the only animal to have the luxury of not being materialistic, but really, what good does it serve to go against that instinct?

A man can refrain from sexual activity, become a vegetarian, do all sorts of restrictive things. In the end, none of it matters in the smallest way, so why do it o.O?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
josh_42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 6:52:42 PM
not all our instinctual behavior is good though: Hate, jealousy, revenge, murder,rape.
the must be controlled for the good of society.

my question is, can man control his instincts? Do you think man if man controls his instincts of materialism, can it be for good?
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 7:09:02 PM
Yes, man can definetly control his instincts. All of the examples Kleptin gave are good ones on retraining natural instinct.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 8:00:32 PM
At 10/19/2008 6:52:42 PM, josh_42 wrote:
not all our instinctual behavior is good though: Hate, jealousy, revenge, murder,rape.
the must be controlled for the good of society.

my question is, can man control his instincts? Do you think man if man controls his instincts of materialism, can it be for good?

No instinctive behavior is good or evil. When you're talking about instinctive behavior, it's no longer an issue of morality. Yes, Hate, jealousy, revenge, murder, rape, these things need to be controlled in order for a society to exist, but there's nothing inherently wrong with any of them.

Hate, jealousy, murder, revenge, these things are easy to explain. Harming those that harm you, or just harming others in general is the only way for animals to assert themselves in terms of dominance, or to fight for mates. it's nature at work. Similarly, rape is natural as well. It is a mechanism that ensures that the strongest males can fertilize the most females, regardless of their consent.

The thing is, Humans are instinctively social. The instinct to form a social group just clashes with the natural instincts above. It's not about saying that some instincts are bad for society, therefore, they are evil. Instincts just clash, and that's it.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 11:20:49 PM
It is near impossible to prove that materialism is inherent in mankind.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 1:13:03 AM
At 10/19/2008 11:20:49 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
It is near impossible to prove that materialism is inherent in mankind.
Oh?
I think it could be proven quite easily, if we accept a few non-controversial statements.

1. Humans instinctively seek out pleasure [positive feelings] and avoid pain [negative feelings].
2. Most material possessions fulfill some want or need, causing pleasure or helping people avoid pain. [ex. I want to be able to travel long distances, so getting a car fulfills a want, so getting one makes me happy].
This tends to be true because most material goods are specifically made to fulfill a need or want.

3. From premises 1 and 2, materialism is inherent in humans.

Of course, there's some semantics arguments against that. What do we mean by inherent? Would a few exceptions disprove this, or are they just abnormal? etc.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 1:22:00 AM
I of course must add that the current culture of consumerism that plagues the world, but our country especially, does not help. It encourages *extreme* materialism, and it all feeds off of the instinct we call greed.
Don't I take care of them all?
lilmunch64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2008 8:38:27 PM
of course! It's instinctual. We're all inventors- that's how some people even define us as seperate from the animal kingdom (idiots)- so we need materials. We need materials to be stable emotionally. So actually, it's all about emotional stability. Wow, what a conundrum! Anyway, we're also totally obsessed with status, and status is easily defined by materials.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2008 9:57:19 PM
At 10/20/2008 1:22:00 AM, brittwaller wrote:
I of course must add that the current culture of consumerism that plagues the world, but our country especially, does not help. It encourages *extreme* materialism, and it all feeds off of the instinct we call greed.

Greed is a good thing. If you do not want, you will not get.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
karththegeld
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 2:56:38 PM
At 10/19/2008 6:08:56 PM, josh_42 wrote:

Being brought up in modern society where man tends to be materialistic would beg the question of whether or not man is naturally materialistic. But man is not naturally materialistic, it is the influence of the environment that makes him materialistic.
"Love life for life hates you." -Me
manutdredseal46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 7:13:31 PM
At 12/11/2008 2:56:38 PM, karththegeld wrote:

Being brought up in modern society where man tends to be materialistic would beg the question of whether or not man is naturally materialistic. But man is not naturally materialistic, it is the influence of the environment that makes him materialistic.

Given that man has created its society which then influences itself, the logical next step (to continue your logic) is to assume that man is naturally materialistic.
-ManUtdRedSeal46
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 8:32:00 PM

Are you out of you're blinkin mind?

If that were the case there would be no one buying drinks in the hopes of casual sex-- and yet the bars are full. After all, sex is an action not a material :D
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 8:52:05 PM
At 12/11/2008 8:32:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

If that were the case there would be no one buying drinks in the hopes of casual sex-- and yet the bars are full. After all, sex is an action not a material :D
I lol'ed
jjmd280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2008 5:16:45 PM

But - You need the material to have sex. It just ain't the same thrusting into the open air...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2008 6:45:07 PM
At 12/12/2008 5:16:45 PM, jjmd280 wrote:

But - You need the material to have sex. It just ain't the same thrusting into the open air...

Focused ONLY on material gain...

Not on gains which are partially material.

Lolz
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.