Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm converting to Islam

IndiJone
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 3:50:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Good luck with that. Never stop learning.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:08:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation.

Islam has more to offer in terms of salvation? What does that even mean? There are things you need to be saved from that you think Islam will do a better job at. Like what, the Islamic Hell?

I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
IndiJone
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.
Mr.Infidel
Posts: 300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:17:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

Prepare to lose all your rights...
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:26:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items.

What are you talking about? Mainstream Buddhism teaches that there are multiple levels of existence and that depending on the karma you've accumulated (good or bad) you will be relegated to one of those realms in the next life. You could go to the highest level of heaven as a God, or the lowest level of hell as a demon or the various stages inbetween. Material goods don't come into it. It also teaches that you can break the cycle of reincarnation by achieving enlightenment.

Also, you should convert depending on what you think is true, not what rewards you think you will get depending on the religion you choose - for the obvious reason that those rewards are dependent on the religion being true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:51:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Buddha's teachings will lead you to happiness and peace, I know this for certain.

Also, no, contrary to popular belief, Buddhism has little to do with the afterlife and all that mumbo jumbo that was attached to it.

The thing with Buddhism though, is it only works if you actually understand it. If you understand what it is saying, it is like being slapped in the face with the most obvious thing in the world.

Buddhism can get really deep though. One of the things that impresses me about Buddha is how remarkably intelligent he was. He made the Greek philosophers look stupid by comparison.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jewgirl
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:16:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

You wrote:
" I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. "

This alone is not reason to accept a religion. Religion should be chosen on the basis of evidence.

Have you considered other major religions, such as Christianity, or the father of both religions, Judaism. Actually according to Judaism you needn't convert, rather just being good and following 7 basic moral laws are sufficient.

Whatever you do always keep an open mind, and always ask "what's the evidence?"
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:23:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.

Why not do what you do for anything else believe what is based on evidence. Not what makes you feel better. It will actually probably ultimately make you feel better anyway.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:26:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.

I actually loved this post.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:26:56 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.

I actually loved this post.

Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:32:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:26:56 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.

I actually loved this post.

Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.

You have shown that you want your negative emotions to govern you, Izbo10.....sorry...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:45:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:32:55 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:26:56 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings is because it focuses on the materialistic world, which does not bring true happiness onto oneself. If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations). In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others. So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

In reality, to any "non-believers", religion is just another thing that stirs emotion, weather there be a higher being or not.

To you izbob, I will reiterate, go through life doing what ever makes you happy, what ever it may be, do not let fear or negative emotion govern you.

I actually loved this post.

Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.

You have shown that you want your negative emotions to govern you, Izbo10.....sorry...

Yes, it is so hateful and terrible to want people to base there beliefs on evidence, I know how dare I care about others and respect the truth.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.

What is wrong with you?

First of all, I'm totally selfish. I don't give a fvck about anyone except those who positively impact my life. Selfish is awesome. Me! Me! Me! I preach the motherfvcking book of selfish.

The more important question is, who are you to define truth? Sure, we both believe that God doesn't exist, but you seem to think inferring people are stupid because they don't agree with you is intelligent. It's not.

You don't know sh!t. You don't even know how you came to exist. You don't know how the universe came to exist. Wake up to yourself. You're just an arrogant, ignorant, little internet twerp.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:49:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:47:06 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.

What is wrong with you?

First of all, I'm totally selfish. I don't give a fvck about anyone except those who positively impact my life. Selfish is awesome. Me! Me! Me! I preach the motherfvcking book of selfish.

The more important question is, who are you to define truth? Sure, we both believe that God doesn't exist, but you seem to think inferring people are stupid because they don't agree with you is intelligent. It's not.

You don't know sh!t. You don't even know how you came to exist. You don't know how the universe came to exist. Wake up to yourself. You're just an arrogant, ignorant, little internet twerp.

Give me one piece of evidence for god. We base what is true on best available evidence. So far no one has given any good evidence for any god.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:56:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:49:20 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Give me one piece of evidence for god. We base what is true on best available evidence. So far no one has given any good evidence for any god.

*facepalm*
I don't have to give you evidence for anything. Essentially, I'm in complete agreement with you, except I try not to act like a d!ckhead all the time.

You're completely missing my point though. Some people see evidence for God all around them. Their very existence is evidence of God.
As long as they aren't leading holy crusades or blowing themselves up, who gives a fvck what sky wizard they believe in?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 6:57:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:49:20 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:47:06 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.

What is wrong with you?

First of all, I'm totally selfish. I don't give a fvck about anyone except those who positively impact my life. Selfish is awesome. Me! Me! Me! I preach the motherfvcking book of selfish.

The more important question is, who are you to define truth? Sure, we both believe that God doesn't exist, but you seem to think inferring people are stupid because they don't agree with you is intelligent. It's not.

You don't know sh!t. You don't even know how you came to exist. You don't know how the universe came to exist. Wake up to yourself. You're just an arrogant, ignorant, little internet twerp.

Give me one piece of evidence for god. We base what is true on best available evidence. So far no one has given any good evidence for any god.

That wasn't what TV was saying...Do you want me to take you on another reading comprehension tour??
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 7:11:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

All I say is this, read the koran, attempt to decide if it is the truth, not merely if it 'offers you more'. If the entire document is consistent, if it survives the arguments of atheism and if it offers you proof that suggests the actually literal objective existence of Allah is a reasonable, rational position then convert.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 7:25:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:56:47 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/24/2011 6:49:20 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Give me one piece of evidence for god. We base what is true on best available evidence. So far no one has given any good evidence for any god.

*facepalm*
I don't have to give you evidence for anything. Essentially, I'm in complete agreement with you, except I try not to act like a d!ckhead all the time.

You're completely missing my point though. Some people see evidence for God all around them. Their very existence is evidence of God.
As long as they aren't leading holy crusades or blowing themselves up, who gives a fvck what sky wizard they believe in?

This.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mikeee
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:07:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Give me one piece of evidence for god. We base what is true on best available evidence. So far no one has given any good evidence for any god.

Let's say that there is every piece of valid evidence in the world proving the existence of a god, would you believe and accept it? Now let's say that the proven god is everything that resembles evil, do you still choice to believe and accept? By believing in this god, the only one true proven truth (in this hypothetical situation),you will be condemned to suffering horrible pain for the rest of eternity, do you still believe? By choosing to deny this god, which has been proven to be the true god (100% right, no exceptions) you are guaranteed a lifetime of happiness and prosperity, and no suffering.

Izbob, in this situation, do you choice to accept the truth and all of its consequences, or do you choice to simply deny it and live happily?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:11:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 5:11:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:18:26 PM, izbo10 wrote:
typical theist, not going based on fact, but risk reward. Lol sad.

We, as humans, have the ability to feel and share certain emotions. One of these emotions which we experience is the ability to be happy; happiness. If you are implying the following strict teachings will allow me to float up on to a kingdom build in clouds, I am afraid you are very wrong, and terribly misinformed.

Oh, but floating up into heaven filled with 72 virgins is much more plausible...

I am sure that at one point in your live someone has said to you; "do what makes you happy". From my perspective, and mentioned in "holy books" constantly, regardless of particular religion, heaven (the reward) has been described as a place where there is not suffering or pain, yet it is not a materialistic place.

So deluding yourself makes you happy?

The reason why I am starting to disregard Buddhist teachings

You are NOT a Buddhist and never have been. You have ZERO knowledge of Buddhism.

See below.

is because it focuses on the materialistic world,

False.

"Be my heirs in Dhamma, not my heirs in material things."
-- the Buddha [Dhammadayada Sutta]

"So long as people do not understand the true nature of the objective world, they fall into the dualistic view of things. They imagine the multiplicity of external objects to be real and become attached to them."
-- the Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]

which does not bring true happiness onto oneself.

And the Buddha agrees. Are you sure you were a Buddhist?

"Conquered by material gain, his mind overcome, Devadatta is headed for a state of deprivation"
-- the Buddha [Uttara Sutta]

If I where to live a devout life, I would be reincarnated into a life full of more materialistic things (and more temptations).

False.

"Where there is nothing; where naught is grasped, there is the Isle of No-Beyond. Nirvana do I call it -- the utter extinction of aging and dying."
-- the Buddha

In life, I recognize more than just tangible items. Humans naturally morn for the ability to communicate and connect with one another. What I seek from religion is just that, the ability to connect with others.

And Buddhism has that ability as well.

"Every drop of water is the ocean, but each individual drop does not know this truth!"
-- the Buddha

"Let us live in joy, in love amongst those who hate."
-- the Buddha

So to correct your statement, it is not fear of risking reward, but the "reward" that strikes fear in that it can be lost.

You have no business correcting people. You claim to be leaving Buddhism for Islam, yet you have no knowledge of Buddhism or the proper reasons to switch to Islam.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:18:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 3:47:13 PM, IndiJone wrote:
I have given this a lot of thought, and after struggling, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to convert to the faith of Islam. I have been reflecting on my Buddhism faith, and have decided that Islam has more to offer to me, in the sense of personal happiness and salvation. I will be attempting to learn how to read Arabic and will be going on a Haj to Mecca either this year (time permitting) or next.

Converting will not just happen over night and I would like to know of other opinions of faith before I start my learning of Islamic teachings.

What evidence did you find, that convinced you of the truth of Islam?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:21:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 8:11:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Oh, but floating up into heaven filled with 72 virgins is much more plausible...


Is that a mainstream Islamic belief?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
JuiceSqueeze
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:43:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why would anyone voluntarily convert to the most violent and bigoted religion on the planet?

The last thing Islam needs is more apologists. It needs an enlightenment, enough coddling and "understanding." Just disgusting the way Muslim states behave and treat each other.

No value on life.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:51:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 8:43:13 PM, JuiceSqueeze wrote:
Why would anyone voluntarily convert to the most violent and bigoted religion on the planet?

The last thing Islam needs is more apologists. It needs an enlightenment, enough coddling and "understanding." Just disgusting the way Muslim states behave and treat each other.

No value on life.

How many Muslims do you actually know?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:58:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 8:43:13 PM, JuiceSqueeze wrote:
Why would anyone voluntarily convert to the most violent and bigoted religion on the planet?

The last thing Islam needs is more apologists. It needs an enlightenment, enough coddling and "understanding." Just disgusting the way Muslim states behave and treat each other.

No value on life.

I take it that you've been watching the media and not been talking to any Muslim at all...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 2:04:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 6:29:41 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yes, lets not worry about the effects it has on others or anytthing like truth lets just all be selfish. Sounds so great.
He is picking a religion which puts more value into what you do to others than what you do to yourself only. In fact, Islam does not even accept your beliefs if you do not do good to others. In fact, one of the most important parts of Islam is charity. And, even if you do not like children and look negatively upon them, Islam deems you as weak in faith. That's because the religion is about you and other people, not only you. That's the opposite of selfishness.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 2:09:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The 72 virgins is not a Qur'anic teaching whatsoever. The Islamic concept of Heaven is a place of peace and no evil deeds, where there will be beautiful guardians, both male and female.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 3:27:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 8:21:29 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Is that a mainstream Islamic belief?

Yeah, it's pretty ironic that Geo would criticise someone for their ignorance of Buddhism then turn around and use that example of Islam.