Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

To Christians

vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 1:41:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

No. They are robots. Dont be ridiculous.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 1:53:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 1:41:29 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

No. They are robots. Dont be ridiculous.

Just to be clear, in Christianity, the consequence for not believing is an eternity of torture. Why wouldn't robots, designed to serve mankind, try to convert people to Christianty, assuming that the robots concluded the Christian account to be true.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
RFH
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 2:36:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A robot wouldn't be capable of the metaphysical work it would take to prove or disprove the existence of God. If it came to a conclusion one way or the other it would most likely be as a result of the bias of its creator.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 2:52:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianity.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

If I were Christian the ans. would be yes. But according to my religion, we do not try to convert people to the religion (We accept them if they choose to do so.).
We do believe it is important that everyone believe in god and follow 7 basic moral principals. To that end I would use the robots. why not?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 3:25:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

I would add to the other above comments it is usually a lack of information, a lack of experience, and a lack objectivity that causes disbelief.

A robot with a higher intellectual capacity does not solve those problems.
-You would have to give him pertinent information, which would be limited to its creators understanding of logic, reason and database of facts.

-You would also have to allow for the experience with a religion, like meeting Jesus. We have no guarentee that the robot would be granted an audience with Jesus.

-You would have to guarentee its creator would have a level of objectivity that is not common place in atheists.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 3:36:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A sufficiently intelligent machine would understand the absurdity of the question.

Hitchhiker's Guide be coming to mind.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 4:13:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

something seems contradictory with the bold statement with the underline statement. it has intellect and yet its not sentient?

but just because a robot would understand Jesus was the son of god, its a robot, it does not make choices for itself. it does what it is programed to.

However, rolling with the idea of Robots assisting the mission of the church; some robots could be programed for missionary service. those robots would need numerous laungages programed into them, preferably made bulletproof to survive cut throat regions like that place in the movie 'blood dimond', and other usefull stuff you want in your missionaries.

other robots would be set aside to be programed with home-front needs, there are shortages in pastures at various churches. if you programed 500 robots to look roughly the same and to link to the same computer control, and simply made to stand in place behind the pulpit, you could have one man sitting in his control room somewhere in the country turn all the robot-preachers on Sunday morning across the nation and have them mimic his movements and transmit his voice so he could in effect preach his sermon to hundreds of churches everywere. Just one man.

However robots could not quite work the same way with giving spiritual guidance that a pastor gives to his congregation in a personal way. that you basically need humans for.

treasury committee chair though, a robot could handle, they don't even have to choose what to spend on, just suggest a budget and get the humans to approve.

Old people visitation probably could not be replaced very well by robots

orchestrating food drives, backpack buddy programs, disaster relief, making homes for homeless, those might be robot applicable.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 4:17:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 3:25:08 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianty.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

I would add to the other above comments it is usually a lack of information, a lack of experience, and a lack objectivity that causes disbelief.

A robot with a higher intellectual capacity does not solve those problems.
-You would have to give him pertinent information, which would be limited to its creators understanding of logic, reason and database of facts.

We could go pretty far in imagining how intellegent the robot would be. Obviously, a decent human-like robot could obtain "pertainent information" on its own. We can assume that it would be a much better at logic than any human logician.

A truely intellegent robot wouldn't be contrained to the biases of it's creator. We can imagine - well we have to imagine, - that the robot would surpass it's creator in intelligence. The point of the ideal AI is to learn and reason. Not to dumbly carry out the programmers instructions like a word processor.


-You would also have to allow for the experience with a religion, like meeting Jesus. We have no guarentee that the robot would be granted an audience with Jesus.

It's our thought experiment. "Jesus meet AWESOM-O. He wants to pick your brain about a few things."


-You would have to guarentee its creator would have a level of objectivity that is not common place in atheists.

Ok, in our thought experiment let's assume that a panel has been created to ensure the robot is completely free of bias which it suceeded in doing.

When you say "experience religion", I think what you are saying is not *collect data* on religion but rather *feel* religion. But the point of using an unfeeling robot here is to illustrate that only a feeling human could believe the central claims of Christianty; not an objective intellegence.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 7:33:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/25/2011 2:52:18 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/25/2011 1:40:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If we created non-sentient robots that had intellects superior to humans, would they conclude that Jesus was the son of the creator of the universe?

If your answer is yes, (and assuming we created them to serve mankind), would they all become missionaries and door-to-door sales people for Christianity.

In short, if we created robots to serve us and they had superior intellects to our own, would we simply creating automated missionaries.

(If you are of another religion and would like to answer this, please do. Just substitute your own creator God, salvation scheme, etc...)

If I were Christian the ans. would be yes. But according to my religion, we do not try to convert people to the religion (We accept them if they choose to do so.).
We do believe it is important that everyone believe in god and follow 7 basic moral principals. To that end I would use the robots. why not?

Are you Jewish ?
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit