Total Posts:82|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Faith in God

Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:27:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi everyone. Let me give a bit of background to the question. I grew up as a christian and went to church for about 5 years every sunday. But it confused me a lot and I never fully understood the questions that I had about it. Now I do. After doing plenty of research about what is going on in the world, I've come to the revelation that The Bible is the true knowledge. This has been a really recent thing. I said the prayer of salvation last night. But human nature leaves me with doubts.

So my question to all of you christians here: how do you strengthen your faith in God? Prayer? Going to Church? Reading the bible? Doing the right thing? Is it a combination of all of these things or is there something more important than that?

and: how do you pray? Do you feel God's presence? Does he talk to you? How do you know what he wants of you?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:49:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 11:27:19 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. Let me give a bit of background to the question. I grew up as a christian and went to church for about 5 years every sunday. But it confused me a lot and I never fully understood the questions that I had about it. Now I do. After doing plenty of research about what is going on in the world, I've come to the revelation that The Bible is the true knowledge. This has been a really recent thing. I said the prayer of salvation last night. But human nature leaves me with doubts.

So my question to all of you christians here: how do you strengthen your faith in God? Prayer? Going to Church? Reading the bible? Doing the right thing? Is it a combination of all of these things or is there something more important than that?

and: how do you pray? Do you feel God's presence? Does he talk to you? How do you know what he wants of you?

10 to 1 says you haven't read the bible
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth? If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:03:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth? If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

We have to have free will so we can freely choose between him and sin... which obviously makes no real sense but hey...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basicly, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basicly, free will.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:14:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basicly, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basicly, free will.

What does indisputable proof have to do with free will?
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:14:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 11:27:19 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. Let me give a bit of background to the question. I grew up as a christian and went to church for about 5 years every sunday. But it confused me a lot and I never fully understood the questions that I had about it. Now I do. After doing plenty of research about what is going on in the world, I've come to the revelation that The Bible is the true knowledge. This has been a really recent thing. I said the prayer of salvation last night. But human nature leaves me with doubts.

So my question to all of you christians here: how do you strengthen your faith in God? Prayer? Going to Church? Reading the bible? Doing the right thing? Is it a combination of all of these things or is there something more important than that?

and: how do you pray? Do you feel God's presence? Does he talk to you? How do you know what he wants of you?

In addition to the things you mentioned, I have 2 suggestions:
1) read and learn. If your objective which you seem to be, pursuit of knowledge will bring you closer to the truth.

2) In prayer ask god for; patience, guidance, clarity, and objective truth. seek to know him, and how to best serve him. Patience.

In the beginning you probably won't feel gods present, it takes time and effort to make god a reality.
This is one of our main tasks in life, making the metaphysical world part of our reality.
Good luck, and may god be with you.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:24:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I might add, prayer is not reserved for Sundays, or in church.
I pray to god every day, at least 3 times a day.
God has to become the center of your life.

Oh. BTW. I'm not Christian.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:27:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.

Things need evidence to be believed, which the bible, at least the old testament, has.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:14:30 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basically, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basically, free will.

What does indisputable proof have to do with free will?

Basically, if there was indisputable proof, you would not have the choice of being objective in persual of truth. It would be obvious in your face no way out.
You would have to believe in god.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:24:51 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
I might add, prayer is not reserved for Sundays, or in church.
I pray to god every day, at least 3 times a day.
God has to become the center of your life.

Oh. BTW. I'm not Christian.

What happened to free will?? This is what initially turns me off about Christianity, why must you pray so much, and go to church so much and do all these silly things? I would subscribe to a religion that said God exists but it didn't matter whether or not you believed in him, you would go to heaven or hell depending on how bad or good you are, and people who go to hell don't stay there forever. Like kinesis once said, finite crimes are disproportionate to perpetual punishment.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:32:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.

I don't know what Taoism is. Is it sensible? Must you pray or worship something? If so, then it must be as silly and idolatrous as Christianity.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:36:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:24:51 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
I might add, prayer is not reserved for Sundays, or in church.
I pray to god every day, at least 3 times a day.
God has to become the center of your life.

Oh. BTW. I'm not Christian.

What happened to free will?? This is what initially turns me off about Christianity, why must you pray so much, and go to church so much and do all these silly things? I would subscribe to a religion that said God exists but it didn't matter whether or not you believed in him, you would go to heaven or hell depending on how bad or good you are, and people who go to hell don't stay there forever. Like kinesis once said, finite crimes are disproportionate to perpetual punishment.

I am not shore what free will has to do with this.
Free will means, you have the ability to do what you want.
You can make choices.
It does not preclude a right way to live verse a wrong way to live.
Our job is to use free will to go in the perfect path that god set up for us.
Free will enables us to go either way. Our job is to choose to go in the way of god.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:39:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.

Now that you are 23, perhaps it is time you re examine the conclusion you made at age 10.

With your, now, more mature mind, if you open your eyes objectively you will see there is evidence of god.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:40:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:14:30 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basically, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basically, free will.

What does indisputable proof have to do with free will?

Basically, if there was indisputable proof, you would not have the choice of being objective in persual of truth. It would be obvious in your face no way out.
You would have to believe in god.

So the following people did not have Free Will:

Adam
Eve
Cain
Abraham
Noah
Moses

?

Or do you not count that the fact that God unambiguously revealed himself to those people as indisputable proof?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:42:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:32:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.

I don't know what Taoism is. Is it sensible?

It might not appeal to common sense, but it's definitely rational. It doesn't make wild unsupported claims.

Must you pray

No.

or worship something?

No.

If so, then it must be as silly and idolatrous as Christianity.

So far off and completely different from Christianity, there are practically no similarities.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:45:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:40:47 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:14:30 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basically, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basically, free will.

What does indisputable proof have to do with free will?

Basically, if there was indisputable proof, you would not have the choice of being objective in persual of truth. It would be obvious in your face no way out.
You would have to believe in god.

So the following people did not have Free Will:

Adam
Eve
Cain
Abraham
Noah
Moses

?

Or do you not count that the fact that God unambiguously revealed himself to those people as indisputable proof?

They did not have free will with regard to beliefe in god but they have free will with regard to other things.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:48:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:39:33 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.

Now that you are 23, perhaps it is time you re examine the conclusion you made at age 10.

With your, now, more mature mind, if you open your eyes objectively you will see there is evidence of god.

You know, your comment made me laugh out loud. There is no observable scientific evidence for god. By scientific evidence, I am not going to include all the philosophical baloney of the ontological, cosmological and whatever arguments that people on DDO put as evidence for god, which is basically just glorified semantics. I saw no reason at all in the past 13 years to re-examine my conclusion.
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:50:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:42:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:32:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.

I don't know what Taoism is. Is it sensible?

It might not appeal to common sense, but it's definitely rational. It doesn't make wild unsupported claims.

Must you pray

No.

or worship something?

No.

If so, then it must be as silly and idolatrous as Christianity.

So far off and completely different from Christianity, there are practically no similarities.

There is no evidence, or reason to believe in Taoism.
Its just a random belief that some one dreamt up, like Hinduism, budisim etc.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:54:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:45:57 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:40:47 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:30:41 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:14:30 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:05:17 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth?

Basically, for our good.

If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

Basically, free will.

What does indisputable proof have to do with free will?

Basically, if there was indisputable proof, you would not have the choice of being objective in persual of truth. It would be obvious in your face no way out.
You would have to believe in god.

So the following people did not have Free Will:

Adam
Eve
Cain
Abraham
Noah
Moses

?

Or do you not count that the fact that God unambiguously revealed himself to those people as indisputable proof?

They did not have free will with regard to beliefe in god but they have free will with regard to other things.

So then, on a general level, it does not seem that God has a problem in providing indisputable proof, even if it interferes with Free Will. This contradicts the answer you provided.

If God can provide said proof, and wants us to believe, why doesn't he? Free Will is not an answer because that didn't stop him for the above (and other innumerable) cases.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:55:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:50:43 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
There is no evidence, or reason to believe in Taoism.
Its just a random belief that some one dreamt up, like Hinduism, budisim etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that your knowledge of any of those religions is non-existent.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 12:57:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:48:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:39:33 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.

Now that you are 23, perhaps it is time you re examine the conclusion you made at age 10.

With your, now, more mature mind, if you open your eyes objectively you will see there is evidence of god.

You know, your comment made me laugh out loud. There is no observable scientific evidence for god. By scientific evidence, I am not going to include all the philosophical baloney of the ontological, cosmological and whatever arguments that people on DDO put as evidence for god, which is basically just glorified semantics. I saw no reason at all in the past 13 years to re-examine my conclusion.

LOL, yes, it is glorified semantics indeed! Intellectual Christians are soo scattered its not even funny. They all try to use science and math to justify Christianity, an impossible task! Gileandos for one tried to assert that God lives in the 4th dimension, something no other Christian on this site believes.

50% of Christians are christians out of fear.
25% are Christians out of, thats what I was taught, I don't see why not
20% of Christians are Christians out of sheer conformity
5% of Christians are Christians out of deluded conviction
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
smartyskirt
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:13:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:48:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:39:33 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.

Now that you are 23, perhaps it is time you re examine the conclusion you made at age 10.

With your, now, more mature mind, if you open your eyes objectively you will see there is evidence of god.

You know, your comment made me laugh out loud. There is no observable scientific evidence for god. By scientific evidence, I am not going to include all the philosophical baloney of the ontological, cosmological and whatever arguments that people on DDO put as evidence for god, which is basically just glorified semantics. I saw no reason at all in the past 13 years to re-examine my conclusion.

Here is a partial list of some arguments:

Arguments for the existence of God:

The cosmological argument.

The teleological argument.

Intelligent design argument.

The ontological argument

Argument from morality

Argument from beauty

Argument from love

Argument from religious experience

The anthropic argument.

Qualia-based arguments.

Thetranscendental argument

The argument from degree

The will to believe doctrine

The argument from reason

Arguments from historical events or personages

Judaism asserts that God intervened in key specific moments in history, especially at the Exodus and the giving of the Ten Commandments in front of all the tribes of Israel, positing an argument from empirical evidence stemming from sheer number of witnesses, thus demonstrating his existence.

Inductive arguments

Arguments from testimony

Argument from Jewish survival

Argument from bible codes.

Argument from fulfilled prophesies.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:17:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 1:13:47 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:48:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:39:33 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:34:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My parents were religious. Not a lot, but a little bit. When I was younger, I believed in god because my parents said so. When I turned about 10 years old, I started questioning "What is god?" "How do you know he/she/it exists?" I never got any adequate answers. I just decided the whole thing was bogus - I was 10 at this time. After that I have never been religious in any way. I am not anti-religious or against any religion; religion has just never been a part of my life.

Now that you are 23, perhaps it is time you re examine the conclusion you made at age 10.

With your, now, more mature mind, if you open your eyes objectively you will see there is evidence of god.

You know, your comment made me laugh out loud. There is no observable scientific evidence for god. By scientific evidence, I am not going to include all the philosophical baloney of the ontological, cosmological and whatever arguments that people on DDO put as evidence for god, which is basically just glorified semantics. I saw no reason at all in the past 13 years to re-examine my conclusion.

Here is a partial list of some arguments:

Arguments for the existence of God:

The cosmological argument.

The teleological argument.

Intelligent design argument.

The ontological argument

Argument from morality

Argument from beauty

Argument from love

Argument from religious experience

The anthropic argument.

Qualia-based arguments.

Thetranscendental argument

The argument from degree

The will to believe doctrine

The argument from reason

Arguments from historical events or personages

Judaism asserts that God intervened in key specific moments in history, especially at the Exodus and the giving of the Ten Commandments in front of all the tribes of Israel, positing an argument from empirical evidence stemming from sheer number of witnesses, thus demonstrating his existence.

Inductive arguments

Arguments from testimony

Argument from Jewish survival

Argument from bible codes.

Argument from fulfilled prophesies.

I'll take con on any of those...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:17:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 1:13:47 PM, smartyskirt wrote:

Here is a partial list of some arguments:

Arguments for the existence of God:

The cosmological argument.

The teleological argument.

Intelligent design argument.

The ontological argument

Argument from morality

Argument from beauty

Argument from love

Argument from religious experience

The anthropic argument.

Qualia-based arguments.

Thetranscendental argument

The argument from degree

The will to believe doctrine

The argument from reason

Arguments from historical events or personages

Judaism asserts that God intervened in key specific moments in history, especially at the Exodus and the giving of the Ten Commandments in front of all the tribes of Israel, positing an argument from empirical evidence stemming from sheer number of witnesses, thus demonstrating his existence.

Inductive arguments

Arguments from testimony

Argument from Jewish survival

Argument from bible codes.

Argument from fulfilled prophesies.

Why do I feel like you copied and pasted that from somewhere, and don't actually know the meaning of 99% of those terms?....Anyway, there's no such thing as Argument from morality, argument from love, argument from decree, argument from testimony, in fact, those all sound like logical fallacies.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:17:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 11:54:55 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something the Bible never answered that is rather important. If there was indeed a God that created the world and everything, why would he need us to know that on Earth? If we were to have such knowledge on Earth, why would he not give us the indisputable proof of his existence that would allow all people to comprehend it.

He does give us proof. Messages are all around us; he sends TONS of messages to us every day. It's up to us to see them. This is our test (once jesus came, we were given free will and this is why god doesn't give us DIRECT proof, all we need to do is believe.) There are many people out there supressing us and filling us with doubts so that we dont see the truth. I understand this might not make sense to you and thats okay; we all have to find the truth for ourselves.

I see there are a lot of posts; im a bit busy but i will try answering the other questions as I can.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:19:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 12:50:43 PM, smartyskirt wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:42:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:32:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/26/2011 12:22:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did you read every religious text? Why do you believe the Tao te Ching is false and the Bible is true?

Please demonstrate the falsehoods you found in Taoism.

I don't know what Taoism is. Is it sensible?

It might not appeal to common sense, but it's definitely rational. It doesn't make wild unsupported claims.

Must you pray

No.

or worship something?

No.

If so, then it must be as silly and idolatrous as Christianity.

So far off and completely different from Christianity, there are practically no similarities.

There is no evidence, or reason to believe in Taoism.

So you claim. Do you even know the tenets of Taoism? If not, how can you even claim that there is no evidence or reason to believe in Taoism if you don't know what it's about.

Its just a random belief that some one dreamt up,

Ah, so I suppose Abraham and Moses also dreamt up random bullsh!t.

But no, it's not dreamt up or random, Taoism was started by Lao Tzu who was a sage searching for truth, discovered it and philosophized, thus created the tenets of Taoism.

like Hinduism, budisim etc.

Judaism is no more special than the above religions.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 1:22:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/26/2011 1:17:46 PM, 000ike wrote:
there's no such thing as Argument from morality, argument from love, argument from decree, argument from testimony, in fact, those all sound like logical fallacies.

Sure there are, Christians have invented arguments from a ton of things in the history of theology.

Having a long list of arguments doesn't prove anything, however - there's an article on the web called 'one hundreds proofs that the earth is flat'. Quantity =/= quality.