Total Posts:106|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Would you convert if the rapture happened?

Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 11:49:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm assuming you all know what the rapture is so I won't go into that. Lets say it happens...every Christian you know is all of a sudden missing, and everybody else is saying the same thing...millions of people worldwide just dissapear. Would you believe it was Aliens? Government conspiracy? Or would you convert to Christianity? Thought I'd ask in case it happens in our life time.

Also this is a hypothetical question so please answer accordingly and not trollingly. Thanks!
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 11:51:24 PM
Depends on whether those Christians are vanishing upwards or downwards.

I'd clarify that before I do my conversion, but I'd be pretty easy to convince at that point.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 11:58:51 PM
At 10/31/2011 11:49:02 PM, Crede wrote:
I'm assuming you all know what the rapture is so I won't go into that. Lets say it happens...every Christian you know is all of a sudden missing, and everybody else is saying the same thing...millions of people worldwide just dissapear. Would you believe it was Aliens? Government conspiracy? Or would you convert to Christianity? Thought I'd ask in case it happens in our life time.

Also this is a hypothetical question so please answer accordingly and not trollingly. Thanks!

Well if I really had good proof it was the rapture I sure would. But I would always be skeptical that there was something else going on. I would also look for more plausible answers first.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 11:59:11 PM

Also this is a hypothetical question so please answer accordingly and not trollingly. :Thanks!

Well if I really had good proof it was the rapture I sure would. But I would always be skeptical that there was something else going on. I would also look for more plausible answers first.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 12:00:17 AM
If there were no other explanations immediately available, I would convert in a heartbeat. I would pretty much convert to anything at any time if the evidence seemed overwhelming.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 12:07:46 AM
No. I would not. If the rapture happened, then the bible says god will send a strong delusion to believe a lie. I surely would not be an atheist (worshipping the Antichrist), but certainly not Christian.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 12:12:34 AM
At 11/1/2011 12:07:46 AM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
No. I would not. If the rapture happened, then the bible says god will send a strong delusion to believe a lie. I surely would not be an atheist (worshipping the Antichrist), but certainly not Christian.

Elaboration

since I have heard the gospel, it would be impossible for me to repent and convert to Christianity based upon my understanding of the scripture.

Thankfully, I know the rapture won't happen in our lifetime, because I know the bible isn't god's word.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:38:10 AM

Not sure what I would do... I would probably assume there was a rational explanation... aliens would actually be my first guess, and as things go, it's probably about as easy to show it was aliens as god.

Though I can imagine awkwardness... "Huh... Bob wasn't taken either. But his wife was... wonder if she knew..."
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:41:55 AM

You have no proof except that they are missing. Nobody saw if they went up or down, or anything else for that matter...they are just gone. Like if you were in the kitchen with a Christian friend and when you looked up out of the fridge they were gone...and so is every other Christian on the planet...at least that is the only thing anybody has figured out to be a connection between the millions of missing people.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 2:37:43 AM
Seeing the rapture has not happened are you willing to convert to atheism or at least a view that is non Christian ? what no ? You expect the atheist to change their belief concerning evidence but you don't have to change your belief concerning evidence ?

I'll spare you having to respond by responding for you........

Crede: That's just because the rapture hasn't happened yet.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 2:57:17 AM
At 11/1/2011 2:37:43 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Seeing the rapture has not happened are you willing to convert to atheism or at least a view that is non Christian ? what no ? You expect the atheist to change their belief concerning evidence but you don't have to change your belief concerning evidence ?

Can you go back and read the original post to this thread where I said its a hypothetical question and not to troll?? Thanks.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 3:01:11 AM
At 11/1/2011 2:57:17 AM, Crede wrote:

Can you go back and read the original post to this thread where I said its a hypothetical question and not to troll?? Thanks.

Oh ok, hypothetically speaking, in regards to your hypothetical situation...........

Seeing the HYPOTHETICALLY rapture has not happened are you willing to convert to atheism or at least a view that is HYPOTHETICALLY non Christian ? what no ? You HYPOTHETICALLY expect the atheist to change their belief concerning evidence but you don't have to change your belief concerning evidence ..........HYPOTHETICALLY speaking ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 3:06:46 AM
At 11/1/2011 3:01:11 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 11/1/2011 2:57:17 AM, Crede wrote:

Oh ok, hypothetically speaking, in regards to your hypothetical situation...........

Seeing the HYPOTHETICALLY rapture has not happened are you willing to convert to atheism or at least a view that is HYPOTHETICALLY non Christian ? what no ? You HYPOTHETICALLY expect the atheist to change their belief concerning evidence but you don't have to change your belief concerning evidence ..........HYPOTHETICALLY speaking ?

...........why?.............

Here I'll give you the answer you want...I'm a crazy person with an I.Q. of 10, and I'm a Christian who doesn't listen to anybody, and I bounce around off of walls and hate science. I think what I'm told to think and everybody else is going to hell yeeeeaaaahhhhh! *high five*

Hope that satisfied you so please go find another thread to dirty up.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 3:09:08 AM
LOL, if you can't even taking a hypothetical critique of your hypothetical situation.................
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 3:12:13 AM
Why be mad, this is all hypothetical remember ? is it not ?
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 4:15:00 AM
Wow. It was just a question. There's nothing sadder than someone trying to prove their intelligence by acting like an idiot
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 5:17:59 AM
It would put me into somewhat of a quandry as there is no basis for the rapture in scripture at all and by then it is too late to convert anyway...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 7:51:38 AM

The problem I have with your scenario is the fact that I would know and recognize it as all of the missing people being Christian. Certainly there are a great deal of "Christians" who wouldn't be raptured, for whatever reason, and people whose religion I did not know that were raptured.

So there would necessarily be a period of time where I wouldn't recognize it as "All true Christians disappeared, thus Rapture!"

I will assume, though, for the benefit of the doubt, that the number of missing people is at least worthy of note. But my reaction would certainly depend on how many people went missing. Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? Billions?

I suppose certain clues might immediately point to a Christian Rapture, such as the entire Vatican (ha!) immediately becoming a Ghost town.

I guess I would seriously entertain the idea of Christianity being true and doing what I thought I needed to do to avoid punishment. I'd also seriously entertain the idea that I'm going crazy.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 7:52:11 AM
At 11/1/2011 4:15:00 AM, MarquisX wrote:
Wow. It was just a question. There's nothing sadder than someone trying to prove their intelligence by acting like an idiot

The point I was making is one who is already Christian would not need to convert...Also, there are three types of dispensationalism (those who hold to a Rapture) and if there is a rapture 2/3 of rapture believers are proved wrong. If all good are 'raptured" that's pre-millennial dispensationalism.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:07:16 PM
At 10/31/2011 11:58:51 PM, rogue wrote:

I completely agree.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:10:09 PM
At 10/31/2011 11:59:11 PM, rogue wrote:

Also this is a hypothetical question so please answer accordingly and not trollingly. :Thanks!

You would be scared as hell and you know it. Are you going to let the rocks cry out for you when this all goes down ? Im curious.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:11:26 PM
At 11/1/2011 1:10:09 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/31/2011 11:59:11 PM, rogue wrote:

You would be scared as hell and you know it. Are you going to let the rocks cry out for you when this all goes down ? Im curious.

Where in the bible does it predict the rapture and why do you assume you will be one of the ones taken?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:16:42 PM
This is an interesting question, Crede. one that i've been wondering myself. when it comes, the evil forces will continue to confuse and blind people into believing that they (the aliens, the government, whoever works for the devil) are the ones that can save everyone, help us evolve into a greater species. All you people have to remember is DONT let anyone put any chip on your forehead or right hand. be willing to die to stand for your moral values.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:33:02 PM
The problem I have with your scenario is the fact that I would know and recognize it as all of the missing people being Christian. Certainly there are a great deal of "Christians" who wouldn't be raptured, for whatever reason, and people whose religion I did not know that were raptured.

So there would necessarily be a period of time where I wouldn't recognize it as "All true Christians disappeared, thus Rapture!"

I will assume, though, for the benefit of the doubt, that the number of missing people is at least worthy of note. But my reaction would certainly depend on how many people went missing. Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? Billions?

I suppose certain clues might immediately point to a Christian Rapture, such as the entire Vatican (ha!) immediately becoming a Ghost town.

I guess I would seriously entertain the idea of Christianity being true and doing what I thought I needed to do to avoid punishment. I'd also seriously entertain the idea that I'm going crazy.

Exactly...the only thing anyone can come up with is that they think most of the missing are Christians...but there seems to be a large amount of Christians who aren't missing. And the number is in the millions...I'd say around 100 million or so (total estimate) world wide are just gone. You would never be able to for sure say all of them were Christians...but it does seem to be a common theme on the news for the missing.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:34:39 PM
At 11/1/2011 5:17:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
It would put me into somewhat of a quandry as there is no basis for the rapture in scripture at all and by then it is too late to convert anyway...

It's never to late.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:43:23 PM
I'm assuming you all know what the rapture is so I won't go into that. Lets say it happens...every Christian you know is all of a sudden missing, and everybody else is saying the same thing...millions of people worldwide just dissapear. Would you believe it was Aliens? Government conspiracy? Or would you convert to Christianity? Thought I'd ask in case it happens in our life time.:

Assuming it was only Christians, yes, that would be pretty indisputable in the realm of evidence.

But really, a question like this is loaded. The answer is self-evident. It would be like asking the "hypothetical" question:

If Jesus proved himself to you, would you believe in him?

Uh, obviously.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:47:33 PM
At 11/1/2011 1:33:02 PM, Crede wrote:

Exactly...the only thing anyone can come up with is that they think most of the missing are Christians...but there seems to be a large amount of Christians who aren't missing. And the number is in the millions...I'd say around 100 million or so (total estimate) world wide are just gone. You would never be able to for sure say all of them were Christians...but it does seem to be a common theme on the news for the missing.

I'd probably see a psychiatrist before I went to a priest.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 1:48:07 PM
At 11/1/2011 1:43:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm assuming you all know what the rapture is so I won't go into that. Lets say it happens...every Christian you know is all of a sudden missing, and everybody else is saying the same thing...millions of people worldwide just dissapear. Would you believe it was Aliens? Government conspiracy? Or would you convert to Christianity? Thought I'd ask in case it happens in our life time.:

Assuming it was only Christians, yes, that would be pretty indisputable in the realm of evidence.

But really, a question like this is loaded. The answer is self-evident. It would be like asking the "hypothetical" question:

If Jesus proved himself to you, would you believe in him?

Uh, obviously.

this is true, a lot of christians are in fact working for the other side. Just look at the pope!!! he's in the illuminati for sure. This is how it works to spread confusion among the believers.

http://www.google.com...

And plenty of people might be raptured who aren't even christians.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...