Jump to topic:

Was it really an apple?

EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:31:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
According to the bible Eve took fruit and eat it and then Adam ,right?
ok,then who the hell in humanity told anyone that the fruit was an apple?really!!!! red the text!!!it never says it's an apple!!!
who invented that?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:36:49 AM
You will find that most of the things they tell you in church are not biblical or at the very least come from a poor understanding of the texts.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:44:19 AM
At 11/1/2011 11:36:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You will find that most of the things they tell you in church are not biblical or at the very least come from a poor understanding of the texts.

so true. and the whole "Jonah eaten my a whale thing," isn't in the bible either. it is just a big fish.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:45:00 AM
At 11/1/2011 11:44:19 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
At 11/1/2011 11:36:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

so true. and the whole "Jonah eaten my a whale thing," isn't in the bible either. it is just a big fish.

People interpeted it as being a whale.
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 12:18:52 PM
No one knows if it was an apple or not. But a lot of painting depicting Eve eating the fruit shows an apple. So I suppose everyone just went with the idea it was an apple.
And the Bible doesn't say Jonah got swallowed by a whale, it says 'big' or 'great' fish. People just interpret things in different ways.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 12:23:11 PM
At 11/1/2011 11:31:08 AM, EmpiricalFact wrote:
ok,then who the hell in humanity told anyone that the fruit was an apple?really!!!! red the text!!!it never says it's an apple!!!
who invented that?

Doctors.

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

Ergo, by associating apples with evil, Doctors guarantee a steady stream of patients.

It's your typical BigPharm conspiracy.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 2:53:02 PM
At 11/1/2011 12:18:52 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
No one knows if it was an apple or not. But a lot of painting depicting Eve eating the fruit shows an apple. So I suppose everyone just went with the idea it was an apple.
And the Bible doesn't say Jonah got swallowed by a whale, it says 'big' or 'great' fish. People just interpret things in different ways.

Western adaptation and alteration of the text, apples don't even grow in the Middle East and Mesopotamia, it couldn't be an apple, if it was a fruit it would have to be something of that region. God can make crops grow during the wrong season, but I don't think he has ever introduced things from other parts of the world to one area...
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 5:15:32 PM
In Church they never, ever said it was an apple. Popular culture, art, and television typically depicts it as an apple, though it is not said and there is no way of knowing whether it was an apple they ate or a pear. That's the way things are and always will be. Common misconception.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 5:17:24 PM
who invented that?

I believe Isaac Newton was the first to preach about the forbidden fruit being an apple.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 10:42:38 PM
: At 11/1/2011 2:53:02 PM, Mikeee wrote:

Western adaptation and alteration of the text, apples don't even grow in the Middle East and Mesopotamia, it couldn't be an apple, if it was a fruit it would have to be something of that region. God can make crops grow during the wrong season, but I don't think he has ever introduced things from other parts of the world to one area...

I agree.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:25:25 PM
who invented that?

It does not say in the text specifically that Isiah himself was sawed in 2 while hiding in a log, but tradition has kept the belief that that is how he died alive. the same goes for the teaching that Paul was beheaded in Spain and Peter was crucified upside down even though there deaths are not rerecorded in scripture.

The apple thing has come mostly from artwork I think, although that is not exactly the same as saying its come from oral tradition that the fruit was an apple specifically, but the image of a red apple has specifically been used to allude to the fall of man in symbolic art.

Logically though the fruit would have to be somthing known to be local to the general area the garden of eden was thought to be located in (and that location is a debate in itself) and that's only assuming the fruit from that tree was one that's found elsewhere now, and that it was not exclusive to the garden of eden alone.

because the tree mentioned with it, the tree of eternal life, was set to be guarded by a flaming sword so that man could never eat from it, I'm inclined to think its found nowhere else or there would be no point in specifically guarding the garden. at least the the tree of life would be, but I think the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is as unique as that one.

I think tradition from artwork shows the tree of life to produce pears as its fruit.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 11:16:16 AM
who invented that?

Anything the church has ever done wrong in the name of God comes from exactly this . . . misinterpreting the text. Of the example of the apple has no bearing on anything but we are all sinful human beings and prone to wander.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 11:17:39 AM
At 11/1/2011 10:42:38 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
: At 11/1/2011 2:53:02 PM, Mikeee wrote:

I agree.

it was the Garden of Eden, all living things were there. . . it could very well have been an apple. . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss