Jump to topic:

Respecting beliefs

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 7:59:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This board seems to love the idea that beliefs ought to be respected. That is illogical and paradoxical. Herei s the paradox, the second you start telling people that beliefs ought to be respected, you are being disrespectful to the beliefs of those who don't think certain beliefs ought to be respectful. This argument is something I leared while looking into Christian apologetics. I first encountered it in the book: Reason for God by Timothy Keller and would later come across Josh Mcdowell making the same argument. For as bad as their theistic arguments are, this one makes sense.

Get over this ridiculous idea of beliefs ought to be respected and realize that is impossible so we ought to figure out which beliefs deserve respect. Those that do are certainly not unfounded nonsense beliefs that harm society by holding back intellectual progress.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:30:55 AM
At 11/2/2011 7:59:47 AM, izbo10 wrote:
This board seems to love the idea that beliefs ought to be respected. That is illogical and paradoxical. Herei s the paradox, the second you start telling people that beliefs ought to be respected, you are being disrespectful to the beliefs of those who don't think certain beliefs ought to be respectful. This argument is something I leared while looking into Christian apologetics. I first encountered it in the book: Reason for God by Timothy Keller and would later come across Josh Mcdowell making the same argument. For as bad as their theistic arguments are, this one makes sense.

Get over this ridiculous idea of beliefs ought to be respected and realize that is impossible so we ought to figure out which beliefs deserve respect. Those that do are certainly not unfounded nonsense beliefs that harm society by holding back intellectual progress.

so what do you propose to be done?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:34:13 AM
At 11/2/2011 9:30:55 AM, EmpiricalFact wrote:

He proposes that theists be shouted down, censored, marginalised, excluded and possibly herded into special camps. He wants you to make a case for respecting religion so he can rant at you like an enraged nazi.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:47:11 AM

thinking 'bout this i came to this conclusion.By stating that you find illogical and paradoxical the fact that people seem to like the idea of respecting other poeples beliefs,you are being,in part, paradoxical with your statement because you don't agree with the belief of people respecting other beliefs.so in the end it is redundant and pointless.
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:52:37 AM
At 11/2/2011 9:34:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

He proposes that theists be shouted down, censored, marginalised, excluded and possibly herded into special camps. He wants you to make a case for respecting religion so he can rant at you like an enraged nazi.

i agree with you cerebral!
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 10:54:30 AM
I don't respect lies. . . what is the point? I don't expect people to "respect" my beliefs. . . I expect them to respect me, as a human being and as an active part of society. Respect ought to be based on actions, not on faith . . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 11:57:01 AM
At 11/2/2011 9:47:11 AM, EmpiricalFact wrote:

thinking 'bout this i came to this conclusion.By stating that you find illogical and paradoxical the fact that people seem to like the idea of respecting other poeples beliefs,you are being,in part, paradoxical with your statement because you don't agree with the belief of people respecting other beliefs.so in the end it is redundant and pointless.

How is it paradoxical that I don't believe we can tolerate beliefs that are irrational and since the belief that we respect all beliefs is irrational we should not tolerate it. Perfectly in line. Good thing no one has accused you of being the brightest crayon in the box right?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.