Jump to topic:

Immortality

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 8:51:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lets assume that you believe or that someone proves to you there is no afterlife would you take an offer of immortality (from aliens or a supernatural being it does not matter).

Yes/No.

Would you still take this offer if it were pointed out to you that only you would be immortal, you will outlive everyone. Anyone you ever marry, any kids you ever have, they will all die. Only you will remain.

Yes/No.

Would you stiill take this offer if it could never be deactivated or given back. You will always live, you can not die.

Yes/No

And lastly what is your Religion (that is your current religion ignoring the hypothetical scenario in which the afterlife is disproven).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:08:04 AM
At 11/2/2011 8:51:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Lets assume that you believe or that someone proves to you there is no afterlife would you take an offer of immortality (from aliens or a supernatural being it does not matter).

Yes/No.

No

Would you still take this offer if it were pointed out to you that only you would be immortal, you will outlive everyone. Anyone you ever marry, any kids you ever have, they will all die. Only you will remain.

: Yes/No.
No.

Would you stiill take this offer if it could never be deactivated or given back. You will always live, you can not die.
Yes/No
No.

And lastly what is your Religion (that is your current religion ignoring the hypothetical scenario in which the afterlife is disproven).
Christian
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 9:12:54 AM

Yes/No.

Yes/No.

Yes/No

I didn't wanted to over think this but,you got me thinking lol.OK i personally would answer,YES to all of them,because at first sounds appealing.But then again,i could just imagine the loneliness and the desperation you would feel of seeing millenniums come through and no one to spend it with.You will see history in the making but you won't have anyone to share it with,because ultimately,anyone you love will perish. You will see life but (to me) you wont feel alive inside.you will have no purpose but to see history and see other enjoy what you gave away.I would rather die with my loved ones than to see them die.
My religion right now is Christianity.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 10:58:34 AM
I would, on one condition, I also gain eternal youth . . . wasn't there a Greek myth about this exact thing where a king gains immortality but eventually turns into a cricket because he had no youth?

I'm a Christian, however if the afterlife was disproved then I'd obviously have to change my belief.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 10:59:46 AM
I'd also like to note that you said nothing about commas. . . if I wanted to "die" i could simply put myself into constant sleep
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:19:36 PM
At 11/2/2011 10:58:34 AM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
I would, on one condition, I also gain eternal youth . . .

But I would go a step further and say an immunity to disease too.

It would suck to have eternal life, and then be infected with AIDS. It would suck to have eternal life while having a tumor that never stopped growing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:22:55 PM
Just to clarify this is eternal health, obviously should have made that clear. No immortal blobs of cancer or an eternity of aids. Assume you are remain fixed at a specific age and are invunerable/supernaturally lucky or whatever.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:25:44 PM
One other condition then...

I'd like to be able to choose when I die.

Seriously, if Earth exploded, it would kind of suck floating around in space for all eternity.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:29:31 PM
At 11/2/2011 12:25:44 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
One other condition then...

I'd like to be able to choose when I die.

Seriously, if Earth exploded, it would kind of suck floating around in space for all eternity.

Second question,
"Would you stiill take this offer if it could never be deactivated or given back. You will always live, you can not die."

Of course one issue is that in 100, 200 years everyone/most people will likely be genetically enhanced to the nth degree. You will likely end up shovelling sh1t with the descendants of Izbo as part of a slave caste... at best... assuming you can hide your immortality from the authorities.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:30:52 PM
Living as a slave is still living.

Floating around in space, that ain't living.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:31:33 PM
So yeah, if I couldn't deactivate it anytime I wanted, I wouldn't do it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:34:58 PM
At 11/2/2011 12:30:52 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Naah that kinda sucks... but you never know post destruction of earth you might find yourself in a plutonian whore pit.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:46:50 PM
At 11/2/2011 12:34:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Naah that kinda sucks... but you never know post destruction of earth you might find yourself in a plutonian whore pit.

I wonder what green women taste like... hmmm..
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 12:59:31 PM
At 11/2/2011 12:46:50 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Gooseberry...
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 3:04:19 PM
At 11/2/2011 12:59:31 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Gooseberry...

I don't think I would take it, death is necessary, my life would be valueless without knowing that I only have a certain amount of time to enjoy it.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 3:06:32 PM
At 11/2/2011 3:04:19 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Gooseberry...

I don't think I would take it, death is necessary, my life would be valueless without knowing that I only have a certain amount of time to enjoy it.

by the way in case anyone doesn't know I am a militant atheist.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 3:13:23 PM
At 11/2/2011 3:06:32 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Gooseberry...

1: Your life already is valueless.
2: You are a strawman parody atheist.
3: Don't presume to reply to me or post on my threads.
4: Fvck off.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 4:10:07 PM
At 11/2/2011 3:13:23 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/2/2011 3:06:32 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Gooseberry...

1: Your life already is valueless.
2: You are a strawman parody atheist.
3: Don't presume to reply to me or post on my threads.
4: Fvck off.

says the guy who is everything theists think a atheist is when they misrepresent us.

Diagoras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 4:24:00 PM

Yes/No.

Not sure. Surely you'll eventually get bored and driven to madness from it, but surely you can find ways to entertain yourself. Starting world wars, causing general drama in the world always generates entertainment.

Yes/No.

Same.

Yes/No

Well, if the previous options include the ability to turn it off when I wanted, then those others become possitive yeses and this becomes the maybe.

Atheist.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 4:28:13 PM

Yes/No.
Nope, unless if you mean mere immortality with eternal youth (or otherwise, the decrepitude of my body would just increase) or as some higher being...

The task of handling marriages??? :)

The task of handling marriages, children, and living by myself would be a burden, including the fact that I'd probably become weary of my longevity...So the answer is a no.

Yes/No
That would only increase the torture of having to live forever...It's probably better for people to learn to make their temporary lives worth living, rather than simply living forever and equating that with "happiness" or "bliss"...

I am an atheist, in spite of the accusations of a "certain memdiot".
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 4:29:24 PM

Gooseberry...

Thank you for answering the question. Now hopefully you learn to make use of that brief outburst of intelligence in this conversation.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:02:45 PM
If you were immortal, wouldn't that make you god (in a sense), and the things that gave you immortality could also possibly be god?

If you do not die, you do not exist, if existence is living, and it is only possible to live in the presence and possibility of death. Therefore by becoming immortal you have died, and are in the afterlife in which that coincides with the existence of living others?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:05:14 PM

Yes/No.

Yes/No.

Yes/No

No.

No.

No.

Christianity.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:25:08 PM

Yes/No.

No

Yes/No.

Extra no

Yes/No

Super no

Christian....

The eventual heat death of the universe that would be imminent if there was no devine intervention would make an eternity of...nothing...just you...I'd rather sleep in death then be crazy in an eternity of blackness and death.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:36:20 PM

Yes/No.

yes

Yes/No.

yes when my wife dies I get a new one and new kids.

Yes/No

OK

Christian
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:59:28 PM

Yes/No.

Immortality? What about physical degeneration? Will I remain the same age forever? What if my spine is broken; will I be crippled for eternity?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Diagoras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:06:39 PM
At 11/2/2011 5:02:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:
If you were immortal, wouldn't that make you god (in a sense), and the things that gave you immortality could also possibly be god?

If you do not die, you do not exist, if existence is living, and it is only possible to live in the presence and possibility of death. Therefore by becoming immortal you have died, and are in the afterlife in which that coincides with the existence of living others?

What the hell are you on about?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:37:28 PM
At 11/2/2011 5:59:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Yes/No.

Immortality? What about physical degeneration? Will I remain the same age forever? What if my spine is broken; will I be crippled for eternity?

You don't age and you avoid injury through invunerability and or luck.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:38:19 PM
At 11/2/2011 5:02:45 PM, Mikeee wrote:

You are alive now right... imagine that state not actually ending.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 7:01:58 PM

Interesting! The question is, can I die at all? As in, does immortality refer to the ability to live forever, or the requirement to live forever?

If I can live forever, but have the option to die if I please, then yes, I'd take it. If I absolutely cannot die, then no, I likely would not.

That wouldn't affect my decision.

No.

Christian.