Jump to topic:

A Question too hard to answer?

EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:54:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As a Christian, I often get overwhelmed by questions from atheist,so I am used to being asked questions related to God and christianism .I have been asked by atheist who don't know what they are talking about to Atheist with doctorates in humanitarian studies , physicist and very good theologist playing as devils advocate as they say.I have answered the common most asked questions by atheist but in this particular case I want a question that challenges me ,something that shakes me from my seat.something so complex that I can't answer. Convert me into an atheist lol.
P.S. Don't bring me the generic questions and paradoxes that everyone discusses everywhere, I want something new yet challenging.keep in mind that I won't start a discussion here or anything about questions you guys post I just want to be confronted with a really hard question.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 1:48:23 PM
Your English is terrible, what is it you are asking? For us to invent a new question that no theist can address whilst ignoring all the existing ones that no theist can address?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 2:20:28 PM
At 11/3/2011 12:54:43 PM, EmpiricalFact wrote:
As a Christian, I often get overwhelmed by questions from atheist,so I am used to being asked questions related to God and christianism .I have been asked by atheist who don't know what they are talking about to Atheist with doctorates in humanitarian studies , physicist and very good theologist playing as devils advocate as they say.I have answered the common most asked questions by atheist but in this particular case I want a question that challenges me ,something that shakes me from my seat.something so complex that I can't answer. Convert me into an atheist lol.
P.S. Don't bring me the generic questions and paradoxes that everyone discusses everywhere, I want something new yet challenging.keep in mind that I won't start a discussion here or anything about questions you guys post I just want to be confronted with a really hard question.

You will never understand. Why cant you see this.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 2:25:53 PM
At 11/3/2011 2:20:28 PM, inferno wrote:

You will never understand. Why cant you see this.

So you despise both atheists and christians?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 2:40:35 PM
Why would anyone want to convert you?

If you believe in things that are ridiculous, that makes you a schmuck.. The economy is fueled by schmucks.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 2:44:22 PM

This isnt my attempt at a question that will shake you, but an attempt to get an idea of what you are looking for.

What COULD someone do to convince you you are wrong about Christianity? What would you expect to be different about the world if God didnt exist?
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 2:53:29 PM

What is your proof or evidence for the existence of your god? That ought to stump you, in otherwords how do you meet your burden of proof for your positive claim that god exists?

The most basic of questions, but always stumps theists.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 3:12:54 PM
At 11/3/2011 2:53:29 PM, izbo10 wrote:

What is your proof or evidence for the existence of your god? That ought to stump you, in otherwords how do you meet your burden of proof for your positive claim that god exists?

The most basic of questions, but always stumps theists.

How to God come into existence?
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:26:41 PM
At 11/3/2011 3:57:18 PM, Diagoras wrote:
Shockingly, no answers yet. I currently see no point in adding a question to the waiting list.

Hi, i said in the P.S that i wont start discussions about the questions you guys post I just wanted to see some hard questions that leave me thinking,that's all.Oh and you guys have posted really good questions.
Thank you
EmpiricalFact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:32:08 PM
At 11/3/2011 1:48:23 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Your English is terrible, what is it you are asking? For us to invent a new question that no theist can address whilst ignoring all the existing ones that no theist can address?

Cerebral,I apologize for my English since i don't come from an English speaking country. All I'm asking is for a hard question that stumps me,something hard to answer as a Christian.
Thank you-
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:38:59 PM
It's an interesting request. It seems unlikely that you would have not heard all the best arguments - unless you haven't read a book on atheism - which you might want to.

Anyway, one I like to sometimes ask is: Why beleive in Yahweh over the thousands of other gods on offer. What evidence is there for Yahweh and not Zues or Thor. Wouldn't Yahweh have just vanished into history if it weren't for the Roman empire expanding into the right places at the right time.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:41:14 PM
Let's say that, if you are born in Texas, you have a 95% of becoming Christian.

If you are born in Tehran, you have an 95% of becoming Muslim.

If two identical twins are born, one in Tehran and one Texas, and it turns out Christianity is right,the Tehran twin goes to hell.

If the twins were switched, the other would go to heaven. The knowledge and learning environment (all christian/all muslim) along with access (some muslim countries don't allow christian teaching) would be a major determinant in choosing religion.

Does God take geography and society into account when determining whether someone burns in hell for eternity?

Or does God assign us to the pit based on sperm roulette and say that "oh, that kid in Tehran should just naturally be in that 5% category and he should burn otherwise?"

Note, both children are aware of the existence of both religions.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:41:17 PM
At 11/3/2011 4:32:08 PM, EmpiricalFact wrote:
At 11/3/2011 1:48:23 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Cerebral,I apologize for my English since i don't come from an English speaking country. All I'm asking is for a hard question that stumps me,something hard to answer as a Christian.
Thank you-

Why do you feel that any answer is better than no answer?

Answering a question is easy, being right in your answer is hard.. But the hardest thing in the world sometimes can be admitting that you do not know.

Most religious claims fall outside of what is possible to know, and belief in such things is always going to be a bigger leap of faith than the alternative, which is not believing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 8:18:24 PM
At 11/3/2011 4:41:14 PM, Wnope wrote:

If two identical twins are born, one in Tehran and one Texas, and it turns out Christianity is right,the Tehran twin goes to hell.

If the twins were switched, the other would go to heaven. The knowledge and learning environment (all christian/all muslim) along with access (some muslim countries don't allow christian teaching) would be a major determinant in choosing religion.

Does God take geography and society into account when determining whether someone burns in hell for eternity?

Or does God assign us to the pit based on sperm roulette and say that "oh, that kid in Tehran should just naturally be in that 5% category and he should burn otherwise?"

If you believe predestination God dident want him and pourpously kept him from becoming Christian. Thats not what I believe though.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 8:41:48 PM

If God appeared to you right now and ordered you to go rape the nearest baby, would you do it? And would it be morally right, morally wrong, or have no moral import?
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 8:58:55 PM
At 11/3/2011 4:38:59 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It's an interesting request. It seems unlikely that you would have not heard all the best arguments - unless you haven't read a book on atheism - which you might want to.

Anyway, one I like to sometimes ask is: Why beleive in Yahweh over the thousands of other gods on offer. What evidence is there for Yahweh and not Zues or Thor. Wouldn't Yahweh have just vanished into history if it weren't for the Roman empire expanding into the right places at the right time.

Would you like to debate the spread of Christianity could have only happened with the support of the Romans?
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:01:59 PM
When Moses brought the ten commandments down from the mountain that say to the people "thou shall not kill"... Why did he smash the tablets and then order people to kill each other?

(I know it's because they were worshiping a golden calf... but seriously wtf? The guy who brought down the ten commandments broke one before even delivering them to people).
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:43:23 PM

That was pretty good.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:48:29 PM
At 11/3/2011 8:58:55 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 11/3/2011 4:38:59 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Would you like to debate the spread of Christianity could have only happened with the support of the Romans?

I couldn't do a historical debate like that without first doing a lot of research and I'm spread a little thin lately. Thanks for the offer though.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:37:03 AM
At 11/3/2011 2:40:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Why would anyone want to convert you?

If you believe in things that are ridiculous, that makes you a schmuck.. The economy is fueled by schmucks.

Schmuckanomics ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:50:07 AM
If you could live forever, how many thousands of years without a Rapture would it take before you give up?

If heaven is so great, why do people still fear death?

Why do Mark, John, and Paul fail to mention the virgin birth in their accounts of Jesus?

How do you know God didn't speak to Muhammad?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:54:07 AM
How do you know the gospels aren't just made up?

How do you know that: Mary didn't lie about being a virgin; Jesus didn't lie about being the son of God, and all of the "miracles" he performed weren't just lame magic tricks?

Honestly, what woman HASN'T lied about being a virgin? And we have more impressive "miracles" being performed today by Penn & Teller. Water into wine, pfff.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 12:59:39 PM

Note, both children are aware of the existence of both religions.:

Great question. I don't have much hope for it being answered at all, and even if it is answered, I fully expect ridiculous mental gymnastics to rescue God from the role of tyrrant.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 2:27:19 PM

This largely depends on what a Christians views of salvation and hell are. I don't think this thought experiment necessarily has any force against a Christian inclusivist or universalist and I'm not even entirely sure an exclusivist couldn't appeal to something like this:

http://www.leaderu.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 8:13:57 AM

I would not ask you a fuckin thing. You are an idiot.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:09:40 PM
unfortunately the questions have for the most part all been asked (and answered a thousand different ways i might add) . . . having a "new" questions is all but impossible. . . the so called "new" ideas are simply remakes of the same questions Aristotle pondered over two millennium ago.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:12:46 PM
At 11/7/2011 8:13:57 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

I would not ask you a fuckin thing. You are an idiot.

insightful . .. I'm sure everyone on this forum topic has been challenged by the obvious genius of your comment . . . please, do expound . . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 6:41:19 PM
Bumpity-bump... Please answer.

If God appeared to you right now and ordered you to go rape the nearest baby, would you do it? And would it be morally right, morally wrong, or have no moral import?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 8:41:20 AM

If you were born in an isolated, rural town in the Middle East, never being exposed to the western world and its religions or philosophies, specfically the Bible and Jesus, would you still have become a Christian? Would God have sent you to hell if not?