Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for Atheists

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:45:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.usatoday.com...

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.

2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)

3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)

4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)

5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)

6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)

7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)

8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)

9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)

10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:57:59 PM
The commandments are pretty philosophically and ethically baseless, though it is nice for popular atheists to spread the word about how we're not all murderous heathens and a sense of value and duty is not religion-exclusive.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:09:22 PM
Jillette's one of those "pop" atheists who I sometimes like listening to on youtube just to see him kind of go off on something. He strikes me as a person who thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is. I'm suspicious of atheists who take that belief system and obsess over it *cough izbo.*
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:13:24 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:09:22 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Jillette's one of those "pop" atheists who I sometimes like listening to on youtube just to see him kind of go off on something. He strikes me as a person who thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is. I'm suspicious of atheists who take that belief system and obsess over it *cough izbo.*

He reminds me of Dawkins. An atheist who doesn't contribute to the illumination of any substantive ethical system(and if they do it's usually fairly hollow i.e. Harris) but rails against theistic conceptions of morality.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:16:25 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:13:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/3/2011 11:09:22 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

He reminds me of Dawkins. An atheist who doesn't contribute to the illumination of any substantive ethical system(and if they do it's usually fairly hollow i.e. Harris) but rails against theistic conceptions of morality.

I'm sympathetic to Harris, and while I haven't read Dawkins I have watched him. At least Dawkins is a biologist and approaching philosophy from a respectable field; Jillette approaches it from...magic. I can't comment extensively on Dawkins, I don't watch him much but Harris really knows his neuroscience.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:25:41 PM
At 11/3/2011 10:45:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com...

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.

2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)

3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)

4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)

5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)

6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)

7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)

8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)

9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)

10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.

Was this an attempt to compare to the 10 Commandments in an effort to seem morally superior? The words and ideas there don't seem as powerful (except perhaps for #8, #9...etc..in other words the actual 10 Commandments...)

It reminded me of Joseph Smith who was under criticism by some about his writing style...then he challenged anyone to try to make a commandment!...and if they couldn't make one like he was (being given scriptures from God) then they were not justified in not believing the true scriptures....Here is what he wrote:

(from Doctrine and Covenants ch. 67)
Now, seek ye out of the Book of Commandments, even the least that is among them, and appoint him that is the most wise among you;

7 Or, if there be any among you that shall make one like unto it, then ye are justified in saying that ye do not know that they are true;

8 But if ye cannot make one like unto it, ye are under condemnation if ye do not bear record that they are true.

9 For ye know that there is no unrighteousness in them, and that which is righteous cometh down from above, from the Father of lights

--------------------
...now to me (in my opinion) the 10 from Penn Jillette are not 'like unto it'...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:35:45 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:25:41 PM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:

Was this an attempt to compare to the 10 Commandments in an effort to seem morally superior? The words and ideas there don't seem as powerful (except perhaps for #8, #9...etc..in other words the actual 10 Commandments...)

It reminded me of Joseph Smith who was under criticism by some about his writing style...then he challenged anyone to try to make a commandment!...and if they couldn't make one like he was (being given scriptures from God) then they were not justified in not believing the true scriptures....Here is what he wrote:

(from Doctrine and Covenants ch. 67)
Now, seek ye out of the Book of Commandments, even the least that is among them, and appoint him that is the most wise among you;

7 Or, if there be any among you that shall make one like unto it, then ye are justified in saying that ye do not know that they are true;

8 But if ye cannot make one like unto it, ye are under condemnation if ye do not bear record that they are true.

9 For ye know that there is no unrighteousness in them, and that which is righteous cometh down from above, from the Father of lights

--------------------
...now to me (in my opinion) the 10 from Penn Jillette are not 'like unto it'...

Penn isn't claiming to have scriptures from God. They're just general thoughts on conduct that seem prima facie more theoretically valuable than the Biblical Ten Commandments. The Biblical Ten Commandments spend a lot of time on who and how to worship while Penn's focus on human interactions and a method for general social harmony. I don't think either are necessarily right(they both say some good stuff) but I think if I were to make a religion I would use Penn's over God's lol.
: