Jump to topic:

Christianity is NOT a religion

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:10:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There seems to be a desire among those who post here to make Christianity a religion, it is not. It is true that all Anglicans are Christian, however not all Christians are Anglican. In order to be a Christian one MUST accept that the person Jesus of the scripture is God and the messiah hoped for in Judaism. There are a few religions which have this as a tenant of their faith, but certainly not all who claim the title Christian. There are many who claim to be christian but are not because they do not accept this sine qua non of Christianity.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:20:55 AM
At 11/4/2011 6:10:51 AM, logicrules wrote:
There seems to be a desire among those who post here to make Christianity a religion, it is not. It is true that all Anglicans are Christian, however not all Christians are Anglican. In order to be a Christian one MUST accept that the person Jesus of the scripture is God and the messiah hoped for in Judaism. There are a few religions which have this as a tenant of their faith, but certainly not all who claim the title Christian. There are many who claim to be christian but are not because they do not accept this sine qua non of Christianity.

In what sense is Christianity not a religion? Christian is the broad religious category, anglican is the sub set.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:39:03 AM
At 11/4/2011 6:20:55 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

In what sense is Christianity not a religion? Christian is the broad religious category, anglican is the sub set.

Genus, species, specific difference (family).....Gorilla gorilla gorilla. Anglican is a subset, as such a religion. Christianity is a broad classification of many religions, each of which has its own theology(ies) and tenants of Belief. Thus Unitarians and Greek Orthodox are both Christian. No genus is a religion because it contains many religions.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:41:25 AM
At 11/4/2011 6:39:03 AM, logicrules wrote:

Genus, species, specific difference (family).....Gorilla gorilla gorilla. Anglican is a subset, as such a religion. Christianity is a broad classification of many religions, each of which has its own theology(ies) and tenants of Belief. Thus Unitarians and Greek Orthodox are both Christian. No genus is a religion because it contains many religions.

You do realise you are p1ssing on the English language.

Christian is a religion, Protestant, Catholic, Mormon are all religions. If this makes you unhappy then that is your problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:44:31 AM

You must have some need for that to be so.

"Make the lie big, say it often and the people will believe it."....Hitler
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:47:35 AM
If we can't refer to Christianity as a Religion because it is a broad religious category then we can't call Islam, Judaisim, Hinduism, Bhuddism or Satanism religions either.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 7:19:00 AM
At 11/4/2011 6:47:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
If we can't refer to Christianity as a Religion because it is a broad religious category then we can't call Islam, Judaisim, Hinduism, Bhuddism or Satanism religions either.

Well, perhaps but now you're into sociological constructs not theological. American Patriotism is a religion in your construct. Buddhist would probably not classify themselves as a religion. Judaism has Three branches but SHARE the same core beliefs. (Christians used to be Jews) Does satanism have a theology?
What the heck...lets just call every group a religion, feminists, Democrats, Republicans, Sufi, Lawyers, any group with a set of rules governing their actions.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 7:23:08 AM
At 11/4/2011 7:19:00 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 11/4/2011 6:47:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Well, perhaps but now you're into sociological constructs not theological. American Patriotism is a religion in your construct.

How so?

Buddhist would probably not classify themselves as a religion.

Well they do.

Judaism has Three branches but SHARE the same core beliefs. (Christians used to be Jews)

Christians did not use to be Jews, seriously... anyway the 26,000 branches of Christianity all share at least one belief.

Does satanism have a theology?
What the heck...lets just call every group a religion, feminists, Democrats, Republicans, Sufi, Lawyers, any group with a set of rules governing their actions.

Yea... why?

Lets just call a religion a religion?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 7:31:20 AM
There seems to be a desire among those who post here to make Christianity a religion, it is not.

Looks like a religion, sounds like a religion, smells like a religion.........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 8:51:48 AM
At 11/4/2011 7:31:20 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There seems to be a desire among those who post here to make Christianity a religion, it is not.

So you agree it is an inference based on subjectivity?
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 9:11:21 AM
At 11/4/2011 6:41:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Christian is a religion, Protestant, Catholic, Mormon are all religions. If this makes you unhappy then that is your problem.

I agree but for cerebral to say someone is pissing on the English language when he doesn't realize reason and reasonable are based onthe same damn thing is truly pathetic.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 10:51:48 AM
At 11/4/2011 8:51:48 AM, logicrules wrote:

Do you not know what language is?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 10:52:20 AM
At 11/4/2011 9:11:21 AM, izbo10 wrote:

I agree but for cerebral to say someone is pissing on the English language when he doesn't realize reason and reasonable are based onthe same damn thing is truly pathetic.

Where did I say that?
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 2:31:27 PM

If any point here is valid, then I think you are confusing Christianity with Catholicism. If what you described is true, you are claiming Catholicism is not a religion because it is to broad of a view, which does not mean it still cannot be a religion; there are straight up Muslims, and then there are Muslim Sunnis, Muslin Shiites, and Muslim Sufi, all of which are a subset of Muslim...

For Catholicism it is similar;

Christian, Protestant, Mormon, Lutheran , etc. are all sub-religions to the main branch of Catholicism, Christianity just has different believes, such as that the bread and wine is actually Jesus blood and wine (every Sunday), while other sects only believe that it is just symbolic. The follow the same basic teachings, but have different views on some subjects. All Christians are Catholic, but not all Catholics are Christian, just because this is true does not make no considered an "actual religion".
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 2:39:57 PM
At 11/4/2011 2:31:27 PM, Mikeee wrote:

If any point here is valid, then I think you are confusing Christianity with Catholicism. If what you described is true, you are claiming Catholicism is not a religion because it is to broad of a view, which does not mean it still cannot be a religion; there are straight up Muslims, and then there are Muslim Sunnis, Muslin Shiites, and Muslim Sufi, all of which are a subset of Muslim...

Christian, Protestant, Mormon, Lutheran , etc. are all sub-religions to the main branch of Catholicism, Christianity just has different believes, such as that the bread and wine is actually Jesus blood and wine (every Sunday), while other sects only believe that it is just symbolic. The follow the same basic teachings, but have different views on some subjects. All Christians are Catholic, but not all Catholics are Christian, just because this is true does not make no considered an "actual religion".

Actually true Catholics are Greek Orthodox.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 2:45:29 PM
At 11/4/2011 2:39:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Don't you mean a sect of Roman Catholic, opposed to Easter Orthodox? (I might be misinterpreting...)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:18:26 PM
At 11/4/2011 2:45:29 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 11/4/2011 2:39:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Don't you mean a sect of Roman Catholic, opposed to Easter Orthodox? (I might be misinterpreting...)

The original Church was Catholic, the Roman Catholics broke away.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:29:50 PM

In order to be a Christian one MUST accept that the person Jesus of the scripture is God and the messiah hoped for in Judaism. There are a few religions which have this as a tenant of their faith, but certainly not all who claim the title Christian.

Example of a so-called Christian denomination that does not accept this tenant?

There are many who claim to be christian but are not because they do not accept this sine qua non of Christianity.

Which would make them of a non-Christian religion. That doesn't mean that Christianity itself is not a religion.

Christianity is undoubtedly a religion - there are different denominations of Christianity, but it is certainly a religion. Saying that Christianity is not a religion, but (for example) Catholicism is a religion is like saying that dogs are not canines, but Border Collies are.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:30:09 PM
At 11/4/2011 7:23:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Christians did not use to be Jews, seriously...

LOL. this
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:31:56 PM
At 11/4/2011 9:11:21 AM, izbo10 wrote:

Um, but "The Critique of Pure Reasonableness" doesn't have the same ring to it...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Diagoras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:35:11 PM
At 11/4/2011 6:44:31 AM, logicrules wrote:

You must have some need for that to be so.

"Make the lie big, say it often and the people will believe it."....Hitler

You just described your religion.

Here's an easy way to figure it out. Go find a dictionary, perferibly a thick heavy one. Then, look up "religion," then smack yourself in the head with the dictionary until you learn to put 2 and 2 together.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:13:25 PM

Christian is a religion, Protestant, Catholic,
Mormon are all religions. If this makes you unhappy then that is your problem.

Morminism is a cult. Not Christianity.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:16:23 PM
At 11/4/2011 2:31:27 PM, Mikeee wrote:

How many times do I have to say it ! Morminism is a cult not christanity !
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:20:17 PM
At 11/4/2011 8:51:48 AM, logicrules wrote:

What is your criteria for what makes something a "religion" then ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:23:22 PM
Cult: a religion that has yet to hit some critical mass.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:25:46 PM
At 11/4/2011 4:23:22 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I was thinking about sigging this, but I feel like my signature should be appropriated to a wall of shame.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Diagoras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:17:18 PM
At 11/4/2011 4:23:22 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Or, religion: a really big cult that is, for some reason, socially acceptable.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:22:28 PM
At 11/4/2011 4:13:25 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:

Christian is a religion, Protestant, Catholic,
Mormon are all religions. If this makes you unhappy then that is your problem.

Morminism is a cult. Not Christianity.

Whether or not something is a cult or not is immaterial to whether or not it is a religion, cult also has two meanings. The neutral and the perjorative. In the latter case cult does not apply, members are free to leave without fear of coercion.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:44:45 PM
True, but they are completely shunned from their community.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 6:46:29 PM
Also, in some of the high profile polygamist communities, it's not so clear that people are allowed to freely leave.