Jump to topic:

A question for the religion forum

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:09:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have a very simple question that I'm hoping there is a short and simple answer to or an explanation for.

"Why is there so much interest and debate and bandwidth being committed towards debating and discussing religion?"

I don't get it.

We live in a country (those in the U.S.) where we are free to believe or not believe anything we want to where religion is concerned. It's up to the individual.

So for those who have the ability (and the online history) of being able to discuss and debate it ad nauseam....

I would juts like to know what your motivations are as I have little to no interest in abortion debates to start with.... and even LESS so after reading some of the discussions that have already been posted.

P.S. Does anyone else feel the same way about it that I do?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:35:43 PM
At 11/5/2011 8:09:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
I have a very simple question that I'm hoping there is a short and simple answer to or an explanation for.

"Why is there so much interest and debate and bandwidth being committed towards debating and discussing religion?"

I don't get it.

We live in a country (those in the U.S.) where we are free to believe or not believe anything we want to where religion is concerned. It's up to the individual.

So for those who have the ability (and the online history) of being able to discuss and debate it ad nauseam....

I would juts like to know what your motivations are as I have little to no interest in abortion debates to start with.... and even LESS so after reading some of the discussions that have already been posted.

What people believe has consequences. Some people fly planes into buildings because killing the infidel will get them a very pleasant after life.

Some people believe homosexuals should be killed cause God tells them too.

Some people believe that they should blow up an abortion clinic cause God tells them that its nothing but a baby killing factory and a few cells is the same as a human being.

Some tell children that they are born very sick, with an invisible disease, the disease of sin, and unless they believe certain things will be tormented for ever and ever in the after life.

Some tell children the earth is around 6,000 years old cause they have determined that a holy book (through some of their own math equations) tells them so.

People have killed other people cause they thought the other person was possessed by a demon/satan and thus could cast spells bringing evil on them.

Some people think earth quakes, hurricanes etc are caused by God punishing various sins like homosexuals or women not wearing head to toe covering..............but never the rich and powerful of course just the gays and feminists.

These people, these things that are believed influence what kind of society we live in............care yet ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:45:24 PM
At 11/5/2011 8:35:43 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I don't get it.

What people believe has consequences. Some people fly planes into buildings because killing the infidel will get them a very pleasant after life.

Some people believe that they should blow up an abortion clinic cause God tells them that its nothing but a baby killing factory and a few cells is the same as a human being.

Some tell children that they are born very sick, with an invisible disease, the disease of sin, and unless they believe certain things will be tormented for ever and ever in the after life.

Some tell children the earth is around 6,000 years old cause they have determined that a holy book (through some of their own math equations) tells them so.

People have killed other people cause they thought the other person was possessed by a demon/satan and thus could cast spells bringing evil on them.

Some people think earth quakes, hurricanes etc are caused by God punishing various sins like homosexuals or women not wearing head to toe covering..............but never the rich and powerful of course just the gays and feminists.

These people, these things that are believed influence what kind of society we live in............care yet ?

Meh.

Not really.

At least not enough to delve into religious discussion and debates about any of it.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:51:27 PM
It's fun to debate, I want to convince people (don't ask me why), and it helps me check if my beliefs are sound. The same could be said for debating almost anything- after all, what are the odds that a debate on DDO is going to end abortion or legalize gay marriage?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:51:45 PM
At 11/5/2011 8:45:24 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Meh.

Not really.

At least not enough to delve into religious discussion and debates about any of it.

Yet you care enough to post on a religious forum telling other people how much you don't care about religious things.......................
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:01:00 PM
At 11/5/2011 8:51:45 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Meh.

Not really.

Yet you care enough to post on a religious forum telling other people how much you don't care about religious things.......................

I came, I saw, I asked and I (will likely) move on....

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:03:12 PM
At 11/5/2011 8:51:27 PM, seraine wrote:
It's fun to debate, I want to convince people (don't ask me why), and it helps me check if my beliefs are sound. The same could be said for debating almost anything- after all, what are the odds that a debate on DDO is going to end abortion or legalize gay marriage?

I can appreciate this point, I suppose.

Though, I don't debate abortion because I think doing so will "end it." I debate abortion because i think human rights are being denied and children are being unjustly killed.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:05:31 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:03:12 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Though, I don't debate abortion because I think doing so will "end it." I debate abortion because i think human rights are being denied and children are being unjustly killed.

Do you think any abortion is murder ? say for example 1 day after conception ?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:10:29 PM
What Illegal combatant said, plus the flip-side - if religious people are right, there would be serious consequences for dudes and dudettes in the afterlife.
Also an example of how large amounts of discussion is generated; take Christians - we believe (well a certain percentage of us) that those who haven't accepted Jesus as their saviour will go to hell. This motivates us to pro-actively convince anyone we can. Now atheists and non-apathatic agnostics often take exception to this and argue their side. This causes the Christians to try harder. This causes the atheists to try harder. The curve be exponential bro.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:10:46 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:05:31 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Though, I don't debate abortion because I think doing so will "end it." I debate abortion because I think human rights are being denied and children are being unjustly killed.

As I understand it, a person doesn't even know they are pregnant until much later than that, so your question is a bit odd.

Do I think any abortions are murders?

Yes. I do.

In fact, I believe that the vast majority of them are.

But I digress. I didn't start this thread to discuss or to debate abortion.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:15:13 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:10:46 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/5/2011 9:05:31 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Though, I don't debate abortion because I think doing so will "end it." I debate abortion because I think human rights are being denied and children are being unjustly killed.

As I understand it, a person doesn't even know they are pregnant until much later than that, so your question is a bit odd.

Yes. I do.

And I bet you support using government power to stop any abortion. In other words the woman gets no choice in the matter.

Now this goes back to the whole, why do people debate such things..........
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:26:31 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:15:13 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yes. I do.

And I bet you support using government power to stop any abortion. In other words the woman gets no choice in the matter.

You would lose that bet.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:32:09 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:26:31 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Yes. I do.

You would lose that bet.

Oh really ? Then you are a rare breed. So you believe that any abortion is murder, but the woman should still be allowed an abortion if she chooses too ?
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:44:05 PM
To religious people (the vast majority) the most important thing to exist is God. People talk, die and rage about it for this simple reason.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:56:41 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:32:09 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yes. I do.

You would lose that bet.

Oh really ? Then you are a rare breed. So you believe that any abortion is murder, but the woman should still be allowed an abortion if she chooses too ?

Please show me where I said that "any" (meaning all) abortions are murders.

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:59:16 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:44:05 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
To religious people (the vast majority) the most important thing to exist is God. People talk, die and rage about it for this simple reason.

Now, that I suppose makes the most sense.

A lot of people acting on their most compelling beliefs and fears.

Thank's ZET.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:01:25 PM
At 11/5/2011 9:56:41 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Yes. I do.

You would lose that bet.

Yes I thought you mean't any (as in all) abortions are murder.

Okey so you don't believe all abortions are murder then.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:52:15 PM
At 11/5/2011 11:01:25 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 11/5/2011 9:56:41 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Yes. I do.

You would lose that bet.

Yes I thought you mean't any (as in all) abortions are murder.

Okey so you don't believe all abortions are murder then.

Nope.

I sure don't.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:13:43 AM
The religious forum is by far the dumbest forum.

That's part of the appeal though. Nothing strokes your ego cock more than going on the religious forum and realizing that the great majority of the people who post on it are retarded nerds.

I used to be a big religious nerd, it was an important part of my upbringing.. So when I post, I try to get people to keep it real. However, I am not dumb enough to think for a second that anything I say gets through to the pinheads who inhabit the forum. It's basically all personal entertainment for me.

Even now, I'm very close to the church, despite my very anti-church opinions. Religion makes me physically ill, and I'm pretty much convinced that the people who buy into that sh!t have made the conscious choice of becoming schmucks. The younger blokes are forgiven, because it takes a lot to escape the shackles of indoctrination...

But if you've had life experience, and have had enough time to really experience how things are in the world, I automatically do not trust you if you are religious. You can call it a prejudice, but I'm even patient with these people as I am fully aware of how you can do mental gymnastics in order to be able to put a label on yourself.. I consider any life experienced theist to be dishonest and possibly mentally ill. I have little respect for their kind.

I do have sympathy for those who have had their development stunted due to substance abuse however, and have used religion as a means to get out of it. To me, even though they have had life experience, they are still... As I said, retarded in their intellectual progress. They are forgiven, but there comes a point to where they have to be able to at least figure out that what they believe doesn't make any sense.

I do have some hate towards the religious, and it is only because I(possibly very wrongly) assume that other human beings are capable of of seeing these things as being obviously false. In my mind, those who feign religiousness are rightly punished in the end. They all fall short of their standards, and they suffer for it greatly. In my experience, the more religious someone claims to be, the more full of sh!t and miserable they are. I have a sick satisfaction in knowing so. They completely deserve their hell. I have no sympathy for those who persist in self deceit.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
reasonable75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:51:26 AM
At 11/5/2011 8:35:43 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I don't get it.

Meh.

Not really.

I'm baffled at how you couldn't care... Unfortunately too many people share your opinion. If we don't care about attempting to create a better society then what do we care about?
"There's a false assumption about science operating here. Science is not in principle committed to the idea that there's no after-life, or that the mind is identical to the brain, or that materialism is true. Science is completely open to whatever in fact is true." - Sam Harris

jimtimmy wrote:
"Look at me look at me look at me! I am a scary racist... trololololol. Oh noes somene is holding me to account for my sh1t."

Cerebral_Narcissist: "Cool story bro."
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 3:04:06 AM

I don't get it.

There's a bunch of other forums on this site.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:43:27 AM

I don't get it.

Because we live in a country where religious retards let their children die do to belief that prayer works(ignoring medicine). We live in a country where when we are trying to get needed supplies to areas where disaster has just hit and religitards instead stock pile bibles when the supplies being sent in could be food and water. We live in a country where missionaries can run around bragging about going over to third world countries and chopping off body parts of small children for no reason. We live in a country where people are denied equal rights because some jackass's with a book think their love is sin. We live in a country where 2000 people were struck dead by a few religious nuts with planes in 2001. We live in a country where a large percentage of our population deny evolutionary biology, which is a leading science of medicine. I could go on and on, why discuss delusion again? I don't believe you should be free to have any belief you want in religion. I think it should be taught in school, only the facts, religion makes truth claims, our education system teaches truth, if the religious truth claim is false our schools should be free to teach it.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:22:10 AM
At 11/6/2011 6:24:52 AM, logicrules wrote:
By all means let us do all we can to conserve bandwidth as part of our living Green.

LOL!

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:24:36 AM
Thanks for your posts.

At least now I have a better feeling that my decision to keep my distance from this forum is the right one for me.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:26:48 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:24:36 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Thanks for your posts.

At least now I have a better feeling that my decision to keep my distance from this forum is the right one for me.

yeah trying to fight all those wrongs in the name of religious ignorance is such a bad thing, you wouldn't want to do that.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:32:27 AM
Thanks for your posts.

Haha... probably quite sensible...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:45:07 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:26:48 AM, izbo10 wrote:
Thanks for your posts.

yeah trying to fight all those wrongs in the name of religious ignorance is such a bad thing, you wouldn't want to do that.

Izbo,.. it's a fact that (at least in the US) people have a right to any religious belief they want to entertain. They (we) also have the Constitutional right to speak, assemble and to petition the government for a 'redress of grievances'

Unless you can amend the Constitution and remove the peoples right to all that^, pissing and moaning about it is (to me) futile.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:47:48 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:45:07 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/6/2011 11:26:48 AM, izbo10 wrote:
Thanks for your posts.

Izbo,.. it's a fact that (at least in the US) people have a right to any religious belief they want to entertain. They (we) also have the Constitutional right to speak, assemble and to petition the government for a 'redress of grievances'

Unless you can amend the Constitution and remove the peoples right to all that^, pissing and moaning about it is (to me) futile.

If you are not a militant atheist attacking every aspect of religion regardless of how inconsequential or benign it may you have no right to live in the Izbionic Reich.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:15:14 PM

I don't get it.

It is debated "ad nauseum" because the secular population does not want the religious population to use their faith in god and the moral values that go with faith and religion to be used in any decision making process about anything, social policy financial policy all issues affecting all people. People of faith can not separate their faith from their decision making process with regard to these policies. The secular population wants all secular not even a hint of faith based logic or reason. The separation of church and state is a prime example of secularism trying to snuff out any kind of faith based logic or reason in govt even though it wont work and isn't working.

We argue because the secular side wants their freedom of thought while at the same time wants to snuff out the others thought, that being religious thought, reason and ideas with regard to social policy.

Seems obvious to me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%