Jump to topic:

Prosperity Theology

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 3:23:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why is it that some who call themselves Christian think they deserve better treatment than Jesus? I am speaking of hose who think God shows his favor by seeing to it you have wealth and health. They would also hold the opposite, that those who are poor or sick are serious sinners. Seems to me this theology is the essence of evil incarnate.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 8:47:50 AM
At 11/7/2011 3:23:59 AM, logicrules wrote:
Why is it that some who call themselves Christian think they deserve better treatment than Jesus? I am speaking of hose who think God shows his favor by seeing to it you have wealth and health. They would also hold the opposite, that those who are poor or sick are serious sinners. Seems to me this theology is the essence of evil incarnate.

I don't know about all that "evil incarnate" business, but I think prosperity theology is wrong and often used as a tool to take advantage of people.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:03:31 PM
agreed . . .theres a lot of bad theology out there. . . and "Christian" who claims otherwise is either grossly ignorant or simplly attempting to take your money.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:04:02 PM
I will add that the Bible promises just the opposite to those who follow it's commands . . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 2:10:42 AM
I think too much is often accused of being 'prosperity gosple'. I once brang up passages about 'if you have a musterseed of faith you can move mountain/ uproot a tree and plant it in the see by faith' when we were talking about prayer and miraculose stuff. But the pastor told me that was prosperity gosple, to say by faithfull prayer we could restore sight to a blind person or stuff like that.

but how is that prosperity gospel, when its just whats in the scripture? there were miraculous healing in the times of the apostles even after christ ascended so they didnt stop with him. and they did not begin either with him. Elisha also prayed the dead back to life in his ministry. Why is it considered prosperity gosple to say that same faith and power to get miracles exist today the same as it did then.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 6:24:50 AM
At 11/10/2011 2:10:42 AM, Marauder wrote:
I think too much is often accused of being 'prosperity gosple'. I once brang up passages about 'if you have a musterseed of faith you can move mountain/ uproot a tree and plant it in the see by faith' when we were talking about prayer and miraculose stuff. But the pastor told me that was prosperity gosple, to say by faithfull prayer we could restore sight to a blind person or stuff like that.

but how is that prosperity gospel, when its just whats in the scripture? there were miraculous healing in the times of the apostles even after christ ascended so they didnt stop with him. and they did not begin either with him. Elisha also prayed the dead back to life in his ministry. Why is it considered prosperity gosple to say that same faith and power to get miracles exist today the same as it did then.

Propeerity Gospel is the idea that if you have wealth and all the good things of your society it is a sign of your goo christian character. It was first preached in the late 1800's to the rich so the preacher didn't alienate his congregation.

Quoting scripture is considered a sign of evil in the bible
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:35:20 AM
Why is it that some who call themselves Christian think they deserve better treatment than Jesus? I am speaking of hose who think God shows his favor by seeing to it you have wealth and health. They would also hold the opposite, that those who are poor or sick are serious sinners. Seems to me this theology is the essence of evil incarnate.:

The Prosperity gospel is a lie perpetrated by a group who would happily fleece their own flock so long as it lines their pockets with temporal riches instead of treasures laid up in heaven.

Anyone with even an elementary level of biblical knowledge can plainly see that no such prosperity gospel exists, and Jesus preached the exact opposite.

If the bible is true, then those people who manipulate the gospel are simply damned to eternal torment.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:49:41 AM

I completely agree here.
It is a great "you are not of God" card people whip out.

Same as "Your denomination is unbiblical".
Everyone knows every denomination grounds their beliefs in the Bible.

It is just jury skunking tactic to get to diminish the audiences opinion of you.

It is clearly an ad hominem.

As to the prosperity gospel, there are many examples of God's promised blessing AFTER you go through God's promised suffering.

When you can handle wealth you will be given wealth.
Many millionaire Christians give over 50% of their income to organizations, churches and good works programs that God directs them too.

God is not going to give a Christian wealth just so they can have 10 luxury cars in their mansion.

However, God does want to give wealth to people like Abraham and Joseph etc...

These men did not abuse their wealth.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 1:06:24 PM
At 11/12/2011 11:49:41 AM, Gileandos wrote:

I completely agree here.

It is just jury skunking tactic to get to diminish the audiences opinion of you.

As to the prosperity gospel, there are many examples of God's promised blessing AFTER you go through God's promised suffering.

Many millionaire Christians give over 50% of their income to organizations, churches and good works programs that God directs them too.

God is not going to give a Christian wealth just so they can have 10 luxury cars in their mansion.

LOL where to begin. First you claim the theology ad hominem, then you claim anyone who would question it "evil", then you say you accept it. FYI....Christianity predates the bible by 100 years....so you are historically disingenuous as to your representations. The first, reputable, person to base religion on the Bible was Luther. The Gospel, fyi, is the basis of faith not King James.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 1:22:51 PM
At 11/12/2011 1:06:24 PM, logicrules wrote:

I completely agree here.

LOL where to begin. First you claim the theology ad hominem, then you claim anyone who would question it "evil", then you say you accept it.

I was pointing out what people do, not claiming what I do.
Pastors will accuse other pastors, who have a better argument for the reasons of their interpretation as being "unbiblical".

It is a common accusation against the Catholic Church which is wholistically untrue. Every doctrine of faith can be found in the Bible or pre-Christ Judaic writings.

FYI....Christianity predates the bible by 100 years....so you are historically disingenuous as to your representations.

The Bible is 3500 years old.
The New Testament letters and Gospels are well within a 30 years of Jesus' advent.
Additionally, Jesus quoted each of his teachings recorded in the Gospels from, the Tanach, writings, histories and prophets.

Additionally, many things that the Catholic Church hold to that are not in the Protestant Bible come from the ancient Judiac works quoted by Early Church fathers and the New Testament.
An example the book of Jude quotes the Book of Enoch which has always been cannon in the Ethiopic Church.

There are a few exceptions, like Limbo, that the Church never held as a matter of doctrine and have openly declared it as unteachable.

The first, reputable, person to base religion on the Bible was Luther.
Where did you learn this?
The entire catachism references scripture and Doctors and Theologians of the church's interpretations of scripture and events.
Where the Bible appears silent the Catholic Church appeals to Tradition by the majority of geography as referenced in the Scriptures.

The Gospel, fyi, is the basis of faith not King James.

I will ignore this as I believe that you consider my theological education to be inferior at this point.
For some reason you considered my post to be Hostile to Orthodoxy?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 1:33:58 PM

I completely agree here.

First you claim the theology ad hominem, then you claim anyone who would question it "evil", then you say you accept it. FYI....Christianity predates the bible by 100 years....so you are historically disingenuous as to your representations. The first, reputable, person to base religion on the Bible was Luther. The Gospel, fyi, is the basis of faith not King James.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 1:50:12 PM
At 11/12/2011 1:33:58 PM, logicrules wrote:

I completely agree here.

First you claim the theology ad hominem, then you claim anyone who would question it "evil", then you say you accept it. FYI....Christianity predates the bible by 100 years....so you are historically disingenuous as to your representations. The first, reputable, person to base religion on the Bible was Luther. The Gospel, fyi, is the basis of faith not King James.

Did you mean to post this again after my response or a mistake?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:28:13 PM
At 11/12/2011 6:24:50 AM, logicrules wrote:

Propeerity Gospel is the idea that if you have wealth and all the good things of your society it is a sign of your goo christian character. It was first preached in the late 1800's to the rich so the preacher didn't alienate his congregation.

to people like you closed off from the rest of the world, perhaps that is the only example of the term used that you have heard. however I was refering to my own experience were the term 'prosperity gosple' was used to describe what my pasture thought was the fallacy of continulisationism over cesationism.

Quoting scripture is considered a sign of evil in the bible

No, miss quoting it is shown to be something Satan is capable of, but any quotation of scripture is not biblically considered evil.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:42:42 PM

I think this is a really good summury of how blessing and suffering should be viewed together. God blesses us with intention of us blessing others. We are not being given money to just have from when we get money, we are made his stewards of it. its still his cash we are just in charge of managing it.

He gave one servent 5 talents, another 2, another 1.
two went out and invested and dubled the money before the masters return
the other one just buried it acting like he had done the master a favor by doing that. He thought all there was to life was to gaurd what was his and store it up, maybe retire early off of it, but he failed to see what it means to be a steward and how duty would have you use what you have been given to manage as a steward.

A Scout is Obedient.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:57:05 PM
Looks like another misunderstanding here. Confusing the stereotype of a Christian with Christianity. I think that when the scripture talks about luke warm Christians it is in fact talking about people who only use God as a means for their personal gain and their faith has no deeper meaning. There are many a corrupt churches parading in the name of Christ, but this is not Christianity.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 12:11:19 AM
Crede, you have to understand that unwavering faith is what leads to these types of theologies.

Christian theology is meant to be examined and tested. By doing so, you gain a better understand it. Those who hard headed and inflexible about their beliefs tend to resemble the religious institutions that Jesus himself didn't care too much for.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 12:20:16 AM

"Multiply and be fruitful."

The story of the talents.

King David.

Those freed from Egypt (well, they're descendants).

There's a lot of places in the Bible where God shows favoritism to humanity; that is, those who continue to perceive Him as their shepherd will be spoiled.

"...and my cup runneth over."
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 12:24:16 AM
...that said, I don't think that the Bible was necessarily referring to riches specifically, but resources in general.

Personally, I'd rather have a great place to live, delicious and nutritious food, beautiful women that would love to have sex with me, drugs of my choice, access to nature, and my health than all of the money and notoriety that exists. I'm sure it's the same for most people (with some tweaks, of course), but given that all this is completely accessible without money, the current global system would collapse if anyone realized it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 12:40:48 AM
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

It is important to note that heaven is not a place that you go when you die.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 2:20:59 AM
At 11/13/2011 12:11:19 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Crede, you have to understand that unwavering faith is what leads to these types of theologies.

Christian theology is meant to be examined and tested. By doing so, you gain a better understand it. Those who hard headed and inflexible about their beliefs tend to resemble the religious institutions that Jesus himself didn't care too much for.

I would have to say yes and no. Yes in using Christianity to accuse others and damn people for sinning. No in that there are certain parts of a Christian faith that is supposed to be unwavering and steadfast. It is the balance or knowing which is which is where many Christians get hung up.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 5:42:57 AM

the other one just buried it acting like he had done the master a favor by doing that. He thought all there was to life was to gaurd what was his and store it up, maybe retire early off of it, but he failed to see what it means to be a steward and how duty would have you use what you have been given to manage as a steward.

Scripture says there is no god. To base a defense of one's theological construct on a verse of scripture, without the tested doctrines of the people of faith is the epitome of evil intention. Hence, Jesus the Christ was given the blessings of a good life, for us to expect different is the height of hubris. An early example of the conundrum is found when reading Luke, where poor in spirit replaces poor so he doesn't upset his readers.

Most US denominations do not have a theology, each individual gets to decide. That's how we get nonsense like prohibition for the "good of all".
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 12:16:54 AM
At 11/13/2011 5:42:57 AM, logicrules wrote:

Scripture says there is no god. To base a defense of one's theological construct on a verse of scripture, without the tested doctrines of the people of faith is the epitome of evil intention. Hence, Jesus the Christ was given the blessings of a good life, for us to expect different is the height of hubris. An early example of the conundrum is found when reading Luke, where poor in spirit replaces poor so he doesn't upset his readers.

Most US denominations do not have a theology, each individual gets to decide. That's how we get nonsense like prohibition for the "good of all".

A) if your not going to quote a post within the train of context of a thought, dont quote it at all. of course I guess as a troll you do not care about that

B) Scripture is the only tried and tested truth at the bedrock of all christian theology or doctrine of any kind.

C) the bold part is false

D) I dont think you know how to connect your thoughts, your use of 'Hence' has no case justifying it. your use is like going "Global warming is causing Polar bears to breed with Grizzleys, Hence Turtles are lame"

E) at underlined part, Jesus went through the most gruesome suffering the Romans could give him

A Scout is Obedient.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 6:31:38 AM
At 11/14/2011 12:16:54 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 11/13/2011 5:42:57 AM, logicrules wrote:

A) if your not going to quote a post within the train of context of a thought, dont quote it at all. of course I guess as a troll you do not care about that

B) Scripture is the only tried and tested truth at the bedrock of all christian theology or doctrine of any kind.

C) the bold part is false

D) I dont think you know how to connect your thoughts, your use of 'Hence' has no case justifying it. your use is like going "Global warming is causing Polar bears to breed with Grizzleys, Hence Turtles are lame"

E) at underlined part, Jesus went through the most gruesome suffering the Romans could give him

I shall respond as I see fit. Scripture says there is no god is in fact true, meaning you either haven't read it or do not know how to look things up. As to your inability to make connections,you should work on that projection.

Scripture is not the bedrock of Christianity, it is the dole determiner for a select group of people who claim to be Christians, but most of whom are not. Scripture, by definition, is sacred texts, not Theology. Jesus did suffer, it was gruesome, to expect better is silly.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 6:57:43 AM
At 11/14/2011 6:31:38 AM, logicrules wrote:
I shall respond as I see fit. Scripture says there is no god is in fact true, meaning you either haven't read it or do not know how to look things up. As to your inability to make connections,you should work on that projection.

Scripture is not the bedrock of Christianity, it is the dole determiner for a select group of people who claim to be Christians, but most of whom are not. Scripture, by definition, is sacred texts, not Theology. Jesus did suffer, it was gruesome, to expect better is silly.

Lol, so, you're saying that you're just going to put a statement out there, and it is up to anyone who disagrees to look it up and verify its legitimacy?

Lol, you're delusional, dude, no one is going to give you that kind of credibility, no matter who you are.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 7:13:10 AM
At 11/14/2011 6:57:43 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2011 6:31:38 AM, logicrules wrote:

Lol, so, you're saying that you're just going to put a statement out there, and it is up to anyone who disagrees to look it up and verify its legitimacy?

Lol, you're delusional, dude, no one is going to give you that kind of credibility, no matter who you are.

No, I am saying I will not succumb to the silly. Accepting the premise of another, believing them and quoting their source documents means the bringer of the source bears the burden, (Principles of reason, Law and Logic) Its in a psalm, which is scripture. Also, there seems to be no understanding here of basic principles of reason. The point is simple...It is written in scripture "there is no god..". look it up. Dude
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 7:15:57 AM
At 11/14/2011 7:13:10 AM, logicrules wrote:
No, I am saying I will not succumb to the silly. Accepting the premise of another, believing them and quoting their source documents means the bringer of the source bears the burden, (Principles of reason, Law and Logic) Its in a psalm, which is scripture. Also, there seems to be no understanding here of basic principles of reason. The point is simple...It is written in scripture "there is no god..". look it up. Dude

Lol, no, you're saying that you don't believe the statement any more than I do, so, much like me, you won't be wasting your time looking for such preposterous nonsense.

Get real.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 7:49:28 AM
At 11/14/2011 7:15:57 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2011 7:13:10 AM, logicrules wrote:

Lol, no, you're saying that you don't believe the statement any more than I do, so, much like me, you won't be wasting your time looking for such preposterous nonsense.

Get real.

It is you who claimed it was false, it was true, I do not accept that the bible is inerrant. All who claim it is mist accept that there is no god. not complicated.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 7:52:01 AM
At 11/14/2011 7:49:28 AM, logicrules wrote:
It is you who claimed it was false, it was true, I do not accept that the bible is inerrant. All who claim it is mist accept that there is no god. not complicated.

Oh snap. Your use of the word "inerrant" totally just intimidated me and I suddenly have nothing with which to retort to that incredible, though strangely illogical, statement.

You win, man. You win.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 12:28:05 PM
At 11/14/2011 11:48:18 AM, logicrules wrote:
That is what passes for reason in your world?

its what passes for sarcasm knob

A Scout is Obedient.