Jump to topic:

"Omnipotence does not mean EVERYTHING!"

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:04:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't understand this point. It's based on a source, and we create a short-term for the phrasing. Now, criticising the definition is completely irrelevant: We use "omnipotent" to describe all-powerful, because an all-powerful being is what God is.

But Jesus looked at them and said, With men this is impossible, but all things are possible with God. – Matt. 19:26

For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment. – Luke 1:37

Or more artistically:
For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who can annul it? And His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back? – Is. 14:24-27.

So, why do people go on rants about why God is simply "very great" and not all-powerful, or able to do everything?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:10:42 PM
God can do anything.......................except for the things he can't.

)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:56:58 PM
There are three broad possibilities.

1: Is the Bible the accurate word/account of God?

2: Is the Bible the inaccurate word/account of God

3: The Bible has nothing to do with God.

Until evidence is offered of the divine origin of the bible I am stumping with option 3.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 5:42:06 PM
At 11/8/2011 4:04:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I don't understand this point. It's based on a source, and we create a short-term for the phrasing. Now, criticising the definition is completely irrelevant: We use "omnipotent" to describe all-powerful, because an all-powerful being is what God is.

But Jesus looked at them and said, With men this is impossible, but all things are possible with God. – Matt. 19:26

For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment. – Luke 1:37

Or more artistically:
For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who can annul it? And His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back? – Is. 14:24-27.

So, why do people go on rants about why God is simply "very great" and not all-powerful, or able to do everything?

If God can't do the logically impossible (i.e., if God's existence isn't self-contradictory) is that really a limitation on His power?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 7:34:38 PM
At 11/8/2011 5:42:06 PM, RFH wrote:
At 11/8/2011 4:04:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Or more artistically:

If God can't do the logically impossible (i.e., if God's existence isn't self-contradictory) is that really a limitation on His power?

Yes. There are a number of arguments which suggest that without God, logic wouldn't exist. That is, logic and reasoning are subordinate to, and depend on, God.

However, if God cannot do the logically impossible, then logic exists independently of, and is not subordinate to, God.

This is the crack in the ice. If logic can exist independently to God, then why not other things, such as the universe?