Jump to topic:

Religion and this site.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:30:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I saw this comment on a debate the other day and it basically explains this site:

"Why are 50% of all debates on this site about god in some way, shape, or form?"

Can someone please explain the fascination everyone has with debating religion? I, too, have participated in a religious debate but I just don't understand it.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:33:54 PM
Because religion is so impossible to prove that it's anyone's game. Also, because people like to force their beliefs on others.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:36:02 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:30:08 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
I saw this comment on a debate the other day and it basically explains this site:

"Why are 50% of all debates on this site about god in some way, shape, or form?"

Can someone please explain the fascination everyone has with debating religion? I, too, have participated in a religious debate but I just don't understand it.

All debate sites, or debate - like sites are like that. Personally i find them to be a silly waste of time.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:36:31 PM
We use God's mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds)
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:46:33 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:33:54 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
Because religion is so impossible to prove that it's anyone's game. Also, because people like to force their beliefs on others.

I actually find more atheists beginning debates attempting to disprove God than theists instigating debates attempting to prove God.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:47:04 PM
Um, maybe because religion concerns the most important aspects of human life.

Ethics, ontology, death, cosmology, metaphysics, evolution, who rules the universe if anyone, philosophy, and in some even psychology.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:47:59 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:47:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Ethics, ontology, death, cosmology, metaphysics, evolution, who rules the universe if anyone, philosophy, and in some even psychology.

Perhaps I was ambiguous with the title. I meant specifically about the existence of God.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:49:52 PM
Basically, we live in an age where people are catching up with the idea that the real crusade, jihad, or war that is going on is the war over people's souls.. People's minds..

The debaters of religion are like warriors in battle. The Christians, the Muslims, the non-believers even.

Of course, no matter what side of the battle you are on, you are fighting for a kingdom divided against itself. We all have the same master, and that master is the one true God. All submit, whether they like it or even know it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:53:46 PM

^^ agreed
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:55:05 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:47:59 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Perhaps I was ambiguous with the title.

The title? Even in the OP you asked why everyone has a fascination with RELIGION. You mentioned religion twice and Gods existence once.

I meant specifically about the existence of God.

Using the word "religion" to refer to the "existence of God" is absurd and quite misleading. Religion does not concern merely the existence of God, nor is Gods existence part of every religion.

There's 3 major world religions that don't believe in God but still very religious (Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism).

Religion covers all of the things I previously listed.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:56:01 PM

Just because religion concerns certain issues doesn't mean religion should be everyone's main concern. Religion causes war, tears friends apart, and can be the destruction of a person.

Honestly, I find the whole thing irrelevant and oppressive and something that shouldn't be brought up in everyday conversation.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:01:19 PM
I think most of this depends on how you choose to define the terms.

Just about everything's meaning changes depending on how it is defined. We argue over phantoms.

If there is anything I am hopeless inept at doing, it is getting people to realize that they argue over phantoms.

People put too much faith in the construct that they have built over reality.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:08:06 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:55:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/9/2011 4:47:59 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Perhaps I was ambiguous with the title.

The title? Even in the OP you asked why everyone has a fascination with RELIGION. You mentioned religion twice and Gods existence once.

I meant specifically about the existence of God.

Using the word "religion" to refer to the "existence of God" is absurd and quite misleading. Religion does not concern merely the existence of God, nor is Gods existence part of every religion.

There's 3 major world religions that don't believe in God but still very religious (Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism).

Religion covers all of the things I previously listed.

This is all true. I should have reworded my forum post. I meant the existence of God.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:13:31 PM
Because trolling the religious fanatics (and idiots like Izbo) is HILARIOUS!

And I find it interesting to hear about people's reason's for their beliefs... and how they can respond to my rebuttals...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.