Jump to topic:

You know, religion serves a purpose....

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:04:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
...And not only do you know that trying to change someone's views is an utter waste of time, and ultimately not in your best interests?

Has ye all no discernment?

It makes prejudice so much easier! If you think that someone who believes in certain things is stupid, you want them to tell you their religious beliefs! You want them to basically straight up tell you from the get go what you can expect from them.

All these forms of pride expression only make you an easier target of discrimination.

Think about that next time you want to have a parade.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:10:23 AM
That first sentence was meant to read

"You know, religion serves a purpose... not only is the act of trying to change someone's beliefs a waste of time, but it is ultimately not in your best interests.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 7:52:51 AM
Silliness. Proselytizing is not religion. It is however a big part of many non-mainstream protestant denominations and/or sects.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 9:07:26 AM
By posting this, you're pretty much trying to do the same thing. You want mad people to post here and argue that they're not just trying to start an argument when they make fun of someone, that they're 'proclaiming the word of God,' or 'trying to make someone rational.' Honestly, I like this topic. Gives us all someone to prey on.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 9:08:08 AM
At 11/14/2011 7:52:51 AM, logicrules wrote:
Silliness. Proselytizing is not religion. It is however a big part of many non-mainstream protestant denominations and/or sects.

It's a big part of most religions. And why shouldn't it be?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:46:50 AM
At 11/14/2011 9:08:08 AM, RFH wrote:

not most religion....most non-mainstream protestant....that's not even 25% of religions
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:05:59 PM
At 11/14/2011 9:07:26 AM, WriterSelbe wrote:
By posting this, you're pretty much trying to do the same thing. You want mad people to post here and argue that they're not just trying to start an argument when they make fun of someone, that they're 'proclaiming the word of God,' or 'trying to make someone rational.' Honestly, I like this topic. Gives us all someone to prey on.

I am aware of the irony. I consider it to be a major fallacy when someone looks at a piece of advice, and then judges its merits based on the person who says it. Some advice is impossible to say without breaking the advice you are giving.

Hypocrisy and comedy go together well.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:29:53 PM
Still, what I'm saying isn't a piece of advice so much as it is a mirror that needs to be looked into.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:31:02 PM
At 11/14/2011 4:05:59 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/14/2011 9:07:26 AM, WriterSelbe wrote:

I am aware of the irony. I consider it to be a major fallacy when someone looks at a piece of advice, and then judges its merits based on the person who says it. Some advice is impossible to say without breaking the advice you are giving.

Hypocrisy and comedy go together well.

I agree. Just because a person is a hypocrite, it doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Like just because someone is a virgin, it doesn't necessarily mean they're Christian.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 9:17:22 PM
At 11/14/2011 4:04:31 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
...And not only do you know that trying to change someone's views is an utter waste of time, and ultimately not in your best interests?

If I can make someone think about something they would not have before, then it is not a waste of time.

Has ye all no discernment?

It makes prejudice so much easier! If you think that someone who believes in certain things is stupid, you want them to tell you their religious beliefs! You want them to basically straight up tell you from the get go what you can expect from them.

All these forms of pride expression only make you an easier target of discrimination.

Think about that next time you want to have a parade.

There is nothing wrong with expressing pride in ones quality. Also all purposes served by religion can be accomplished by other means.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 8:51:09 AM
At 11/14/2011 11:46:50 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 11/14/2011 9:08:08 AM, RFH wrote:

not most religion....most non-mainstream protestant....that's not even 25% of religions

Are you saying that a majority religious groups don't attempt to convert people or am I somehow misreading you?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 9:09:26 AM
At 11/14/2011 4:04:31 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

No. I don't know that at all. Perhaps you could explain.