Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Why do you people bother?

Diagoras
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:32:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just talking about here on this website. Every Atheist here should know that no religious person on this website is going to seriously stop, look at the basic logic and realize that their religion has no more evidence than the Easter Bunny. And every religious person ought know that no Atheist is going to suddenly forget logic and start praising the sky king. So why bother arguing about it?

I've decided that I'll continue to debate those that want to debate, but I'm no longer going to bother wasting time with you in the forums, which basically falls to "my god has a bigger penis than your logic" and other back and forths.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:53:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:32:36 PM, Diagoras wrote:
Just talking about here on this website. Every Atheist here should know that no religious person on this website is going to seriously stop, look at the basic logic and realize that their religion has no more evidence than the Easter Bunny. And every religious person ought know that no Atheist is going to suddenly forget logic and start praising the sky king. So why bother arguing about it?

I've decided that I'll continue to debate those that want to debate, but I'm no longer going to bother wasting time with you in the forums, which basically falls to "my god has a bigger penis than your logic" and other back and forths.

You will be missed.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:54:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.

That's his shtick, yo. He's a contrarian :P
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:56:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:32:36 PM, Diagoras wrote:
Just talking about here on this website. Every Atheist here should know that no religious person on this website is going to seriously stop, look at the basic logic and realize that their religion has no more evidence than the Easter Bunny. And every religious person ought know that no Atheist is going to suddenly forget logic and start praising the sky king. So why bother arguing about it?

I've decided that I'll continue to debate those that want to debate, but I'm no longer going to bother wasting time with you in the forums, which basically falls to "my god has a bigger penis than your logic" and other back and forths.

I see....Then you can either start to argue in other forums or learn to suck it up when you continuously haunt the religious forums.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:57:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.

When all that I say is taken as a whole, it begins to make more sense.

People do not understand me because they do not ask honest questions.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:59:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:57:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.

When all that I say is taken as a whole, it begins to make more sense.

People do not understand me because they do not ask honest questions.

Speaking of honest questions, what happened to your profile picture? You seem a lot more serious without it..
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 6:00:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:54:54 PM, Rusty wrote:
That's his shtick, yo. He's a contrarian :P

If I am a contrarian, I am a very internally consistent contrarian.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 6:01:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:59:06 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:57:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.

When all that I say is taken as a whole, it begins to make more sense.

People do not understand me because they do not ask honest questions.

Speaking of honest questions, what happened to your profile picture? You seem a lot more serious without it..

It was an accident, but I decided to roll with it for a while.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 6:04:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 6:01:50 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:59:06 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:57:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:53:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 11/14/2011 5:44:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is foolish to reason with those who do not believe in reason. They are practitioners of self deceit, and have made the choice to wallow in their ignorance. Truly they already live in hell.

As it is written, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

Whoa. It's like you change every thread. In some threads you seem all like screw God while in others you're all preachy and sound like Gileandos what's his face.

When all that I say is taken as a whole, it begins to make more sense.

People do not understand me because they do not ask honest questions.

Speaking of honest questions, what happened to your profile picture? You seem a lot more serious without it..

It was an accident, but I decided to roll with it for a while.

I am so confused without it. I'll be like, "Who said THAT?" Then I'll look and be like, "Oh, it's Alfonzo again."
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:41:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:32:36 PM, Diagoras wrote:
Just talking about here on this website. Every Atheist here should know that no religious person on this website is going to seriously stop, look at the basic logic and realize that their religion has no more evidence than the Easter Bunny. And every religious person ought know that no Atheist is going to suddenly forget logic and start praising the sky king. So why bother arguing about it?

I've decided that I'll continue to debate those that want to debate, but I'm no longer going to bother wasting time with you in the forums, which basically falls to "my god has a bigger penis than your logic" and other back and forths.

Your god has what? And what are you implying about the Easter Bunny?

The point of discussion is not mainly to convince your opponent. As you say, that's not going to happen. Thevalid reasons are:

a) to sharpen your own thinking;

b) to explain things to readers who have not committed to a position;

c) and to undermine some of your opponent's thinking.

Even if your opponent never agrees wit you, he may be unwilling to use a certain argument after you have beaten him over the head with it about four times. He'll probably have the same conclusion, but he won't use the particular bogus reasoning. That makes the world a better place, and, who knows, after his ducks are shot down one-by-one, he may actually change his conclusion.

Note that (a) is (c) applied to you. Even though you may not change, you may abandon certain lines of reasoning. Of course, that doesn't work with me, because I do know everything already.

I like DDO because there are lots of young minds who have not yet swung their intellectual gates closed. That's (b).

I think there is something to be learned from really dumb claims. You'd think that ridiculous claims would be trivial to shoot down. Not so, because your opponent will deny all your premises, including the ones rational people ought to agree to. The skill is to find and identify those premises and expose them. It's a useful skill.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:35:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 5:32:36 PM, Diagoras wrote:
Just talking about here on this website. Every Atheist here should know that no religious person on this website is going to seriously stop, look at the basic logic and realize that their religion has no more evidence than the Easter Bunny. And every religious person ought know that no Atheist is going to suddenly forget logic and start praising the sky king. So why bother arguing about it?

I've decided that I'll continue to debate those that want to debate, but I'm no longer going to bother wasting time with you in the forums, which basically falls to "my god has a bigger penis than your logic" and other back and forths.

I think there's little difference between a layman that assumes he knows anything for certain and a fundamentalist extremist.

And, for the record, there seems to be at least a comparable proportion of agnostics. Are you saying that those people logically entertain illogical concepts?

No. You're just attempting to paint yourself in some way that appears superior, because you think that you'd get the majority of the website to agree with you (what you perceive as the atheist vote) without admitting that you have little to defend your equally dogmatic claims about a godless world. There are agnostic and Christian scientists, as well as those that follow other religions, and they're likely quite a bit more intelligent and logical than you.