Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Just for fun

Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 1:35:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is an invitation to all who are interested; for you to help me determine what my religious views and or philosophies are.

For background, I was born into a protestant family. I grew up primarily attending Baptist churches but also attended Methodist, Nazarene, Pentecostal, Non Denominational, Lutheran and Catholic services.

I was "born again" saved and even baptized on Mother's day, 1978 or so. (can't remember exact year)

In the military, I was exposed to even more religions and gained an education in electronics, logic, etc... I grew further and further away from religion and more and more into a secular "realism" kind of mindset.... I think Agnostic is as close a description as I have been able to find.... However, I'm not completely comfortable with that one either.

As of late, we have had several serious medical crisis's in my family and full faithed or not, I prayed for and some could say I even received some miraculous results.

At this point, I'm at a stalemate within myself and will consider any and all questions (short of personal attacks) to help me make some sense out of the rest. My history is what it is and I can't go back and change any of that.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:13:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Look into:
New age philosophy
Deism
Unitarian Universalism
Buddhism.
All of these can border agnostic, but still hold a belief in god.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:20:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 2:13:33 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
Look into:
New age philosophy
Deism
Unitarian Universalism
Buddhism.
All of these can border agnostic, but still hold a belief in god.

Thanks, Lotus...

I was kind of hoping to make it a bit more interesting by having a kind of question and answer session. I will probably do some quick reading on those you suggested though, just to see where it leads.

Just a side note; If I already had a solid "belief in God" I wouldn't have started a discussion along these lines.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:31:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well I'm atheist/agnostic and I don't see any problem with praying to God. I don't do it much, but the fact is it can't hurt. Overall, self-interest triumphs and if there's any potential answer to situation that you really need to fix go for it. Maybe ask Zeus and Thor to help too if they're around. However, you can't reasonably claim "well, I prayed to X and Y happened" and conclude that X caused Y.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 2:58:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 2:31:05 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Well I'm atheist/agnostic and I don't see any problem with praying to God. I don't do it much, but the fact is it can't hurt. Overall, self-interest triumphs and if there's any potential answer to situation that you really need to fix go for it. Maybe ask Zeus and Thor to help too if they're around. However, you can't reasonably claim "well, I prayed to X and Y happened" and conclude that X caused Y.

Thanks.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 3:01:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 2:13:33 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
Look into:
New age philosophy

bleeeeeeck
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 3:51:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 3:26:16 PM, Rusty wrote:
What kinds of questions are you looking for?

I really don't know, Rusty.

Like I said, I'm a bit uncertain at this point.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 4:01:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Deism is the "religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator."

Although I am not a Deist, I can see things from their perspective. Perhaps you should look into it.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 4:29:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At this point, I'm at a stalemate within myself and will consider any and all questions (short of personal attacks) to help me make some sense out of the rest. My history is what it is and I can't go back and change any of that.:

My most sincere advice would be to not to rush to judgment in lieu of bad circumstances, as that sense of distress can lead to delusion out of desperation.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:37:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 4:29:50 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At this point, I'm at a stalemate within myself and will consider any and all questions (short of personal attacks) to help me make some sense out of the rest. My history is what it is and I can't go back and change any of that.:

My most sincere advice would be to not to rush to judgment in lieu of bad circumstances, as that sense of distress can lead to delusion out of desperation.

Good advice.... But I'm not rushing into anything.

Far from it.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:42:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 4:28:23 PM, Rusty wrote:
Alright, well, why aren't you comfortable with the agnostic label?

I think it's because I don't like disappointing my more religious friends and family members. Also, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving someone else a reason to question their own beliefs. Especially when I am not very satisfied with my own.

I think religion has a place in modern society and that it has done more good than harm.... even if there is (factually) no "God" beyond what people imagine him to be... I don't want to be the one that for whatever reason causes another to change their beliefs.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:48:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 10:42:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 4:28:23 PM, Rusty wrote:
Alright, well, why aren't you comfortable with the agnostic label?

I think it's because I don't like disappointing my more religious friends and family members. Also, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving someone else a reason to question their own beliefs. Especially when I am not very satisfied with my own.

I think religion has a place in modern society and that it has done more good than harm.... even if there is (factually) no "God" beyond what people imagine him to be... I don't want to be the one that for whatever reason causes another to change their beliefs.

You could be an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:53:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 1:35:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
This is an invitation to all who are interested; for you to help me determine what my religious views and or philosophies are.

For background, I was born into a protestant family. I grew up primarily attending Baptist churches but also attended Methodist, Nazarene, Pentecostal, Non Denominational, Lutheran and Catholic services.

I was "born again" saved and even baptized on Mother's day, 1978 or so. (can't remember exact year)

In the military, I was exposed to even more religions and gained an education in electronics, logic, etc... I grew further and further away from religion and more and more into a secular "realism" kind of mindset.... I think Agnostic is as close a description as I have been able to find.... However, I'm not completely comfortable with that one either.

As of late, we have had several serious medical crisis's in my family and full faithed or not, I prayed for and some could say I even received some miraculous results.

At this point, I'm at a stalemate within myself and will consider any and all questions (short of personal attacks) to help me make some sense out of the rest. My history is what it is and I can't go back and change any of that.

When you start attempting to categorize yourself, you're, in a manner of speaking, "doing it wrong."

I believe that "religion" has bastardized religion. That is to say, you should be comfortable with your beliefs, perspectives, and spirituality, whether or not it conforms to any specific doctrine or social construct.

Put it this way. Not only does it not require to study English in college to communicate with people, it may even be a counterintuitive approach.

Speak to God in terms of your personal relationship with God. It is the only way to know that you're not being manipulated by man.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:20:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 10:48:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:42:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 4:28:23 PM, Rusty wrote:
Alright, well, why aren't you comfortable with the agnostic label?

I think it's because I don't like disappointing my more religious friends and family members. Also, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving someone else a reason to question their own beliefs. Especially when I am not very satisfied with my own.

I think religion has a place in modern society and that it has done more good than harm.... even if there is (factually) no "God" beyond what people imagine him to be... I don't want to be the one that for whatever reason causes another to change their beliefs.

You could be an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

POP. Thanks for this.

If I were just a little more of a believer, I think this would have nailed it. As I (for now) can accept that there could be more than one God.... just as easily as there could be none at all. Who is to say?

But I do like the part about the actual knowledge of God's existence is something that simply can not be 'known.'

Good link!
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:36:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:20:48 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:48:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:42:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 4:28:23 PM, Rusty wrote:
Alright, well, why aren't you comfortable with the agnostic label?

I think it's because I don't like disappointing my more religious friends and family members. Also, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving someone else a reason to question their own beliefs. Especially when I am not very satisfied with my own.

I think religion has a place in modern society and that it has done more good than harm.... even if there is (factually) no "God" beyond what people imagine him to be... I don't want to be the one that for whatever reason causes another to change their beliefs.

You could be an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

POP. Thanks for this.

If I were just a little more of a believer, I think this would have nailed it. As I (for now) can accept that there could be more than one God.... just as easily as there could be none at all. Who is to say?

But I do like the part about the actual knowledge of God's existence is something that simply can not be 'known.'

Good link!

What do you say to those who claim to KNOW?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:27:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:36:06 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:20:48 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:48:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:42:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/16/2011 4:28:23 PM, Rusty wrote:
Alright, well, why aren't you comfortable with the agnostic label?

I think it's because I don't like disappointing my more religious friends and family members. Also, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of giving someone else a reason to question their own beliefs. Especially when I am not very satisfied with my own.

I think religion has a place in modern society and that it has done more good than harm.... even if there is (factually) no "God" beyond what people imagine him to be... I don't want to be the one that for whatever reason causes another to change their beliefs.

You could be an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

POP. Thanks for this.

If I were just a little more of a believer, I think this would have nailed it. As I (for now) can accept that there could be more than one God.... just as easily as there could be none at all. Who is to say?

But I do like the part about the actual knowledge of God's existence is something that simply can not be 'known.'

Good link!

What do you say to those who claim to KNOW?

I generally don't say anything. I respect their views whether i agree with them or not... and I really do wish (sometimes) that I could find enough "proof" to convince myself one way or the other.

So far, I have been unable to do so.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 8:59:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 3:01:04 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/16/2011 2:13:33 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
Look into:
New age philosophy

bleeeeeeck

lol why are you opposed to this?
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 9:06:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 1:35:10 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
This is an invitation to all who are interested; for you to help me determine what my religious views and or philosophies are.

For background, I was born into a protestant family. I grew up primarily attending Baptist churches but also attended Methodist, Nazarene, Pentecostal, Non Denominational, Lutheran and Catholic services.

I was "born again" saved and even baptized on Mother's day, 1978 or so. (can't remember exact year)

In the military, I was exposed to even more religions and gained an education in electronics, logic, etc... I grew further and further away from religion and more and more into a secular "realism" kind of mindset.... I think Agnostic is as close a description as I have been able to find.... However, I'm not completely comfortable with that one either.

As of late, we have had several serious medical crisis's in my family and full faithed or not, I prayed for and some could say I even received some miraculous results.

At this point, I'm at a stalemate within myself and will consider any and all questions (short of personal attacks) to help me make some sense out of the rest. My history is what it is and I can't go back and change any of that.

http://www.beliefnet.com...

This is just an example. Google search "What religion am I" and you'll get a host of similiar things. Requires e-mail address for detailed results.