Total Posts:131|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why Atheists Celebrate Thanksgiving

inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:24:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

This.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:52:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Whoooaaaaahhh.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:56:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:52:48 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Whoooaaaaahhh.

Right?
Like, I never did anything to him...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 11:59:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:56:34 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:52:48 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Whoooaaaaahhh.

Right?
Like, I never did anything to him...

You know? If I was where he is I would probably kick his @$$..
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:41:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P

But this is only every once in a while. Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday mainly celebrated by old Protestant Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals. You should be thanking us that you have the opportunity to eat such a meal with grace.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:42:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P

But this birthday you speak of is only every once in a while. Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday mainly celebrated by old Protestant Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals. You should be thanking us that you have the opportunity to eat such a meal with grace.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:43:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P

But this birthday you speak of is only every once in a while. Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday mainly celebrated by old Protestant Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals. You should be thanking us that you have the opportunity to eat such a meal with grace. Yessssss.
E.BurnumIII
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:45:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Why go to McDonalds? I don't go there any normal day why should I go on thanksgiving. If my family made some of my favorite food should I say, "I'm going to pass on my favorite food because religious people are celebrating thanksgiving today and I don't want to be confused as a celebrator of thanksgiving so, even though I normally don't eat there, I'm going to McDonalds?" That is absurd. Your thinking is screwed up on this topic.
"We must not allow the disastrous results of corporatism to be ascribed incorrectly to free market capitalism"
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:52:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:43:22 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P

But this birthday you speak of is only every once in a while. Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday mainly celebrated by old Protestant Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals. You should be thanking us that you have the opportunity to eat such a meal with grace. Yessssss.

Alright, assuming you really are looking for an honest answer to this...

Thanksgiving is an American holiday, meaning that the majority of Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals, who live elsewhere throughout the world, do not celebrate Thanksgiving. By that merit, it is more a national holiday than it is a religious one.

However, there are also contrasting beliefs regarding whether it even has a religious foundation. Sure, those who celebrated it were Christians, but the feast and accompanying festival was actually meant to celebrate:

"It was the shift from communal farming to private farming in which the people in the Plymouth Colony got to keep the benefits of their own efforts instead of sharing in a distribution of the communal effort."

http://www.sjsu.edu...

In any case, many Atheists celebrate Christmas too, and not because of its religious implications, but rather, as a cultural observance.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 12:59:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:53:59 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:45:04 PM, E.BurnumIII wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Why go to McDonalds? I don't go there any normal day why should I go on thanksgiving. If my family made some of my favorite food should I say, "I'm going to pass on my favorite food because religious people are celebrating thanksgiving today and I don't want to be confused as a celebrator of thanksgiving so, even though I normally don't eat there, I'm going to McDonalds?" That is absurd. Your thinking is screwed up on this topic.

If you do not believe in God, then why are you celebrating a time that is in Honor Of Him. You seem to be playing yourselves here today. Just admit it. You are under the influence and power of religion and Christianity. Our world is so much bigger and better than yours. You are an outsider and your views and opinions are only fallible at best. It has no meaning, and we have no admiration for your kind.

Actually instead of berating atheists for hijacking your festivals it would be nice if you name one Christian holiday that is in fact wholly Christian. All your holidays are either secular or pagan.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:12:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why does anybody celebrate thanksgiving? I do like turkey, but the actual representation of thanksgiving is much darker unless you enjoy slaughtering native americans, lol.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:14:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

You as a Christian are celebrating a pagan holiday when you celebrate christmas.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:18:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:52:28 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:43:22 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:11:28 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Troll...Because my friend stacie has her birthday on the same day. ;P

But this birthday you speak of is only every once in a while. Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday mainly celebrated by old Protestant Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals. You should be thanking us that you have the opportunity to eat such a meal with grace. Yessssss.

Alright, assuming you really are looking for an honest answer to this...

Thanksgiving is an American holiday, meaning that the majority of Catholics, Baptists, and Pentacostals, who live elsewhere throughout the world, do not celebrate Thanksgiving. By that merit, it is more a national holiday than it is a religious one.

However, there are also contrasting beliefs regarding whether it even has a religious foundation. Sure, those who celebrated it were Christians, but the feast and accompanying festival was actually meant to celebrate:

"It was the shift from communal farming to private farming in which the people in the Plymouth Colony got to keep the benefits of their own efforts instead of sharing in a distribution of the communal effort."

http://www.sjsu.edu...

In any case, many Atheists celebrate Christmas too, and not because of its religious implications, but rather, as a cultural observance.

A cultural observance that honors God. Nice try. I didnt even have to sweat on that one.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:28:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 1:18:52 PM, inferno wrote

A cultural observance that honors God. Nice try. I didnt even have to sweat on that one.

A cultural observance that can honor God, but does not necessarily honor God, much like how everyone in the United States acknowledges Sunday as a weekend day (a day of rest), but not everyone acknowledges it as the Sabbath. Or, how Christians acknowledge Saturday as a weekend day (a day of rest), although it is the Jewish Sabbath.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 1:32:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 1:28:14 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:18:52 PM, inferno wrote

A cultural observance that honors God. Nice try. I didnt even have to sweat on that one.

A cultural observance that can honor God, but does not necessarily honor God, much like how everyone in the United States acknowledges Sunday as a weekend day (a day of rest), but not everyone acknowledges it as the Sabbath. Or, how Christians acknowledge Saturday as a weekend day (a day of rest), although it is the Jewish Sabbath.

..or, how Christians and Atheists alike celebrate Halloween, which originates as the Pagan holiday Samhain; Christmas, which originated as Yule, or the Winter Solstice; and Easter, which originated as Ostara, or the Spring Equinox.

It might interest you to know that the rituals performed by Catholics on Christmas strikingly resemble the Pagan rituals that precede them.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:01:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 1:32:14 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:28:14 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:18:52 PM, inferno wrote

A cultural observance that honors God. Nice try. I didnt even have to sweat on that one.

A cultural observance that can honor God, but does not necessarily honor God, much like how everyone in the United States acknowledges Sunday as a weekend day (a day of rest), but not everyone acknowledges it as the Sabbath. Or, how Christians acknowledge Saturday as a weekend day (a day of rest), although it is the Jewish Sabbath.

..or, how Christians and Atheists alike celebrate Halloween, which originates as the Pagan holiday Samhain; Christmas, which originated as Yule, or the Winter Solstice; and Easter, which originated as Ostara, or the Spring Equinox.

It might interest you to know that the rituals performed by Catholics on Christmas strikingly resemble the Pagan rituals that precede them.

Most true Christians do not celebrate Halloween. The origin of Christmas is religious and was intended to be for the birth of Baby Jesus. The Pagan thing was only done for commercial purposes only. However, it does NOT define the true meaning and reason as to why we celebrate this holiday in the first place.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:13:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 2:01:44 PM, inferno wrote:

Most true Christians do not celebrate Halloween. The origin of Christmas is religious and was intended to be for the birth of Baby Jesus. The Pagan thing was only done for commercial purposes only. However, it does NOT define the true meaning and reason as to why we celebrate this holiday in the first place.

Sorry, but if you truly believe that you don't really understand the origins of christmas. The time of year is not even correct, considering they wanted it to concede with another pagan festival. A lot of this was to convert pagans.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:18:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 2:01:44 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:32:14 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:28:14 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/17/2011 1:18:52 PM, inferno wrote

A cultural observance that honors God. Nice try. I didnt even have to sweat on that one.

A cultural observance that can honor God, but does not necessarily honor God, much like how everyone in the United States acknowledges Sunday as a weekend day (a day of rest), but not everyone acknowledges it as the Sabbath. Or, how Christians acknowledge Saturday as a weekend day (a day of rest), although it is the Jewish Sabbath.

..or, how Christians and Atheists alike celebrate Halloween, which originates as the Pagan holiday Samhain; Christmas, which originated as Yule, or the Winter Solstice; and Easter, which originated as Ostara, or the Spring Equinox.

It might interest you to know that the rituals performed by Catholics on Christmas strikingly resemble the Pagan rituals that precede them.

Most true Christians do not celebrate Halloween. The origin of Christmas is religious and was intended to be for the birth of Baby Jesus. The Pagan thing was only done for commercial purposes only. However, it does NOT define the true meaning and reason as to why we celebrate this holiday in the first place.

I see my questions baked your noodle for a good minute. :) I'm glad you're giving this some genuine thought.

First, how do you define a "true Christian?"

Moreover, the origin of Christmas is literally Yule. Think about it. Even the terminology we use (for example, "yuletide," which is defined as pertaining to Christmas or the Christmas season) clearly indicates a derivative. We don't say "Christide."

In fact, it's arguable whether Jesus was even born during the Winter. On the other hand, Yule was meant to celebrate the death and rebirth of the Sun (now Son) God. This is because during the winter solstice, for three days usually beginning (I think) on the 21st, the sun will appear to stop in the sky as it's setting for observers north of the Latitude 66.5 degrees North due to the Earth's tilt on its axis. This was perceived by ancient pagans as the sun "dying," or, perhaps more accurately, "stopping." On the third day, the sun "rises again," or actually continues to set rather than appearing to hover just above the horizon.

If you accept that this is not substantive enough reason to completely reject faith, then you must instead accept that it's all in the way you look at it.

So, atheists can have Thanksgiving after all.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:27:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 2:13:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/17/2011 2:01:44 PM, inferno wrote:

Most true Christians do not celebrate Halloween. The origin of Christmas is religious and was intended to be for the birth of Baby Jesus. The Pagan thing was only done for commercial purposes only. However, it does NOT define the true meaning and reason as to why we celebrate this holiday in the first place.

Sorry, but if you truly believe that you don't really understand the origins of christmas. The time of year is not even correct, considering they wanted it to concede with another pagan festival. A lot of this was to convert pagans.

Yes, I do. Read em all, and this is not news to me. The meaning of Christmas is Christ. This Paganism is irrelevent. The gift giving was done in Bethlehem and this became a tradition that was carried on by word of mouth.
The time and season may be different, yes. But the official date was made during the later part of the year. But be that as it may, our intentions are religious ones indeed. And this is also a celebration worldwide. Thanksgiving unfortunately is not.
E.BurnumIII
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:45:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 12:53:59 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:45:04 PM, E.BurnumIII wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Why go to McDonalds? I don't go there any normal day why should I go on thanksgiving. If my family made some of my favorite food should I say, "I'm going to pass on my favorite food because religious people are celebrating thanksgiving today and I don't want to be confused as a celebrator of thanksgiving so, even though I normally don't eat there, I'm going to McDonalds?" That is absurd. Your thinking is screwed up on this topic.

If you do not believe in God, then why are you celebrating a time that is in Honor Of Him. You seem to be playing yourselves here today. Just admit it. You are under the influence and power of religion and Christianity. Our world is so much bigger and better than yours. You are an outsider and your views and opinions are only fallible at best. It has no meaning, and we have no admiration for your kind.

So basically, by your logic, if I eat any food other than McDonalds on a day you claim is for god, I am celebrating god. I would love to cure your ignorance in a debate.
"We must not allow the disastrous results of corporatism to be ascribed incorrectly to free market capitalism"
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2011 2:49:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/17/2011 2:45:48 PM, E.BurnumIII wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:53:59 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:45:04 PM, E.BurnumIII wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:07:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 12:01:47 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:57:30 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:55:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:51:32 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:18:57 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
At 11/17/2011 11:01:29 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered why do these worthless beings known as Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving. You do realize that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims were praying and giving thanks to the Creator. This is the foundation and reason for this holiday. So everytime you take a bite into a delicious turkey or pecan pie, remember one thing. It was religion that saved you. Say cheese. =)

Ahem. I appreciate your existence as well.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I eat a ton of food on the fourth Thursday of November with my family, and am thankful for what I have everyday. Congrats on being ignorant.

Yes, you do. If not, then why dont you find yourself at a Mickey D's on that day.
=)

Because my family (who are not athiests) make delicious foods, and I take advantage of the fact that it's there. It would be a shame to let it ll go to waste. Nice try.

That was a lame excuse. You are celebrating a religious holiday. There is no escape from this one pal. =)

Idiot.. lol Actually we are celebrating a non-religious holiday called dinner time. lol

Again. Find your nearest McDonald's on that day. I doubt that you have the guts to forsake a delicious Thanksgiving meal made fresh from scratch. Hows that tummy coming along. I hear it growling. (grrrrrrrr)

Why go to McDonalds? I don't go there any normal day why should I go on thanksgiving. If my family made some of my favorite food should I say, "I'm going to pass on my favorite food because religious people are celebrating thanksgiving today and I don't want to be confused as a celebrator of thanksgiving so, even though I normally don't eat there, I'm going to McDonalds?" That is absurd. Your thinking is screwed up on this topic.

If you do not believe in God, then why are you celebrating a time that is in Honor Of Him. You seem to be playing yourselves here today. Just admit it. You are under the influence and power of religion and Christianity. Our world is so much bigger and better than yours. You are an outsider and your views and opinions are only fallible at best. It has no meaning, and we have no admiration for your kind.

So basically, by your logic, if I eat any food other than McDonalds on a day you claim is for god, I am celebrating god. I would love to cure your ignorance in a debate.

If what you do at McDonald's is just casual dining, then obviously you are not conscious about the art of giving thanks. But the food you eat is not the real issue here. But if you do eat food among Christians, who say grace, bow heads in prayer, show devotion, meditate, etc. Then yes, that would be considered Thanksgiving.