Jump to topic:

I need some advice!

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:56:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been trying to have an intelligent conversation on religion on here since I came. Seems nobody on this board understands logic, syllogisms, fallacies or anything remotely close to it. So I tried to teach people about these things, but people could not grasp it as they failed to understand what the words mean. Now, I could go back and teach about what each word means, but in a debate site that should not be necessary. So, please explain to me how I can actually have an intelligent conversation on this board. Is it even possible?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 9:10:02 AM
there's no such thing as an intelligent conversation on religion... waste of time.

....what's a syllogism? sounds dirty.
signature
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 9:18:28 AM
At 11/23/2011 9:10:02 AM, badger wrote:
there's no such thing as an intelligent conversation on religion... waste of time.

Exactly the problem around here people don't understand the consequences of religion and why the truth has to be found and then the second part I would take as a joke, but JustCallmeTarzan and many others don't have a clue, so it could be serious.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 9:24:41 AM
At 11/23/2011 8:56:49 AM, izbo10 wrote:
So, please explain to me how I can actually have an intelligent conversation on this board. Is it even possible?

Stop being an a$$hole.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 9:35:19 AM
At 11/23/2011 9:18:28 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 11/23/2011 9:10:02 AM, badger wrote:

Exactly the problem around here people don't understand the consequences of religion and why the truth has to be found and then the second part I would take as a joke, but JustCallmeTarzan and many others don't have a clue, so it could be serious.

one can be logical without knowing the definition of "syllogism"... it's just a word...

and what're the consequences? people getting brainwashed, the odd atrocity, people talking about god, people preaching god, people trying to force their gods on others?

how can you change any of that? how many people have you convinced since you've been here? what you're doing is wasting your time if you're actually trying to make a difference... wasting things is unintelligent.
signature
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 9:54:18 AM
I have been trying to have an intelligent conversation on religion on here since I came. Seems nobody on this board understands logic, syllogisms, fallacies or anything remotely close to it. So I tried to teach people about these things, but people could not grasp it as they failed to understand what the words mean. Now, I could go back and teach about what each word means, but in a debate site that should not be necessary. So, please explain to me how I can actually have an intelligent conversation on this board. Is it even possible?

I would point out several things:
1: Most people you argue with are athiests and share your overall view.
2: Wiploc has pointed out before, if one person says your drunk.... you can dismiss it, if 20 people in the room say your drunk... typically wisdom says you should shutup and sit down.
3: As a Chaplain trained in phsycology you display a troublesome arrogance complex.
4: As a theologian and a philosopher I believe you know little about both and are learning as you go. I believe noone here has a problem with that. The problem is your lack of humility and arrogance display is not going to be well received by other arrogant atheists with their own arrogance complex.
5: Machismo is a common display within the arrogance complex.
6: Notice that most theists are patient with you or choose not to allow your arrogance complex to push them, by avoiding interaction.

May I recommend going to a Church? You need not become a Christian but you can learn personal interaction displayed through the patience of the Pastors and Priests. A priest will have much more time for you.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:02:55 AM
At 11/23/2011 9:54:18 AM, Gileandos wrote:

2: Wiploc has pointed out before, if one person says your drunk.... you can dismiss it, if 20 people in the room say your drunk... typically wisdom says you should shutup and sit down.
3: As a Chaplain trained in phsycology you display a troublesome arrogance complex.
4: As a theologian and a philosopher I believe you know little about both and are learning as you go. I believe noone here has a problem with that. The problem is your lack of humility and arrogance display is not going to be well received by other arrogant atheists with their own arrogance complex.
6: Notice that most theists are patient with you or choose not to allow your arrogance complex to push them, by avoiding interaction.

May I recommend going to a Church? You need not become a Christian but you can learn personal interaction displayed through the patience of the Pastors and Priests. A priest will have much more time for you.

By being a philosopher and theologian, do you just mean that you study both of these as hobbies?
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:05:14 AM
At 11/23/2011 10:02:55 AM, Rusty wrote:

By being a philosopher and theologian, do you just mean that you study both of these as hobbies?

I'm only asking because you also called yourself a scientist in another thread, so either you're very very qualified, you have a less strict version of the word(s) or you throw around titles a lot. No offense.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:19:02 AM

Here is a suggestion: Quit it with the ad hominems.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:21:15 AM
At 11/23/2011 10:05:14 AM, Rusty wrote:
At 11/23/2011 10:02:55 AM, Rusty wrote:

I'm only asking because you also called yourself a scientist in another thread, so either you're very very qualified, you have a less strict version of the word(s) or you throw around titles a lot. No offense.

No problem.
I will explain.

I have a Christian BA in Theology. This covers both Philosophy and Theology. I am working on my Masters currently in Theology and will then proceed to Masters in Divinity and Philosophy after.

I have worked as a Chaplain for many years within a Hospital and trained within that framework of Theology and Phsycology. (Not Physciatry)

I am currently finishing my BA in Physics with a Post Bacculaurete in High School Teaching, with a Minor in Chemistry.
I currently run experimental engineering homestead farm.

I also have run several multi-million dollar businesses along the east coast.
I currently own a cleaning company where I develop the Chemical cleaners and I am the lead Chemist.
I am working on stablizing Hydrogen Peroxide within a Natural/Organic Cleaning Formula with Non-Toxic and Natural stablizers.

Needless to say I do not watch T.V. I utterly miss T.V. references. I just learned about some people called cardashians from my family. Apparently urban icons...
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:26:10 AM
At 11/23/2011 10:21:42 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 11/23/2011 10:04:01 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:
I syllogismed all over a cute chick last night.

ROFL, sinner.

Just like us, Gileandos.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:31:39 AM
I thought Izbo might of actually needed some advice like about
women,finances ect...

C'mon think about something else besides attacking religion.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 5:56:37 PM
Though you seem to be slightly more intelligent, I really wish you would stop being the equivalent of inferno for atheism.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 6:14:00 PM
At 11/23/2011 5:56:37 PM, rogue wrote:
Though you seem to be slightly more intelligent, I really wish you would stop being the equivalent of inferno for atheism.

This post is dead serious, all we get is straw men, arguments from ignorance, infinite regress, assertions and many other fallacies that you people love. It is terrible and needs to stop.

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 7:01:41 PM
At 11/23/2011 10:21:15 AM, Gileandos wrote:

I just learned about some people called cardashians from my family. Apparently urban icons...

LOL I just had a vision in my mind of a Cardassian Kardashian...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:30:52 PM
At 11/23/2011 6:14:00 PM, izbo10 wrote:

This post is dead serious, all we get is straw men, arguments from ignorance, infinite regress, assertions and many other fallacies that you people love. It is terrible and needs to stop.

You don't want to have a discussion about anything. You want to lecture and dictate. There is no point to your pursuit of trying to break peoples faith in God. You think God is a material thing that you should be able to label and put your finger on and reproduce like germs in a petri dish. Faith in God comes from the heart , mind and soul. Not a text book and a petri dish. To try and find scientific or concrete material evidence is your first and every mistake. You can't see God you can't smell God you can't taste God, you can't hear God. You feel his presence in your heart and it sets you free from angst and hopelessness. This is something quite frankly you will never experience nor want to experience. You crave angst and confrontation for things you have no control over. Your heart is filled with rage and angst.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:37:07 PM

^This. While at this juncture I do indeed disagree with you on religion, what you've said is spot-on.

Although I'm only interested in psychology as a hobby, one look at common symptoms for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and it's clear to see our izbo is most likely a sufferer.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:43:42 PM
At 11/23/2011 8:30:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

You don't want to have a discussion about anything. You want to lecture and dictate. There is no point to your pursuit of trying to break peoples faith in God. You think God is a material thing that you should be able to label and put your finger on and reproduce like germs in a petri dish. Faith in God comes from the heart , mind and soul. Not a text book and a petri dish. To try and find scientific or concrete material evidence is your first and every mistake. You can't see God you can't smell God you can't taste God, you can't hear God. You feel his presence in your heart and it sets you free from angst and hopelessness. This is something quite frankly you will never experience nor want to experience. You crave angst and confrontation for things you have no control over. Your heart is filled with rage and angst.

People are evil, not faith in god. Evil people use faith as a cover to do evil. Faith gets blamed. A person who believes in God does not do evil. People who pretend to believe in God and use faith as an excuse or tool to do evil is where your angst and rage should be focused.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:56:37 PM
At 11/23/2011 9:24:41 AM, drafterman wrote:
So, please explain to me how I can actually have an intelligent conversation on this board. Is it even possible?

Stop being an a$$hole.

This.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:03:00 PM

agreed but you go about everything the wrong way.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:05:26 PM
At 11/23/2011 8:43:42 PM, sadolite wrote:

People are evil, not faith in god. Evil people use faith as a cover to do evil. Faith gets blamed. A person who believes in God does not do evil. People who pretend to believe in God and use faith as an excuse or tool to do evil is where your angst and rage should be focused.

That's just dumb. You can't prove that every evil person just "pretends" to believe in God and it is highly unlikely for that to be true. Judas, Hitler, Charles Manson and many others truly believed in God. Faith in God is not inherently evil, but it is inherently dangerous.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:06:12 PM
So going around respecting and not calling out stupidity is how it works. If they don't grasp logic, then using logic against them isn't going to work as people like JCMT thinks an assertion is logical.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:07:39 PM
At 11/23/2011 10:06:12 PM, izbo10 wrote:
So going around respecting and not calling out stupidity is how it works. If they don't grasp logic, then using logic against them isn't going to work as people like JCMT thinks an assertion is logical.

Can you quote someone actually saying this?
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:10:48 PM

You don't want to have a discussion about anything. You want to lecture and dictate. There is no point to your pursuit of trying to break peoples faith in God. You think God is a material thing that you should be able to label and put your finger on and reproduce like germs in a petri dish. Faith in God comes from the heart , mind and soul.

There is no reason to believe in a mind or a soul. There is no evidence to warrant the existence of a soul. There is no mind, there is the brain.

Not a text book and a petri dish. To try and find scientific or concrete material evidence is your first and every mistake. You can't see God you can't smell God you can't taste God, you can't hear God.

Then why should I believe in God?

You feel his presence in your heart and it sets you free from angst and hopelessness.

So everything that sets me free from angst and hopelessness is God?

This is something quite frankly you will never experience nor want to experience. You crave angst and confrontation for things you have no control over. Your heart is filled with rage and angst.

Well I am an atheist and I can make myself feel those "feelings" if I want to. But I know that I felt that comfort because I wanted to, not because God was there. We believe things like Santa and God because we want to. Science has proven human intuition and emotion to be very faulty. I am going to trust science, logic, and reason before faith and emotion since faith and emotion are often wrong while science, reason, and logic prove their validity to be every day.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:12:02 PM

You fight against perfectly reasonable atheists who are intelligent. When everyone thinks you are being ridiculous, you probably are.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:18:10 PM
Trololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
ololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololoooooooooooo!!!!

Cool story, bro.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:20:17 PM
At 11/23/2011 10:12:02 PM, rogue wrote:

You fight against perfectly reasonable atheists who are intelligent. When everyone thinks you are being ridiculous, you probably are.

If you think JCMT or Cerebral are smart please do yourself a favor and actually go take a few logic courses.