Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Questions To Ask Mormons

ianspigler
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:58:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like a Mormon to answer the following questions:

Since the time of Brigham Young who taught that people inhabited the sun and moon has the Mormon church found any scientific evidence of that being true?

If Joesph Smith is a true prophet, why did he make a false prediction about a temple being bulit in Missouri in his own lifetime?

Can you show me any archealogical and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

Why did Joesph smith condone polygamy as an ordinance from God when the Book of Mormon(Jacob 1:15, 2:24) condems the practice?

Can you show me in the Bible the LDS teaching that we all stand before Joesph Smith on Judgement Day?

Since there are several contrdictory accounts of Joesph Smith's first vision how does the Mormon church choose which one is accurate?

source:towertotruthministries.com
thisisnottom
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 12:29:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am not a Mormon and know very little about Mormonism. I am just curious what compelled you to post these questions to Mormons. While I understand perhaps you do not agree with what Mormon's believe, I am just wondering if you are contemplating becoming a Mormon or if your own spiritual journey into understanding humanities multitude of belief systems pushes you toward better understanding of Mormonism?

Just curious what your motivation is

At 11/26/2011 12:58:49 PM, ianspigler wrote:
I would like a Mormon to answer the following questions:

Since the time of Brigham Young who taught that people inhabited the sun and moon has the Mormon church found any scientific evidence of that being true?

If Joesph Smith is a true prophet, why did he make a false prediction about a temple being bulit in Missouri in his own lifetime?

Can you show me any archealogical and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

Why did Joesph smith condone polygamy as an ordinance from God when the Book of Mormon(Jacob 1:15, 2:24) condems the practice?

Can you show me in the Bible the LDS teaching that we all stand before Joesph Smith on Judgement Day?

Since there are several contrdictory accounts of Joesph Smith's first vision how does the Mormon church choose which one is accurate?

source:towertotruthministries.com
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:33:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am not a Mormon, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Can you show me any archealogical and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

I exchanged some emails with a Mormon a few years ago, and I posted some of our exchange on my blog. In one of his emails, the fellow I was talking to gave me some evidences for the Book of Mormon.

http://philochristos.blogspot.com...

Jeff Lindsay has a whole web page on evidences for the Book of Mormon.

http://www.jefflindsay.com...

FARMS and FAIR have also presented some evidences.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
tcpanter
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:20:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have recently started researching Mormonism in an attempt to find out if there is any validity to its claims. I am an Atheist but I wanted to find out as much as I could before I said anything about the church.

My research has lead me to believe the Mormon church is one of the best fraudulant religions to pop up in history. It is so obviously false and yet there are millions of people around the world who believe in it 100%

My reasons for pursuing this line of questioning is to learn about and challenge fallacious beliefs and Mormonism is right near the top.
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 9:08:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi. I am a Mormon and have some questions and answers for you if I can.

I would like to know your sources for these next two points. I have never even hear of the first one, and out of context it is hard to respond.

Since the time of Brigham Young who taught that people inhabited the sun and moon has the Mormon church found any scientific evidence of that being true?

Even if Brigham Young did say this, which I am not entirely sure of, it isn't necessarily our doctrine. We believe that even our Prophets can have opinions about things. However, when they receive revelation from God we know it is true. These two things are often confused.

If Joseph Smith is a true prophet, why did he make a false prediction about a temple being built in Missouri in his own lifetime?

Your source would be helpful for the point above. I believe, however that he said the temple would be build there. We still do believe that it will be built there eventually.

Can you show me any archaeological and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

What is it exactly that makes a "mormonic" source less viable. I am not really sure what you want on this question. The question of the validity of the Book of Mormon is really more of a spiritual one. Just as knowing whether God exists or the Bible is true. Without that no amount of archaeological evidence would suffice. So what exactly do you want? A rock that had Mormon's name on it? Rivers?

Why did Joseph smith condone polygamy as an ordinance from God when the Book of Mormon(Jacob 1:15, 2:24) condems the practice?

God does not exclusively prohibit this practice, but should only ever be done by his command. Reading a few verses on it.

Jacob 2:30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Can you show me in the Bible the LDS teaching that we all stand before Joesph Smith on Judgement Day?

Again, I am not sure what your source is for that. We will all stand before God and his son. I think it might be possible that the prophets of God will be there. The bible does say that everything will be established by two or more witnesses. So I suppose it is possible that they will testify of the warnings they gave the people.

Since there are several contrdictory accounts of Joesph Smith's first vision how does the Mormon church choose which one is accurate?

I have read many of these accounts and don't really find them contradictory. I think that this page is highly instructive on the matter though: http://en.fairmormon.org...'s_First_Vision .

My biggest question to you really is what are the point of all these questions? These seem very random. There are a lot of simpler questions that have to be understood first for any of these things to make sense.

I would advise visiting mormon.org for a better understanding of our core beliefs.
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 10:08:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would like to know why Mormons believe in alien morons or Moroni? It seems a moronic way to base your religion.
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 10:13:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 10:08:38 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
I would like to know why Mormons believe in alien morons or Moroni? It seems a moronic way to base your religion.

It appears you don't know much about our religion. Our religion is based on Jesus Christ. Moroni was simply the name of a prophet. This comes from another book of scriptures called the Book of Mormon. It recounts the history of a people in the Americas and there relationship with God. God called prophets in the Americas just like he did in the bible. Mormon and Moroni are the last two prophets to write in the book.

If you want to actually know what we believe please visit mormon.org
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 11:07:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 10:13:20 AM, jvisker wrote:
At 4/10/2014 10:08:38 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
I would like to know why Mormons believe in alien morons or Moroni? It seems a moronic way to base your religion.

It appears you don't know much about our religion. Our religion is based on Jesus Christ. Moroni was simply the name of a prophet. This comes from another book of scriptures called the Book of Mormon. It recounts the history of a people in the Americas and there relationship with God. God called prophets in the Americas just like he did in the bible. Mormon and Moroni are the last two prophets to write in the book.

If you want to actually know what we believe please visit mormon.org

I'm sure you have seen lists of the discrepancies between the Book of Mormon (and Doctrine and Covenants) and the Bible, so I won't go into a list. I remember that one of the contradictions involved, amazingly enough, the city of Jesus's birth.

How do you account for these contradictions, assuming you believe there are contradictions?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 11:24:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/26/2011 12:58:49 PM, ianspigler wrote:
I would like a Mormon to answer the following questions:

Since the time of Brigham Young who taught that people inhabited the sun and moon has the Mormon church found any scientific evidence of that being true?

If Joesph Smith is a true prophet, why did he make a false prediction about a temple being bulit in Missouri in his own lifetime?

Can you show me any archealogical and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

Why did Joesph smith condone polygamy as an ordinance from God when the Book of Mormon(Jacob 1:15, 2:24) condems the practice?

Can you show me in the Bible the LDS teaching that we all stand before Joesph Smith on Judgement Day?

Since there are several contrdictory accounts of Joesph Smith's first vision how does the Mormon church choose which one is accurate?

source:towertotruthministries.com

towertotruthministries.com looks almost as bad as Mormonism:

"Only the omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit can open their eyes and hearts to understand spiritual truth. Pray that God will be present and active during your encounter"

"the natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God; they are foolishness to him (1 Co. 2:14). The Jehovah"s Witness you are encountering is not born-again. He doesn"t have the Holy Spirit leading him into truth. He can"t understand the deep things of God."

http://www.towertotruth.net...

The above is ridiculous at worst, and poorly-worded at best. Whoever wrote it looks as if he is trying to say that the Holy Spirit leads him around, separate and distinct from the scriptures - and that to properly understand the Spirit-inspired scriptures, the Spirit must come along and "illuminate" or "enlighten" what the Spirit inspired in the first place. That's a dangerous little position to occupy, for it places a premium on "feelings".

The article is talking about converting Witnesses. Very well. One doesn't do it by citing passages and telling him that perchance the Spirit will "illuminate" him. One doesn't say that "Oh, you can't understand it because you aren't born again."

I'll guarantee that if someone asks the author to put the following in order, he'll return with the most mixed-up mess imaginable:

(1) Love
(2) Repentance
(3) Belief
(4) Baptism
(5) Reception of the Holy Spirit's gift
(6) Forgiveness of sins
(7) Hearing the gospel

It's not that hard, but when somebody starts talking about "the Spirit's leading me", that's a red flag.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 7:07:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 11:24:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 11/26/2011 12:58:49 PM, ianspigler wrote:
I would like a Mormon to answer the following questions:

Since the time of Brigham Young who taught that people inhabited the sun and moon has the Mormon church found any scientific evidence of that being true?

If Joesph Smith is a true prophet, why did he make a false prediction about a temple being bulit in Missouri in his own lifetime?

Can you show me any archealogical and historic proof from non-mormonic sources that prove the events and people in the Book of Mormon are true?

Why did Joesph smith condone polygamy as an ordinance from God when the Book of Mormon(Jacob 1:15, 2:24) condems the practice?

Can you show me in the Bible the LDS teaching that we all stand before Joesph Smith on Judgement Day?

Since there are several contrdictory accounts of Joesph Smith's first vision how does the Mormon church choose which one is accurate?

source:towertotruthministries.com

towertotruthministries.com looks almost as bad as Mormonism:

"Only the omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit can open their eyes and hearts to understand spiritual truth. Pray that God will be present and active during your encounter"

"the natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God; they are foolishness to him (1 Co. 2:14). The Jehovah"s Witness you are encountering is not born-again. He doesn"t have the Holy Spirit leading him into truth. He can"t understand the deep things of God."

http://www.towertotruth.net...

The above is ridiculous at worst, and poorly-worded at best. Whoever wrote it looks as if he is trying to say that the Holy Spirit leads him around, separate and distinct from the scriptures - and that to properly understand the Spirit-inspired scriptures, the Spirit must come along and "illuminate" or "enlighten" what the Spirit inspired in the first place. That's a dangerous little position to occupy, for it places a premium on "feelings".

The article is talking about converting Witnesses. Very well. One doesn't do it by citing passages and telling him that perchance the Spirit will "illuminate" him. One doesn't say that "Oh, you can't understand it because you aren't born again."

I'll guarantee that if someone asks the author to put the following in order, he'll return with the most mixed-up mess imaginable:

(1) Love
(2) Repentance
(3) Belief
(4) Baptism
(5) Reception of the Holy Spirit's gift
(6) Forgiveness of sins
(7) Hearing the gospel

It's not that hard, but when somebody starts talking about "the Spirit's leading me", that's a red flag.

I think it is clear that I have some differing views from the person of whom you criticize. However, I think it can be stated that your attitude really is no different from his. Is it not possible for us to discuss our beliefs and be civil?

It is especially irritating when you speak for the author. Your list that he would put in order is a straw man attack. You don't know what he would say. So don't imply that you do.

As for a need for guiding people, I don't know if there is much to argue with. The Scriptures abound with references to it.

Christ speaks of how he will send the spirit to testify of him.

John 15
26. But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
27. And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Christ also clearly states that the Holy Ghost will guide us to truth.

John 16
12. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Anyways. I am not trying to bash on you. I am not saying that the spirit replaces the scriptures. There is a definite place for the scriptures. However, the spirit is there to help us understand them. Words cannot always convey the full power. The combination of them and the spirit, however, is very strong.

For example, the Bible speaks of God's love for us. Those words don't convey that knowledge to us however. We can feel his love for us through the spirit though.

That being said, people will not be led by the spirit to do things that contradict the scriptures. God is not divided against himself. Many people pretend that they are inspired and are not. There are many, though, that are inspired and enlightened by the spirit. The spirit bears testimony of God's truths.

Just some food for thought. Just know that some people who you think are charlatans are really people who have strong convictions and beliefs in God.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:08:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Jvisker: "There is a definite place for the scriptures. However, the spirit is there to help us understand them. "

Anna: That, in my opinion, is a dangerous doctrine. Are the scriptures as written so cloudy, so befuddled, that they cannot be understood unless the Spirit comes along and illuminates them?

jvisker: "Christ also clearly states that the Holy Ghost will guide us to truth."

Anna: ... and that's exactly what He did: he guided the first-century Christians into the truth, into the "all things that pertain to life, and godliness." When you hold a decent Bible translation in your hand, do you not possess the complete, the final, the authoritative will of God as revealed to the authors by the Holy Spirit? If so, what more need do you have?

By the way, Jesus Christ did not promise everyone the Holy Ghost personally, in order for Him to personally direct each and every one into the truth. He promised it to His disciples in order that they might convey the truth to others.

jvisker: "Anyways. I am not trying to bash on you."

Anna: You aren't.

jvisker: "For example, the Bible speaks of God's love for us. Those words don't convey that knowledge to us however. We can feel his love for us through the spirit though."

Anna: No, you don't. You feel the love of God because you believe the testimony of Spirit-inspired men who told you about it - and certified it in a plain and simple manner. You do not have, nor need, the Holy Spirit to come alone and reassure you that God loves you. "Jesus love me, This I know, For the Bible tells me so" - and that's the only way you'd know it.

jvisker: "That being said, people will not be led by the spirit to do things that contradict the scriptures."

Anna: I'll agree with you there because they are not directly, personally led by the Spirit in the first place. They are led by the Spirit has He conveys the divine will through the word - not separate and distinct from it.

jvisker: "There are many, though, that are inspired and enlightened by the spirit. "

Anna: Through the word, yes. Not directly. In fact, there is hardly a thing that the Spirit is said to do for us that is not also accomplished by the written/spoken word. And there is nothing that the Spirit does in conviction and conversion that is not done by the word.

jvisker: "Just some food for thought. Just know that some people who you think are charlatans are really people who have strong convictions and beliefs in God."

Anna: I do not question the strength of their convictions. I question the accuracy of them.

To me, it is very dangerous to pat a Jehovah's Witness on the head and say, "Well, I'm sorry, but you are not born again, so the Spirit will not enlighten up the scriptures for you. The Spirit will not personally and directly lead you." That's not true. It's a mountain of error.

The Spirit inspired the scriptures in an understandable manner - in such a way that if a man wants to know what to do to be saved before sun up, he can read the examples of conversion in the book of Acts and find out. And when he is reading the scriptures, he IS being led by the Spirit. It is not a question of the Spirit leading, it is a question of, "How?"

The author of that little webpage would lead on to believe that the Spirit leads directly and personally, in a manner separate and distinct from the word of God. That's the problem.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 10:43:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thanks for the interesting discussion. Out of curiosity I have some follow up questions:

Probably the first greatest one is what is the Holy Spirit to you?

Because I believe that it is real and can bless our lives. The New Testament supports this notion

Acts 19
2. He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John"s baptism.

4. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Next I was wondering about something you said:
The Spirit inspired the scriptures in an understandable manner - in such a way that if a man wants to know what to do to be saved before sun up, he can read the examples of conversion in the book of Acts and find out. And when he is reading the scriptures, he IS being led by the Spirit. It is not a question of the Spirit leading, it is a question of, "How?"

So if I understand correctly you are saying that because the spirit inspired the prophets and apostles that wrote the Bible, that this is the way that people are led by the spirit? If so, I certainly don't disagree with you. However, I would add that there is more. The words are powerful, but they have to be delivered to the heart and not just the mind. What would you say if I said the Holy Spirit helps change peoples hearts when they read God's words? In fact it bears witness of all truths for example

Romans 8
16. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together

This passage is clearly not just talking to the apostles who are teaching. So what does it mean to you than?

Last of all I bring up the idea of communication with God. First I must say that I love the Bible and believe it to be his words. However, why do you think that God is limited to only those pages? If the Bible teaches anything, it teaches that God communicated with many of his children. Some he talked to directly, but many just felt him in their hearts. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Would not God's words, no matter how they come, be just as powerful. Isn't that the reason that they are powerful? Because they are HIS words.

In conclusion I quote Ephesians 4

1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

If you have noticed there isn't really a unity of the faith as of yet. Even among those that are the most studious of the Bible, there are a lot of varying opinions. If Gods truths are immutable and eternal, than how is it that they are understood so differently? This passage explains that God called his apostles and prophets to avoid the confusion that ensues without heavenly direction.

Anyways, just some things to think about. I won't bother you any more, unless you are interested in continuing the conversation. If you are I would love to hear your response.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 2:19:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
jvisker: Anyways, just some things to think about. I won't bother you any more, unless you are interested in continuing the conversation. If you are I would love to hear your response.

It doesn't bother me in the least. I usually learn something from discussions.

jvisker: "Probably the first greatest one is what is the Holy Spirit to you? "


He is the 3rd person of the godhead, and His main function (although there were others) was and is to reveal the will of God to mankind. The methodology which He employs may change, but this would be the main function.

jvisker: "So if I understand correctly you are saying that because the spirit inspired the prophets and apostles that wrote the Bible, that this is the way that people are led by the spirit?"

Absolutely. I have likened the direct, personal leading of the Spirit that occurred, definitely occurred, in the first century to the scaffolding that supports the building in its immature states. But when the building is on solid footing and construction is complete, the scaffolding is removed - and the building stands on its own. When I read the words of the New Testament in particular, I am being led by the Spirit.

"For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Heb 4: 12)

jvisker: 'However, I would add that there is more. The words are powerful, but they have to be delivered to the heart and not just the mind. What would you say if I said the Holy Spirit helps change peoples hearts when they read God's words? In fact it bears witness of all truths for example"

Delivering the words to the mind is delivering them to the heart.

What would you say if I said the Holy Spirit helps change peoples hearts when they read God's words?

I would say that is correct. When people read God's word, the Spirit is then and there communicating with man, the result of which can be a change of heart. What I have to be careful of is that I do not leave the idea that the Spirit is changing people's hearts by communicating with them outside of the word, speaking to them in direct fashion.

I have heard preachers get up and say something along the lines of, "I had planned on preaching on, say, "giving", but during the last song the Lord just laid it on my heart to preach on so-and-so." Now, the preacher may have changed his mind. Something in the song may have changed his mind. But one thing I'm pretty sure of: neither the Lord, nor the Spirit, "laid it on his heart" to change his sermon

jvisker: "Last of all I bring up the idea of communication with God. First I must say that I love the Bible and believe it to be his words. However, why do you think that God is limited to only those pages?"


Because by the close of inspiration (which I believe equates with sometime around the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70), the need for personal, direct communication ended.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 8:29:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Because by the close of inspiration (which I believe equates with sometime around the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70), the need for personal, direct communication ended.

What is your reasoning for the "close of inspiration"? Is it that the Bible ends at that point?
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 9:30:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 10:13:20 AM, jvisker wrote:
At 4/10/2014 10:08:38 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
I would like to know why Mormons believe in alien morons or Moroni? It seems a moronic way to base your religion.

It appears you don't know much about our religion. Our religion is based on Jesus Christ. Moroni was simply the name of a prophet. This comes from another book of scriptures called the Book of Mormon. It recounts the history of a people in the Americas and there relationship with God. God called prophets in the Americas just like he did in the bible. Mormon and Moroni are the last two prophets to write in the book.

If you want to actually know what we believe please visit mormon.org

Ariel: I did visit a Mormon site and a commenter there summarized Mormon beliefs as follows:

Spoke with a celestial being known as Moroni who told Joseph he came from the Pleiades!
Mormons believe that God lives on a distant planet.

The hill Cumorah is actually an Indian mound that is a monument of some kind to ancient astronauts.

Are these Mormon beliefs or not? Please tell the truth. There's a big difference between prophet and alien you know..
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 9:39:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Aliens are icky gucky crab people driving flying saucers badly who eat human brains for lunch and want to take over every planet in the universe, while prophets drive Mercs, (short for Murkabah, Chariot of God) and eat only honey and locusts.
jvisker
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:12:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 9:30:35 AM, arielmessenger wrote:
At 4/11/2014 10:13:20 AM, jvisker wrote:
At 4/10/2014 10:08:38 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
I would like to know why Mormons believe in alien morons or Moroni? It seems a moronic way to base your religion.

It appears you don't know much about our religion. Our religion is based on Jesus Christ. Moroni was simply the name of a prophet. This comes from another book of scriptures called the Book of Mormon. It recounts the history of a people in the Americas and there relationship with God. God called prophets in the Americas just like he did in the bible. Mormon and Moroni are the last two prophets to write in the book.

If you want to actually know what we believe please visit mormon.org

Ariel: I did visit a Mormon site and a commenter there summarized Mormon beliefs as follows:

Spoke with a celestial being known as Moroni who told Joseph he came from the Pleiades!
Mormons believe that God lives on a distant planet.

The hill Cumorah is actually an Indian mound that is a monument of some kind to ancient astronauts.

Are these Mormon beliefs or not? Please tell the truth. There's a big difference between prophet and alien you know..

I am not sure where you are getting Pleiades from... We do believe an ANGEL came and talked to Joseph Smith. If God lives on a different planet, then so what? Do you know where heaven is?

The Hill Cumorah is where the ancient records that were eventually translated into the Book of Mormon where stored. We don't worship the hill, and any Indian belief as a monument to astronauts is unrelated to our beliefs.

We also know what prophets are. They are men called of God to teach the people his will.

Please don't act like we are stupid. We are not a cult and we are Christians. Your curiosity is fine, but your mocking attitude is a little tiring.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 2:29:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 8:29:20 AM, jvisker wrote:
Because by the close of inspiration (which I believe equates with sometime around the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70), the need for personal, direct communication ended.

What is your reasoning for the "close of inspiration"? Is it that the Bible ends at that point?

Yes
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 2:40:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm not even really an active mormon, but you guys are being stupid, idiotic, and offensive.

At least get the beliefs right before you mindlessly strawman them. 98% of the claims against mormonism I saw in this thread were bullcrap lies spread by Christians who think mormons still condone polygamy.
Keltron
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:13:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
[quote]What is it exactly that makes a "mormonic" source less viable. I am not really sure what you want on this question. The question of the validity of the Book of Mormon is really more of a spiritual one. Just as knowing whether God exists or the Bible is true. Without that no amount of archaeological evidence would suffice. So what exactly do you want? A rock that had Mormon's name on it? Rivers?[/quote]

The question was if there are any mainstream academic sources which confirm the version of American history presented in the Mormon sources. This is an important question because without that independent verification archaeology and historical analysis become a matter of faith and not science. If one is to accept pseudo-history and pseudo-science as a matter of belief, what will one not be willing to believe? This sort of intellectual compartmentalization destroys one's ability to exercise critical thought, does it not?