Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

sex.

slmjml
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 8:09:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

Sex is not bad. Sex is good. very good. We all know this right?
God invented sex, He crafted our bodies.
A separate statement entirely is 'sex outside of a loving and stable relationship is bad.'
I, and a great many non-Christians, would agree with this statement.
To 'sleep with anyone at any time' opens up an absolutely unmanageable moral conundrum:
How many is too many? how many is enough? Why stay with this one if a better one comes along?
Sex is too important, too spiritual if you will, to be disregarded in this way.
I would go as far to say that unless you are fully committed to one person you are not actually engaging in real sex, only a shallow and grotty imitation of it.. somewhere between masturbation and the real thing.
I read someplace that soon after the October revolution the Bolsheviks encouraged young people to 'throw off the constraints of bourgeois sexual morality'.
Things broke down so rapidly that they had to clamp down very hard on it to prevent the complete breakdown of their fledgling society.
Since the 1960s we have been experiencing a very similar (yet subtler and more insidious) collapse in our own western society

Divorce is up. Teenage pregnancies are up. Abortion is up.

God knows what He's doing and He knows what is best for us.

Genesis 2:24 (The Message)

23-25 The Man said,
"Finally! Bone of my bone,
flesh of my flesh!
Name her Woman
for she was made from Man."
Therefore a man leaves his father and mother and embraces his wife. They become one flesh.
The two of them, the Man and his Wife, were naked, but they felt no shame.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 2:01:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

Kind of. Catholic positions on sex are based on their idea of natural law and in an older context the Jewish concept that only a male was required for new life - the woman was simply the recepticle (no knowledge of ovaries). Hence masturbation and condoms was literally seen as killing life. Divorce is frowned upon, because for Catholics you made a sacrament with Jesus.

Eph 5: 25-32
EmyG
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 3:50:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Personally, I find nothing wrong with sex if you're into that kind of thing.
I think it's mostly the emotional attachment to that person.
And about purity.

But, as stated by Dr. House, "You gotta have sex before you get married. What if you don't like having sex with that person?"
Break Dance.Not Hearts
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2009 2:36:45 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

Beginning to feel a little side-lined were we? (poor old JBlake doesn't know whether he's coming or going!)

Yes the early Catholic fathers preached that sex must only be for pro creation and not for pleasure.(as recorded by the venerable Bede.)

BUT Paul clearly teaches that husbands and wives are too give themselves to each other without restraint. WHOOHOOOOO!

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2009 2:50:31 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 2:01:02 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

Kind of. Catholic positions on sex are based on their idea of natural law and in an older context the Jewish concept that only a male was required for new life - the woman was simply the recepticle (no knowledge of ovaries). Hence masturbation and condoms was literally seen as killing life. Divorce is frowned upon, because for Catholics you made a sacrament with Jesus.

Eph 5: 25-32

Ephesians 5:25-32 (New King James Version)
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body,[a] of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."[b] 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.


Divorce is still frowned upon for the same reason, namely we become one flesh.
The Bible clearly teaches that life begins at conception. So on the one hand we have people saying 'no it begins in the testicles' and on the other hand 'no at 14 weeks'. (or wherever the bar is now for the murder of the unborn)
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2009 3:02:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 3:50:59 PM, EmyG wrote:
Personally, I find nothing wrong with sex if you're into that kind of thing.
I think it's mostly the emotional attachment to that person.
And about purity.
Mmm.. How very 'emo' of you. There a big problem with emotions.. they come and go.. some days you really love your spouse and some days you don't.. It's the marriage, the DECISION that holds you together. Or should.

But, as stated by Dr. House, "You gotta have sex before you get married. What if you don't like having sex with that person?"

Doesn't sound very pure to me. Having sex with someELSES future husband or wife.
IF you love talking to someone and being around them constantly and you love being generally affectionate to them THEN you will love having sex with them.

James 4:4 (New King James Version)
4 Adulterers and[a] adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.


You're gonna take 'House' over the Word of God? Really?
The Cross.. the Cross.
slmjml
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2009 7:18:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 8:09:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

Sex is not bad. Sex is good. very good. We all know this right?
God invented sex, He crafted our bodies.
A separate statement entirely is 'sex outside of a loving and stable relationship is bad.'
I, and a great many non-Christians, would agree with this statement.
To 'sleep with anyone at any time' opens up an absolutely unmanageable moral conundrum:
How many is too many? how many is enough? Why stay with this one if a better one comes along?
Sex is too important, too spiritual if you will, to be disregarded in this way.
I would go as far to say that unless you are fully committed to one person you are not actually engaging in real sex, only a shallow and grotty imitation of it.. somewhere between masturbation and the real thing.
I read someplace that soon after the October revolution the Bolsheviks encouraged young people to 'throw off the constraints of bourgeois sexual morality'.
Things broke down so rapidly that they had to clamp down very hard on it to prevent the complete breakdown of their fledgling society.
Since the 1960s we have been experiencing a very similar (yet subtler and more insidious) collapse in our own western society

Divorce is up. Teenage pregnancies are up. Abortion is up.

God knows what He's doing and He knows what is best for us.

Genesis 2:24 (The Message)

23-25 The Man said,
"Finally! Bone of my bone,
flesh of my flesh!
Name her Woman
for she was made from Man."
Therefore a man leaves his father and mother and embraces his wife. They become one flesh.
The two of them, the Man and his Wife, were naked, but they felt no shame.


thanks for the answer, it was very well put and i acctually enjoyed reading it. :)

although i did know many non-christians are fine with sex, what imlooking for is an answer from a christian conservative who would beat their child for having sex with their bf/gf that theyve been dating for almost 2 years

p.s. this actually happened to my friend :(
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2009 12:20:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/16/2009 3:02:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 5/15/2009 3:50:59 PM, EmyG wrote:
Personally, I find nothing wrong with sex if you're into that kind of thing.
I think it's mostly the emotional attachment to that person.
And about purity.
Mmm.. How very 'emo' of you. There a big problem with emotions.. they come and go.. some days you really love your spouse and some days you don't.. It's the marriage, the DECISION that holds you together. Or should.

But, as stated by Dr. House, "You gotta have sex before you get married. What if you don't like having sex with that person?"

Doesn't sound very pure to me. Having sex with someELSES future husband or wife.
Doesn't sound very sex positive to me, making it sound like humans depreciate with a history of use.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2009 6:22:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/18/2009 7:18:38 PM, slmjml wrote:

thanks for the answer, it was very well put and i acctually enjoyed reading it. :)

although i did know many non-christians are fine with sex, what imlooking for is an answer from a christian conservative who would beat their child for having sex with their bf/gf that theyve been dating for almost 2 years

p.s. this actually happened to my friend :(

Many non-Christian parents beat their children for less serious things. Be careful that you are not trying to purposefully tar Christians, conservative or otherwise, with a brush that really belongs to anyone with a control issue.

Proverbs 17:25 (The Message)
25 A surly, stupid child is sheer pain to a father,
a bitter pill for a mother to swallow.
The Cross.. the Cross.
youngdebater
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 7:02:26 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.

And what would you know about having a good time in bed?

Proverbs 25:14
Whoever falsely boasts of giving Is like clouds and wind without rain.
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 7:06:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/4/2009 7:02:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.

And what would you know about having a good time in bed?


That's what she said!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 8:08:10 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/4/2009 7:06:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/4/2009 7:02:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.

And what would you know about having a good time in bed?


That's what she said!

What 'she'?
The Cross.. the Cross.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 9:15:06 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/4/2009 7:06:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/4/2009 7:02:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.

And what would you know about having a good time in bed?


That's what she said!

Do you not see what he was getting at? DAT just dissed you!

*hi 5's DATCMOTO
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 10:36:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/4/2009 9:15:06 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/4/2009 7:06:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/4/2009 7:02:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/3/2009 8:46:43 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 5/15/2009 7:26:23 AM, slmjml wrote:
im an atheist, and sex in the bible has always baffled me, if sex is how life is made, shouldnt god allow it. and why did god make it so pleasurable? if u say the devil made it pleasurable, then why doesnt god make it unpleasant?

sex is one of the most pleasurable things in life, both physical and emotionally, why should we wait till marriage and why shoud we only share such a wonderful experience with only 1 person in ur life?

note: i do not want no "we can't understand god" or "its to test our faith" etc... answers, i want a legitimate and reasonable answer on how sex is bad, and no std related answers either. plz and ty

well i too am an ateist but if im not mistaken, a majority of your answers will be that god made sex to test us. sex is so good because it is supposed to remind us of gods goodness, and we are not to abuse it. also christians somehow think that sex is supposed to draw people closer to god. i personally would not have a good time in bed if i kept thinking about an old god watching me.

And what would you know about having a good time in bed?


That's what she said!

Do you not see what he was getting at? DAT just dissed you!

*hi 5's DATCMOTO

=D
The Cross.. the Cross.
gonovice
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2009 4:25:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think this topic is very true...well at least the side that says it's ridiculous...
if you aren't supposed to have sex before you get married, then God should do something to make it suck unless you get married...then we wouldn't have to have this discussion now would we?
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 5:16:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/10/2009 4:25:36 PM, gonovice wrote:
I think this topic is very true...well at least the side that says it's ridiculous...
if you aren't supposed to have sex before you get married, then God should do something to make it suck unless you get married...then we wouldn't have to have this discussion now would we?

And then we wouldn't have free-will would we?

Psalm 119:108
Accept, I pray, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD,And teach me Your judgments.
The Cross.. the Cross.
NuncConsurgo
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2009 12:09:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

if anyone would like to know, then no, this is unnacceptable by catholics (and by God, but we don't need to start arguing about what God wants, i'm just saying that catholics are against it FOR God, you follow?)
I am nothing more than a figment of my own imagination.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2009 1:52:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/13/2009 12:09:33 PM, NuncConsurgo wrote:
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

if anyone would like to know, then no, this is unnacceptable by catholics (and by God, but we don't need to start arguing about what God wants, i'm just saying that catholics are against it FOR God, you follow?)

Paul clearly teaches that sex is a joyful thing to be enjoyed for it's own sake and not merely for procreation as the Catholic church has pushed since very early times. (and done a lot of damage with)

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

The Cross.. the Cross.
brittwaller
Posts: 331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 3:09:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/13/2009 1:52:20 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/13/2009 12:09:33 PM, NuncConsurgo wrote:
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

if anyone would like to know, then no, this is unnacceptable by catholics (and by God, but we don't need to start arguing about what God wants, i'm just saying that catholics are against it FOR God, you follow?)

Paul clearly teaches that sex is a joyful thing to be enjoyed for it's own sake and not merely for procreation as the Catholic church has pushed since very early times. (and done a lot of damage with)

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.





"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

-Paul, 1 Corinthians 7:1-8 (in other words, the context that was not provided in the previous saying)

Yes, it is very clear from "It is good for a man not to touch a woman" and "it is better to marry than to burn" that Paul thought sex was to be enjoyed in and of itself...
Don't I take care of them all?
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 11:10:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/17/2009 3:09:28 PM, brittwaller wrote:
At 6/13/2009 1:52:20 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/13/2009 12:09:33 PM, NuncConsurgo wrote:
At 5/15/2009 8:41:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In this case, it is fine. I am personally ignoring all useless posts, and opening poster is asking for a Christian explanation, and DATCMOTO has given one. Whether or not his next response will be garbage is up to him.

DATCMOTO provided a good explanation, which is presumably a Protestant explanation. I am aware that the Catholic explanation defines sex along similar lines, as it was meant to have twofold purpose: Unitive and procreative. In the eyes of God, if *both* of these are not met in a single act of intercourse, it is unacceptable. This makes homosexuality, rape, masturbation, or premarital sex also sinful. However, I recall a prior member making a note about biblical marriage and believe that it is acceptable. Whether or not it is acceptable to Catholics, I do no know.

if anyone would like to know, then no, this is unnacceptable by catholics (and by God, but we don't need to start arguing about what God wants, i'm just saying that catholics are against it FOR God, you follow?)

Paul clearly teaches that sex is a joyful thing to be enjoyed for it's own sake and not merely for procreation as the Catholic church has pushed since very early times. (and done a lot of damage with)

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.





"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

-Paul, 1 Corinthians 7:1-8 (in other words, the context that was not provided in the previous saying)

Yes, it is very clear from "It is good for a man not to touch a woman" and "it is better to marry than to burn" that Paul thought sex was to be enjoyed in and of itself...

So, you're providing context to agree with me.. o.. k...

Matthew 12:30 (The Message)

30"This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you're not on my side, you're the enemy; if you're not helping, you're making things worse.

The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 4:11:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/18/2009 1:05:20 AM, brittwaller wrote:
"So, you're providing context to agree with me.. o.. k..."

Obviously not. Try again.

ME:
Paul clearly teaches that sex is a joyful thing to be enjoyed for it's own sake and not merely for procreation as the Catholic church has pushed since very early times. (and done a lot of damage with)

YOU:
Yes, it is very clear from "It is good for a man not to touch a woman" and "it is better to marry than to burn" that Paul thought sex was to be enjoyed in and of itself...

Proverbs 6:2
You are snared by the words of your mouth; You are taken by the words of your mouth.
The Cross.. the Cross.
brittwaller
Posts: 331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 10:14:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Exactly.

Are you trying to give the impression that you have the reading comprehension of a five-year-old, or is that your actual comprehension skill?
Don't I take care of them all?
The-Hand
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 12:48:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Here is a good quote that partially describes why sex is discouraged in Judeo Christian religions.

'When you make love you're using up energy; and afterwards
you feel happy and don't give a damn for anything. They can't
bear you to feel like that. They want you to be bursting with
energy all the time. All this marching up and down and cheering
and waving flags is simply sex gone sour. If you're happy
inside yourself, why should you get excited about Big Brother
and the Three-Year Plans and the Two Minutes Hate and all the
rest of their bloody rot?'

Basically, having enjoyable sex often destroys the focus that people have on God, but, at the same time, the guilt that people have when they have sex allows them to run back to their religion. This also happened in 1984, when, after Winston had sex with Julia, he retreated back to the Party and started working on the weekends for the Party. Any pleasure aside from a God or the Party is considered bad because it breeds dissent from religion or the party into whatever is giving the person the pleasure.

Heres a video that explains it.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 2:06:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/18/2009 10:14:03 AM, brittwaller wrote:
Exactly.

Are you trying to give the impression that you have the reading comprehension of a five-year-old, or is that your actual comprehension skill?

It called Biblical discernment. I have it, you do not.
You do not understand the Bible because you do not stand under its authority.

Paul is saying "If you wanna be really really Holy it's best not to be married but IF you are married then don't with-hold yourselves from each other"

Clear?

Matthew 12:30 (The Message)

30"This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you're not on my side, you're the enemy; if you're not helping, you're making things worse.

I will not 'talk to the Hand'!
The Cross.. the Cross.
brittwaller
Posts: 331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 2:35:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/18/2009 2:06:21 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/18/2009 10:14:03 AM, brittwaller wrote:
Exactly.

Are you trying to give the impression that you have the reading comprehension of a five-year-old, or is that your actual comprehension skill?

It called Biblical discernment. I have it, you do not.
You do not understand the Bible because you do not stand under its authority.

Paul is saying "If you wanna be really really Holy it's best not to be married but IF you are married then don't with-hold yourselves from each other"

Clear?



Incorrect. It is called reading comprehension - understanding what you have read correctly. Which you have not done. And now you're changing the subject, of course.

"It is good for a man NOT to touch a woman" is fairly straightforward and clear - its meaning being exactly what it says.
"It is better to marry than to burn" is not talking about those that ARE ALREADY married; it relates to the above point in saying that: "It's best not to have physical relations, period. However, if you cannot control your sex drive, get married. That's bad enough, but it's better than going around screwing williy-nilly, for which you will burn."

Nowhere does Paul say anything near your misguided interpretation. The explicit opposite, in fact.

And yes, you are correct on one thing: I do not stand under the authority of fairy-tales, although I think many are pretty.
Don't I take care of them all?